• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal Review Thread

SpiceRacz

Price aside, if they were both free, which would you tell me to play:
DOOM 2016 or DOOM ETERNAL?

Which do you guys like more and why?

Doom 2016. Doom Eternal is fantastic, but D2016 is a tighter game in terms of story and gameplay, and overall better experience because of it.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Price aside, if they were both free, which would you tell me to play:
DOOM 2016 or DOOM ETERNAL?

Which do you guys like more and why?
It's a tough question

Doom 2016 is a classic first person shooter with a touch of modern stuff, so it has a direction and is a very one way road to play. You do crazy stuff, but it has a foot on the ground.

Doom Eternal is videogame cranked at 11. It's heavy metal on crack. It's a Dragon Ball fight with those little teleport things all the time. Is 100% at Trough the Fire and Flames on Expert. So it's kinda messed up, but in a big fucking awesome way

Both have a place in my heart

kingbean

It's good.

9 outta 10.

Solid 5 out of 7 experience.

Feel good movie of the spring.

Shame I'm on vacation and can't play it right now.

There is no Doom OT?

Anyway came to post how disappointed I am with this compared with Doom 2016. This is completely a different animal from that masterpiece. It feels almost like an amateur mod in comparison. I played about 6hrs of it now and basically want to just stop playing. Keep hoping it will get better. But it doesn't.

Even loaded up Doom 2016 for a bit to compare with to make sure I wasnt crazy. Nope Doom external just doesn't have that magic. Even the menus seem more polished in the original. Levels feel like actual places. Not artificial area kill rooms with platforms and jump pads and monkey bars sing on. Those being in every area is really silly. And break any sense of plausibility.

First world problems I know. But I regret buying this game especially at full price. Its just not very good.

nkarafo

At first i was kinda disappointed with the way combat works and all the micromanagement. But after a few levels it won me over. I like trying to make the enemies produce ammo/health/armor by using the right tools at the right time. And it's the only game of this kind (IMO) where the upgrades really do make a difference.

The only complain i have with this is that once i found a good strategy, i'm sticking with it for the whole game. Basically, i'm only using the fully upgrated super shotgun + hookshot combo that produces armor. And when i'm out of ammo i either blow up some barrels (got the upgrades for that) or use the chainsaw. The only other weapons i'm using is either the machine gun or plasma gun (i use those to blast the barrels or kill enemies from a distance). I never used the chaingun or the ballista thing in the whole game. Not to mention how the chaingun covers half of the screen and i can't see where i'm standing.

The other complain i have about this game is how "chunky" it looks and how the architecture is over decorated with spikes and other stuff, making it look more like Unreal Tournament.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I enjoyed the game a lot, but... I enjoyed the last one so, so much more. I don't know what it was, but everything in this was a step backward except for the reward system? Hell even the soundtrack in the last one was lightyears ahead of this one...?

Bryank75

Banned
I enjoyed the game a lot, but... I enjoyed the last one so, so much more. I don't know what it was, but everything in this was a step backward except for the reward system? Hell even the soundtrack in the last one was lightyears ahead of this one...?
Just after finishing the first one.... can't say anything about Eternal obviously but sometimes going bigger works against the simple pleasure or pure gameplay and the game loses focus. Would that be accurate in this case?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Just after finishing the first one.... can't say anything about Eternal obviously but sometimes going bigger works against the simple pleasure or pure gameplay and the game loses focus. Would that be accurate in this case?

Not sure it was the size, more so the flow. I think they went to far with the whole “doom guy is this mythical dude” story myself.

Skyfox

Its been a busy year for me so I'm just getting back to this game now and I'm really enjoying it.

Playing on one x and it runs like a dream.

First thing I did was turn off the UI. More games need this option.

My thanks to those who made this :messenger_heart:

Justin9mm

I'm completely against his opinion. I thought Doom 2016 was ok and Doom Eternal was one of the best shooters of this generation. People don't like change just like the complaints we had for the new God of War. Obviously its not that drastic of a change but Doom Eternal is by far the best version of Doom I've ever played visuals and gameplay wise imo. Especially in 4K it looks amazing!

diffusionx

Gold Member
I bought Doom Eternal on sale last week. Doom 2016 is one of the best games of the gen as we all know. I booted the game up and played it for an hour.

1. Mandatory Bethesda.net login
2. Splash screen talking about a live event and cosmetic skins
3. Cinemas like I'm playing Assassins Creed
4. Endless tutorial pop-ups and a warp to a practice zone for chainsaw skills

I didn't sign up for any of this. I started the game on nightmare because ultraviolence in 2016 was too easy, why are they treating me like I write for Polygon?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I bought Doom Eternal on sale last week. Doom 2016 is one of the best games of the gen as we all know. I booted the game up and played it for an hour.

I didn't sign up for any of this. I started the game on nightmare because ultraviolence in 2016 was too easy, why are they treating me like I write for Polygon?
Gameplay as changed a lot as well, the video I linked highlights it, you might like it more than 2016 or not. 👀

PapyDoc

Be careful with the Doom Eternal difficulty, the game will ask you to git gud really quickly.
Something most fans of Doom 2016 didn't like at all...For a reason. Doom 2016 when it comes to the combats and ressource management, it's the worst of the series.

Last edited:
The gameplay so far is even better than 2016.... ! (or gun play at least)

Doesn't feel hard at all but I am not long into it, the weapons feel really powerful, even your stock gun, the enemies explode satisfyingly.

You feel like a boss in this game, going through enemies like a hot knife through butter one after the other... DOOM 2016 was bullet spongey by comparison.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Aye, the story was pure bunkem and just didnt need to be any of that.

I just dont find the platforming to be the issue. I think you could argue that Eternal is the natural evolution of the FPS combat in general. It turns it into almost a character action FPS. its different altogether. The platforming makes sense in the game that ID has made.

I think Doom 2016 is a better "Doom" game but you could argue it was time for Doom to evolve.

ruvikx

Banned
Evil Microsoft forces me to play Doom Eternal on the gamepass today, it hurts my gamer heart.

It's kinda funny though, i.e. we're led to believe corporate buyouts/takeovers/huge seven billion dollar deals have a gazillion intricate details & contracts which thousands of lawyers must sweat over day & night for months & months after the purchase. But nope, Microsoft buys Zenimax & a week or so later kaboom, they throw Doom Eternal on gamepass. It could have already been planned ages in advance of course, but the timing is interesting. I also seem to remember Dishonored 2 was due to leave gamepass but now it's back on.

GrayChild

Gold Member
Evil Microsoft forces me to play Doom Eternal on the gamepass today, it hurts my gamer heart.

Microsoft has hurt you today
To see if you still feel
You focus on GamePass all day
Cause it's the best fucking deal

The Doomslayer rips and tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Don't try to turn it all away
Just platinum the god damn thing

Probably to remind people that they’re brainless lemmings since this game went from Shooter of the Generation to “meh, Bethesda don’t even make good games anymore.”

Doom was made by id Software, not Bethesda. Man, I really want to play it just to compare to 2016. I think I will just get a CD key for cheap. F waiting.

sixamp

Im currently playing Doom E and I love it!! I'm getting 200+ fps with all settings maxed out on my pc . The music is great, the visuals are nice. My only complaint is the forced glory kills and the neon health/ammo pickups.

TonyK

I love Doom (2016) but I hated Doom Eternal for most part of my playtime. I forced myself to finish it only to unistall it and forget about it.

Not interested in a new Doom if it will continue with the gameloop based on cooldowns for resources (ammo, fuel, etc...) of Doom Eternal.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I hated this game as well. I first beat Doom 64 to warm up, now, Doom 64 was awesome as fuck. But Eternal? Lots of platforming, environmental hazards, annoying ammo management and a gameplay loop I hated (retreat to fodder for fire to get armor, melee for ammo, rinse repeat). I just want to blast fools. Not exploit weaknesses etc. This is not Prey.

Top Bottom