• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Savitar

Holy crap.

That was not expected. That was not expected one single bit ever.

Can we have goomba enemies and the main character in Mario clothing?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
*Guaraná;248923283 said:
gOcpmj9.jpg

That's...way better than I was expecting? I don't see any significant geometry compromises, it looks like its mostly in the lighting? The nerf to the specular effects is going to hurt that game's look though

MoonFrog

I'm willing to bet they'll do whatever downgrading necessary to get 60fps. This is a very fast paced game at points.

I feel like I remember you being a Metroid Prime fan, and if you haven't played DOOM yet it reminds me (and others) a lot of how Metroid Prime plays. So yeah I'd give this a try.

Safe bet :p But yes, we've talked about Metroid together and I'm a Prime fan :).

I've been a fan on the sides of Bethesda's "alternate" approach to FPS, i.e. campaign focused, divergent gameplay from current norms, and story focus in the case of Wolfenstein. I just haven't supported them yet :p. It sounds like a cool thing their developers have got going.

Has this been brought up yet? SnapMap isn't in the Switch version and the physical version only includes the single player campaign - the multiplayer portion is going to be a downloadable free update due to size constraints, however it will feature all the updates and DLC that's been released.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/13/doom-2016-nintendo-switch/

I can live with that honestly.
I'd rather multiplayer be cut out and snap map in

That's...way better than I was expecting? I don't see any significant geometry compromises, it looks like its mostly in the lighting? The nerf to the specular effects is going to hurt that game's look though

The texture work or whatever it is on the cradle the stone/cradle/whatever the armour is sitting inside of looks bad on Switch, but otherwise it holds up well in close shots. I expect the main difference will be long distance things and lighting, along with lower overall texture resolution. Your hands and the enemies will probably be good while less important environmental bits and pieces, crates etc will suffer disproportionately.

looks like they are using a lot of blur and DoF on Switch to mask some of the deficiencies. I hope that doesn't hurt the overall visual quality too much. Doom is a game that relies so much on being super smooth and fast. Frame rate will be the key here.

Banned
Incredible. Simply incredible. My GOTY of 2016 is coming to a Nintendo platform.

Wolfenstein 2 |OT| Kill Nazi's on the Go, only on Nintendo

Capcom post if you're ok.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If the texture downgrades are really just due to storage size and we're basically taking a resolution hit and a lighting downgrade to run DOOM on a Nintendo Switch that's wild

Been wanting to play Doom for a while but haven't had the chance. Glad I didn't buy the PS4 version.

So the only thing that I need now is a port of Dark Souls 1 and Batman Return to Arkham and I'll be pretty effin happy with the ports on the Switch.

SuomiDude

Hmmm, interested in DOOM and Wolfenstein 2. Never expecyed to see this day so I've lready watched a full playthrough of DOOM though, but we'll see.

If the texture downgrades are really just due to storage size and we're basically taking a resolution hit and a lighting downgrade to run DOOM on a Nintendo Switch that's wild

I mean reducing the texture resolution has the added benefit of reducing the RAM and GPU load in addition to file size, so it seems like a no brainier.

But like I said before, the Switch supporting Vulkan should likely make this much easier to port without losing much fidelity. It was an excellent future proofing decision by Nintendo.

Please for the love of god have optional gyro aiming.

Seconded. Skyrim has it for bow aiming so hopefully whoever is actually porting this has also been told to include it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I think on the TV, I'll prefer to play this on my PS4, but being able to take it on the go is amazing.

Yeah textures took a notable hit for sure.

That said in portable mode it will probably be actually really impressive. Smaller screen to notice the flaws as well as it looks like the geometry holds up very well between versions.

Remains to be seen in the final product but right now looking like solid / impressive work imo

Cuburt

I did hope for portable DOOM if Bethesda continued Switch support and Bethesda was already on top of it. I'm legit shook at Wolfenstein 2 coming to Switch.

It is a great sign for the system. Easily getting Wolfenstein 2 on Switch over getting it on PS4 or PC now. 3rd parties just have to give me the choice and I'd pick Switch every time.

Realeza

Banned
If Doom sells well, I wonder if they will consider releasing Dishonored 1 and 2. Those two games are probably not too hard to port.

I'm getting DOOM for sure. Not sure about Wolfeinstein, was it any good?

We don't know, its a brand new game that hasn't been released yet.

Wolfenstein 1 though was one of the best shooters of this entire generation. Shockingly good story.

Think if the Coen Brothers decided to write and make a WW2 Video Game

fin

Switch is my new goto console. It's just so convienant, so this is great news for me. Great excuse to play through Doom again!

Hope this means more 3rd party support for Switch!

random25

Hopefully this game focuses more on delivering a smooth frame rate. Can bear some downgrades in graphical details as long as it's smooth.

Top Bottom