• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal. Got to try it, and god it sucks!

Doom Eternal suck!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yeah I ended up uninstalling it as well. Tried to enjoy it both on PC and Xbox but ended up hating the experience every time. It feels like a completely different game than 2016 Doom, a game I loved. It just isn't for me.

2023 edit: I reinstalled it, and it really grew on me and I ended up kinda liking it :)

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

I really liked it. They improved on movement and the arenas are really well designed for smooth combat.

My only gripe with that game is the marauder enemy. I don't think it belong in a doom game. Not that the design is poor but that it's too much at odd with the core pillars of the game. Which are movement and shooting stuff.

Marauder feel to me like a gear of war enemy.

I don't wanna spoil the gameplay but if you're blood thirst to blood punch like many old-schoolers then move your a and put some effort to earn that , the combat system is not be all and end all when it comes to doom eternal, you gotta put some effort to get what you want.

Rikkori

Doom 2016 was a masterpiece, it was perfection, they nailed every single aspect of that game. Eternal is 'merely' a good game, it's done well, the production quality is higher but it lost that spark, that magic of the previous one. They tried to do too much & they got high off their own farts (you can see this from the main dev interviews as well), and it's obvious also when you look at what they're trying to do with the MP. They just don't get it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I dont know what the hell happen between the way Doom 2016 was made and Doom Eternal, but clearly Beth really delivered a stinker here. When i saw the trailer of it, i was a bit hesitant, really not digging the grapply hook part, thinking it was out of context of a Doom game. So decided to wait for a cheap price grab, and well, its on gamepass. For 1$ for a month, why not. Here is my chance to try it.

I played with it for about an hour. First, there is this beth account you need to sign up for the game ( turn off wifi and it bypass, not a big concern here ). Then it start. First, the shotgun sound sucks. Period. Its already a big down for me, well, because all shotgun sounds in Doom game sound just great, and this one doesnt.

Then you start playing, getting slammed by tutorials out of the gameplay, i found this pretty average. Then again, your getting the chainsaw which is now it seem the only way to replenish your ammo, so you constantly need to use it when your out of ammo. Fans of violence here will probably applaude this decision, i dont. The you get some kind of gas thing you need to throw over your enemies, im not sure i understand the meaning or fun of this part. Then to ice the cake, why not throw some Spider-Man stuff in there, climbing walls, poles and making jumps . WTF.

No, i didnt even got to the part where you need to get a grappling hook, i uninstalled this game pretty quickly. Sure there is less ´arena ´ like fights which some were complaning ( it never bother me ), but still this game feel like a more arcade on steroids Doom game than something that feel like a real Doom game.

2016 Doom is still the king! Its a shame they change direction on how well the first game was made to make this mess. Perhaps in the minority here ( it got great scores reviews ), but i just can’t understand these great reviews about it.
Agreed fuck eternal.
the worst fucking part in 2016 was that tower jumping bit.

Eternal.. let’s turn the game into mario doom 64

and yeah doom is all about story let’s add that too 🤢

random dev... no no doom is all about runing out of ammo all the time..
Let’s add this fucking annoying element to it 🤣🤣

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Doom Eternal is best FPS SP game since Titanfall 2 and GOTY from last year.

That's how I imagine Doom games in future. Action packed, yet tactical and rewarding players for playing the way it's meant to be played not letting them use shotgun whole game like Doom 2016. Not bloated with crap like much of today's AAA production but straight "no bullshit" experience.

Only complain i have was those "under water" sections and overshoot difficulty in TAG Part 1 before they patched it.

BigLee74

If you loved Doom 2016, you can’t say Eternal sucks. They are largely very similar. You may not like the new platforming, but it’s just a secondary feature.

Having said that, I preferred 2016.

Bartski

Gold Member
It's not the Doom I wanted after '16 but I respect the craftmanship and the clear direction. Sometimes you just can't have it all.
I'm curious where they go with it next.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I had read a bit about the game before I played, just FYI you can turn off all tutorials from the beginning, which I did.

But ya I said it before, I really liked this game. It was hectic, it was chaotic with all the different sub systems and sub weapons. I probably give the nod to Doom 2016 but I thought Eternal was a great game.

One of the main issues for me was the lame ass story.

mxbison

Typical case of a sequel trying to make everything bigger, better, more extreme.

For me that's rarely the correct approach but lot's of people still seem to like it.

kyussman

It's funny to me how they stripped down the 2016 game and then bloated Eternal with lots of silly lore and traversal mechanics,the dlc looks even more crazy but I'm not interested in playing that after my experience with the base game.
I imagine it's probably a different experience on PC,probably a great game for hardcore gamers looking for challenge.....I had to play it on easy on PS4 just to get some kind of enjoyment out of it.....my aging reflexes were partly to blame too though I'm sure,lol.

Juza

9634af05aba66b3e2200fa430e5612fe.gif

AcademicEvenGopher-small.gif

GymWolf

Why people is surprised?!

I readed a fuckton of people everywhere who think the same as op.

Not everyone loved the chainsaw to get ammo and platform parts, even here there was some people unhappy with eternal.

GamingKaiju

Eternal is fucking great. The Maurders are easy just watch out for the eye flash then ballista shot then quick change to rocket if you’re quick enough you might get another shot in once you get that down you’ll be making mincemeat of them unless you’re doing a certain slayer gate that makes it a tougher fight.

I loved the synergy the game brought between weapons and abilities, need ammo chain saw a grunt, need health glory kill or ice bomb the bigger enemies or blood punch with shockwave. There is health and ammo in the arenas but they’re there if you get in a jam. Using flaming meat hook and dash to get out off a bad situation is great.

I can understand why some got turned off by it but honestly it doesn’t start clicking until you get to the Super Gore Nest. Take the bigger enemies by stagger and hit points and it’s a cake walk.

also tip for final sin. Just use the grenade attachment for shot gun and just keep popping it off at the big guy and he’ll fall like a sack of shit.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If anything eternal is not a bad game it’s just not doom imo..

but i hate it because it says doom when it’s not

BigLee74

You can't say they are very similar since they are absolutely different

Behave.

Doom Eternal and FIFA are absolutely different.

Doom Eternal and Doom look the same, sound the same, and play almost identically, save for the small amount of platforming and some forced ammo gathering. Tweaks rather than ‘absolutely different’.

supernova8

Banned
I didn't even like Doom 2016. The only one I enjoyed was Doom 3 because they made it scary (at least at the time it was scary).

I suppose it's easy to argue that Doom 2016 onwards is technically more faithful to the original, but were the original (two) games intended to be arcade-type shooters or were they only like that because of the hardware constraints at the time?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
e26.jpg

Like all things, the experience is subjective. Some hated 2016, some loved it. Some hated Eternal, some loved it. I'm a hardcore DOOM fan, so I love all things DOOM to some extent, unless it's not my cup of tea whatsoever. But I haven't had that problem, yet. I wouldn't have minded "more corridors and space facilities" like Hugo said, but at the same time I respect them for wanting to do a lot more with it. Create more lore, create an actual universe, etc. Did I agree with everything in Eternal? No, I didn't. But the end result was surprisingly very well done through and through.

The game got great reviews because it excels at a large number of things.

To be quite honest, you can play a large amount of games for as long as you played Eternal and you'll probably think they suck. You're barely getting your feet wet. Much like you can watch 15 minutes of a film and say the same thing.

But, if it's also just not your thing, that's fine too. It's why opinions are a thing.

You stole my post Miguell

It's ok not too like something OP. 😊

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
What I don't get and dislike immensely is how seriously it started taking the story even thought it was still nonsensical bullshit.

The tone of Eternal was also all over the fucking place because of it going from bad story telling to then heath and ammo flying out of chainsaw kills like colourful confetti and collecting extra lives.

As for the gameplay, nothing they did improved it over Doom 2016 and in many ways made it worse.

Lanrutcon

Just occurred to me: Doom Eternal really is the FPS version of FFXIII.

"Don't worry, it gets good after <x>."

Maybe the game should be good before then too, eh?

cireza

Banned
Game was pretty meh in my opinion, but they where right to try some new things. What's the point of doing the same game again and again ?

SkylineRKR

I didn't like the ammo management, the gameplay loop (chainsaw on frag meat to replenish, subweapons to gain health or shield back), the excessive platforming and the areas that gimp your movement like the quicksand and lava. I just want to gun around without worrying about ammo too much like you could in classic Doom. 2016 was simpler in its approach and I actually finished it.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s a really big disappointment to me as I absolutely loved the first one. It had a certain balance to it, and now it’s straight up made for kids charged up on energy drinks.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I say this every time someone bounces in the first first few levels; play a bit more. It really didn't click with me until I had a few more guns and learned to juggle the mechanics properly. After that I couldn't put it down. It's a very different game than Doom 2016 but it feels like an evolution, 2016 was great but just more of that would've been super dull.

The platforming stuff is such a tiny component of the game it really shouldn't ruin the whole experience, but each to their own.

Edokataki

Banned
Wait.. what game series are we talking about? lol
Kirby on the fantasy land. Next time I watch a horror movie I will leave a review for it complaining that it was too scary and did not have enough jokes and laughing moments...some people just like to find reasons to complain.

Juza

A fresh video from Hugo:

"2016 is very accessible, it's like take this shotgun and shoot stuff when they flash do this thing"

And let me put these videos here as well..

Last edited:

CAB_Life

So you don't finish the tutorial, turn the game off and say it sucks...

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Eternal plays better than 2016 in every way. It's hard to even go back to '16 because of how much better Eternal controls and more options that you have.

I enjoyed 16's story more and it was cool to learn the origins and what not, but comparatively, that's about all that I enjoyed 16 more for.
He's ready for a career in GAMEZ JORUNALIZM! /pepeface

So you don't finish the tutorial, turn the game off and say it sucks...

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Eternal plays better than 2016 in every way. It's hard to even go back to '16 because of how much better Eternal controls and more options that you have.

I enjoyed 16's story more and it was cool to learn the origins and what not, but comparatively, that's about all that I enjoyed 16 more for.
Agreed. I absolutely loved 2016 when it came out. After playing Eternal, it's impossible to go back. 2016 feels too slow paced and dull in comparison. Eternal is fucking fantastic.

eternal was a HUGE disappointment. i was so hyped for it and that's what we got? Doom 2016 was kick ass brilliant but i think they tried to hard to "Improve" Eternal. there is too much bullshit going on.

both games took me ~12 hours. 2016 felt way too short and i wanted more but Eternal was opposite. those 12 hours dragged in and i couldn't wait for it to end.

VN1X

Banned
I dont know what the hell happen between the way Doom 2016 was made and Doom Eternal, but clearly Beth really delivered a stinker here. When i saw the trailer of it, i was a bit hesitant, really not digging the grapply hook part, thinking it was out of context of a Doom game. So decided to wait for a cheap price grab, and well, its on gamepass. For 1$ for a month, why not. Here is my chance to try it.

I played with it for about an hour. First, there is this beth account you need to sign up for the game ( turn off wifi and it bypass, not a big concern here ). Then it start. First, the shotgun sound sucks. Period. Its already a big down for me, well, because all shotgun sounds in Doom game sound just great, and this one doesnt.

Then you start playing, getting slammed by tutorials out of the gameplay, i found this pretty average. Then again, your getting the chainsaw which is now it seem the only way to replenish your ammo, so you constantly need to use it when your out of ammo. Fans of violence here will probably applaude this decision, i dont. The you get some kind of gas thing you need to throw over your enemies, im not sure i understand the meaning or fun of this part. Then to ice the cake, why not throw some Spider-Man stuff in there, climbing walls, poles and making jumps . WTF.

No, i didnt even got to the part where you need to get a grappling hook, i uninstalled this game pretty quickly. Sure there is less ´arena ´ like fights which some were complaning ( it never bother me ), but still this game feel like a more arcade on steroids Doom game than something that feel like a real Doom game.

2016 Doom is still the king! Its a shame they change direction on how well the first game was made to make this mess. Perhaps in the minority here ( it got great scores reviews ), but i just can’t understand these great reviews about it.
bskEZNq.png

SafeOrAlone

Banned
With all due respect to differing opinions, it seems like initial players got really frustrated at this game due to things like Marauders or platforming difficulty, called it trash, and now people are quite quick to try the game out and decry it worse than the original after a brief play period. I really don't agree. Like others have said, the movement alone, and included dash mechanic make the combat far more fun.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Agreed fuck eternal.
the worst fucking part in 2016 was that tower jumping bit.

Eternal.. let’s turn the game into mario doom 64

and yeah doom is all about story let’s add that too 🤢

random dev... no no doom is all about runing out of ammo all the time..
Let’s add this fucking annoying element to it 🤣🤣
CjcTA42.jpg

Justin9mm

God I fucking hate this comment I see over and over about using the chainsaw in Eternal. It's one fucking button. What's the difference between pressing that one button on an enemy then say a game where you use a button to hit or smash an ammo crate or holding a button to pick up ammo?

Doom 2016 you had to equip the chainsaw first and then use it. It was a much harder process whether in Eternal it's like a melee where you just hit the button and it chainsaw's an enemy automatically.

I swear people love to bitch about shit that's not even an issue. Doom Eternal is one of the best FPS' ever made.

The problem is you OP, not the game. You can't understand the review scores because you played for an hour and didn't get to see it open up. The game doesn't just give you everything to start with.

Last edited:
I'm quite enjoying it, it's decent but I'm finding it pretty difficult, is this game really hard or am I just crap at it!!! Probably a bit of both

MiguelItUp

Eternal is a good action game but a shit Doom game.
It's the Resident Evil 6 \ Final Fantasy 13 of the series.
Honestly I'd think RE4 is more fitting. Sure, the perspective didn't change, but the players control and engagement did. Also it's not widely despised as RE6 was, haha.

Eternal's gameplay loop is honestly one of the best I've played with in a long time, especially in a FPS, IMO. The thing is, it's not for everyone. There's a reason why they want you to glory kill for health, flame for armor, and chainsaw for ammo. It's to encourage you to keep fighting and never stop moving. It just keeps this constant flow of chaos going. To be blunt, if you don't, or don't want, to get into the groove of that loop then it just won't click. But in a game where they really wanted player's to "rip and tear", they did it the best way they could IMO.

I went to QuakeCon a couple of years ago and got to play that demo they kept showing about 9 months before release. My impression was "meh" and while I did eventually buy it I still haven't played the final release. Back in the day Doom and Quake felt very different from each other. It was more a product of the technical limitations imposed on Doom but it still differentiated them. 2016 and Eternal meanwhile feel to me more like Quake...not that is an insult, Quake is good, but it comes off as a generic arena shooter instead of the daddy of the genre it ought to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom