• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 4 Leaks [Update 3: 170 New Leaked Images]

Nibel

I will never believe that this is Doom 4.

Looks like someone took some RAGE assets and modified them a bit.

cilonen

With the exception of the fire tornado shot, these could pass for early Fallout 4 shots easily and that'll be a Bethesda/Zenimax project.

Yeah I don't understand the hate towards the graphics of this supposed WIP of Doom 4. But I guess id software ain't cool anymore!!

I guess some people nowadays need shitty specularity on their graphics.

Also... if Doom 4 got cancelled and Diablo III forever delayed, would that mean that PC gaming is doomed? :p Just kidding.

54-46!

With the exception of the fire tornado shot, these could pass for early Fallout 4 shots easily and that'll be a Bethesda/Zenimax project.
No, there are some buildings in the background of some shots there that are taken straight out of Rage, overall everything looks very id tech 5.

cilonen

No, there are some buildings in the background of some shots there that are taken straight out of Rage, overall everything looks very id tech 5.

Ah, I see, I'm not at all familiar with rage. Wishful thinking on my part for wanting some Fallout 4 info :)

I think it's that outside that one shot of the vortex in the sky, most of these shots might as well be from any disaster/war/alien invasion movie. Nothing "Hellish" about them. Obviously later parts would ramp that up, but at this point I'm tired of seeing destroyed modern cityscapes with burnt out cars, garbage in alleyways, and convenient semi trailers and rubble blocking off streets.

I think people need to differentiate between their distaste of this type of setting vs. "the graphics look like shit/trash". The visuals at the very least look above average, but some of the comments on how terrible the visuals look warrant a double-take. It could also be troll bait, which I hope is the case.

Emitan

/v/ told me NeoGAF should be named Sony Age Forums because how all the mods have a hard on for Sony and ban you for insulting them, so whatever.

*suddenly remembers his first ban was in a Sony thread*

Waitaminute!

Zeliard

I think it's that outside that one shot of the vortex in the sky, most of these shots might as well be from any disaster/war/alien invasion movie. Nothing "Hellish" about them. Obviously later parts would ramp that up, but at this point I'm tired of seeing destroyed modern cityscapes with burnt out cars, garbage in alleyways, and convenient semi trailers and rubble blocking off streets.

Yeah it's the level design that's a potential concern, invisible walls, strict linearity, etc. I want a return to the maze-like level design of old, mixing 'corridors' with more open sections in a way the originals did, and in a way that doesn't make it feel like the game is guiding you down some path as 90% of modern shooters do.

There's largely been some unfortunate trade-off in FPS between fun level design and "better" visuals as time goes on and hopefully that won't hit Doom 4.

Goody

It looks pretty generic without some Cacodemons and Archvilles hanging out, but I'm OK with it if these are legitimate.

Though I do have the feeling that Doom 4 will be this decade's Duke Nukem Forever.

PnCIa

It seemed like the project was in a desolated state when they fired all those people. Otherwise it doesn´t make much sense that no one saw what was going on, i mean they are working in the same building :p
Those shoots look okay, yeah it´s WIP but the general direction is clearly visible. But yes, actually it looks a lot like Rage. I just hope they have dynamic lighting and shadowing in Doom 4, i´m not sure if thats the case in these screens.

cilonen

It looks pretty generic without some Cacodemons and Archvilles hanging out, but I'm OK with it if these are legitimate.

Though I do have the feeling that Doom 4 will be this decade's Duke Nukem Forever.

It's a straight fight between FF versus XIII and Doom 4 for the "new DNF" title.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
visuals look average, period. Metro 2033 (PC) and Killzone 3 look better than that. Well, I'm not so sure about KZ3 but I'm sure about Metro on PC.

Not sure if they're real or not, but some of those shots look like they are done in the rage engine.. so much that i'd fail to believe they were not, especially the sky box.

They look great, especially for development shots.

and /v/ isn't always like that for people who don't always go there, it's celebration of the harmony anniversary.

Kade

I think these are either from an expansion to Rage or scrapped levels. They all have the ugly pastel textures from Rage.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
visuals look average, period. Metro 2033 (PC) and Killzone 3 look better than that. Well, I'm not so sure about KZ3 but I'm sure about Metro on PC.

Funny, I didn't realize Doom 4 has released.. let me check the metacritic on it..

Krilekk

Banned
Those shots look awesome to me. I don't see the issue. The texture works look absolutely phenomenal to me.

That said, the visuals don't exactly jive with what I would expect from Doom 4.

I don't know, Carmack said it would look 3x as good as Rage because of the lower framerate. And I don't see that at all in these screens. And destroyed human cities are pretty much the most boring stuff anyone can come up with. Would only be worse if it was set in NYC. I look at Doom 1 and then at this and I just want to cry. I hope it's fake.

injurai

Banned

The one screen shot that you deem hellish enough looks like it was lifted from HL2. If this game isn't cancelled I hope at the very least its getting a large redesign.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't know, Carmack said it would look 3x as good as Rage because of the lower framerate. And I don't see that at all in these screens. And destroyed human cities are pretty much the most boring stuff anyone can come up with. Would only be worse if it was set in NYC. I look at Doom 1 and then at this and I just want to cry. I hope it's fake.

I hope they will restart this project.

or id is pretty much dead.

Wasn't Rage 60fps though?

I'm pretty sure they are going the opposite direction with Doom 4, dropping it down to 30fps in order to have better graphics.

I believe Carmack posted in a tweet or gave an answer in an interview stating SP would be 30fps and MP at 60fps on consoles.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
/v/ told me NeoGAF should be named Sony Age Forums because how all the mods have a hard on for Sony and ban you for insulting them, so whatever.

*suddenly remembers his first ban was in a Sony thread*

Waitaminute!

My first ban was for being dissapointed over how the PS3 had shit for games besides MGS4.

I'm beginning to see a trend here..

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The art style would make more sense as a Rage prequel DLC campaign. Especially because some of the assets used look incredibly similar to the ones in Rage.

Angry Fork

What's with hating ID?

Probably because Rage was meh and people are annoyed that id spent years making this supposed super amazing megatexture engine and nothing really came of it. id fans raging (no pun intended) that Rage wasn't better, or they're taking too much time on Doom 4 or something I'm not sure.

I'm not really big on id so I'm just on the sidelines although I am looking forward to Doom 4. I can feel the pain in a similar fashion when it comes to Valve though, who I'm increasingly getting annoyed by because of their ignoring of Half Life. But at least Valve has put out lots of games this gen, id hasn't so I'm sure id fans are pissed.

If the game looked like that I wouldn't mind. Doom is also about tension, being placed in impossible circumstances, co-op and fast tight gameplay. I also want to see some awesome takes on the monster design. I hope they are generous with enemies like the cyber demon. I want at least two walking around downtown Manhattan as I'm evading a barrage of rockets.

peakish

I think that is two levels of the game at most. I expect 1/4 of the game to take place in Hell.

Going by these screens I'd expect a third of the game in a ruined city, one third where the city has been gradually slipping into nightmarish environments and the final third in actual Hell. Could be cool but who knows.

Special J

Banned
this looks nothing like Doom, doesnt have any future scifi aesthetic.

it was probably some other project that id was working on which may have never gotten off the ground. maybe only conceptual phase. and probably why the word 'cancelled' was attached to this.

Top Bottom