• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 4 Leaks [Update 3: 170 New Leaked Images]

mantidor

Doom 64 was $126 CDN back in the days. I rented it twice and beat it. I remember the final area being super scary. The music was pretty bad though.

what!? the music was awesome! I admit it was more atmospheric and ambient than the rock-like music of I and II but it was still awesome and it was really scary.

Helscream

Banned
Also, the new popular shooters have the "Unlock more powerful gear the more you play" thing that kill the competitive scene. It's not Who's the Best, but Who has played more.

Funny thing is Arena Shooters in general are really freaking balanced when you think about it. Everyone spawns with the same HP and weapon. It's up to you to grab/reach the armor quad damage or other weapons. Everyone can move at the same speed jump at the same height (or wall dodge). So you really have the most balanced playing field for everyone. I guess people are intimidated by the fact that if you get your ass kicked in a arena shooter you have to admit you suck. The only legitimate complaint that can be made is ping, but you can see that before you enter a server. And if its a LAN party you don't have to worry about ping. Sigh fuck modern FPS games.

Adnor

Banned
Check out DOOM 64: Absolution if you want to play a version of it on PC. 64 is the one console version of the game that's definitely worth playing.

Oh man, I have to try that, thanks :D

Also, talking of Doom, have you guys played Doom: The Roguelike? It's a very simple roguelike, based in Doom, with the music, sound and enemies of the game. It's pretty good. Well, the other day they released DoomRL 0.9.9.6, the graphical release, with a tileset by Derek Yu, the author of Spelunky.
Tdvt0.png

or1BS.png
http://doom.chaosforge.org/

EDIT: Also, shouldn't someone update the topic? id said that the images aren't of Doom 4

Saty

Bethesda seem reluctant to release sales figures beyond the month of October. Surely it's sold at least a million by now.

Dunno. Didn't appear in NPD top ten after the first month. Not sure how it did in the UK. I guess it should have passed a million with PC DD figures but i get why they won't make a statement for it. ~1M is likely to be less than they were hoping for and surely not nearly enough for all the years it took them.

Ciastek3214

Oh man, I have to try that, thanks :D

Also, talking of Doom, have you guys played Doom: The Roguelike? It's a very simple roguelike, based in Doom, with the music, sound and enemies of the game. It's pretty good. Well, the other day they released DoomRL 0.9.9.6, the graphical release, with a tileset by Derek Yu, the author of Spelunky.

Holy shit, the guy who made it is named Kornel Kisielewicz. It's a polish name. Another awesome game from Poland.

Interesting. I'd played the RL before, but I didn't know about this graphical update. Not that I was having too much issue mapping the graphics out in my head, but still.

I'm not entirely sure what Halo or Call of Duty added that would add a "level of sophistication not present in the original Dooms". Can you elaborate?

For one thing, Halo's combat mechanics and AI are on a completely different level. I don't even like that series but I have to admit it's one intense and dynamic game on Legendary (never played much online so I can't comment on that). People don't want to circle strafe mindless drones while hunting for keys in mazes anymore.

Robot Pants

Halo's combat mechanics and AI are on a completely different level. I don't even like that series but I have to admit it's one intense and dynamic game on Legendary. People don't want to circle strafe mindless drones while hunting for keys in mazes anymore.

That's ok, RAGE took care of that AI problem. It'll be present and possibly better in DOOM 4 and you'll forget all about...Haloololol.

That's ok, RAGE took care of that AI problem. It'll be present and possibly better in DOOM 4 and you'll forget all about...Haloololol.

Oh I liked Rage (and Doom3) and I'm very much looking forward to Doom 4, I'm very happy it's not like the old Dooms. I like going back to them, but...

And Halo kills Rage in the AI and combat department

Sciz

People don't want to circle strafe mindless drones while hunting for keys in mazes anymore.

I can't help but wonder how many people are out there who might really enjoy this kind of gameplay but just haven't been exposed to it because no one makes that sort of game any more.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Just popping in to join in on the Doom 64 love. But the game needed the same awesome thrash metal MIDI music from the PC games.

Just popping in to join in on the Doom 64 love. But the game needed the same awesome thrash metal MIDI music from the PC games.

D64 was close to being the best in the series but yeah, the music needed a little variety. I love the brooding ambient stuff. But it needed something to break it up a bit. Also, they took out some of the best enemies- the commandos, arch-viles, spider mastermind and revenants. If they could have loaded these enemies in plus a 2-player co-op it'd be no contest for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dunno. Didn't appear in NPD top ten after the first month. Not sure how it did in the UK. I guess it should have passed a million with PC DD figures but i get why they won't make a statement for it. ~1M is likely to be less than they were hoping for and surely not nearly enough for all the years it took them.

While Rage took several years to complete, Bethesda didn't step in as publisher until mid-2009 (after the Zenimax buyout of id)... but even then they'd have to foot the bill for a 200-person studio for ~27 months. Still, a million sold - if the game has in fact reached that point - is a better figure to have floating around the public ether than ~550k, especially considering that Rage allegedly selling next to nothing is what began the Doom 4 cancellation rumours.

RiverBed

Banned
ok; does the leaks mean anything negative for development? I am used to leaks being a sign of going under, but not id.

Is Doom 4 still on course?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
D64 was close to being the best in the series but yeah, the music needed a little variety. I love the brooding ambient stuff. But it needed something to break it up a bit. Also, they took out some of the best enemies- the commandos, arch-viles, spider mastermind and revenants. If they could have loaded these enemies in plus a 2-player co-op it'd be no contest for me.

Ambient stuff is nice, but doesn't really get me geared up and wanting to just kill shit like ripoffs of Slayer, AC/DC or Megadeth does, and I don't even like Slayer!

Ithil

DOOM 64 was a better DOOM 3 than DOOM 3 was. So good.

It's the only game in the series to be truly scary too (DOOM 1 and 2 have their creepy bits, but the cartoony colours lessen it, and DOOM 3's jump scares get old and predictable fast).

Very Quake 1 type atmosphere, thanks to the dark locations and creepy as fuck ambient music (seriously, some of the music is downright horrifying). But still full of demons to gruesomely mow down, so it's still very much DOOM.

I also liked the updated to the classic monsters better in 64 than 3. While some of the ones in 3 were cool, a lot seemed to different and not really anything to do with the old ones except the names. DOOM 64's updated sprite designs were faithful and seemed like this was what they would have looked like originally if they had better graphics. I'd love to see them in full 3D.

DaBuddaDa

ok; does the leaks mean anything negative for development? I am used to leaks being a sign of going under, but not id.

Who knows really. Half-Life 2 had a much worse leak than this a year before it came out and look what happened there...

I always thought the atmosphere of Doom 64, while extremely well-done, was off-putting. I mean, I suppose your first run through a Doom map could have lots of pop-scares and that tingling feeling of dread, but, well, most of the Doom maps I've played tend to be more about large slaughters than that kind of atmosphere - and yet, it's the atmosphere that Doom 64 goes all-out for. Your mileage may vary on whether or not this is a good thing or not, but I always preferred the atmosphere Doom 2 put forth.

Still worth playing, though.

Incidentally, I noticed ZDoom's SVN had a /doom64 branch, apparently designed to work with the WAD Doom64EX puts out. I did try compiling it, but to no real avail (everything was either pitch-black or part of a HOM, and moving crashed the game). I hope they make progress on that...

Grayman

The rumor was that people were laid off when the Rage team finished up and started looking at what was done on Doom 4. That is probably the source of the leaks.

Apollyon

Neo Member

DoomRL got updated? And with a graphical tileset?! I need to get this.

Everyone else should, too. It's fun as a roguelike, but more so for Doom fans. Might be some surprises in store for fans of other things like,
Equilibrium
WH40K
, or
Trigun
(seriously), if you're lucky. And keep in mind that while it's a faster-paced Roguelike, it's still a Roguelike, so there's a very high chance that you're going to get fucked over horribly at some point.

Elios83

I'm kinda late to the thread but I think it looks really similar to Rage, with a bit of Killzone and Resident Evil here and there. Overall I like the direction.
In the screens it looks early in development with lots of low res placeholder textures....honestly I don't get why this game is taking so long...hopefully it hasn't gone in development hell due to IdTech 5 and a change in direction...maybe they started with something linear and classic which was scrapped in favour of an open world.

msv

Every regular quaker is now playing Quake Live, but id Software doesn't allow the mods on Quake Live... So id software killed a lot of work of the community.

Damn those guys :(
Can't agree more. QL is also a large part of why my faith in id is pretty much lost.

When you get to playing QL, the shambles it's in, it's worse than anyone could've come up with. No matchmaking whatsoever, merely a serverlist. See a game with 7 out of 8 players, join, oh wait there are ads that prevent you from loading a game for 10+ seconds - server full. Game loading all up once in the browser tab, and then it goes to fullscreen only to load again.

Waiting for over a year to come up with a subscription service, only to fuck it up for everyone who doesn't have a credit card, I mean really? It's like they don't want your money. What kind of international product would only allow credit cards.

No windowed fullscreen, i.e. no proper multitasking/alt tabbing. Can't even use your browser if you're in fullscreen, how fucked up is that. Would've been better if they made it standalone then, the only advantage you have is not being able to use your browser while you play, say what?

Can't report players at all, how hard could it have been to put up a 'report' button. Don't remember if they ever had one, but it's not here now. Maybe they removed it for non paying players, because a horrible user experience is definitely going to make me go the extra mile to find someone with a credit card and pay them for this butchered up Q3.

They really could have had something huge here, so sad to see them just throw it in the garbage bin like this. Bleh bleh, every time i play QL again (just did), it leaves behind a sour taste :/

Pctx

Banned
I want more of this.

iZFmjQ4hXSKV.png

I wanted to quote this because I think Doom 4 has an opportunity to kick up the sickness factor of the content matter in which we're dealing with.

Quake in some ways got this right (the first one) over even Doom but I want to see the grotesque side of 'Hell on Earth'.

Anustart

Doom 64, ah how I loved that as a kid. I didn't have a computer for most of my childhood so I had to settle with renting Doom on the snes over and over, and since I hasn't experienced the pc version, I found it quite playable.

Then Doom 64 came out and just blew me away.

I recently played through doom 2 & 3, and I'm itching for more. I even found Doom 3 to be an excellent game and wouldn't object to Doom 4 being that but darker and more ' evil'.

MYE

I dont like how this looks at all. The setting ughhh

How hard is it to recreate Doom64 setting and feel? D:

I wanted to quote this because I think Doom 4 has an opportunity to kick up the sickness factor of the content matter in which we're dealing with.

Quake in some ways got this right (the first one) over even Doom but I want to see the grotesque side of 'Hell on Earth'.
I know Quake 4 doesn't get much love here but man... There was some pretty fucked up shit in that game.

Top Bottom