• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal Review Thread

MiguelItUp

Life support? How?
The player traffic hasn't really been that hot for awhile now. Even in the moments where it's gone up, it really isn't much. It's common that queues can still be longer than preferred for the majority. There hasn't really been any new substantial content added to the game. A few banners, avatars, skins, and effects, but that's it.

I'm really hoping it changes and comes around personally. I mean, the game didn't get the best marketing or advertising either, so a lot of people still don't even know it exists. But things can change, and I hope they do! I still really love the game, I just wish it was given more attention and a better treatment.

That being said the last two updates were much more substantial than the patches before it. So, there is hope!

AndrewRyan

Nobody mentioning that this requires Bethesda Launcher on pc? Fuck this, fuck them. 250pln is too fucking much for bethesda disposable launcher game that will not exist in few years.

Based on Steam discussions a Bethesda account is only required to use the DLC and play online, and the launcher is only required to play online..

TrainedRage

Banned
My favorite part is when they talk about Battle Mode and Joe is turned off by it lmao. Hugo just tells him to go play Quake Champions.

Game has practically been on life support for awhile now. :(
So no one on one vs?

Damn it Joe this isn’t 2004!!!

Also why are his biceps exposed? That seems like a terrible idea!!!

MiguelItUp

As expected, Animal Crossing is both higher reviewed and less cartoony than Doom Eternal.
tenor.gif

mamut

Neo Member
is deluxe version some good stuff or those 2 campaign missions are just a gimmick?

Last edited:

Ixion

Keep in mind that DOOM 2016, which seems to generally be considered the best shooter of the generation, had an average review score of 85. So if this is ends up 3-5 points higher then that....it's a great sign.

Last edited:

Romulus

The reviews sort of diminished my hype. Not that they're bad at all. It seems great just doesn't get me excited like 2016 Doom for some reason. Seems like a standard affair and safe, more content of course, moves etc but none of the new features pump me up. Went from day 1 to a sale purchase.

MiguelItUp

The reviews sort of diminished my hype. Not that they're bad at all. It seems great just doesn't get me excited like 2016 Doom for some reason. Seems like a standard affair and safe, more content of course, moves etc but none of the new features pump me up. Went from day 1 to a sale purchase.
Really? Strange. To each their own! The reviews I watched basically said it's 2016, but with a lot more going on and not in a bad way. Which, in theory should mean if you loved 2016, then you'll love this one even more so. I mean, some even said they can't see themselves going back to 2016 after this. 🤷‍♂️
So has Bethesda officially changed their stance on review copies now?
Maybe per id's request or preference. Id's doing them a huge favor considering all the bad press they've received for a bit now.

Last edited:

Romulus

Really? Strange. To each their own! The reviews I watched basically said it's 2016, but with a lot more going on and not in a bad way. Which, in theory should mean if you loved 2016, then you'll love this one even more so. I mean, some even said they can't see themselves going back to 2016 after this. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not doubting it's better than 2016, it just doesn't have enough new to get me excited like I hoped. They did try and do some interesting things, but reading the reviews just doesn't spark interest anymore.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i watching the LGR review. damn the game looks incredible. seems like the level design has really gotten a boost. the Hell On Earth look is amazing.

seems like a big upgrade from the first tbh. more varied levels and enemies and gameplay. less samey level design more jaw dropping vistas.

i love how there is no longer a pistol and the shotgun is just your default weapon. hells yeah.

was on the fence before this week. but if anyone knows DOOM it is our boy Clint, and he loves it.

will definitely be getting this for PC on Friday

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I’ll speak for myself here, but I think I was ready for Doom 2016 to be terrible prior to its release. id hadn’t been firing on all cylinders for a while, and arena FPSs looked like they’d gone the way of the dodo. I bought it before I read the reviews - because Doom - but I was ready to be let down. After just the opening level, I knew id was back. Doom 2016 was better than it had any right to be. Seeing 8s and 9s was wild. Doom was fucking back.

This time around, it’s easy to want that rush of unexpected greatness back. To have your expectations blown away at every possible turn. But it’s harder to that twice. Doom Eternal is sounding like a rock solid sequel - but it’s not a transformative return to form, because we’ve already had that.

I think it’s ok to want to see a 10/10, and be disappointed with 8s and 9s. Maybe wait for a sale, when a lower cost might make it more attractive.

For me, an 8/10 Doom is still better than virtually anything else, so I’m in day one. Doom 2016 was a rush, so even if it’s just 15 hours of that again, I’m still putting my money down. Because Doom.

To each their own.

TUROK

8's and 9's?

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, pre-order cancelled!

Haha, nah, pre-loading this bish right now. Opted for the PC version this time around. I'm a bit of a luddite and this is actually the first digital distribution game I've ever paid full price for.

It was between PC and Xbox One X. My PC ain't bad (i5-8600k, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080 non Ti), but these One X enhanced ports tend to be pretty impressive these days. Hope there's mod support this time around.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I swear its going to get to the point where people are dissapointed unless a game gets 10's accross the board. I mean Gman, who plays FPS games, and had played pretty much every FPS game ever made, says its the best FPS ever.

Romulus

I’ll speak for myself here, but I think I was ready for Doom 2016 to be terrible prior to its release. id hadn’t been firing on all cylinders for a while, and arena FPSs looked like they’d gone the way of the dodo. I bought it before I read the reviews - because Doom - but I was ready to be let down. After just the opening level, I knew id was back. Doom 2016 was better than it had any right to be. Seeing 8s and 9s was wild. Doom was fucking back.

This time around, it’s easy to want that rush of unexpected greatness back. To have your expectations blown away at every possible turn. But it’s harder to that twice. Doom Eternal is sounding like a rock solid sequel - but it’s not a transformative return to form, because we’ve already had that.

I think it’s ok to want to see a 10/10, and be disappointed with 8s and 9s. Maybe wait for a sale, when a lower cost might make it more attractive.

For me, an 8/10 Doom is still better than virtually anything else, so I’m in day one. Doom 2016 was a rush, so even if it’s just 15 hours of that again, I’m still putting my money down. Because Doom.

To each their own.

Let me be clear, the score wasn't what didn't sell me, it was the descriptions in the reviews I guess. I didn't need a 10/10.

Game looks hot. I may need to see if I can swing getting it between shifts at the Hospital. Sucks the Wife isn't working during all this so may have to wait anyways. Between this and Final Fantasy 7 in early April, gaming is going to be sparse. =(

I swear its going to get to the point where people are dissapointed unless a game gets 10's accross the board. I mean Gman, who plays FPS games, and had played pretty much every FPS game ever made, says its the best FPS ever.

It's particularly egregious because it's a direct sequel to one of the best FPS games of all time and that game notoriously didn't get 10s across the board.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I would argue that my opinion is very rare. lol. I think VR has jaded me a bit too. It's hard for me to get excited about normal games now because they're in 2D. That could be some of it.
Haha, I get it man. Don't worry, Alyx will be here soon. 😉 (Fuck, I can't wait and keep forgetting it's so soon, lmao.)

anthraticus

Banned
:messenger_grinning_sweat: Gmanlives is awful and will complain at the slight hint of any challenge.

Will browse the codex thread.

90 metacritic so far is pretty fucking good! Original game got severely underrated by critics in my opinion (One of my top 10 games of the generation) so I'm happy to see this game scoring higher!

Last edited:
Watching gameplay videos has convinced me. This is one game I would get even if it were getting 7s and 8s.

Grumpy reviewers wouldn't be satisfied with how much fun they were having. They want deeper meanings and genere defining innovation. One of reasons why so few actually fun games get released nowadays.

drotahorror

These reviews, apart from Ryan ign, are from the dull, unenthused game freelancers that like to circle-moan on Twitter about staying up late writing copy. Fuck them all, it's modern Doom 2. Rejoice.

Peep my post above, I haven't watched yet cuz I don't want to be spoiled but gmanlives is usually pretty enthusiastic about FPS's,, especially doom. I don't fuck with anyone else but him and Civvi11 when it comes to FPS's.

MiguelItUp

Peep my post above, I haven't watched yet cuz I don't want to be spoiled but gmanlives is usually pretty enthusiastic about FPS's,, especially doom. I don't fuck with anyone else but him and Civvi11 when it comes to FPS's.
He DOES time stamp his spoilers in it FYI. It's an awesome review. If gmanlives says it's one of the best FPS ever, oooooof man. 🥰

Arun1910

Oh damn, worth the wait then! Glad the PC release is Midnight. With all this Corona I'll be able to stay up and not worry about having to get into work.

Eiknarf

Banned
Price aside, if they were both free, which would you tell me to play:
DOOM 2016 or DOOM ETERNAL?

Which do you guys like more and why?

Last edited:
Top Bottom