• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

| DOOM Eternal OT | : Dragged Ripping & Tearing Into The New Decade!

hollams

Gold Member
If any of you are playing with an elite controller on PC you really need to get the rewasd program that allows you to map the back buttons to what you want.

I'm able to set one of the back buttons to a shift key which toggles all the controller buttons to a different profile where I have all the face buttons mapped to numbers 1-4 and the bumpers 5-6 then the triggers to 7-8 so that I can switch between guns instantaneously instead of having to bring up the weapon menu. This makes the game so much better with a controller. Luckily Doom allows both controller and keyboard input at the same time so that this mapping will work.

Rewasd isn't free but it's a game changer and I think the only program that allows you to change the back buttons to any keyboard, mouse, or controller function.

JoduanER2

If any of you are playing with an elite controller on PC you really need to get the rewasd program that allows you to map the back buttons to what you want.

I'm able to set one of the back buttons to a shift key which toggles all the controller buttons to a different profile where I have all the face buttons mapped to numbers 1-4 and the bumpers 5-6 then the triggers to 7-8 so that I can switch between guns instantaneously instead of having to bring up the weapon menu. This makes the game so much better with a controller. Luckily Doom allows both controller and keyboard input at the same time so that this mapping will work.

Rewasd isn't free but it's a game changer and I think the only program that allows you to change the back buttons to any keyboard, mouse, or controller function.

That you be a capital offense.

Mouse keyboard >>>>>>>>>>>> controller for fast pace FPS.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Finished it. I will not be replaying it to say the least. I absolutely hated it near the end and it got annoying/tiresome already around 3rd of the game.
Just constant cacophony of monsters, systems and pointless upgrades... I rarely felt in control of the fight while in 2016 Doom, I felt like a badass all the way.
Why is this getting such a high reviews?! Technically, I feel like 2016 looked a more detailed but this one has some amazing looking vistas.

I will try to point out some of my biggest issues with this:
-Platforming- a lot of weird platforming. There is a lot of it. It's annoying and does not even make the levels more interesting. The levels just look disjointed as the result with floating handles, platforms and climbing walls.
-Fighting- too many systems of side weapons. The flamethrower restores way too little armor for this being it's main function. You use C,R,V,G,F,E keys all the time.
-Weak Pionts- One biggest problems. Every tough enemy type has a weak point. You can kill them normally but but they are tanks. So You end up killing every cacodemon and others the same way... for hours.
-Maruders- Great as a boss fight(almost sekiro inspired) but as a normal enemy together with other enemies? wtf... and used too many times.
-Collectibles- Just like systems and updates. Every level has a set number of X,Y,Z runes, coins, skills whatever to find. Feels like on the design board of very level there is written "each level must have challange X, 10 big encounters, toys etc". Too much!
-Atmopshere- Arcade through and through. 1ups, colorful floating pick ups, rotating platforming elements like in Mario. The 2016 or older games tone is gone.
-Plot- space vikings but also not, many characters You see only once. The story is all over the place and ends poorly. The lore is interesting and I like how they explained hell but it's not coherent.

In general - I wanted to like it since I loved 2016 game but every(especially later) fight felt cheap. Tons of enemies attacking around me and I never felt badass but barely fighting for control and running over the battlefield looking for someone to chainsaw, burn or glory kill... Feels like they threw together every idea they had. In the end, it was just annoying and tiresome especially during later firefights

Quick question how far am I in the grand scheme of things if Ive gotten the 2nd purple key to that huge(Just curious) nest?

My step daughter absolutely loves it. She likes the original games, so this was even better. Had to explain what trophy kills were. Lol

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Rewasd is an incredible program. Came across it when I was looking for a way to emulate DS4 touchpad for PSNow. I'll eventually buy it since it's cheap and comes in handy.

Gp1

I think i found something REALLY interesting messing with files in the PC version.

Why the hell we have both doom 1 and 2 wads inside "base\classicwads"?

ps: and this game is HARD, playing on nightmare and geting wrecked left and right...

Last edited:

Helios

Holy fuck that Icon of Sin fight is insane. He literally punches me and sometimes takes 100 hp off my health. And the hitbox is awful
Why the hell we have both doom 1 and 2 wads inside "base\classicwads"?
At least you have them, unlike me.

It's a secret in the Doom Fortress. On Doomguy's PC there are two applications. One is for DOOM 1 and the second one with the password is DOOM 2. For some reason my game files don't come with the wads so my game crashes every time I try to launch them
From what I heard the ports aren't that great though.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Quick question how far am I in the grand scheme of things if Ive gotten the 2nd purple key to that huge(Just curious) nest?

My step daughter absolutely loves it. She likes the original games, so this was even better. Had to explain what trophy kills were. Lol

If you mean the second slayer gate? You got a ways to go.

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah this game is no joke, I'm still loving it but getting a little sick of the death cycle, it's tuned just a bit too hard on the normal difficulty. Like the Marauders are a bit much, plus the fucking dogs that respawn as soon as you kill them it's like jesus christ can I just enjoy the combat for a second?

Nymphae

Banned
Like I'm finding this first Marauder fight on PS4 absolutely ridiculous, there is only so much you can do at once with analog sticks ffs. I'm always desperately needing health and ammo and attending to those needs while trying to fight larger more aggressive things that require particular killing methods, which deplete my health and ammo further trying to deal with. I get what they're going for and it succeeds, it's crazy and hardcore, but my god the normal difficulty level should be tuned better for people who aren't masochists, 2016 was nowhere near this punishing.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Like I'm finding this first Marauder fight on PS4 absolutely ridiculous, there is only so much you can do at once with analog sticks ffs. I'm always desperately needing health and ammo and attending to those needs while trying to fight larger more aggressive things that require particular killing methods, which deplete my health and ammo further trying to deal with. I get what they're going for and it succeeds, it's crazy and hardcore, but my god the normal difficulty level should be tuned better for people who aren't masochists, 2016 was nowhere near this punishing.
I can agree with this. There is sharp jump from Im Too Young to Die to Hurt Me Plenty. Hurt Me Plenty is still pretty tough but its a large jump from the easiest.

Helios

Finally finished the game on Ultra-Violence. I enjoyed it way more than 2016 for various reasons. I got bored of 2016 by the mid point and was just waiting for the game to finish. I didn't feel this from Eternal. The later levels feel a little bit tedious maybe, but never to the point of 2016
Whoever made the comparison earlier in the thread to DMC was on point. The combat feels very fluid, fast and mastering all those weapons and mechanics feels great. Slayer Gates are the high point of the game for me. They feel very well designed, more so than the regular campaign, so kudos to whoever made those.
As for the low points it's got to be Taras Nabad and The Icon of Sin fight. The marauder is also a joykill and I can probably write a thesis on why it's a bad enemy both from a design stand-point and from how buggy he is sometimes. I actually stopped having problems with him after the third encounter (probably cause I found you can use the Ballista to counter him ) but it's still not a good enemy and sucks the fun out of the game every time he appears. He would've been perfectly fine as a one-time fight, especially replacing the gladiator . It's a shame because he has a sick design.
The weak point system is weird. It's fine on some enemies but for other it's a must and instead of offering you alternative on how to kill an enemy it just straight up tells you "Either you do this or you're going to have a bad time". I think I have 0 maykr drone kills that are not headshots.
The sword (I actually forgot it's name) was a disappointment. Outside of the last boss fight and the introduction I probably can count on my hand the amount of ammo you get for it. And even then, it's just a chainsaw with different animations
About half
I'd say he's not even 1/3rd of the way through.
The 90s Doom games, do not feel like this, it's way easier to deal with huge crowds of enemies in those games than this one.
I disagree. Maybe in the beginning (and even then it's debatable) but once you get later into the game you have so many options and I'm not even counting the BFG or The unmaykr

Last edited:

skneogaf

The lack of ammo and health makes me play the game much slower than I would normally do.

I'm hoping once I've upgraded everything and unlocked everything that I can re play the game and actually enjoy it.

I've restarted the game on the easiest difficulty so I'll blast through it to see the game.

Graphics are good but I do t think the lighting is good, far too much Is lit by light from unknown sources.
I much prefer a darker look to a doom game and this one looks like an unreal tournament game.

Marauders are fairly easy if you remember the easy tell they have. Their eyes glow a very distinct green before attacking with melee lunges, shoot them as this glow pops up to do guaranteed damage to them. Struggled the first couple of encounters but after I learned that? They dropped pretty quickly!

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'm surprised at the amount of people out there talking about the lack of health and ammo. Some have talked about it as if it was a poor decision made by the devs. But the decision was made to encourage players to pursue fodder for ammo, armor, and health. It's a GOD send.

For me, fodder was the primary source for health, armor, and ammo. The physical pick-ups in the world were my emergencies, and it worked out really well for me.

There have been a number of videos addressing it. They even put out that snacky video showing the gameplay loop of chainsaw for ammo, glory kill for health, belch for armor.

Nymphae

Banned
Marauders are fairly easy if you remember the easy tell they have. Their eyes glow a very distinct green before attacking with melee lunges, shoot them as this glow pops up to do guaranteed damage to them. Struggled the first couple of encounters but after I learned that? They dropped pretty quickly!

I'm sorry but no, they are not "fairly easy" because they have a flashing tell that is visible for all of a millisecond while I'm avoiding their dogs and the bullet hell around me, all while trying to keep him at a precise mid-range to force the tell, then having to dodge appropriately and maintain aim, like it's kind of insane.

I'm sorry but no, they are not "fairly easy" because they have a flashing tell that is visible for all of a millisecond while I'm avoiding their dogs and the bullet hell around me, all while trying to keep him at a precise mid-range to force the tell, then having to dodge appropriately and maintain aim, like it's kind of insane.

Mouse and Keyboard, yo.

Nymphae

Banned
I finally beat that motherfucker, it was the way I was approaching it I suppose, I kept trying to maintain a mid range with him and circle strafe, but this was getting me fucked up royally. I had to just run in circles around the area, picking off fodder for resources as I went, and only hitting the constantly pursuing Marauder by turning around for a second, at which point he seemed to always do the green flash+move forward (as opposed to moving to the side), so I'd give him a SSG blast and turn around continuing the laps, it was almost too easy this way. I still think the difficulty tuning is fucked up, this game requires so much more focus than the original and has so many more systems and environmental factors, etc.

1nqr0jf.jpg

decisions

Damn I am so disappointed that you there is a custom control scheme option, but you can't map anything to L3. Seems like such an obvious spot to put the flame belch, but I guess I have to leave it on Triangle and claw...

MDSLKTR

I wasn't aware you could them off. They really should make that clear and have it be something you toggle right at the beginning.

I didnt have any sound mixing issues. What platform are you on?
PC and it sounds as bad as the wolfensteins :(

DeaDPo0L84

I got the platinum for DOOM 2016 and fuck me I feel like the difficulty spike in this is pretty big. I am still enjoying it but I am playing on Hurt me Plenty and I have gotten frustrated quite a few times. So much shit to manage and when it works it's great but often times I just forget what the hell does what in the middle of a battle and it causes me to die.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Rapidly switching between Super Shotgun and Ballista makes marauders a total joke LOL its easy to do even on console.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I don't have the game yet, but I've been reading through the whole thread picking up tips and tricks like I'm in DOOM University(DOOM U?). I'll get it on PC, of course, and for my first playthrough I think I'll try to put my overpriced Razer Wolverine Ult. to use. I beat DOOM[2016] 4 times, twice with KB/M and twice with gamepad. Since I'm thirsty, spent some time cooking up a custom profile for gamepad based on looking at the DOOM Eternal default config...
ZlHZLIR.jpg
*Updated Dash Label*
I think this will be a good layout since it will allow me to keep my thumbs on the sticks almost exclusively, although it's hard to train your brain to break the habit of hitting face buttons...I've tried in DOOM[2016]. This game looks way harder, so it might give me incentive to finally use all the extra mod buttons. Yeah, anyway...I'm thirsty and this is all I got until I get the game.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I don't have the game yet, but I've been reading through the whole thread picking up tips and tricks like I'm in DOOM University(DOOM U?). I'll get it on PC, of course, and for my first playthrough I think I'll try to put my overpriced Razer Wolverine Ult. to use. I beat DOOM[2016] 4 times, twice with KB/M and twice with gamepad. Since I'm thirsty, spent some time cooking up a custom profile for gamepad based on looking at the DOOM Eternal default config...
09pTbBN.jpg

I think this will be a good layout since it will allow me to keep my thumbs on the sticks almost exclusively, although it's hard to train your brain to break the habit of hitting face buttons...I've tried in DOOM[2016]. This game looks way harder, so it might give me incentive to finally use all the extra mod buttons. Yeah, anyway...I'm thirsty and this is all I got until I get the game.:messenger_grinning_sweat:
You will want dash on a back button for sure.

Sweetloaf

Soundtrack > Game.

I know more people will love this game than hate is, happy for you all but I don't like the way you regain ammo. I've not written it off completely yet but I seem to spend too much time waiting til I can grab an easy kill for more ammo. Doom with no ammo is not much fun.

But well done Mick Gordon :)

Dunno what to tell you chief! Thought they were straightforward myself. I tend to leave them be while I deal with the big boys, the dogs are fairly quick to pick off as long as you keep vaulting around and changing your pathing on the fly. Once I got some alone time with the guy with a few weak mobs for armor and health farming, I found baiting them into lunges and punishing them a cinch. As somebody who was big into arena shooters as a wee lass, I guess I'm just tuned into this style of play, even on a pad.

The rune that slows down time when using mods can really aleviate the pressure of "parrying" the Marauder if you still have trouble with them in the end-game.

Oh, pro-tip for you dudes who're just starting up and have got the double dash upgrade, you can hold down the dash button/key to do it twice in a row. Don't need to double tap it unless you're looking to get more distance but less height.

Sygma

Just fiinshed it in nightmare, the last 2 levels alone are some utterly insane shit that I haven't seen since the highest difficulty in Shadow Warrior 2 in terms of enemy density on the map lmao. Balls to the walls all the way down, and that last boss was also fucking amazing

Don't think a single fps will do better than this in a very, very long time

dok1or

Started playing with Extra Life Mod + Hurt Me Plenty difficulty settings...
Lives, MORE lives!! Where are they??

Finished 2016 on hardest difficulty but this one is much harder. I love that you need to manage ammunition with special attacks and other gadgets...
And Red UI + weapon in middle of the screen

P.S.
RX 5700 XT;
Ultra Nightmare settings / 2560x1080 / lock@75

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just fiinshed it in nightmare, the last 2 levels alone are some utterly insane shit that I haven't seen since the highest difficulty in Shadow Warrior 2 in terms of enemy density on the map lmao. Balls to the walls all the way down, and that last boss was also fucking amazing

Don't think a single fps will do better than this in a very, very long time
My hands literally still hurt from that last level. It was such a test of skill that I have never gotten in an FPS.

I'm playing the PS4 on ultraviolence. I'm a dad of two who plays games a few hours a week. I killed the Marauder on the second try by spamming Ballista and SSG when the eyes flashed. To be fair, I'd seen Hugo do it on a stream

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
You will want dash on a back button for sure.
I just realized that I changed the actual mapping, but forgot to change the label for Dash since I overlayed them in paint. I'm still trying to decide if I should put Dash on the top mod or bottom. It's easier to press the bottom mod switch/button, but my middle finger is stronger from all the working out I do with it.:lollipop_horns:

And Red UI + weapon in middle of the screen
Is this an in-game option or a mod? It looks so cool and truer to the original.

Last edited:

Sygma

My hands literally still hurt from that last level. It was such a test of skill that I have never gotten in an FPS.

Dude the first arena of the very last level I was like BRING ME SOME MORE, and that UTTERLY INSANE fight in the building after ? jesus christ

Even the master level in arc complex is utterly absurd I love it

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Dude the first arena of the very last level I was like BRING ME SOME MORE, and that UTTERLY INSANE fight in the building after ? jesus christ

Even the master level in arc complex is utterly absurd I love it
Havent attempted a Master Level yet. Hands need a break lol. I am looking forward to new master levels as they release them along with the new DLC missions.

G-Bus

Banned
Games pretty nuts. Enjoying this a lot more than the previous installment.

Taking a bit of getting used to the crazy pace. So much fun when you get into a rhythm

Still only a couple hours in. Beat my first Slayer gate.

SpiceRacz

Finished it just now. The game definitely comes up short in some areas (story, flow of combat, the weakpoints are fucking stupid) but improves in others (environments, art direction, the progression & secrets, the platforming). Overall great game and one of the better FPS campaigns I've ever played. The best analogy I can make is Doom 2016 = Stranger Things / Doom Eternal = Stranger Things 2. I think people are gonna be divided on this one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom