• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal is exhausting to play

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The game was definitely exhausting, but I loved it. The level design was great. I think I'll play it on an easier difficulty next time, because between ammo mgmt and a few enemy types, yeah, it can wear on you. Great game though. I even like the platforming.

This is one of those games I loved but got stuck in some awful platforming part and I just eventually gave up. The air jumping you have to do in this game sucks. I don’t know why they added more of this to eternal. It ruined the game for me and stopped my progress. Sucks, because the rest of the game is top notch.

Marty-McFly

Banned
This is one of those games I loved but got stuck in some awful platforming part and I just eventually gave up. The air jumping you have to do in this game sucks. I don’t know why they added more of this to eternal. It ruined the game for me and stopped my progress. Sucks, because the rest of the game is top notch.
The platforming is actually quite brilliant.

Parts you get stuck in are always actually quite easy once you figure them out.

Always look towards the green light.

PrimeX

God damnit the second battle with the Icon of Sin is intense. If you guys were complaining about the rest of the game, the final battle would have you take a break from gaming for a few days 😁

Scotty W

Gold Member
well said. i remember going back to 2016, after hating eternal, and realizing that i never liked the chainsaw, or the glory kills for that matter. and then eternal goes and doubles and triples down on that kind of crap, and adds more stuff like grenades, swords, flamethrower and all of this other fluff that i hated.

my stance now is that they need to strip the slayer down and get back to their roots. all this extra flare is so NOT doom. doom guy sticks a double barrel in your face and blows your ugly demon head off. he doesnt do a dance of choreographed ability executions while aiming for a weak spot, managing cool downs and having to glory kill or chainsaw every 4th or 5th demon, because he doesnt need to. thats all a bunch of frilly, frufru bullshit and it doesnt fit the no bullshit attitude of a character like doom guy. its outrageous that they thought doom fans would want any of this.
Please give it another shot veK veK.

I had doom eternal installed on my SSD for nearly 2 years, and I have finally completed it today :D. I need to say it was really exhausting experience, so IDK if I will want to replay this game ever again. In some more diffucult sections I had to load checkpoints more than 10x times, and although I like difficult games (I have even completed the most difficult game ever creathed, battletoads on NES) I felt like developers just wanted to piss off players by throwing them into the most absurd situalions you can imagine. Combat in this game is just feels unfair, because you have very little ammo (you constantly have to fight for it, and what's even worse chainsaw has also EXTREMELY limitted fuel supply), and yet developers throw at you many demons from all directions in some very tight locations, so as a result of that gameplay in doom eternal is EXTREMELY chaotic and especially later in the game. Some stronger demons like "Marauder" are very difficult to defeat even if they are single, and yet this game sometimes throw at you many of them at once, and IMO that's not a fun gaming experience when you can only rely on luck during such unfair fight. I liked doom 2016, but I feel like ID Software went into the wrong direction with doom eternal. It's never a good idea when developer try to reinvent the wheel at all cost.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I had doom eternal installed on my SSD for nearly 2 years, and I have finally completed it today :D. I need to say it was really exhausting experience, so IDK if I will want to replay this game ever again. In some more diffucult sections I had to load checkpoints more than 10x times, and although I like difficult games (I have even completed the most difficult game ever creathed, battletoads on NES) I felt like developers just wanted to piss off players by throwing them into the absurd situalions you can imagine. Combat in this game is just feels unfair, because you have very little ammo (you constantly have fight for it, and BTW. chainsaw has also EXTREMELY limitted fuel supply), and yet developers throw at you many demons from all directions in some very tight locations, so as a results of that gameplay feel EXTREMELY chaotic most of the time. Some stronger demons are very difficult to defeat even if they are single, and yet this game sometimes throw at you many of them at once, and this is not fun at all. I liked doom 2016, but I feel like ID Software went into the wrong direction with doom eternal. It's never a good idea when developer try to reinvent the wheel at all cost.
I got a new GPU and am thinking on coming back to it soon... Yes, the game is exhausting because it's just a "throw everything at player, nvm"... It's a game of quantities, a game where your brain think a fight must have ended or is about to end and demons just keep spawning no end... it's a very VERY unbalanced game in terms of player mental state and expectations, it's just putting at your face whatever it can as much as possible "just because"... and apart from that completely breaks its own flow with constant resource management and some movement impeding sections (fuck you forever purple liquid on the floor). Once I had lost like 6 lives because I died in the lava ONCE and respawned right there over and over again... Genius play testing /s.

Last edited:
For me playing on nightmare was a blast. A carnival of pain, retries and the satisfaction of progressing forward. I was gonna get all the achievos, but one of them was about online and I don't care about that. I have the extra life mode pending, have to try it one day. Good luck slayer

I got a new GPU and am thinking on coming back to it soon... Yes, the game is exhausting because it's just a "throw everything at player, nvm"... It's a game of quantities, a game where your brain think a fight must have ended or is about to end and demons just keep spawning no end... it's a very VERY unbalanced game in terms of player mental state and expectations, it's just putting at your face whatever it can as much as possible "just because"... and apart from that completely breaks its own flow with constant resource management and some movement impeding sections (fuck you forever purple liquid on the floor). Once I had lost like 6 lives because I died in the lava ONCE and respawned right there over and over again... Genius play testing /s.
Doom eternal sure looks nice (maybe except low res textures :p), and especially in HDR, so I can understand why someone might want to replay it, although personally I dont have enough nervers left to replay it ever again :p.

amigastar

I had doom eternal installed on my SSD for nearly 2 years, and I have finally completed it today :D. I need to say it was really exhausting experience, so IDK if I will want to replay this game ever again. In some more diffucult sections I had to load checkpoints more than 10x times, and although I like difficult games (I have even completed the most difficult game ever creathed, battletoads on NES) I felt like developers just wanted to piss off players by throwing them into the most absurd situalions you can imagine. Combat in this game is just feels unfair, because you have very little ammo (you constantly have to fight for it, and what's even worse chainsaw has also EXTREMELY limitted fuel supply), and yet developers throw at you many demons from all directions in some very tight locations, so as a results of that gameplay feel EXTREMELY chaotic most of the time. Some stronger demons are very difficult to defeat even if they are single, and yet this game sometimes throw at you many of them at once, and IMHO this is not fun at all. I liked doom 2016, but I feel like ID Software went into the wrong direction with doom eternal. It's never a good idea when developer try to reinvent the wheel at all cost.
I've beat Base Doom Eternal on Ultra Violence so if i can do it anyone can do it.
DLC 1 on the other hand is extremely difficult
DLC 2 is more easy again.
Anyways, Doom Eternal is a great game so it doesn't mean anything if you don't like it.

Last edited:

dcx4610

I legit had to hype myself up and get in the right mood being for playing Eternal. It was stressful and intense. It was awesome but yeah... I can't imagine playing that game if you want to relax. It kinda reminds me of a FPS version of a bullet hell shooter.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I remember really liking Doom 2016 but I recently started playing this and it's just an unpleasant chore.
The same experience I had.

I loved doom 2016 and its easily on my list of some of the best shooters of all time.

But instead of progressing with the success they tossed it all out to make stupid obstacles around the maps.

I disliked doom eternal.
It shined some places but it was mostly a turd.

It's like the originals, doom 1 was a classic, doom 2 was a turd.

Doom reboot is a classic, eternal is a turd.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The same experience I had.

I loved doom 2016 and its easily on my list of some of the best shooters of all time.

But instead of progressing with the success they tossed it all out to make stupid obstacles around the maps.

I disliked doom eternal.
It shined some places but it was mostly a turd.

It's like the originals, doom 1 was a classic, doom 2 was a turd.

Doom reboot is a classic, eternal is a turd.
Word

Fuck doom eternal

dcx4610

DOOM 2016 is fantastic but it feels more story based and you can take your time a bit. DOOM Eternal is pretty much chaos from start to finish. They actually mirror the original DOOM and DOOM II quite a bit. DOOM had a bit of a leisurely pace to it were DOOM II had waves and waves of monsters and mazes to get lost in.

hank_tree

Eternal is just so boring. The game is so rigid that you are never making dynamic or interesting decisions. It's always blatantly clear what the best move is and you just do it over and over and over. Such a dissapointment.

It might be better on the easier difficulties as you can be more flexible maybe? Never tried it.

Eidt: Just remembered that they give you a fucking pop up explaining each enemies weak spot often before you even see them. lol. It's such a joke of a game.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Doom 2016 is a shooter, Doom Eternal with its resource management is like a damn puzzle game.

That weird hectic resource management and visual style make it feel like a cartoon.

I like Doom Eternal, and I appreciate the creativity of it and the great mechanics, but I hope future Doom goes back to the more hardcore grounded run-and-gun shooter style.

DooM Eternal was a majorly disappointing followup IMO. It just lacked all tbe fun of 2016. The levels are excruciatingly long, the platforming is awful, enemy encounters are very joyless, combat feels clumsy and frustrating compared to 2016, and there are a lot of mechanics added that feel like they take more away from the game then added to it.

It's a shame because everything in the game works, it was all just assembled terribly. Gave up on it after the second level. I just was not having more than minimal fun. Even the environments were disappointing coming off of 2016 IMO. If Eternal is where ID is taking DooM going forward, I honestly won't feel I'm missing anything since the games likely won't becoming to PS anymore anyway.

For me a 36 year old who's been gaming most of his life , doom eternal is the best single player game ever made.
Once u get into the rhythm of combat there is nothing better than it

Funny this thread got bumped, I just reinstalled Doom Eternal a couple days ago. Playing through it again because nothing is really satisfying me right now, and Eternals gameplay and mechanics are extremely satisfying.

I actually reinstalled 2016 first, but it’s nearly impossible to go back, the game feels way too simple and restrictive after playing Eternal. Uninstalled after the 4th level.

sachos

Wow im surprised by NeoGafs opinion on this game, i thought it was fucking awesome. Exhausting for sure, but good exhausting if you know what i mean, after a big fight you felt your adrenaline pumping such a good feeling to get from a game imo. I never had any issue with the ammo mechanics, it was just a simple use of the chainsaw once in a while and thats it. They made a character action game out of an FPS and i find that awesome.

I can agree with some of the platforming complains, it kinda looked out of place at times but it was not a big deal for me. I also had some issues with the UI design and the color choice for some of the powerups (from what i remember) it may have been a little TOO arcadey.

Last edited:

k_trout

I just replayed both last month and 2016 feels like an id game, and i love it. Eternal is fun on an easy difficulty, but lacks something I can't put my finger on, the combat is great but...shrugs...who knows

edit: thinking about it, the hub area in eternal takes the feeling of linear progression out of the game and that ruins the flow for me. Same was done to Wolfenstein2009 and New collosus and I didn't like it there either.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Man i thought i was the only one.

2016 was fun to play at higher difficulties, but Eternal? I feel exhausted after every mob arena fight.

This was my main problem when Eternal launched, i didn't have fun on higher difficulty. But I think its because I was on console. I started on Hard as thats how I beat 2016.

When I toned Eternal down to Normal I eventually beat it and I now rate it above 2016. Eternal has much better encounter design, the fights are less repetitive. 2016 really was arena to arena going from low tier fodder to elite enemies each time. Eternal mixes it up more and I think you can also just run from a few battles, there is at least more freedom. But Eternal does have more bullshit going on, I probably could do without the totems, the goo etc.

This was my main problem when Eternal launched, i didn't have fun on higher difficulty. But I think its because I was on console. I started on Hard as thats how I beat 2016.

When I toned Eternal down to Normal I eventually beat it and I now rate it above 2016. Eternal has much better encounter design, the fights are less repetitive. 2016 really was arena to arena going from low tier fodder to elite enemies each time. Eternal mixes it up more and I think you can also just run from a few battles, there is at least more freedom. But Eternal does have more bullshit going on, I probably could do without the totems, the goo etc.
To be fair this true. I think lots of people mastered 2016 then went in expecting to breeze through eternal then got a reality check!

Start in medium then work your way up!

DOOM 2016 is fantastic but it feels more story based and you can take your time a bit. DOOM Eternal is pretty much chaos from start to finish. They actually mirror the original DOOM and DOOM II quite a bit. DOOM had a bit of a leisurely pace to it were DOOM II had waves and waves of monsters and mazes to get lost in.

What are you talking about? When Samuel Hayden calls Doomguy at the beginning of the game, he literally throws the screen away and cuts the phone call/cutscene short. 2016 did not give a shit about story, whereas Doom Eternal was like a damn anime fan fiction constantly telling the player how bad ass and unstoppable they were and how important what they were doing was.

Doom 2016 is a shooter, Doom Eternal with its resource management is like a damn puzzle game.

That weird hectic resource management and visual style make it feel like a cartoon.

I like Doom Eternal, and I appreciate the creativity of it and the great mechanics, but I hope future Doom goes back to the more hardcore grounded run-and-gun shooter style.

This right here. I bought Doom Eternal expecting run and gun gameplay. Not resource management. Not a first person Devil May Cry. Doom Eternal plays nothing like it's predecessors.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
To be fair this true. I think lots of people mastered 2016 then went in expecting to breeze through eternal then got a reality check!

Start in medium then work your way up!
Why is the definition of fun always about "difficulty" for souls type fans like this.

It's not always the difficulty that determines if a game is fun.

We just expected a sequel to doom 2016 and got dissapointed. It's not about how hard it is, it's how it differs from the prequel.

Drizzlehell

Banned
What are you talking about? When Samuel Hayden calls Doomguy at the beginning of the game, he literally throws the screen away and cuts the phone call/cutscene short. 2016 did not give a shit about story, whereas Doom Eternal was like a damn anime fan fiction constantly telling the player how bad ass and unstoppable they were and how important what they were doing was.

This right here. I bought Doom Eternal expecting run and gun gameplay. Not resource management. Not a first person Devil May Cry. Doom Eternal plays nothing like it's predecessors.
Doom Eternal was so badass that 2016 feels like playing Animal Crossing, which is why normies cling to it so much.

I mean, let's b-real. Doom 2016 always felt a little too easy so I'm glad they ramped up the intensity in Eternal. It's perfect. In fact, the only disappointment in this reboot series so far is that the developers bitched out on Ancient Gods part 2, which is almost trivial compared to AG pt. 1. They should've kept the pressure on.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Amazing game. Yeah it can get exhausting at times, specially with some of the Slayer Gates, but man isn't it fun as hell.

I love the enemy AI in this game, the baddies just never stop coming at you full force and don't leave a moment of breath. Between that and having to manage all your resources while having to pick the correct weapon for each task made for a thrilling and very intense experience.
Oh, and the soundtrack was fucking amazing, both in the base game and it's expansions.

Only thing I would have improved upon is exploration, as most levels felt way too linear. Would have loved having some levels like the foundry in DOOM 2016.

Arun1910

This thread is older than my mum.

If its exhausting its probably not for you though. I feel the same way about Dark Souls, so I don't play it.

Diddy X

I tried it on GP like a year or two ago and since then I don't even wanna go back to it, it is frustrating.

Top Bottom