• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal Review Thread

Bullet Club

S9xIFfl.jpg

Platforms:
  • PC (Mar 20, 2020)
  • PlayStation 4 (Mar 20, 2020)
  • Xbox One (Mar 20, 2020)
  • Nintendo Switch (Dec 31, 2020)

RS3Houm.png

Ob9bs2W.png

Ezz999o.png

iogOpzF.png

IGN - Ryan McCaffrey - 9 / 10
Doom Eternal is one of the best first-person shooter campaigns in years. Its brand of fun remains unmatched in FPSes.

GameSpot - Phil Hornshaw - 8 / 10
Doom Eternal intensifies the battles with Hell's hordes by requiring you to constantly calculate the best ways to rip, tear, and stay alive.

Destructoid - Chris Carter - 8.5 / 10
Doom Eternal keeps the strong foundation built back in 2016 intact, while adding some of its own panache in the process. I think we can officially declare that the last iteration wasn't just a lone fluke, and that Doom is back in the shooter spotlight where it belongs.

DualShockers - Logan Moore - 9 / 10
DOOM Eternal is a drastic improvement over its predecessor in every way and sees the Doom Slayer reclaiming his throne in the shooter genre.

EGM - Michael Goroff - 8 / 10
As long as Doom Eternal didn't stray too far from its predecessor, it was going to be a good game. But id Software comes surprisingly close to muddying everything with new mechanics. The flamethrower and rechargeable chainsaw give you more options during battle, but they can also feel like unnecessary additions. Still, a deeper lore, a banging soundtrack, and plenty of demons to gib leave Doom Eternal in a happy place—relatively speaking.

PC Gamer - James Davenport - 94 / 100
Doom Eternal is a ceaseless, panicked nightmare that pushes you to point and click with more skill and style than ever before.

PCGamesN - Richard Scott-Jones - 9 / 10
Id stumbles very occasionally in its ambition to expand on 2016, but you won’t care when you’re enjoying the best combat in shooters. Pure, animalistic catharsis.

Eurogamer - Edwin Evans-Thirlwell - No Recommendation / Blank
An even faster and bloodier but slightly wayward follow-up to a thunderous shooter reboot.

GamesRadar+ - Josh West - 3.5 / 5 stars
Doom Eternal is a smart iteration of what came before it that occasionally stumbles under its own desire to evolve

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 9.5 / 10
Doom Eternal is loud, brash, hellishly violent, and 100% entertainment. It might not be the perfect video game, but it absolutely is the perfect Doom game.

Press Start - James Berich - 10 / 10
Doom Eternal is a bigger and better sequel in practically every way.

Push Square - Liam Croft - 9 / 10
DOOM Eternal delivers one of the best FPS campaigns of all time.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Matt Cox - Unscored
Doom Eternal is a lot like the last game, but better.

TrustedReviews - Adam Speight - 4 / 5 stars
Doom (2016) turns things up to 11 for the beloved demon-mulching shooter series. With Doom Eternal, id Software cranks the volume up to 20. There’s a booming soundtrack, pulse-raising action and stunning hellish landscapes aplenty, but the sequel still isn’t without its flaws.

Twinfinite - Tom Hopkins - 4.5 / 5
Doom Eternal is far more than gore, double jumps, and brutal executions. It’s an impeccably designed game that perfectly balances every single aspect of its action to create one of the most challenging, exhausting, and consistently fun shooters in years.

USgamer - Mike Williams - Unscored
Doom Eternal mostly manages to avoid the bloat that plagues other sequels, but it also roughs up that perfect pacing with more lore, sometimes muddy platforming, and more collectibles to find.

VG247 - Kirk McKeand - 4 / 5 stars
This is the strongest Doom has ever been.

VideoGamer - Josh Wise - 8 / 10
It's only when you stop playing, feeling somehow frazzled, energised, and jittery, that you realise the game has as much in common with the audiovisual arts as it does with a double-shot of espresso.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Is there more of the politically incorrect humour that was in the reveal trailer, or was that trailer as far as that stuff went?
I'm sure that same clip still exists, along with a few others. I remember in one of the preview playthrough videos I heard "mortally challenged" a few more times and lol'd. So, can't imagine that stuff was plucked from then to release. Would be absolutely ridiculous if it was, lol.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Finally some break for dumbass console wars, well I have it preordered, so I am covered, Well, if somewhat hospital decides to cancel my scheduled check for liver biopsy. I hope they are going to do that.

Dont get me wrong Doom has excelent gameplay..but beyond that it offers nothing else to me....

After slaying thousands of Cacodemon it get really exhausting and excruciating for my palm and fingers...executing one demon into another......you eventually began to feel sorry for these poor creatures...

The game im looking forward to this year is Cyberpunk 2077

Last edited:

ptuck874

doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom motherfuckers!!!!!
gotta say looks really really good, and I had a blast with the last one :)

JLMC469

Banned
Don’t know if Amazon will ship my order and Best Buy is closed until March 30th (at the earliest). Guess I’ll go digital.

Live in Puerto Rico btw.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Don’t know if Amazon will ship my order and Best Buy is closed until March 30th (at the earliest). Guess I’ll go digital.

Live in Puerto Rico btw.
Amazon isn't going to ship your order. Amazon has suspended all shipments of non-essential items.

EDIT: I don't know what the fuck I am talking about.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Nobody mentioning that this requires Bethesda Launcher on pc? Fuck this, fuck them. 250pln is too fucking much for bethesda disposable launcher game that will not exist in few years. I am not buying it and I did Doom 2016 steam pre-order... Not to mention that games are extremely too expensive for polish gamers. usually I scour cdkeys and gmg. It's for 160 on cdkeys but also bethesda crap.
And I even have 120hz crt plugged at the moment.... Doom would be sweet on it if it supports 4:3
EwDfmf0.jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Helios

Wouldn't it be better if they released DOOM 64 with the new levels a few days before to get people into the mood?
Nobody mentioning that this requires Bethesda Launcher on pc? Fuck this, fuck them. 250pln is too fucking much for bethesda disposable launcher game that will not exist in few years. I am not buying it and I did Doom 2016 steam pre-order... Not to mention that games are extremely too expensive for polish gamers. usually I scour cdkeys and gmg. It's for 160 on cdkeys but also bethesda crap.
It's a fucking shame and I've mentioned it before but the only people that can screw up this game is Bethesda with their dumb ass decisions.

SuperGooey

I watched the Rock Paper Shotgun review, and I'm pretty blown away with how varied the environments, enemies and weapons are. It's overwhelming, but in a good way. Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to hold off on this Doom until after RE3, but I'll have plenty to look forward to on my 2020 backlog!

Top Bottom