• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

| DOOM Eternal OT | : Dragged Ripping & Tearing Into The New Decade!

I just got done with the 4th slayer gate complete with
two cyberdemons at once, and a Doom Hunter after they met their fitting ends after rockets and charged ballista shots
and finished it in one go with modest difficulty and ease of keeping alive. It was no problem at all. So HOW THE FUCK did I suffer so badly on the second slayer gate that took me a good 12 tries to complete?!

It seems that the further I get into the game, I have an easier time with it. Resource management is a joke as there's always fodder to chainsaw on up and flamethrower en mass to keep my ammo, health and armor almost always topped out. I'll admit at first that the game felt like it was going to be too much for me, but at this point, it's a fuckin breeze....a fun, heart thumping, eye twitching breeze. The game feels so fucking amazing. Hope I don't coom.

I finally got my copy from best buy but there is no Doom 64 code in the package or on my order reciept....anyone have this issue? Where do I get the code?

Just beat the game on Nightmare. Great game, had a lot of fun with it. Really enjoyed where the story went as well.

Only real complaint I have is that the boss battles kinda suck, but that's pretty much a Doom tradition at this point.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
After loading up a level from mission select you can change the difficulty in the options menu. They allow you to change difficulty on the fly in Eternal.
Awesome thanks. I thought I read somewhere that you’re stuck with the difficulty you begin on, glad to hear that’s not true

Golgo 13

I honestly think the Unmakyr is underpowered, just a bit.
Don’t get me wrong it’s good, but for now rare the ammo is, it should absolutely melt everything in its path (including Doom Hunters and Marauders)

AntsaK2

Neo Member
I am currently playing at PC with X Box One controller. Some weapons have lowered sensitivity when pressing left trigger. This is handy for example trying to aim more accurately for example Shotguns Sticky Bombs. However for example Heavy Cannons Precision Bolt is way more faster to aim. All weapons not having same sensitivity really messes my game flow.

Is there a way manually change this from either the game menus or config files?

SLAYER GATE 5. BIIIIIIIIG ADRENALINE BONER. I GOT RAGING CHUB. GATE 6 CANT WAIT. God fucking dammit this game needs to stop making me think it is already in maximum overdrive fucking awesome and then it throws THIS MY FUCKING WAY?! THE FUCK GAME?! STOP MAKING ME LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

I seriously can't remember the last time a game has just fucking grabbed me by the head and shoved so much fucking amazing time after amazing time and always giving me more and more mere minutes after the last mega delicious banquet hall sized buffet it stuffed in my face. I do apologize for my almost lunatic level rantings and ravings about this game, but god damn. Everything about it is just hitting all the right fucking notes for me, and I feel like my 6 year old self playing Super Mario Bros. for the first time back in 1985. So far, it has been the absolutely perfect game in almost every describable metric that I needed to get be back into loving video games after ranging from hating to being indifferent to playing games for almost 5 years now. No game has gotten me this hooked so fucking hard core ever. I know for sure that no other game has fucking come even close. I confidently and without hesitation or doubt put it at #1 of my personal list of greatest games of all time, and the distance between DOOM Eternal and my second favorite is extremely huge.

I can easily describe to people that hate the game with a passion and may ask how the fuck and why the fuck am I pinning this as my personal top game of all time. It is fucking amazingly perfect fun for me. I see the technical issues. I see control glitches and gameplay glitches. I see the technical and graphical imperfections. I see the gameplay imperfections plain as day. I see the spiky and sometimes and plain re-fucking-diculous and brutally unforgiving difficulty swerves. I have gotten frustrated plenty and angry at times, but it all just instantly went away every single time. Nothing is detracting from my enjoyment and love for the game. It has helped me capture that rare and true feeling like I'm a kid again loving a game like only my 6 year old self could. God Damn I never thought I would find a game that's absolutely perfect in terms of fun factor, enjoyment and constantly getting better and better as I play through it.

Even with all that said, I can understand and see why people would hate it, find it mediocre, find it a frustrating mess to play, or just simply liking it. Every person's experience with the game is different, and I'm not going to rage on people that hate Doom Eternal and see it as a 0/10 regardless of why or how they come to that opinion. I have told people they are flat out wrong with their opinions on a given game and all that, but I also know that experiences and many many factors play into a person's overall opinion of said game, and me bashing said opinion just makes me look like a dumb-ass in the end.

Anyways. Gotta go be a Mars Core exterminator.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Jesus christ my save got corrupted after a crash... I lost so much progress just like that :(
46499.jpg

mcz117chief

Before I get into my little "rant" I would like to say that I really enjoy the game, the first few levels are meh but it gets a lot better as you go, now the Super Gore Nest level is so much fun, love it, so much better than DOOM 4 and maybe even DOOM 3 (if it stays as good as it is now although 3 had a far better beginning). That said the one thing that constantly triggers the hell out of me is the fact that I, as the Doomguy I mean, missed all the fun of the initial invasion. All those Battle Mechs, and talk about special forces, artillery ships, thousands of monsters engaging the coalition forces, sounds like and absolute dream game. Massive amount of monsters, huge Mechs, huge armies and the Doomguy in the middle of it, it would be so much fun I just can't even imagine how great it could be. It is quite obvious that the DOOM 4 prototype is what actually happened between 4 and 5, I just wish we were there to see it :(

Nymphae

Banned
That said the one thing that constantly triggers the hell out of me is the fact that I, as the Doomguy I mean, missed all the fun of the initial invasion.

Yeah I feel the intro here is very weak, and especially when compared with the fantastic 2016 intro sequence. It even disappointed me quite a lot visually, like the opening pan over Mars and then the shot of Earth with asteroids in view, it felt really....small and game engine-y, for lack of a better description. It didn't feel appropriately epic, you're just hearing radio voices over a static shot of the earth explain the invasion, why couldn't any of this be an actual cinematic?

highrider

Banned
Yeah I feel the intro here is very weak, and especially when compared with the fantastic 2016 intro sequence. It even disappointed me quite a lot visually, like the opening pan over Mars and then the shot of Earth with asteroids in view, it felt really....small and game engine-y, for lack of a better description. It didn't feel appropriately epic, you're just hearing radio voices over a static shot of the earth explain the invasion, why couldn't any of this be an actual cinematic?

I actually thought that was cool lol

Edit: I actually wanted to give some impressions as I’m about half way through. It will probably take me months to finish this , I enjoy it but the pace is exhausting in my advanced years. I really like it. Originally struggled with the changes with equipment and chainsaw, it actually adds a lot with ice grenades and flame, it’s entertaining and serves the game. I don’t know that I have anything to say that hasn’t been said, except that I can’t recall the last time I felt a game so genuinely wanted me to have fun and get my money’s worth. They earned a day 1 buy from me with Doom 2016, and that standing remains for sure.

Last edited:

niilokin

One thing that left a lasting impression on me is the quality of animations in this game.. How the demons lose their balance from explosions or the weight of a turret when it's turning. Even in that one cut scene where the Slayer just walks down a ramp was really well animated :messenger_beaming: . And oh man, all the meat stuff dangling and falling over from the Titan corpses and the Super Gore Nest. Of course the sounds are superb and make stuff feel 100% more impactful.

what style do you prefer? i kinda like 2016 more...

also is it me or some monsters looks more detailed or "realistic" in D2016?!

Doom Eternal for me, by a country mile. It embodies what Doom should be all about, and that's cartoony ultra-violence. And Eternal mimics the first 2 games perfectly in that regard. Just look at the "Tyrant's" design, it's a perfect 3D re-imagining of the Cyberdemon from the original Doom and the cover art for Doom II. Mwah! Perfection! Way better than that shitty redesign we got in 2016.

dataimagejpegbase649j4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD2wBDAA-002dafb8c6c5d3b55987a73f5b9c1e5b.jpg

Ggc3n3F.png

Brom-Doom-II-Artwork-Tweaked.jpg-720x340.jpg

After Doom 3 threw a wrench in things, it's nice to see iD get back to what makes Doom....well, Doom visually!

Last edited:

GymWolf

Doom Eternal for me, by a country mile. It embodies what Doom should be all about, and that's cartoony ultra-violence. And Eternal mimics the first 2 games perfectly in that regard. Just look at the "Tyrant's" design, it's a perfect 3D re-imagining of the Cyberdemon from the original Doom and the cover art for Doom II. Mwah! Perfection! Way better than that shitty redesign we got in 2016.

dataimagejpegbase649j4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD2wBDAA-002dafb8c6c5d3b55987a73f5b9c1e5b.jpg

Ggc3n3F.png

Brom-Doom-II-Artwork-Tweaked.jpg-720x340.jpg

After Doom 3 threw a wrench in things, it's nice to see iD get back to what makes Doom....well, Doom visually!
i like the more horror style of doom2016, probably because i'm not really a huge fan of original doom games to begin with.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Just uploaded my review of the game. I'll share in case anyone wants to watch. 4k60, of course.

Well I am pretty suprised about your accent, "R" is still an issue, but that is basically expected, but definitely really good otherwise (y) Words like litterally, rural, better gives me hell after I lost memory about how should I positioned those in mouth since last year memory loss.

Watching it now.

crumbs

what style do you prefer? i kinda like 2016 more...

also is it me or some monsters looks more detailed or "realistic" in D2016?!

The designs are mixed for me as to what I prefer between the two games.

Prefer Doom 2016
Revenant
Cacodemon
Baron of Hell
Hell Knight

Prefer Doom Eternal
Zombieman
Mancubus/Cyber Mancubus
CyberDemon

No preference
Imp
Pinky
Lost Souls

Last edited:
Well I am pretty suprised about your accent, "R" is still an issue, but that is basically expected, but definitely really good otherwise (y) Words like litterally, rural, better gives me hell after I lost memory about how should I positioned those in mouth since last year memory loss.

Watching it now.
Thanks for the feedback, brother.
Could I pass as an American?

you don't sound like a croatian, but then again, i'm shit with english accents...
I never had the typical accent when speaking English, like most people.
I consumed an unreasonable amount of American content, shows, movies etc, when I was young. I think that had an effect.

GymWolf

I never had the typical accent when speaking English, like most people.
I consumed an unreasonable amount of American content, shows, movies etc, when I was young. I think that had an effect.
same, i basically learned english by seeing an insane amount of US and uk serial tv...
i also travel to foreign countries at least 1-2 times a year so i can exercise a little with not-italian people.

mcz117chief

Hey, id Software? Can I play this game next, please? K, thanks.

Ydi2IEJ.png

My triggering is reaching infinite levels, look what kind of cool shit we missed :( :( :( :( :( :(

edit: also, those shield projector guys look like the Strogg, no bullshit. "I REQUIRE STROYENT" shout is the only thing they are missing.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I'm looking for some other shit to play after this, and I'm wondering how good Rage 2 was, anyone who enjoys Doom Eternal have any opinions on that game?

Golgo 13

Real quick - anyone who bought this digitally on Xbox One be sure to go to the rewards app and get your free 6000 points. Which is basically like getting $5 back. It’s super easy to miss this.

MiguelItUp

:messenger_peace::messenger_downcast_sweat::messenger_peace: Fingers crossed you are right, brother. I would love to play as the EDF and progress through the mechs from the small ones all the way to the mega massive ones.
Yeah, they've confirmed they're "single player DLC", I'm just wondering if it's going to be prequel material, sequel material, etc. Also, how much new stuff we'll see. I can't WAIT!

GIMME DAT SLAYERMECH!

mcz117chief

I'm not sure giant mechs would be as fun as being the Slayer is, but I'm down for any additional content.
Bruh, ever played Titanfall? Run inside buildings and stuff slaying demons then jump inside your mech outside on the street and lay waste to entire battalions then morph into a Megazord and lay waste to entire armies! Imagine doing a glory kill on a 100m demon, splashing his entrails half way across Asia. Good Lord, YES!

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Bruh, ever played Titanfall? Run inside buildings and stuff slaying demons then jump inside your mech outside on the street and lay waste to entire battalions then morph into a Megazord and lay waste to entire armies! Imagine doing a glory kill on a 100m demon, splashing his entrails half way across Asia. Good Lord, YES!

If there is some super badass Slayer mech than maybe I could see it being fun, if it was indeed mixed with ground level stuff. But mechs just don't really thrill me, the UAC mechs just look like they have guns, I've got so much more going for me as the Slayer (notice all the mechs have been destroyed)

Golgo 13

I'm looking for some other shit to play after this, and I'm wondering how good Rage 2 was, anyone who enjoys Doom Eternal have any opinions on that game?
It’s decent mindless fun, but it’s not a great game by any means. Don’t expect anything close to Doom, quality of gameplay wise. The gunplay itself is good (ID consulted on Combat) but the rest was is kind of, well, utter trash.

Edit: Titanfall 2 is leagues better than Rage 2, I highly recommend that game. Play that instead. The campaign is brilliant.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

If there is some super badass Slayer mech than maybe I could see it being fun, if it was indeed mixed with ground level stuff. But mechs just don't really thrill me, the UAC mechs just look like they have guns, I've got so much more going for me as the Slayer (notice all the mechs have been destroyed)
The only reason why the mechs have been destroyed is because they literally fought entire armies of demons. there are reports in the codex of thousands upon thousands of demons being engaged in battle, we only fight a dozen at a time, you would probably have a hard time when 8000 gargoyles and imps attacked you at the same time. And when it comes to their design they obviously have arms, you can spot them on most mechs, you see massive robotic hands in the streets and then you got the Sentinel mechs which have spears and swords, not to mention the fact that there is one Sentinel mech being re-build/fixed/constructed in Doomguy's fortress.

Nymphae

Banned
It’s decent mindless fun, but it’s not a great game by any means. Don’t expect anything close to Doom, quality of gameplay wise. The gunplay itself is good (ID consulted on Combat) but the rest was is kind of, well, utter trash.

Maybe I'll wait a bit longer for the price to drop even more then.

The only reason why the mechs have been destroyed is because they literally fought entire armies of demons. there are reports in the codex of thousands upon thousands of demons being engaged in battle, we only fight a dozen at a time, you would probably have a hard time when 8000 gargoyles and imps attacked you at the same time. And when it comes to their design they obviously have arms, you can spot them on most mechs, you see massive robotic hands in the streets and then you got the Sentinel mechs which have spears and swords, not to mention the fact that there is one Sentinel mech being re-build/fixed/constructed in Doomguy's fortress.

It just doesn't really excite me, we'll see what they do.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
My poor 1060 3GB just couldn't keep up with this one. I knew it was getting long in the tooth but I was hoping it would eek one last run out for me. Ordered a 2060. Looking forward to checking this one out with the new GPU.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
As someone who liked 2016's Doom, I really am not enjoying this game. I stopped playing and I'm gonna mull over tonight whether or not to gut through the game or just drop it entirely.

I found 2016's Doom had better Metroid-like elements which I like, and I enjoyed the level design way more. Also, this game gives you way less time to breathe, and I don't like that. I know that's Doom's style, but I just didn't feel it was this non-stop in the 2016 Doom. I remember backtracking to several areas without having to fight enemies and just going around. This feels way more formulaic. Clear a room full of hordes of enemies, jump to a new area, clear a room full of enemies, find what to interact with to open the new area, another room full of enemies. Rinse, repeat. I don't remember it being quite this much in 2016's Doom, and I'm just not a fan of these style shooters. I liked 2016's Doom, but I didn't love it, and it really was the moderate exploration and upgrades that pushed it from "meh" to enjoyable. Also, I'm reminded at how much I absolutely loathe Doom's mandatory hipfire gameplay. I like to be able to aim down sights in my FPS. I freaking hate hipfire. I hated it in 2016's also, but I tolerated it... barely. I almost quit that one too early on.

Generally, I like more lax shooters that allow you to explore, take your time, offer some kind of distance centric combat, like using a sniper rifle if I want too. And this game's level design isn't making up for what I don't like in a way that the 2016 Doom did.

And lastly, I was playing and I got an important phone call so I scrambled to my phone and I hit pause but I guess my finger missed it or whatever, because when I came back to the screen I was dead. So anyway I reloaded from the checkpoint and all the extra lives I had built up(like 3) didn't replenish with the checkpoint? How lame is that? If it's gonna restart me at the checkpoint, then I should retain everything I had when that checkpoint originally saved. It felt kinda cheap to me, and games that feel cheap for the sake of it are games I sour on quickly.

Gonna Netflix the rest of the night and decide by the morning whether or not I trudge on or drop it entirely. Just really not enjoying this one at all.

Last edited:
So anyway I reloaded from the checkpoint and all the extra lives I had built up(like 3) didn't replenish with the checkpoint? How lame is that? If it's gonna restart me at the checkpoint, then I should retain everything I had when that checkpoint originally saved. It felt kinda cheap to me, and games that feel cheap for the sake of it are games I sour on quickly.

That'd kinda make extra lives completely pointless, it'd be like in Mario or Sonic if you reached the checkpoint flag and all of your lives were given back to you with each death afterwards. They play a much bigger role in "Extra Lives" mode, which is a permadeath mode that sends you all the way back to the beginning of the game unless you find and save up lives. Lives are limited tokens in this game to give you a second chance in combat, replenishing them upon death would diminish their value considerably.

Last edited:
Top Bottom