• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yeah I think 60fps is a must for DOOM, but they might not be able to swing it.

Eh I was running DOOM on my fairly low-mid end laptop at medium-high settings with a constant 120fps. This game scales incredibly well.

I'm thinking it will impress people quite a bit, especially since it apparently runs even better using Vulkan as the renderer.

Maxinas

Need to know if the footage shown was docked or in handheld mode. Either way it still looks /runs pretty good from what i saw.

Plum

I am kind of expecting 30fps for Wolfenstein (it's still 60fps on PS4/X1, right?); it's not as intense a shooter as DOOM is in terms of constant camera movement and I can see Machine Games deciding to lower the framerate to keep a higher level of fidelity.

Though I dunno, maybe they'll surprise me!

Eh I was running DOOM on my fairly low-mid end laptop at medium-high settings with a constant 120fps. This game scales incredibly well.

I'm thinking it will impress people quite a bit, especially since it apparently runs even better using Vulkan as the renderer.

Yeah, this will be very good test to see what Vulkan can do. Looking forward to see how the game ends up looking/running when it's done.

Cryxok

Not much of an FPS fan, but Doom had my curiosity before so I may have to finally dig in and try it out. Portability is a huge factor for me and besides, supporting third parties on the Switch seems like a good idea

How big of a visual downgrade does the Switch version seem? Some shots looked good (like the monster roaring up close) and some shots looked like ass (like the monster charging at you in the blurry, orange room). I didn't play this game on PS4 or Xbox One so I don't really have a frame of reference.

Will be 30. I just know it. Still, FUCKING AMAZING

I recall saying idSoft saying that 60fps is the way to play this game and made sure it worked out that way on Xbox and PS4, so I'm sure they're working on getting the game to play at that res, but I'm still impressed it's even happening! Also, I guarantee this is taking advantage of the Switch's Vulkan support. Not calling it magic or anything, but seeing as the Xbox One version used DX11 and PS4 used OpenGL, both I don't think are good at power efficiency and multicore workload. Especially OpenGL on AMD hardware. Vulkan on the other hand is. If the Switch didn't have Vulkan support, Doom and Wolfenstein probably wouldn't have been possible.

EDIT: I'm not assuming the game will play at 60fps on Switch, just speculating on how the port is even possible.

Hattori

Banned
DJo7al_XkAEg4T9.jpg

I wonder how far into 2018 this game will be?
🔥 🔥🔥🔥🔥

valeo

Hmm... Wolfenstein II on my GTX 1080 ti with G-Synch 1440 p monitor, or Switch? Decisions, decisions...

Definitely Switch

Has this been brought up yet? SnapMap isn't in the Switch version and the physical version only includes the single player campaign - the multiplayer portion is going to be a downloadable free update due to size constraints, however it will feature all the updates and DLC that's been released.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/13/doom-2016-nintendo-switch/

I can live with that honestly.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

One thing I'm a little worried about with DOOM is the FOV. The tiny bit of footage looked like it was zoomed in quite significantly far, especially with that shot of the Pinkie Demon running towards the camera.

I don't think it'll be a huge issue on portable mode, but docked, yes I'm a little worried. They might bump up the fov and raise the resolution a bit for docked mode.

Has this been brought up yet? SnapMap isn't in the Switch version and the physical version only includes the single player campaign - the multiplayer portion is going to be a downloadable free update due to size constraints, however it will feature all the updates and DLC that's been released.

I'm fine with that too, but I wonder if we can still play the custom maps on Switch.

That is if you can download them and play them. Don't know how custom maps work since I only ever played the single player.

sleepnaught

Holy hell, was not expecting this. Day 1 on both of these. Kudos to Bethesda for bring these both to Switch, can't wait to play these in portable. Gonna be so nice.

-Horizon-

This came out of nowhere. They'll probably look so much more worse than on the ps4 but I think I'm gonna cancel my wolfenstein 2 order and get it on switch next year instead...

Instro

Oh absolutely, I'm fairly confident that they will be able to do it while keeping pretty good visual quality. It's a great engine.

Vena

With the limited overhead on the Switch, I wouldn't be surprised if this was Med/Low with 60FPS. (DOOM that is.)

I'm not fussed with snapmap honestly and splitting MP into a download is one of the best choices, should be like that for every version honestly.

Reason why snapmap does not interest me is that it's not making full MP stages.

Oh, that's wonderful. I wish the Steam release gave you a similar option. I also wonder if the option to download the campaign only will be available to digital owners.

Are there pointer controls?!?!? ARE THERE POINTER CONTROLS!?!?!?!

You mean gyro controls, and that would be amazing if so. So much better than Wiimote IR pointing.

This is the last game I would think of making it to the Switch.

If anyone's wonder, this is a Maxwell 920mx with the same cuda cores as the Switch running Doom.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KuVZsOAhHsA

Keep in mind that even if that's the exact same hardware it's running a PC OS on top of the game which draws a huge amount of resources, so it would likely be optimized a lot better for the Switch.

I gotta admit that I laughed when they showed all that footage of Doom in the direct with absolutely no blood or guts or anything. Just cutting between footage.

Same here. One way or another, we're going to have to buy Microsd cards for the switch. If that's what we need to do to get more games like this, so be it.

They should include ports of Doom 1 and 2 as well. Those games would pop so nicely on that screen.

This will still have the center firing option, right?

It's too bad there's no Switch VC, because the SNES Doom would make a cool bonus.

I'll top you both and ask that Doom 64 comes included instead/along with

Plum

*Guaraná;248917013 said:
Doom footage on Switch from the japanese Nintendo Direct

https://youtu.be/k038cik6uDw

Again, that FOV has me worried. Gonna need to watch some actual footage from someone who doesn't suck (the gameplay footage looked almost Polygon-tier) before I make a full impression on whether I'll be able to stomach this in Docked mode.

tesqui

I gotta admit that I laughed when they showed all that footage of Doom in the direct with absolutely no blood or guts or anything. Just cutting between footage.

haha yeah I like how they purposefully shoot around the enemies to prevent any sort of blood and gore. I have to wonder if they'll include a green blood option. I'd play that lol

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Can't imagine a reason for a publisher to show direct feed footage from portable mode.

They seem to be doing it with Mario Odyssey. Nintendo don't seem to care about showing games at their best for some reason. They had no issues showing the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild for the best part of a year when they could have easily used the Switch version instead or better yet the game running on devkits.

Wamb0wneD

Again, that FOV has me worried. Gonna need to watch some actual footage from someone who doesn't suck (the gameplay footage looked almost Polygon-tier) before I make a full impression on whether I'll be able to stomach this in Docked mode.

Yeah lots of fog going on as well and some of the textures are really low res but hey, I can play it anywhere, not complaining. Also seems to look slightly better at other spots.

Top Bottom