• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal is the most disappointing game I have ever played.

Carna

Banned
The story is pretty retarded too, self indulgent trash. Doomguy (b.j. blaskowitz III) doesn't need to be regarded as some God in-universe to be cool as fuck

And fuck that Animal Crossing crossover shit that happened a while, that alone. Ruined the Doom fanbase.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah, I totally recognize that it resonates with a lot of people. It's just not for me and normally that wouldn't be disappointing if it were just some new IP, but it's DOOM. A series that just got a proper faithful resurrection with updated gameplay that rocked a few years earlier that everyone loved. It always sucks when something you really enjoy puts out a new thing that's wildly different in a way you don't enjoy.
I think you could argue that Doom is known for putting the entire genre of FPS on the map in a way that was mainstream. It spawned an entire era of games with its new and innovative game play.

Doom Eternal is an extension of what Doom is at a fundamental level which is redefining the genre and mixing up what the industry can offer. In that case Eternal is far better at moving the legacy of the IP forward than 2016.

Xdrive05

It's more like someone made Chess 2 and changed the rules so you can't move the same piece two turns in a row, and each piece has multiple sub-abilities on turn-based cooldowns that need to be kept track of in order to be effective against your opponent.

It's more like Doom 2016 is Checkers, actually. And Doom Eternal is Chess.

Folks playing Doom Eternal are all "WTF is this kind of Checkers? Why do I have more rules on what I can move and when? This game sucks."

When actually, yeah, it's a different game and you do need to "git gud" to appreciate what experiences it offers over Checkers.

Last edited:
Thats extremely hyperbolic but the point still stands. If you play the game and don't use the mechanics they built and then cry its bad because you suck at it, I can't take you seriously.

Eternal has one of the most, if not the most, extensive and thrilling first person combat systems in the industry. Its not easy to master and it takes significant commitment to get good at it and a lot of people might not be willing or wanting to grasp it after 2016, but again, that doesnt make it bad.
You know how I had hours of fun in MW for the last few months? Playing Hardcore TDM using only a throwing knife.

While yes I would get destroyed those 5-6 kills a match were incredibly funny and satisfying for me, especially when you would see people using RPG’s and what not.

It was fun for me to use only slappers in Goldeneye a few decades ago.

It was fun to C4 a Jeep in Battlefield 3&4

Sometimes being silly is fun. And I just can’t find silly fun in Doom Eternal.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You know how I had hours of fun in MW for the last few months? Playing Hardcore TDM using only a throwing knife.

While yes I would get destroyed those 5-6 kills a match were incredibly funny and satisfying for me, especially when you would see people using RPG’s and what not.

It was fun for me to use only slappers in Goldeneye a few decades ago.

It was fun to C4 a Jeep in Battlefield 3&4

Sometimes being silly is fun. And I just can’t find silly fun in Doom Eternal.

Who said being silly is bad? SO because you went to a game looking for one thing, which I am not sure why you went to a Doom game to be "silly" when its never been about being silly, that makes it bad?

I dont think so Tim.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
No I wanted to continue playing Doom like in 2016 but couldn’t
Doom 2016 isnt silly.

It still sounds like you are upset that they created something new with an extension of what 2016 offered. I get it, not what you wanted, but thats not the games fault and doesnt make it bad.

MiguelItUp

The game's core mechanics are a bit different since 2016. Eternal expects you to focus more on using your abilities to get the resources you need. Once you get it all down, you don't have a problem at all IMO.

Glory Kill for health
Flame Belch for armor
Chainsaw for ammo

Rinse and repeat. It can make things feel more tense and chaotic in the long run. That being said, once you get in the groove and you're going all in it all really comes together.

Zeeed

Yup, Loved Doom 2016.
Was looking forward to Doom Eternal until I started seeing gameplay footage.
That got me worried. Wasn't sure I wanted to be first person super mario bros.

And sure enough, I didn't like Doom Eternal.
Kept my opinions to myself because everyone and their grandma seemed to love it.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

Skifi28

It was good for the most part, but yes, disappointing. I'd like a little freedom on how to play but there's only one way in this, including how to dispose of certain enemies. It's just not for me.

TheMan

Yeah, I bought this on steam on release and returned it quickly. Just couldn't get into it. Haven't bothered giving it another shot on gamepass

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It was good for the most part, but yes, disappointing. I'd like a little freedom on how to play but there's only one way in this, including how to dispose of certain enemies. It's just not for me.

Yeah, the fact that there was always an overwhelmingly "right" way to approach any arena and individual enemy bothered me a lot.

I'd be equally pissed if they put out a Dark Souls-like game that basically required you to use every weapon type depending on the enemy, even if they gave you a weapons wheel or something to quickly cycle through them.

Laptop1991

I was disappointed with Doom Eternal aswell, i played through the game once and haven't gone back or got the dlc, to me the game was an arena shooter with too much platforming and limited ways to kill the demons instead of the players choice of which weapons to use, also the story was being told to you instead of the player, playing it and it also lacked the atmosphere of Doom, i replayed Doom 2016 a few times, loved it, i was hoping for more of the same with improvements in Doom Eternal to be honest.

The game in my opinion felt more like Quake 3 Arena, a multiplayer game instead of a singleplayer one, fair play to those that enjoyed it, i didn't.

I'd probably never say this about another fps, but I think infinite ammo could potentially benefit the game. At least in my eyes.
Crank up the difficulty and use the most extreme arsenal possible as a means to survive.
Is there a code for that?

That would completely ruin the rock, paper, scissors synergy the gameplay has going though. Gaining ammo is part of the on the fly strategy of the game.

Just play Metal Gear Survive.
You shall love Doom Eternal as... hell.
Jim Carrey Omg GIF

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That would completely ruin the rock, paper, scissors synergy the gameplay has going though. Gaining ammo is part of the on the fly strategy of the game.

I'd be interested in giving it a try. I think both the strict resource management and requirement of certain weapons for certain enemies both suck, but when applied in combination, they *really* suck. Removing one of those from the overall system might make it more enjoyable for me.

Then again, I usually hate using cheats, so I'll probably just not even go back to try it.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
God damn right. Let me shotgun is all
I get ya

Resource management during stressful times can be an interesting mechanic though; why have ammo at all if you're just going to have a constant amount of it?
They're putting the idea of the Doom Slayer (Player character) being the powerful icon in the game first, and the guns are just his tools

Doom 2 also kind of pushed the concept of not having a ton of ammo as well EDIT: Instead of just finding ammo packs though, they flowed the ammo obtaining through combat

Doom 2016 > Eternal is supposed to be a parallel (Gameplay, innovation, maps, etc) to Doom 1 > Doom 2

Last edited:
I'm with you Musky, it was one of my most hyped games of all time and after my first session I downloaded fortnite to rinse the taste out of my mouth (I'm not joking, it was the start of lockdown and I was joking with my friends how I didn't want to die without winning a chicken dinner).

I've already went in depth about my problems with Eternal in a few different threads but I think it's interesting that Eternal has the same problems that Doom 2 had. Longer convoluted levels, waves of enemies until it isn't fun. The art style disappointing and the attempts to inject internet humour into the game ruined it. Doom 2016 got me back into gaming and I've beat it multiple times since (very rare for me to do with modern games) but I doubt I'll ever touch Eternal again, it was a letdown that I'd rather forget about and it summed up 2020 pretty well.

SpiceRacz

I enjoyed it. Not as much as 2016 though.The combat doesn't flow in the same way as D2016. I thought the platforming bits actually worked well and were effective at breaking up the action. My biggest issue is the length of the levels. Holy shit, some of them just drag on forever.

mcjmetroid

"I'm bad at a difficult game and don't know how the mechanics work" - OP
It's not even that difficult. There's like 8 difficulty levels or something.

Ya OP look everyone is entitled to their opinion I loved the fuck out of this game and I usually hate FPS games.

I'm not sure if it's better than the first. It has a big advantage in graphics.

Must me nice for that to be your most disappointing game
It is because of how great the previous was in addition that Eternal seems to be awesome and that I the player is what is clearly the issue.

I’m just too rebellious for Eternal. I am a wild pony that refuses to be tamed

Kentucky Derby Ok GIF

ne1butu

Doom Eternal was one of the best games I played last year. Easily.

when you’re in full flow cycling through weapons and jumping around the arena with demons all over the place. There isn’t much else which can provide the feeling of controlling the chaos

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I get ya

Resource management during stressful times can be an interesting mechanic though; why have ammo at all if you're just going to have a constant amount of it?
They're putting the idea of the Doom Slayer (Player character) being the powerful icon in the game first, and the guns are just his tools

Doom 2 also kind of pushed the concept of not having a ton of ammo as well EDIT: Instead of just finding ammo packs though, they flowed the ammo obtaining through combat

Doom 2016 > Eternal is supposed to be a parallel (Gameplay, innovation, maps, etc) to Doom 1 > Doom 2

The difference is that every weapon was always valid. That's not the case in Doom Eternal. It's the combination of limited ammo + needing specific weapons that just kills the flow of combat unless you've completely wrapped your head around the mechanics and played at least 80% within the boundaries of the narrow design.

Seems like OP just got tired of the formula and couldn't be bothered by it. It happens. You play the first, you find it sufficiently good but you don't have much more in the tank for the sequels.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wait you can’t just freeform rip and tear ? It’s an FPS puzzle game ?

Yes. FPS puzzle game is the right way to describe it.

More "rip, then tear" rather than "rip and tear."

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The difference is that every weapon was always valid. That's not the case in Doom Eternal. It's the combination of limited ammo + needing specific weapons that just kills the flow of combat unless you've completely wrapped your head around the mechanics and played at least 80% within the boundaries of the narrow design.
Flat out false.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Perhaps, but given the intensity of the a.i. and the clever level design, I still think it'd be a blast. The challenge would shift away from inventory management and solely focus on aim and movement through the levels.
Some weapons could potentially become useless, but I'd still think it could be a lot of fun.

Last edited:
It is because of how great the previous was in addition that Eternal seems to be awesome and that I the player is what is clearly the issue.

I’m just too rebellious for Eternal. I am a wild pony that refuses to be tamed

Kentucky Derby Ok GIF
Im with you that I prefer the 2016 game but I still had a great time with Eternal.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Flat out false.

Maybe we have different definitions of "valid."

You can use one weapon to basically one-shot an enemy... *or* you can spend all of your ammo and still maybe not be able to kill it with a different weapon. I don't really consider that "valid."

There's always a right answer and the gap between right and wrong is massive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Maybe we have different definitions of "valid."

You can use one weapon to basically one-shot an enemy... *or* you can spend all of your ammo and still maybe not be able to kill it with a different weapon. I don't really consider that "valid."

There's always a right answer and the gap between right and wrong is massive.

what enemy has only one weapon thats a weakness?

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I wouldn't disagree the design isn't a bit narrow in some places, just kind of what doom always was to me /shrug

Though, I don't understand why someone who doesn't completely understand the mechanics of something would do good at that task; what's the opposite? You don't know what you're doing and still win??

what enemy has only one weapon thats a weakness?
Shhh, they'll have to completely wrap their head around the mechanics if you ask that

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i agree it was a disappointment. i loved 2016 but this was a step backwards. i get what they were trying to do...add depth to the gameplay but it was just wrong. 2016 was so simple and fun. Eternal felt tedious. i'm not saying it was perfect and there was nothing to improve. there are things that could've been done better but what we got in eternal was just not it. it feels like they tried too hard.

Yeah I am seeing a downward trend with Bethesda games.

Doom 2016 >>> Doom Eternal
Wolfenstein 1 >>> Wolfentstein 2
Fallout 4 >>>>>> Fallout 76
Dishonored >>> Dishonored 2 >>>> Death of the Outsider
Rage>>>Rage 2

Hopefully they can turn things around a bit.

Phobos Base

It's a good game and certainly one you have to approach in the right way, but it does suffer from feature creep and some elements are pretty cringe (like the audio logs of the scientist virtually having an orgasm over what a badass you are)

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It's a good game and certainly one you have to approach in the right way, but it does suffer from feature creep and some elements are pretty cringe (like the audio logs of the scientist virtually having an orgasm over what a badass you are)
Feature creep is definitely the biggest issue imo. It takes awhile to get everything you want/need.

Top Bottom