• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal Review Thread

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
right on. thanks for the feedback. its sounding more and more like im going to fall into this category.

im wondering how much more enjoyable the game would be with paddles. im on xbox and dont have a controller with paddles, and although i didnt think about it while playing, this video made some good points about how much more difficult such a fast paced game is on a controller, and how its even harder on a controller without paddles. hes mostly referring to the higher difficulty levels, but for a more casual gamer such as myself, i think what hes saying applies to even the lowest diffculty

Playing this game on normal difficulty and even here I have troubles understanding how folks can play this game with a controller. Especially toward the end I'm running and jumping around, doing 180s like in the good old Unreal days amd still getting my ass kicked here and there with M+KB. That game is so bloody fast....

That being said, I thought that the 2016 Doom was better. Liked the more interconnected level design on Mars only. Traveling around all over the place feels a bit off. Speaking of, I don't really like how they expanded story and lore. I'm usually a fan of expanding lore and a good story but for Doom it doesn't fits. Just gimme some bad ass demons to kill and not some actual villains that talk with me and stuff. I don't give a shit. When you do hell, then just give me some nameless demons that want to kill everyone.

Kev Kev

Playing this game on normal difficulty and even here I have troubles understanding how folks can play this game with a controller. Especially toward the end I'm running and jumping around, doing 180s like in the good old Unreal days amd still getting my ass kicked here and there with M+KB. That game is so bloody fast....

That being said, I thought that the 2016 Doom was better. Liked the more interconnected level design on Mars only. Traveling around all over the place feels a bit off. Speaking of, I don't really like how they expanded story and lore. I'm usually a fan of expanding lore and a good story but for Doom it doesn't fits. Just gimme some bad ass demons to kill and not some actual villains that talk with me and stuff. I don't give a shit. When you do hell, then just give me some nameless demons that want to kill everyone.
After lowering the difficulty (I realized I was still playing on normal) and turning on aim assist and target snap, the game is much more playable in a controller. I still think it’s just too fast. Doom 2016 was much more fun and I hope they get back to that style of play in the next installment.

but I am managing to have fun with it now, although I’m worried about how difficult it’s going to get if I’m already having such problems 😒 hopefully it doesn’t get too ridiculous and I can at least finish the game

Yeah and that feels arbitrary. Those fodder is placed there for ammo, but to get it you need to play by the rules of interrupting the firefight, using chainsaw on them and continue the fight. This is what I dislike about Eternal, along with the amount of jumping, the stage gimmicks such as quicksand and lava. Give me 2016 any day.
They are not just for ammo. They are there to keep you alive in the harder fights. Chainsawing a demon will always be more interesting then picking up items on the ground. My only criticism is the base ammo amount is way too low.

SkylineRKR

They are not just for ammo. They are there to keep you alive in the harder fights. Chainsawing a demon will always be more interesting then picking up items on the ground. My only criticism is the base ammo amount is way too low.

Without that and the overabundance of gimmicks I wouldn't have an issue with this loop. The chainsaw was cool when it was used more sparely, though. I thought it was okay in 2016, it was kind of a trump card you could use one to a few times in a skirmish depending on the tier of the enemy.

I also played Doom 64, really enjoyed that. Just blasting away, not too much worries about ammo though for the really deadly stuff its ofcourse more scarce. Thats Doom to me. I pretty much want to double barrel strafe shot. And not worry about weaknesses etc.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Metroid Prime influence.

It reminded me of Fallen Order, where half the game feels like you're playing Banjo-Kazooie.
I never actually played Prime, so it didn't click with me. I just can't help but think of Bowser's Castle anytime I see a string of fireballs spinner around, lol.

I still need to check out Fallen Order.

amigastar

I'm not good enough for Ultra Violence but have completed the campaign twice and have now started the Ancient Gods Part 1 which I think I've nearly finished, playing it on my PS5.. I'm absolutely hanging for the next gen upgrade patch.
Do you play on Console? Because i imagine Ultra Violence on Console would be much harder due to the lack of fast weapon switching, right?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
And low ammo too.
Come on man, just imagine enemies are ammo piñatas waiting for you to chainsaw them.

Ok, I can understand the change in the mechanics might not be everybody's cup of tea, but even then I would find it hard to consider it an issue.

betrayal

Banned
Come on man, just imagine enemies are ammo piñatas waiting for you to chainsaw them.

Ok, I can understand the change in the mechanics might not be everybody's cup of tea, but even then I would find it hard to consider it an issue.

I liked the predecessor better. For me this forced arcade-heavy gameplay doesn't fit well with Doom. For me many of the new mechanics in Eternal feel too artificial and inappropriate. But like you, I can understand those who like these changes.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I liked the predecessor better. For me this forced arcade-heavy gameplay doesn't fit well with Doom. For me many of the new mechanics in Eternal feel too artificial and inappropriate. But like you, I can understand those who like these changes.
I actually liked the arcade feeling, it almost felt like a first person Devil May Cry.

Haha but yeah, that doesn't have a lot in common with previous entries, which I guess is one of the reasons of this being such a divisive title.

I hope they keep this approach for future entries or the possible (oh god please) Quake reboot. IMO it'll will just need to tone down the silly platforming (or make it more integrated into the level design) and make the pickups less colorful.

Ixion

I 100% agree that a bunch of the new elements in Eternal make this feel a lot less like a Doom game. But if you just take the game for what it is, it's great.

Basically, it all comes down to the future direction of the series. I'm grateful that a game like Eternal exists, but it's not what I want from Doom going forward. It's definitely missing an aspect of minimalism that gave Doom and Quake their identities.

Killing all demons on whatever style you want.
Then you're in luck, Doom Eternal is all about that.

You're actually never ever starved for any resources unlike Classic Dooms because you can generate them at will.
Complaining about low ammo in Eternal is akin to complaining about low health in Doom 2016.
100% certified shit take.
Meanwhile, go play Plutonia Experiment on nightmare and tell me you're not starved for ammo.

Even Doom 3 you can do that.
Doom 3 is hot garbage. And your ammo in Doom 3 is absolutely rationed. The only reason you're not running dry is because you're fighting 20 monsters per level.

jaysius

Banned
You're actually never ever starved for any resources unlike Classic Dooms because you can generate them at will.
Complaining about low ammo in Eternal is akin to complaining about low health in Doom 2016.
100% certified shit take.
They lean far too much on "enemies as healtpacks/ammopacks" in the design, it really ruins the game overall and makes it feel janky, Doom 2016 did it just right. They've made enemies do hard hitting damage just to justify having every enemy squirt out any resource based upon the way you've damaged or killed them.

In Doom 2016 there was a similar mechanic, but the way it was utilized just FELT better. It's weird now, you've got too many timers and refills for too many stupid things that will make ammo or health pop out.

Also an over reliance on WEAKSPOTS so that you HAVE to hit those, or you're fucked, some games treat the weakspots as an optional "oh you're good so this will be a slight benefit to you" type thing, where as Doom Eternal it's ESSENTAIL OR YOUR FUCKED.''

They thought making something BETTER meant adding more THINGS, they're very wrong on this one.

Kev Kev

Also an over reliance on WEAKSPOTS so that you HAVE to hit those, or you're fucked, some games treat the weakspots as an optional "oh you're good so this will be a slight benefit to you" type thing, where as Doom Eternal it's ESSENTAIL OR YOUR FUCKED.''
so wait, this weakness spot thing gets worse as the game goes on? really didnt want to hear that... i haaaaaate that they added it in with this spiders. really hate fighting those things. i just want to stick my double barrel down in a demons face and blast away, not do target practice.

hopefully easy mode is forgiving enough that it wont be too big of an issue. i was having a lot more fun on easy mode last night, but the spiders were still annoying af

They lean far too much on "enemies as healtpacks/ammopacks" in the design, it really ruins the game overall and makes it feel janky

In Doom 2016 there was a similar mechanic, but the way it was utilized just FELT better.
That's your opinion that is far from objective truth. Doom 2016 already had enemies as health and ammo dispensers and people loved it. And armor was this janky resource that is impossible to keep at healthy levels without abusing full refills from argent upgrades. Now you can get everything mid-combat, on demand. That's the opposite of janky. That's fine-tuning imperfect systems of the original.

Well, that's just bullcrap fantasy, point-blank. Chaingun, autoshotty and alpha-cycling melts anything that moves in seconds. Yes, including that corridor Cyber Demon from Ancient Gods DLC that got a bunch of crappy reviewers' panties in a bunch. Weak points are more for style or setting up for an easy glory kill.

jaysius

Banned
Not only do all the combat changes suck, but they committed the cardinal sign of FPS games by adding FPS platforming, which is awful and in this game it really pushes good taste constantly, as making the distances you're required to reach being the maximum of your dashing abilities, if you push the 2nd dash too quickly you'll die instead of reaching the spot you want. It even stifles the exploration they allow with multiple dashes but placing invisible walls if you approach an area at the "wrong" angle.

The collectables in Doom 2016 were a sensible amount, they've really tried to make this game Donkey Kong Country with all the collectables like the upgrades, the 1ups, the keys, the blah blah. It's like UBI got a hold of them or something.

Doom 2016, you could kill everything the way you wanted and generally have fun, with this game you have to constantly change weapons just to fit into their odd "puzzle fps" style, while waiting for all the dings and blings to pop so you know if you can flame or chainsaw or punch. There are too many timers/meters that don't need to be there.

I hope the next game in this series takes a HUGE step backwards from all these awful mechanics and returns to what made Doom 2016 great.

Yea all of this is SUBJECTIVE, I never tried to STATE that I was giving a UNIVERSAL TRUTH. 99.9% of posts on the internet are SUBJECTIVE. When many people agree with a subjective truth it still doesn't codify that as an OBJECTIVE truth. Calling out something as "far from objective" is such a low hanging fruit which is why people don't do that.

Last edited:

kyussman

I've been playing this the last few days....I'm not really into fast paced shooters usually but I played Doom(2016)and enjoyed it enough.My reflexes are not too hot these days so hearing about how this new one was more difficult I've been playing on easy difficulty and have enjoyed it for the most part.There are so many buttons to press though,lol....what I mean is so many different things you need to remember to help get various drops in a fight....it took me a while to get used to it.Honestly though the game has felt pretty much like the first one did on normal difficulty which means I chose the right settings,lol.

Fake

Then you're in luck, Doom Eternal is all about that.

When you're forced to use the chainsaw because you're out of ammo, no.

Don't get me wrong, I not saying the game is bad. People need to stop taking the defense state after someone point a flaw.

Doom 3 is hot garbage. And your ammo in Doom 3 is absolutely rationed. The only reason you're not running dry is because you're fighting 20 monsters per level.

Indeed, is IMO the worst of the series, but still maintain the core of the game, with is using big fucking guns against demons without worrying about whatever all your arsenal getting low ammo.

GloveSlap

Loved Doom 2016, but i couldn't wait for Eternal to end. The enemies remind me of Halo 4 in that they are just annoying and not fun to fight against. The whole game seems intentionally made to be as annoying as possible actually with forced mechanics, low ammo, platforming, narrow pathways, sticky goo on the floor, etc.

The narrative is absolutely baffing as well and far worse than the typical plot that the first game made fun of.

Kev Kev

Weak points are more for style or setting up for an easy glory kill.
style in doom? what is this a fashion show :messenger_tears_of_joy:

naw dog. death metal and double barrels to the face. this aint skeet shooting lol

jk... but for real, the weak point thing ruins flow of combat for me (so far at least, i havent encountered a lot of it yet, my first impression was 🤮🤮🤮), its fucking hard to shoot it on that spider asshole! so annoying. i shudder to think how it could be worse on future enemies. along with running out of ammo and having to glory or chainsaw every 3 or 4 demons... not a fan of all that so far

i mean, im still playing through so i cant talk too much, but im noticing all of these things on my own and seeing it reflected in other posters opinions everywhere online, so there has to be some merit to seeing the same complaints everywhere. i think they just tried to do too much in this game. 2016 was a perfect blend of chaos and feeling powerful/tactical. eternal (so far) is everything but the kitchen sink turned up to 11. i almost have more fun watching a video of the game being played than i do actually playing it lol

i dunno, im not trying to rustle any jimmies here. i just need to finish the game and come back and give my .02. i was actauly having a lot of fun by the end of the night last night. maybe my thoughts will change with a few more levels under my belt.

Dynasty8

Should I give this a try? I tried playing Doom 2016, but kinda got bored due to the bland visuals (everything looked brown and red). I know that's a lame reason for some, but if all the areas in a game looks the same, it tends to turn me off a bit. I only played about 3 hours and on previous gen.

Just got a Series X with Game Pass, is it worth revisiting the first one (2016) and then playing Eternal? Or should I just go straight the Eternal?

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Should I give this a try? I tried playing Doom 2016, but kinda got bored due to the bland visuals (everything looked brown and red). I know that's a lame reason for some, but if all the areas in a game looks the same, it tends to turn me off a bit. I only played about 3 hours and on previous gen.

Just got a Series X with Game Pass, is it worth revisiting the first one (2016) and then playing Eternal? Or should I just go straight the Eternal?
the first couple levels of doom 2016 are on mars so everything has a reddish look. theres a lot of variety in the rest of the levels tho. honestly tho, if you didnt enjoy the gameplay of 2016, then i doubt youd like eternal either. maybe they just arent for you. but if one of them (or both?) is on game pass go for it! you might love it

Not only do all the combat changes suck, but they committed the cardinal sign of FPS games by adding FPS platforming, which is awful and in this game it really pushes good taste constantly, as making the distances you're required to reach being the maximum of your dashing abilities, if you push the 2nd dash too quickly you'll die instead of reaching the spot you want. It even stifles the exploration they allow with multiple dashes but placing invisible walls if you approach an area at the "wrong" angle.

The collectables in Doom 2016 were a sensible amount, they've really tried to make this game Donkey Kong Country with all the collectables like the upgrades, the 1ups, the keys, the blah blah. It's like UBI got a hold of them or something.

Doom 2016, you could kill everything the way you wanted and generally have fun, with this game you have to constantly change weapons just to fit into their odd "puzzle fps" style, while waiting for all the dings and blings to pop so you know if you can flame or chainsaw or punch. There are too many timers/meters that don't need to be there.

I hope the next game in this series takes a HUGE step backwards from all these awful mechanics and returns to what made Doom 2016 great.

Yea all of this is SUBJECTIVE, I never tried to STATE that I was giving a UNIVERSAL TRUTH. 99.9% of posts on the internet are SUBJECTIVE. When many people agree with a subjective truth it still doesn't codify that as an OBJECTIVE truth. Calling out something as "far from objective" is such a low hanging fruit which is why people don't do that.

You dont die by missing a jump, unlike in 2016.
2016 could just be finished by using 1 weapon when powered up. This at least gives you a bit more variety.

Justin9mm

Do you play on Console? Because i imagine Ultra Violence on Console would be much harder due to the lack of fast weapon switching, right?
I finished it on my One X and my Pro.. Controller not an issue for me.. Weapon switching is a non issue. It's just my ability to maintain focus.

Justin9mm

Doom Eternal is the complete opposite of bland visuals, very different overall to Doom 2016. Eternal looks amazing.

Also I will admit, I never played Doom 2016 first, I played Eternal first which got me to play Doom 2016. Doom 2016 does start of very bland, it does get better.

Last edited:
When you're forced to use the chainsaw because you're out of ammo, no.

That awkward moment when realize people used this exact same dumb argument against glory kills in 2016. "When you run out of health you're forced to glory kill, muh playstyle, doom 2016 is QTE shooter ". All that drama over an execution that lasts under a second. Give me a break.
Yes, when you run out of a resource you're forced to refill it, and in nu-Doom the mode of doing that is killing demons with specific tools. Water is wet, also.

Don't get me wrong, I not saying the game is bad. People need to stop taking the defense state after someone point a flaw.
Struggling with a pretty simple mechanic does not an objective flaw make.

Indeed, is IMO the worst of the series, but still maintain the core of the game, with is using big fucking guns against demons without worrying about whatever all your arsenal getting low ammo.
Not having to worry about ammo is shit design. It basically means that the sole purpose of having a limited ammo pool in the game is not fulfilled.
id recognized this. You didn't. And if you want infinite ammo, it's one of the first cheats you unlock in Eternal and the game doesn't punish you in any way for using it.

maybe my thoughts will change with a few more levels under my belt.
The game does get more fun the more you learn its systems.
You'll notice nearly all the negative feedback comes from the played it for under 4 hours club.
Here's an anecdote: A friend of mine beat the entirety of DMC3 using only guns with Gunslinger class. To him DMC5 provides less gameplay options and is a mechanically worse game.
Yes, for real.
That's an edge case, but the bad faith spirit of it is the same as every argument against Eternal I've ever seen online to date.
This idea that Eternal is worse than 2016 because you can't face-roll through it in the same uncreative ways as Doom 2016 is completely bogus.

Last edited:
Simple or not, was never was a Doom mechanic. Again, you should reconsider my advice of taking a defensive state.

Times change dude, like it or not. I liked the mechanic, it made the gameplay a fast paced puzzle, where I had to think as I run around the arena who to execute, how to preserve ammo, and whatnot. Getting stuck in the past is not the way to go. Plenty of indies that can satisfy your classic Doom needs.

Fake

Times change dude, like it or not.

Duh.
I liked the mechanic, it made the gameplay a fast paced puzzle, where I had to think as I run around the arena who to execute, how to preserve ammo, and whatnot. Getting stuck in the past is not the way to go. Plenty of indies that can satisfy your classic Doom needs.

There are people like you that love this mechanic and people like me that not love. Is not a hard science. This happens everytime a game introduce a new mechanic. Have pros and con. You can either attract new players or drive off the old ones.

And we can the bless the gods the devs of this game don't have such mentality. Imagine recommending indies over your own game.

Last edited:

JoduanER2

Straight to Eternal. I didn't like Doom 2016 much, but Eternal so far has been my favorite game of 2020 (completed 3 times) and i've played Half Life Alyx on a Oculus Quest 2 sooo.

Fake

You said have a Game Pass, well is a great way of give a try. This game is comming to Game Pass, right?

Duh.

There are people like you that love this mechanic and people like me that not love. Is not a hard science. This happens everytime a game introduce a new mechanic. Have pros and con. You can either attract new players or drive off the old ones.

And we can the bless the gods the devs of this game don't have such mentality. Imagine recommending indies over your own game.

Did you play the game tho? Having a hard time seeing someone who loves these kind of shooters hating Doom Eternal. You may not like a thing or two but doesnt change the fact that the shooting is top notch. The chainsaw mechanic is not something that fundamentally changes the game completely and it's something you easily get used to.

Fake

Did you play the game tho? Having a hard time seeing someone who loves these kind of shooters hating Doom Eternal. You may not like a thing or two but doesnt change the fact that the shooting is top notch. The chainsaw mechanic is not something that fundamentally changes the game completely and it's something you easily get used to.

Yes? I still trying to understand what you want...

Kev Kev

welp, after several hours and three campaign missions, i can officially say im not a big fan of the game. in fact, i find it to be extremely annoying and im hardly having any fun :messenger_pensive: what an utter disappointment. everything about this game looked amazing, until i actually played it and just... its just not fun. it's tedious, overwhelming and infuriating to play. theres a good game in here somewhere, but they lost it by trying to throw in everything but the kitchen sink turned up to 11. but i can admit and see that theres a good game in here somewhere, and a good DOOM game at that, and im happy for those who are enjoying it.... but whatever this is, it aint doom in my opinion, and its not very enjoyable.

ill try and address the negatives by saying something somewhat constructive...

if they removed weakness spots/faltering/staggers, glory kills, chainsaw kills, and all of the recharge bars, and just added pick ups on the maps for all those things (including ammo... LOTS of ammo, and also increased ammo capacity) the game would be 5,000 times better, and id be enjoying the hell out of it. id be okay with how fast it is and even the platformy they just did all that.

as it is now, im ignoring all of that stuff and just depleting all of my ammo on all guns for every battle. then i go for one chainsaw kill, and again deplete all ammo on all guns, then rinse and repeat. its actaully fun as hell just blasting away at them, and ignoring the glory kills entirely! it feels like old school doom especially with the plasma gun, fucking love that weapon! so i decided if i can get that infinite ammo floppy, then i can just play the game like that and voila! problems solved (well, some probelms solved, not all, but ill take what i can get lol).

im begrudgingly forcing my way to the infinite ammo floppy disk, at which point i will start the game over on normal with that and infinte lives activated, and proceed to actually (hopefully) start having fun with the game. wish me luck!

Last edited:
I decided to dive in at $19.99.
I’ve avoided pretty much all reviews of this game, and all I’ve really heard is that it‘s disappointing despite being better in every ‘measurable’ way.
Well, 3 levels in and I couldn’t agree more... like Kev Kev above said, “it’s like they turned it up to 11” and lost what made ”2016” so special.

I’ve actually been having a ton of fun with all the platforming and puzzles... which is kind of annoying, because that’s not what I came to this game for. Honestly, with all the bright colors, the hub world, the awesome platforming and puzzles, the collectibles... this feels more like a Mario game than anything else. That could be taken as high-praise, and I actually mean it as such, but again... this Is not what I came to this game for.

Everything else I have to say just echoes other previous posts, but I will ask this:
Does anyone else feel like a tremendous amount of atmosphere was lost in between games?
I just played ”2016” for the first time 3 months ago, and my memories of it are still fresh. One of the most amazing things about that game was its atmosphere and lighting. So many rooms, despite being just “rooms”, were given amazing life with intense lighting and particle effects... So far, I haven’t seen much of that here.
Even with theoretically AMAZING skyboxes filled with toppled mechs and trodding, giant demons... I’ve just never felt much desire to pause and look at my surroundings in Eternal... whereas in 2016, I would seek out vistas just to take in the art direction.

Ixion

A little. Maybe too colorful. IDK if this have anything HDR related.

Hugo Martin wanted to take all of the Doom 3 out of Doom, which he said was still part of Doom 2016. They wanted to go full meta/arcade/wackiness to free up the dev team to go ham. So yeah, definitely less focus on atmosphere, and more on just straight up craziness.

I think if you look at this as just a big-budget arcade shooter that happened to get made, it's pretty damn great. I too was really thrown off when I first started playing it, but after giving some time I really started to appreciate it for what it is. I mean you have a game that gives you:

-Incredibly demanding and high-octane combat
-A story, that while lame, is still pretty minimal compared to other big-budget shooters
-A fat ass hologram chick making non-PC jokes
-Some of the most metal environments ever created
-A badass industrial metal soundtrack
-Platforming that is pretty damn fun and kind of unique due to the air dash usage
-Heavy neon coloring that makes for a very stimulating visual style

It's definitely less Doom, but whatever it is, I like it.

Last edited:
Hugo Martin wanted to take all of the Doom 3 out of Doom, which he said was still part of Doom 2016. They wanted to go full meta/arcade/wackiness to free up the dev team to go ham. So yeah, definitely less focus on atmosphere, and more on just straight up craziness.

I think if you look at this as just a big-budget arcade shooter that happened to get made, it's pretty damn great. I too was really thrown off when I first started playing it, but after giving some time I really started to appreciate it for what it is. I mean you have a game that gives you:

-Incredibly demanding and high-octane combat
-A story, that while lame, is still pretty minimal compared to other big-budget shooters
-A fat ass hologram chick making non-PC jokes
-Platforming that is pretty damn fun and kind of unique due to the air dash usage
-Heavy neon coloring that makes for a very stimulating visual style

It's definitely less Doom, but whatever it is, I like it.

Yeah, I think the game is actually super fun and amazing from a gameplay/mechanics perspective.
I think it’s art direction is very good also, though admittedly not quite my taste.
I think the atmosphere sucks.

I just think Doom 2016 executed DOOM better, with better art, better music, great gameplay, etc.
This game’s levels are all fun as hell to play... but they feel like “VR” missions in a post-game version of DOOM 2016 that’s unlocked by putting in 100 hours of game time.

It’s not a perfect analogy, but it reminds me of how disappointing Quake 3 was to fans of the series, despite being a very fun and mechanically-tuned game. It further distanced itself from the series’ original atmosphere and focused entirely on gameplay. Well, to be fair, I guess we’re not quite at that amount of disparity yet... this is more like a Quake 1 -> Quake 2 degree of change.

But maybe the sequel to Doom Eternal will just be an online arena shooter? :)

Last edited:

GinSama

They should expand Quake Wars...
Heck i even loved Quake 4.

I mean i miss arena shooters, but Doom Eternal have a good balance between single player and multi player. I hope if they revive Quake they dont do multiplayer only.

Kev Kev

100% agree with these. especially the environments. looking around and literally seeing hell on earth was a cool/nostalgic momen; took me back to the scene with his rabbits head on the pike. and of course all the actual hellscapes. fucking sick. the music is just as good if not better than 2016, and i think the platforming is pretty fun and i like having dash in battle to help get away from baddy's

i also love the way pick ups look. it made me so so happy to see the little blue potions. also the door noises remind me alot of old school doom, as well as the demon grunts and groans are basically revamped versions of the originals, also the blue faces pick ups, the old school looking doom suit that you can earn, other little things like getting on a pedestal/column that ascends into the ceiling and you find a secret... there are a lot of things that they did right.

Simple or not, was never was a Doom mechanic.
That's quite a ludditic angle, no?
Having one room over another was never a Doom mechanic. Vertical aiming was never a Doom mechanic. Jumping wasn't a Doom mechanic. Surely glory kills were never a Doom mechanic. I can do this all day.
Truth is, I don't want a 1993 shooter in 2020 and I don't see why anyone would.
There's a bunch of boomer shooters out right now and I can't bring myself to finish any of them, they're just so boring. All this talk about how awesome abstract level design was back in the 90s yet none of these devs can make a fun abstract level to save their lives.
These old games are precious because they broke new ground the year they came out.
The genre has moved on and right now Doom, yet again, is the tip of the spear.
Making a ye olde-school shooteur right now is like trying to make a 1982 Bordeaux in 2020.

Last edited:
Top Bottom