• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 4 Leaks [Update 3: 170 New Leaked Images]

ITT: People know absolutly nothing about game development (or Doom) and talk about how bad the game looks in a development version.

StuBurns

Banned
this looks nothing like Doom, doesnt have any future scifi aesthetic.

it was probably some other project that id was working on which may have never gotten off the ground. maybe only conceptual phase. and probably why the word 'cancelled' was attached to this.
There was a project before Rage, but this game is clearly on the new idTech, with megatextures already in place, which puts it as at the very least five years old, and Doom is the only other game we know they're working on.

I can see why people would be disappointed by the art direction, but I'd much rather play something that looks like Half-Life 2 than Doom 3.

In this thread I've learned how few people have actually played Doom II.
I think people who played Doom II probably just remember the double barreled shotgun and the color brown. The fact that it took place on earth was pretty academic, given the capability of the graphics of the time.

peakish

ITT: People know absolutly nothing about game development (or Doom) and talk about how bad the game looks in a development version.
You can only judge what you can see, not whatever hypothetical amazingness that lies hidden in Id's offices. Though one should keep in mind that (again, if true) it is a version that they don't think is ready to show yet for whatever reason (and doesn't include stuff like actual characters). I think most commenters know this.

(._.)

Banned
Dawg, can you post some detailed impressions? I'm really eager to hear how the full game is.

^^^^^^ angry sarcastic DOOM 3 fan

I personally thought Rage was visually pretty despite the static lighting due to the work of the artists. It just tended to look colorful and attractive, with some oddities while in motion due to the static nature and some pop-in at times (though I never had it nearly to the extent some others did).

Rage is like opposite-id on a tech/art level. Usually their games are known for their rich tech, with their art being almost besides the point other than some memorable enemy models (and Quake 1's Lovecraft-inspired atmosphere). Still it's impressive to get a game running at 60 FPS on consoles in the first place, especially one with lots of action and fairly large 3D environments.

RAGE was a very nice looking game. Art wise it has some of the best looking 3d environments to date. Environments were so so full of detail. I also loved the gun models. The game itself was boring but I enjoyed it just from taking in the environments they made.

Zeliard

These various rumors/truths/etc may just point to problems in development but it is really, really doubtful that the project is canceled. The most it would probably ever be is remade, but a full cancellation seems an impossibility.

Starting fresh isn't exactly the most resource-efficient thing to do but the Doom name is one of the biggest in gaming and would undoubtedly be a big hit, especially given the large boost in popularity of FPS on consoles since Doom 3.

And on PC there's been a massive leap in distribution through services like Steam. You simply put Doom 4 on Steam's front page and it will sell like a motherfucker. It's really a no-brainer.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
In this thread I've learned how few people have actually played Doom II.

Yeah, how the fuck could people forget that Doom II took place on Earth! I mean look how distinctly Earthy it was!!!

zdoom2012-02-2814-26-8gkga.png

zdoom2012-02-2814-25-wfk9m.png

robin2

I can't believe they ditched the cyber-industrial design.

Doom 2 was indeed on earth but was still a futuristic earth.

Contemporary devastated urban setting is just the most boring choice they could have made.

Angry Fork

The screenshots were posted here 6 weeks ago:

http://game.playwares.com/xe/?document_srl=21660775

Can someone translate ?

Someone did here:

I don't speak Korean anymore, but hey, why not.

"Not official. It's a portfolio uploaded piece-by-piece by the ex-director.

The title being used is "Doom," but it could change, don't know what's official and what could be changed later on.

The atmosphere is very similar to Rage, so the fear is that the graphics will raise some problems later on.

Doom's background was always space, but this time, it appears to be on Earth.

PC and XBOX360, PS3 are being targeted, unlike Rage it'll be locked at 30 fps (PC version is perhaps 60 frames?)

The plan is to have lots of monsters from past Doom games appear in the game."

The screenshots were posted here 6 weeks ago:

http://game.playwares.com/xe/?document_srl=21660775

Can someone translate ?

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgame.playwares.com%2Fxe%2F%3Fdocument_srl%3D21660775

Doom 4 (working title) Screenshots of the development

Full Version screen shots are not ex director of the portfolio is called fractionally raised.

In the title of "Doom" that you are using gauze and also what might change after official released is unknown.

Rage graphics and atmosphere emit very similar to the graphical issues and raise a whole lot is scared.

Doom background universe was always in the background to this look as if the earth well.

Including PC, XBOX360, PS 3 is released both as a lazy, instead of being driven at 30 frames unlike (PC probably 60 frames) in the

A focus on the past, a several dozen massacres of Doom monsters that appear on the screen that are undergoing development goals.

stuminus3

Starting fresh isn't exactly the most resource-efficient thing to do but the Doom name is one of the biggest in gaming and would undoubtedly be a big hit, especially given the large boost in popularity of FPS on consoles since Doom 3.
This is a double-edged sword. It's been a long time since Doom 3. The fact that Modern Warfare etc has happened since then may actually have the opposite effect to what you say. I know kids that play CoD every day that wouldn't have the first clue what Doom is, nor are they likely to ever care.

I think this is partially the reason for the hate-on for Id in 2012 - neither Doom 3 or RAGE are bad games, but they're remarkably run-of-the-mill considering how long they took to make and how many other similar popular FPS are out there now, whereas the genre might not even have existed had it not been for the splash damage of 1990s-era Id.

scitek

another game set in new york?

dear developers: there are countries other than america and cities other than new york in the world

"Dear godelsmetric,

We tried that, no one cared.

All the best,
Insomniac"

The one shot with the McDonald's arches has a Doom ad, too.

Dachande

I don't know why people are saying it "doesn't look like Doom". Doom 3 looked nothing like Doom 1 and 2 by virtue of being developed approximately a billion years later, and Doom 1 and 2 had lots and lots of non-sci-fi styles across all of their levels. Doom's always been about hell invading a human setting, which fits with these screenshots.

The McDonalds arch still makes me think these are probably not real images though, because that would never get put into the game itself. I guess it's possible they're concept arts that used unfinished in-game/engine shots with a substantial paintover, though.

Sciz

Not crazy about the art design, but I could live with it as long as they aren't trying to modernize the rest of the game again. I'd like to believe that this won't end up being another corridor shooter with a maximum enemy count of three.

Zeliard

This is a double-edged sword. It's been a long time since Doom 3. The fact that Modern Warfare etc has happened since then may actually have the opposite effect to what you say. I know kids that play CoD every day that wouldn't have the first clue what Doom is, nor are they likely to ever care.

I think this is partially the reason for the hate-on for Id in 2012 - neither Doom 3 or RAGE are bad games, but they're remarkably run-of-the-mill considering how long they took to make and how many other similar popular FPS are out there now, whereas the genre might not even have existed had it not been for the splash damage of 1990s-era Id.

Well, id isn't the only company that kept innovating in the 90s and then stagnated in the 00s. Part of that has to do with graphical expectations going up as time goes on and progressively more resources going there, and a lot to do with publishers not willing to invest in creativity at the expense of a known quantity.

id ultimately felt the brunt of that and so they became a Zenimax subsidiary. id is a company that released Doom 1, Quake 1, 2 and 3 in 6-year span, which seems unimaginable now. While they have lost some strong designers - especially John Romero who was so instrumental in early id level design - I don't doubt that id is still capable of something great.

And they still have the right idea about some critical things, i.e. responsiveness. Carmack shot for 60 FPS on consoles when for a shooter or most 3D games in general, it's practically unheard of outside of CoD. Granted that doesn't really do anything for those of us who play on PC, but it's still the proper game design idea.

Rage still had some goofiness i.e. the iron sights, most of the level design, and a kind of worthless storyline. They had these amazingly detailed and well-drawn character models for various NPCs and did almost nothing of worth with any of them. But gameplay-wise I still enjoyed it for its crisp responsiveness and enemy animations.

DarkChild

Banned
Carmack said he had argument with his artists about use of post processing effects in RAGE. They didn't have enough performance to do it Cryteks way, but even the little they had was not his choice. He said that he thinks it destroys pretty pixels. I'm glad artists won that debate, because without nice post processing this is how the games look. Make higher resolution textures than ones here and you get the picture. Add nice bloom, reflections, bokeh DOF and motion blur and the whole picture is different.

TedNindo

That doesn't look all that impressive to me considering what Doom 3 looked like in 2004.

It is obviously legit though. You can tell that it uses the same kind of megatexture technology as Rage. Lots of variation in textures and details. But it doesn't really look like Doom to me. It has a lot of nice details. Just like Rage which had imo some of the best looking locations of any FPS this generation. But it's nothing mind blowing.

Maybe they started over now that the largest team is off Rage and joined the Doom team?

Anyway... ID should have stayed on PC. I bet that with current tech they could've given the Samaritan Demo a run for its money.

Well, id isn't the only company that kept innovating in the 90s and then stagnated in the 00s. Part of that has to do with graphical expectations going up as time goes on and progressively more resources going there, and a lot to do with publishers not willing to invest in creativity at the expense of a known quantity.

id ultimately felt the brunt of that and so they became a Zenimax subsidiary. id is a company that released Doom 1, Quake 1, 2 and 3 in 6-year span, which seems unimaginable now. While they have lost some strong designers - especially John Romero who was so instrumental in early id level design - I don't doubt that id is still capable of something great.

And they still have the right idea about some critical things, i.e. responsiveness. Carmack shot for 60 FPS on consoles when for a shooter or most 3D games in general, it's practically unheard of outside of CoD. Granted that doesn't really do anything for those of us who play on PC, but it's still the proper game design idea.

Rage still had some goofiness i.e. the iron sights, most of the level design, and a kind of worthless storyline. They had these amazingly detailed and well-drawn character models for various NPCs and did almost nothing of worth with any of them. But gameplay-wise I still enjoyed it for its crisp responsiveness and enemy animations.
'

I've always wondered; what is American McGee's influence here. He was a level designer for id, right? Was he a lackey to a certain degree or did he have a more prominent role in the level design of earlier titles?

I think people who played Doom II probably just remember the double barreled shotgun and the color brown. The fact that it took place on earth was pretty academic, given the capability of the graphics of the time.

Really? The most memorable levels to me were the sprawling, open two levels which were very clearly set on Earth.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
'

I've always wondered; what is American McGee's influence here. He was a level designer for id, right? Was he a lackey to a certain degree or did he have a more prominent role in the level design of earlier titles?

he designed a lot of levels.

Sandy Petersen designed a lot of levels + influenced art-direction with his obsession for Lovecraft

Zeliard

'

Large, I have to imagine. He was one of the primary level designers. The team wasn't very large back then, and McGee worked on much of the great id stuff till he was unceremoniously fired for whatever reason.

Dunno that Carmack's always been the easiest guy to get along with. Romero gets a lot of shit and he deserves it for Ion Storm, but it's unfortunate that his amazing work at id has been so overshadowed by his later stuff.

The visuals aren't technically impressive for sure, but I actually dig the concept of having it set on Earth, especially if they were intending to go for epic set pieces that have portals to Hell tearing landscapes apart as you play through... at least that's the direction some of these screenshots seem to indicate

doom47my33.jpg

Reminds me of Alone in The Dark Inferno oddly enough.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I would pay money to a kickstarter to make the OG Doom team kiss and make up and work together on a Doom 4. Like force Mcgee and Romero to design an episode worth of levels each and maybe let them have an artist to help with textures.

I mean, it was fucking unreal how good Doom 1's level design was.

dr_rus

Guys, you do understand that Doom 3 was kind of a reimagining of Doom 1 and Doom 2 was set on Earth and had a "Hell on Earth" subtitle in the readme, right? Why is it such a surprise to some of you that a sequel to Doom 3 would be a reimagining of Doom 2 and, as Doom 2, will be set on Earth?

Top Bottom