• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.
DJo7al_XkAEg4T9.jpg

I wonder how far into 2018 this game will be?

Never in a million years did I expect to see Switch box art for these two games today.

Smeags

It's surreal how buddy buddy Nintendo and Bethesda are right now.

For all intents and purposes, Skyrim is Nintendo's Black Friday title, and now we're getting Doom (this year!) and Wolfenstein?

Head scratching, in the best possible way.

PWNGEoftheGODS

Neo Member
I'm seriously considering waiting on Wolfenstein now. I've never played Doom either so this version will be my first time. OMG Nintendo my wallet can't take this!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
id Tech 6 is built to scale and optimize across a wide assortment of hardware configurations, including dynamic resolution scaling to maintain framerate. I fully expect this implemented with the Switch builds, along with hits to texture quality for reasonable storage space and further offset performance hits. If there's one major fault to id Tech 6, it's the insane drive space required because of (I think) mega textures.

They're great scores for Switch owners who want portable shootbang. I honestly can't imagine playing DOOM with anything less than a mouse and keyboard, but having it on the go will be a boon. I'm more impressed with Wolfenstein II though. It might be arriving vaguely late, but unlike Skyrim and DOOM it's the most recent addition to the franchise. It demonstrates legitimate forward thinking from Bethesda.

I'm not surprised Dishonored 2 wasn't shown, nor expect it really. Given the limited performance headroom of the Switch, DOOM/Wolf make sense thanks to id Tech 6's incredible optimization. As much as I love Dishonored 2, that game had serious performance issues and its use of a modified id Tech 5 was nowhere near as ideal as id Tech 6.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I still can't believe I'm going to have portable Doom. I've already been loving my Switch, but if it keeps this up I could see it overtaking the PS4 as my preferred platform.

Thanks Bethesda, I'll be able to play DOOM and Skyrim for the very first time, I finally get to see what I've been missing as a long-time Nintendo system user.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
My expectations; 720p on docked smaller on handheld if they are targeting 60fps and no multiplayer at least none on card maybe as an optional later free dlc type thing on eshop. Even then the base single player experience must be bigger then 32gb at least if we cut snapmap and mp. Would they lower texture quality , how on earth would they fit ...

Would they lower texture quality? Look at the textures in the announcement trailer for your answer. It's already been done.

Wamb0wneD

remember when an investor called them out about not supporting the hot new Switch and they said "well of course we are! We got stuff coming" and then proceed to ignore it for even obvious releases.

I always thought Skyrim was like a pity play by Bethesda. Like a "okay lets just crap this out and maybe Nintendo will leave us alone." But then betbeada drops a double bomb today and it's as if they're all in.

Yeah seriously fuck Capcom and their asinine business decisions. Bethesda is like the first big third party publisher who seems to get that the self fulfilling prophecy of third party stuff not selling on Switch is actually nonexistent if you get some damn games on there that aren't 3 years old.
Let's hope they can optimize well enough.

make it so

ALPU8L9.jpg
Damn this is cool.

phanphare

Banned
id Tech 6 is built to scale and optimize across a wide assortment of hardware configurations, including dynamic resolution scaling to maintain framerate. I fully expect this implemented with the Switch builds, along with hits to texture quality for reasonable storage space and further offset performance hits. If there's one major fault to id Tech 6, it's the insane drive space required because of (I think) mega textures.

They're great scores for Switch owners who want portable shootbang. I honestly can't imagine playing DOOM with anything less than a mouse and keyboard, but having it on the go will be a boon. I'm more impressed with Wolfenstein II though. It might be arriving vaguely late, but unlike Skyrim and DOOM it's the most recent addition to the franchise. It demonstrates legitimate forward thinking from Bethesda.

I'm not surprised Dishonored 2 wasn't shown, nor expect it really. Given the limited performance headroom of the Switch, DOOM/Wolf make sense thanks to id Tech 6's incredible optimization. As much as I love Dishonored 2, that game had serious performance issues and its use of a modified id Tech 5 was nowhere near as ideal as id Tech 6.

god I hope they allow for gyro assisted aim

doom's not usually my cup of tea but with all the praise it got if they have gyro assisted aim in there I'll check it out day 1

Still crazy to think about even though I've been predicting DOOM since before last January... glad it's finally coming. This holiday is stacked, I'm gonna have real wallet and time problems with this, Mario and Skyrim.

Gartooth

Doomguy for Smash let's gooooo!!

Seriously though I hope the game looks and runs good. Good looking DOOM on a portable would melt my face.

Instro

LOL they are leading with the alternate boxart? I guess they are admitting the regular one was ass.

DOOM is fantastic btw guys. If you're a Nintendo only person, definitely pick it up.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm almost as excited for the Digital Foundry breakdown as for the games themselves.

I'd reckon

- Low textures
- 30 fps
- 720p portable, 1080p docked
- Long loading times (which affected ps4/xbone as well)

But as long as it maintains stable performance its gonna be a very fun portable title.

I'd reckon

- Low textures
- 30 fps

But as long as it maintains stable performance its gonna be a very fun portable title.
I'd be fine with this tbh though I'm really hoping for 60 fps. Portable Doom will be amazing as long as it's a solid port

RowdyReverb

I wonder how playable this will be on the tiny Switch controls. I remember it being pretty taxing on the hands with an Xbox controller. Might have to invest in a Pro controller

I'd reckon

- Low textures
- 30 fps

I'd reckon smaller stages too and fewer monsters onscreen at once. Reduced geometry for sure - I'd be shocked if they can maintain the same geometry but who knows.

Titania

The box arts look so wrong, but the colors match so well... It'll be interesting to see public reaction upon release.

Plum

The box arts look so wrong, but the colors match so well... It'll be interesting to see public reaction upon release.

What do you mean wrong? It's definitely weird to see Doomguy grappling a demon with a shotgun in his other arm or B.J. standing atop a pile of SS helmets with a Switch logo up top, but it's not wrong imo.

nekomix

Even if it's 540p60 undocked and 720p60 docked I personally wouldn't care, Doom and Wolfenstein during commute is what dreams aren't even made of, it's above that !

Top Bottom