• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal generated £323m in just nine months

pasterpl

From eurogamer

Doom Eternal reportedly generated over £323 million ($450m) in the first nine months of its release.

Bethesda had already trumpeted that the launch of Doom Eternal was the series' best-ever in terms of opening week sales, but at the time the publisher didn't give exact figures, instead only confirming the game had doubled the launch weekend revenue of Doom's 2016 reboot.
Now, however, a statement on a former id Software developer's LinkedIn profile has revealed those numbers translated to $450 million in revenue (thanks, ResetEra) - that's £323 million.

The LinkedIn profile is seemingly now no longer publicly accessible, but the former "monetization designer" and product management lead worked at id Software for three years before leaving the studio last year.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
So incredibly well deserved IMO. I certainly hope its success gains the attention of other AAA devs and pubs.

Please take us back to a world of complete and functional games. Ones without loot boxes and greedy monetization.

I still personally wish that Eternal had an improved DM from 2016. But I'm still really happy with what we got. Especially the DLC, which isn't even complete yet! 😭🙏🏻❤️

So incredibly well deserved IMO. I certainly hope its success gains the attention of other AAA devs and pubs.

Please take us back to a world of complete and functional games. Ones without loot boxes and greedy monetization.

I still personally wish that Eternal had an improved DM from 2016. But I'm still really happy with what we got. Especially the DLC, which isn't even complete yet! 😭🙏🏻❤️
My man, a classic DM would just have been the icing above the cake. But tbh I really don't care, the single-player content was that good that I had to replay it again on Nightmare just after beating it on UV.

Can't wait for the DLC. I haven't played it yet because I'm waiting for Part II to be released and then do another full playthrough before diving into it, but man, waiting is hard and I don't even know when Part II is coming out. :goog_relieved:

amigastar

My man, a classic DM would just have been the icing above the cake. But tbh I really don't care, the single-player content was that good that I had to replay it again on Nightmare just after beating it on UV.

Can't wait for the DLC. I haven't played it yet because I'm waiting for Part II to be released and then do another full playthrough before diving into it, but man, waiting is hard and I don't even know when Part II is coming out. :goog_relieved:
You're in for a surprise because the DLC's difficulty is as hard on Hurt me plenty as the main game is on nightmare.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member

I hear ya! I tampered with Battlegrounds for a bit, but it just made me wish it was DM, haha. That being said, I totally agree. It made me realize how much I didn't care for the multiplayer component at all. I just kept replaying the campaign over and over.

Really?! I'm excited for you! It's R E L E N T L E S S AF! I can't even imagine how part 2 will be. So hyped about it, and the conclusion!

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Best FPS' in its (nuanced) genre which I've played in a while. Good to hear about it's succes although that statement says nothing about my personal preferences regarding Etarnal, the previous 2016 reboot or it's inevitable successor. : )

Last edited:
You're in for a surprise because the DLC's difficulty is as hard on Hurt me plenty as the main game is on nightmare.
I hear ya! I tampered with Battlegrounds for a bit, but it just made me wish it was DM, haha. That being said, I totally agree. It made me realize how much I didn't care for the multiplayer component at all. I just kept replaying the campaign over and over.

Really?! I'm excited for you! It's R E L E N T L E S S AF! I can't even imagine how part 2 will be. So hyped about it, and the conclusion!
Haha okay okay, wtf. I almost had a heart attack on the base game during the Slayer Gate that had two Cyberdemons out of nowhere. Guess I'll have to play with some heart pills at hand or something. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Haha okay okay, wtf. I almost had a heart attack on the base game during the Slayer Gate that had two Cyberdemons out of nowhere. Guess I'll have to play with some heart pills at hand or something. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Heed my words. When the day comes, make sure you've had enough sleep, your eyes aren't dry, and you're caffeinated like a MF. 🤣

Shit, that's without even knowing what we're in for with Part 2!

amigastar

Finished it on PC where it's manageable, for controller tho. No chance, at least for me.
Yeah, i can't imagine playing it on Controller also.
Also if you finished it on Hurt me plenty then congrats wasn't easy for sure.

Last edited:
Finished it on PC where it's manageable, for controller tho. No chance, at least for me.
I really think this game has been designed witk KB+M on mind, much more than 2016. The faster action, combined with the precision needed to shoot to certain demon body parts... Seems like hell on console.

Makes me wonder. There has been a lot of criticism to this game for being "too much" and I wonder how much of that comes from people who played with a gamepad.

Im really gonna have to try the new Doom games ain't I? Lol
Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

Play the first one. Most people liked it and it's not too fast nor too convoluted.

If you want more, play Eternal. It's my favorite of the new DOOM games but it has also been more divisive, as it seems to have too many mechanics that you have to use if you don't want to get swacked.

Chiggs

I have tried repeatedly to get into Doom Eternal, and I just can’t. And it’s not the difficulty, either.

makaveli60

Good. I need a nextgen only sequel that is more in line with 2016’s art direction (no floating pickups, rainbows etc.), though Eternal is awesome as well. BTW, replaying 2016 on PS5 now and it's still a blast.

Hope their next DLC is gonna add Arcade like mode from 2016 that was a blast trying to out do my friends sessions on the leader boards. Eternal feels like it was designed for Arcade mode.

Last edited:
One of my favourite games. The gameplay is ridiculously fun yet challenging. The music is absolutely top notch. It took 2016 and turned the dial right the fuck up. Love this game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Good for them. I had a hard time getting into this one, but I certainly don't want id software to fail.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The only thing about doom eternal is I wish it would just STFU, the first game had a few small cutscenes and with the exception of the office scene was well paced. Eternal on the other hand goes out of the way to try and explain everything in the lore, turning doom guy from an unknown avatar of vengeance into a generic super soldier in armour, it made the entire experience far less interesting and the longer the game went on and explained doom guys back story the less interested and powerful I felt.

Some times less is more.

The game was good, I didn't care for the DLC.

I'd be more interested in seeing the break down of where the money was generated from ( PC, XBOX, PS,NIN...)

I suspect this may be the last numbers we receive before they become officially part of MS.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
The only thing about doom eternal is I wish it would just STFU, the first game had a few small cutscenes and with the exception of the office scene was well paced. Eternal on the other hand goes out of the way to try and explain everything in the lore, turning doom guy from an unknown avatar of vengeance into a generic super soldier in armour, it made the entire experience far less interesting and the longer the game went on and explained doom guys back story the less interested and powerful I felt.

Some times less is more.

Yup. We can argue about game mechanics and flame thrower/chain saw use, platforming etc etc etc. But the real let down of the game was the need to try to make a real story and all that lore. Super lame.

Tesseract

Banned
christ, grats to the team but that doesn't bode well for a return to basics

'least they could do is use some of that money to pump quake champions or quake 5 aka quake vr

Justin9mm

Eternal was in my top 3 GOTY for 2020.

The DLC makes the main campaign on standard difficulty look like a tutorial.

I finished part 1 of The Ancient Gods but barely, I wanted more Doom for the DLC but instead I got anxiety.

Top Bottom