• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Two things I'm worried about;

File size, not really a problem if you're going digital, but on cart you may need cart plus additional sd/internal memory. Second being performance. These games play great at 60fps and can't imagine them any other way.

DOOM reminded me so much of Metroid Prime that I can really see this resonating with the Nintendo crowd.

Haven't played either Wolfenstein but I've heard great things so I'm probably in for that too.

charpunk

Why yes Nintendo, I will buy doom again. Thank you.

The funny thing part is I was having dinner with a friend who was talking about how he wished the switch had some decent ports here and there and then we both got the notification about Doom haha

Plum

what if Bethesda made a new game for Switch before we proclaim them the system's new gods or whatever, just my thought

Why can't we be happy about great third party support?

EDIT: Wolfenstein 2 isn't even out yet, unless it being released later somehow makes it not 'new' to you.

As long as the frame rate is good I'm there for Doom. Probably end up getting Wolfenstein as well to support what they're doing.

I almost feel obligated to buy them because this is basically a miracle.

When I saw the headline that said "Two Iconic Shooters" underneath Skyrim, I thought "Oh I bet we are getting ports of the original Doom and Wolfenstein. That could be cool I guess."

Then they drop the megaton that its in fact DOOM '16 and The New Colossus.

I will definitely be getting both of these for Switch.

The first time I played DOOM was on a Nintendo console (I ended up getting the incredible PS1 port a few months later, but still). It's pretty amazing that the Switch is getting it. I would have never guessed that DOOM of all things would appear on it.

Double dipping to have Doom on the go.

If it's actually 60fps in docked and handheld mode then that's amazing.

Edit: How many carts? Doom currently takes up 59.1GB on my Xbox One. I'm really interested to see the technical breakdown.

NateDrake

Never played DOOM, but will play it on Switch. At the start of the year no one would have believed the Switch would have Skyrim and Doom by the end of it.

VariantX

Betting DF is literally salivating at this announcement and is already going over that footage with a fine comb. It should give more insight into both id tech and the swich hardware.

On anothe note, really hoping the level editor and MP are available to and theres a Samus themed armor customization.

18-Volt

So, in honor of this announcement, can we get Doom and Doom 2 on SNES Classic? As surprise additions?

And as VC games on 3DS?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
There's no way it doesn't require an SD card, I can't see how it won't.

I would pin hopes on 60fps either.

it'll be interesting to see how the technology scales to switch to be sure

Richard Leadbetter is rubbing his hands together like Birdaman.

Digital Foundry is about to EAT.

TNC is a new game, yeah, but it's coming later. What
I mean is I'd like to see them do something new specifically for the Switch, OR just release a game on Switch as it hits the more powerful hardware.

Now, TNC happening is a good sign of that latter path (if that or DOOM sell well anyways), buuuut I like to see more than belated ports is my gist here. It should be the bare minimum, right?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I mean is I'd like to see them do something new specifically for the Switch, OR just release a game on Switch as it hits the more powerful hardware.

Now, TNC happening is a good sign of that latter path (if that or DOOM sell well anyways), buuuut I like to see more than belated ports is my gist here. It should be the bare minimum, right?

We're still in the first year of "oh wait shit the Switch is selling well?" I'm guessing there literally wasn't time to make the TNC port and that Bethesda made this decision like....two months ago

2018 we should start to see more real parity

seady

I think many 3rd party are still scare of releasing 3rd party games on Nintendo platform from the Wii experience. That console sold crazy but was filled with shovelwares and casuals so games didn't sell on it.

But they need to see the Switch is different though. It is selling super well but unlike the Wii, its success is based on its fantastic hardware (not just gimmicky) and the popular games on it are the hardcore titles like Zelda and Splatoon (not casual Wii Sports). Even those hardcore Indies are selling so well on it.

Seik

Banned

The bare minimum is provinding games on a platform. Exclusive games is the maximum.

Bishop89

Looks a bit rough, but good on Bethesda.

Better hope it sells well otherwise they might get the impression Nintendo is a kiddie only console.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm honestly a bit gobsmacked still. When I first saw Wolfenstein I did a double take cause I thought it was the first one because there's no way they're releasing Wolfenstein II on the Switch holy shit they are

Never played DOOM, but will play it on Switch. At the start of the year no one would have believed the Switch would have Skyrim and Doom by the end of it.

Yeah you'd have been absolutely laughed at for about a page or two if you (general you I'm aware you've leaked stuff I don't just mean you you) would've suggested it. Now the goalposts are moved to "new games" (even though one was literally announced) lol lmfao rofl all that stuff this ride will never end :)

I'm down for portable Doom. Even with cut down graphics it should be a ton of fun.

Now if they really want to make me happy, then include ports of Doom 1 and 2 in with it. I don't believe there's been a portable port of those since the GBA.

Plum

They're by far the best AAA publisher on Switch right now. Them not releasing a day-and-date or exclusive game doesn't mitigate that.

Top Bottom