• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal is exhausting to play

MibS4TL.png

If they're too strong, you're too weak!

nemiroff

Gold Member
Or that it's just not for you

But unsurprisingly that's the main point of all of this isn't it. "It's not for me" would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that Doom 2016 was relatively close to universally loved, and many obviously feel that Eternal is an odd departure considering that people expected more of the same. It's not exactly a surprise or rocket science that a considerable amount of people would think this way.. Also the developers surely knew this could happen when developing Eternal, so it would be very interesting to hear what they have said about this. Anyone have a link of some sort?

Last edited:

SnapShot

But unsurprisingly that's the main point of all of this isn't it. "It's not for me" would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that Doom 2016 was relatively close to universally loved, and many obviously feel that Eternal is an odd departure considering that people expected more of the same. It's not exactly a surprise or rocket science that a considerable amount of people would think this way.. Also the developers surely knew this could happen when developing Eternal, so it would be very interesting to hear what they have said about this. Anyone have a link of some sort?
In this interview game director Hugo Martin said they weren't interested in re-doing the same game over and over, if people want 2016, they've got 2016

Kev Kev

In this interview game director Hugo Martin said they weren't interested in re-doing the same game over and over, if people want 2016, they've got 2016

so they made a divisive game that a bunch of people hate? how does make sense. and no, review scores dont tell the whole story.

whatever, we have this topic like once a month now and ive already said my piece multiple times. so i dunno what else to say except that they have lost fans of the series over this entry and i hope they get back to what made doom 2016 amazing in the next installment.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
positioning and shooting is what you also do in Eternal, with the added bonus of having at disposition every single movement tech (outside wallruns) you can think of in a 3D fps. You don't HAVE TO do glory kills. The only one requirement is the chainsaw killing to replenish ammo, which they changed in Ancient gods part 2

There's literally nothing muted about classic doom either

Not gonna talk about the poisonous areas where you gotta have the hazard suit, turning the whole screen green or the invulnerability pick up, or even berserk mode. I don't know what people are thinking of when they talk about Doom's design but its clearly not what is on screen

I don't think a lot of people ever played the original DOOM games, or theyre simply misremembering them. Maybe DOOM 3 was their introduction to the series?

But unsurprisingly that's the main point of all of this isn't it. "It's not for me" would be fine

It is fine, not really much more to it.

if it wasn't for the fact that Doom 2016 was relatively close to universally loved

No it wasn't? There were handfuls of people all over the internet that didn't like that DOOM 2016 was less serious and toned down the horror. Fuck people were complaining about there was no point in using any other weapons besides the same 3 once you hit a certain point of the game. Is everyone's memory really this short?

, and many obviously feel that Eternal is an odd departure considering that people expected more of the same.

Departure from what? It does everything that 2016 did, but more.

It's not exactly a surprise or rocket science that a considerable amount of people would think this way.. Also the developers surely knew this could happen when developing Eternal, so it would be very interesting to hear what they have said about this. Anyone have a link of some sort?

The game sold a great deal and has a dedicated enthusiast following that keeps the brand alive. I don't think the devs are too fussed about it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't think a lot of people ever played the original DOOM games, or theyre simply misremembering them. Maybe DOOM 3 was their introduction to the series?

It is fine, not really much more to it.

No it wasn't? There were handfuls of people all over the internet that didn't like that DOOM 2016 was less serious and toned down the horror. Fuck people were complaining about there was no point in using any other weapons besides the same 3 once you hit a certain point of the game. Is everyone's memory really this short?

Departure from what? It does everything that 2016 did, but more.

The game sold a great deal and has a dedicated enthusiast following that keeps the brand alive. I don't think the devs are too fussed about it.

Yes you're right, no one is divided, this thread doesn't exist, nobody is talking about it. It's all an illusion.

Last edited:

Sygma

Seeing how stressed out doom makes people sums up why arena fps multiplayer is dead.

Most people can't handle it. It's a shame but makes sense.

In retrospect I think thats why CoD advanced warfare MP also was VERY divisive in terms of reception, since its what looks like the most an arena fps multiplayer in that franchise

and no, review scores dont tell the whole story.

Reviews, completion rate and engagement rate are way higher on Eternal. Gonna have to accept it eventually

Last edited:

ikbalCO

I recently booted up Doom Eternal on Extra Life Mode(cleaning up for Platinum trophy) and man...now I realize why I shelved this game in the first place.

This game is mentally and physically exhausting to play. I can’t play more than two levels per day. It was the same way last year. The game has many niggling issues(ammo, too much damn platforming, getting stuck or overrun by enemies in tight spaces) but I’ve narrowed it down to the art style. It’s...garish? It makes my head hurt after long periods of time.

The game is good on an audiovisual level, but it’s fucking with me to the point where I don’t know if I ever want to play it again. Funny enough, I haven’t had a problem like this with any other game except Wolfenstein New Order.
game gets a bit frustrating and repetative here and there but overall it is still a joy to play.

just find yourself a good podcast to listen to while you are going through levels if you are having problems with beating multiple levels on one sitting.

honestly i am pretty sure i only played an hour worth of doom eternal without listening a podcast.

doom soundtracks are always good, but not for 15 hours.

the DLC is worse then the base game . I finished the base game and the 2 dlc's and I won't play it again. I did not enjoy it . Every level is a bum rush . The base strategy is run in circles and shoot.

Luckily for me I do not grind platinum's, I finish and I am done so this got removed from my HD as soon as the last boss fell

eternal was a huge disappointment. loved 2016 but they tried too hard with Eternal and ruined it. 2016 was something special but Eternal feels just like any other FPS.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I loved every minute of this game on the hardest difficulty. Im a fan of very difficult games like this. Every game doesn't need to cater the the causal market.
Thank GIF

eternal was a huge disappointment. loved 2016 but they tried too hard with Eternal and ruined it. 2016 was something special but Eternal feels just like any other FPS.
Name one other AAA shooter that Doom feels like?

K' Dash

I played it on the hardest difficulty available when I got it, and by the time I got to the final boss I just put it on the easiest mode, finished it and never touched it again.

If I played on normal or whatever I would've enjoyed it so much more, but my pride didn't let me turn down the difficulty until I was stuck on the final boss for a couple days.

V4skunk

Banned
I recently booted up Doom Eternal on Extra Life Mode(cleaning up for Platinum trophy) and man...now I realize why I shelved this game in the first place.

This game is mentally and physically exhausting to play. I can’t play more than two levels per day. It was the same way last year. The game has many niggling issues(ammo, too much damn platforming, getting stuck or overrun by enemies in tight spaces) but I’ve narrowed it down to the art style. It’s...garish? It makes my head hurt after long periods of time.

The game is good on an audiovisual level, but it’s fucking with me to the point where I don’t know if I ever want to play it again. Funny enough, I haven’t had a problem like this with any other game except Wolfenstein New Order.
What do you mean by ammo issues? You get unlimited ammo in the game.

Last edited:

Hugare

I may be the exception, but I always hated playing 1st person games on Hard dificulties. It NEVER felt fair.

The field of view is always way too narrow, so getting killed from 1/2 shots that came out of your FOV never felt fair. Getting into cover and constantly looking for health never felt fun.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm gonna use this opportunity to remark on how much enjoyment I'm getting out of Doom 3 on the PS4.

Atmosphere is super effective, constantly on edge while exploring.

wipeout364

It’s an impressive sequel. I would disagree on the art, I think it’s very Doom ie 90’s heavy metal vibe brought up to 2018.

My one gripe with the game was how they handled multiplayer. Doom 2016 had the basis for a really great multiplayer game that they made a bunch of missteps in(season pass locking out necessary content which they later fixed but it was too late). I think going back and fixing all that stuff could have made Doom Eternal multiplayer a huge success. Instead for some reason they just threw that all away and started over with an asymmetrical multiplayer mode which they should know is an extremely hard sell.

Last edited:

s_mirage

That was one of my problems with it too: playing it made me feel tired.

It don't think it was about difficulty either, because playing older FPSs on Nightmare or equivalent might frustrate me but they don't tire me out. I think it was more to do with how the game plays and how it makes you play it. The gameplay felt overdesigned in a way the original Doom games never did; it wants you to play a certain way, and it does its damnedest to stop you deviating from that.

Then of course there's the platforming, the lame as balls story/lore, and the progression from stage to stage that feels nowhere near as cohesive as the previous game's, but those are different problems.

Astral Dog

I can't argue on art and graphics. All excellent. The whole game is fantastic, but it demands alot from you.
I thought it was easily worth the effort, however like DMC i think the campaign is made to be played more than once, i had to change the difficulty to easy, as i got used to the new systems/weapons/upgrades. But it was still a cool experience going back to normal and hard

I think people hated Maruader fight. I am not sure why people complain about running in circle and shoot. Isn't that what you are suppose to do? Pn the other hand, they did made the doomslayer overall a bit less tanky than before.

Renozokii

positioning and shooting is what you also do in Eternal, with the added bonus of having at disposition every single movement tech (outside wallruns) you can think of in a 3D fps. You don't HAVE TO do glory kills. The only one requirement is the chainsaw killing to replenish ammo, which they changed in Ancient gods part 2

There's literally nothing muted about classic doom either

Not gonna talk about the poisonous areas where you gotta have the hazard suit, turning the whole screen green or the invulnerability pick up, or even berserk mode. I don't know what people are thinking of when they talk about Doom's design but its clearly not what is on screen

I’m still looking at a fraction of the shit going on screen, certainly more digestible with the simpler art style at least, a fraction of the animations, majority of gameplay being simple (but skilled!) shooting and movement, and far less micro managing to maintain ammo and health and what not. I also think it’s a bit flawed to be linking a several decade old game as an example when an absurd amount has been learned about good game and art design compared to back then.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Serious question, ever played classic doom above hurt me plenty ? ultra violence was funky and nightmare literally had enemies popping up via teleportations all the time, some levels had WAY MORE of than the busiest ones of Eternal. Especially in Thy Flesh Consummed

I'd say people should play the original Doom II at the highest difficulty and come back if they think that Eternal is somehow too much to handle lol, they'll be in a for a ride. Even just the very first level of it
A deeply different game on its maximum difficulty level may not be the best comparison, don't you think?

Yeah except, this is not true at all. The way to play Eternal well is to actually use stuff your own way. The narrative around this game is amazing, since the release its like "YOU HAVE TO USE THIS TO BE GOOD" and literally one week after, the meta changed, and it changed again a couple of times after that with the power of ... personal thinking / experimentation

I gave that one away once but, the most jarring example is the cacodemon. At release the narrative was "you have to use the weak spot shot to kill it fast and efficiently", turned out that the fastest way to kill any is a locked on triple rocket burst (since it just melts it down and you dont have to rely on the glory kill animation either), then the whole quick weapon swap with the sniper mod on the battle riffle was found out and people managed to actually go through the whole game under 2 hours in ultra nightmare, by using this and the arbalest charged bolt to take out multiple enemies at once (and the yeet hook, between other things but you get the idea)

A bit later on, the whole ice grenade lobbed shots into a caco also was found out, and so on and so forth

Its just, fascinating. All that shit has been debunked yet keep popping in every single thread as if it was remotely true. There is no "one way" to play the game or some imaginary "the devs want you to play this way" thingie.
So your point is, a single specific enemy can be efficiently defeated with more than one weapon. That's... expected?

We're talking about the fact that the waves in Eternal are organized in a way that makes the game more of a "puzzle shooter" than Doom '16. The point isn't that the caco can be defeated in more ways than a grenade in its mouth - it's that if you don't immediately spot and blast the caco before another big guy spawns a little distance in front of you, you're quite likely toast before the battle's even begun. Then you aim at the big guy's weak point, and one of those jumping hulks is already on you from your side. There's a lot more to take in than in Doom '16 at once, and there's definitely more strategy and tactics involved. Not to mention, the game is much twitchier and relentless.

Also, you're talking about an entire dedicated community finding new tactics to face situations that all players in the community have already faced and experimented with hundreds of times. It's not like you're going head in first time and figure it all out at once, which is the issue here. Doom '16 seemed to always leave you a chance, unless you're literally a sitting duck. Eternal is much, much faster, cheaper, with tons of different monsters on the field at once on many more levels, and you have to manage resources too. The difficulty curve is much steeper.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
In comparison with 2016, yeah. Harder difficulties is just too much. Normal thou, is pretty great

Sygma

it's that if you don't immediately spot and blast the caco before another big guy spawns a little distance in front of you, you're quite likely toast before the battle's even begun.

Not true and I wish that narrative would stop

Doom '16 seemed to always leave you a chance, unless you're literally a sitting duck.

Also not true, just watch the first ever clear of Ultra Nightmare by Zero Master, specifically the couple of last levels. Being a sitting duck while sniping monsters with the rail cannon is literally what you'll see for 90% of the actions done. Thats what ID prevented with Eternal. You actually can play like a camper in 2016 and it works. And on top of that you only need the super shotgun + rail cannon to clear the whole game, even if the rocket launcher is broken

That's... expected

Not if you read most of people's posts about the game which is meant to be played according to a singular method imposed by the devs. That whole narrative has been debunked since release, the only reality here is that people are fucking garbage and will use any excuse to not own their lack of competence

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I didn't like the last 2 Doom games. Purchased Eternal back then but i really didn't liked it after a while. I will give it another try with the RT update...

Last edited:

MacReady13

I played it on PS4. I finished it. I'll never play it again. Game is overrated. It tried far too hard to be bigger, better and smarter than Doom 2016 yet it failed miserably. I purchased Doom 64 at the same time and have sunk in countless hours on that. 64 is such a far superior game to Eternal. What a massive disappointment Eternal was for me.

MacReady13

And on top of that you only need the super shotgun + rail cannon to clear the whole game
So what? I still play the original Doom and Doom 2 and ONLY use the shotgun/super shotgun for both games for the majority of my runs. Why is that an issue?

MrMephistoX

Yeah Doom Eternal is definitely not for everyone. One of the most intense games I've ever finished. The level of focus needed is just off the charts.
Yeah it reminded me of why I turned God Mode on in Doom 1 and 2 back in the day same level of intensity especially as you get into later parts of the game. I actually love it but. I also didn’t play much of the reboot so maybe I’d feel differently if I had gotten used to that play style?

Well I think the game being a little more challenging than Doom 2016 was a good change. I say a little because once you learn the mechanics, it can be done on Easy without too much trouble.

I laugh at people that complain about a game being too hard on anything higher than easy.. That is what the difficulty setting is there for. I'm considered a pretty average gamer, I'm a slow learner, my reaction times are not that quick, I miss a lot of things because I have attention issues and I still managed to finish Doom Eternal on Easy(I'm too young to die). I actually completed a second play through on 'Hurt Me Plenty' which is the one up from that easiest difficulty and then both DLC's after that on Easy.

I will admit though Ancient Gods Part 1 DLC is ridiculously hard on the Easy setting.. I'm really not sure what happened there because Part 2 wasn't like that.
Who plays on easy? The thing about doom is not the difficulty, it's just an exhausting game because it is the same every level.

It's like an arcade shooter, there's no story, there's no cutscenes, no interaction with anyone else. You just get dropped in a world with metal music, everything is red, the objectives are always the same, kill demons and when you're done kill more demons. It's just exhausting. This is the type of game the army would use to train their soldiers. Just be brainless and move one point to another shooting at everything you see.

I've only played on normal (console gamer), but it plays so well that I never felt like the game was too fast. I went and tried to play Killing Floor 2 after, and man. No.

Long post incoming...

game gets a bit frustrating and repetative here and there but overall it is still a joy to play.

just find yourself a good podcast to listen to while you are going through levels if you are having problems with beating multiple levels on one sitting.

honestly i am pretty sure i only played an hour worth of doom eternal without listening a podcast.

doom soundtracks are always good, but not for 15 hours.
Yah, I usually have casts running whilst I play.
I loved every minute of this game on the hardest difficulty. Im a fan of very difficult games like this. Every game doesn't need to cater the the causal market.
Who said that it did? Secondly, why is this the go to response whenever someone criticizes a core game? It’s not even fun to have the discussions anymore because of talking points like this😩
What do you mean by ammo issues? You get unlimited ammo in the game.
My idea of the word “infinite” and yours are different then. Unless you’re referring to a cheat code?
I don't know what it exactly is, but I hate Doom 2016 / new Wolfenstein games. They're almost like an fps parody.
Wolfenstein 2 was the goddamn worst. The level design is atrocious in that game. At least I completed Eternal.
I'm gonna use this opportunity to remark on how much enjoyment I'm getting out of Doom 3 on the PS4.

Atmosphere is super effective, constantly on edge while exploring.
Yesssss. Need to get back to this one.
It’s an impressive sequel. I would disagree on the art, I think it’s very Doom ie 90’s heavy metal vibe brought up to 2018.

My one gripe with the game was how they handled multiplayer. Doom 2016 had the basis for a really great multiplayer game that they made a bunch of missteps in(season pass locking out necessary content which they later fixed but it was too late). I think going back and fixing all that stuff could have made Doom Eternal multiplayer a huge success. Instead for some reason they just threw that all away and started over with an asymmetrical multiplayer mode which they should know is an extremely hard sell.
Fair enough. I do agree about the multiplayer. It’s a damn shame that Eternal feels so dry in that department.
That was one of my problems with it too: playing it made me feel tired.

It don't think it was about difficulty either, because playing older FPSs on Nightmare or equivalent might frustrate me but they don't tire me out. I think it was more to do with how the game plays and how it makes you play it. The gameplay felt overdesigned in a way the original Doom games never did; it wants you to play a certain way, and it does its damnedest to stop you deviating from that.

Then of course there's the platforming, the lame as balls story/lore, and the progression from stage to stage that feels nowhere near as cohesive as the previous game's, but those are different problems.
Thank you for addressing the OP directly. I thought I was the only one feeling some sort of fatigue.
sry but, git gud
Why sully the discussion with low IQ takes like this?

Last edited:
The levels feel considerably longer than 2016. I think that contributes to the exhaustion.
DP but I would love to see a map comparison between both games. Others have said similar things as you, but that might contribute to the fatigue I feel. At least I don’t have head and eye aches anymore.

Top Bottom