• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM on Switch will have full campaign on cartridge, multiplayer as optional download

Cerium

There's been a lot of talk about file size and cartridges and now we have official word.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/13/doom-2016-nintendo-switch/

Bethesda told Engadget that the Switch port of Doom will have all the updates and DLC released for the original game except for the SnapMap level editor. It's also worth noting that the physical version of the game will only include the single-player campaign on the game card due to size constraints -- to play online multiplayer, users will need to download a free update. Naturally, users that choose digital-only copies will get the whole package in one go.

Edit:

MORE/CLEARER FOOTAGE FROM JAPANESE DIRECT

Laieon

I wish it was reversed. If I choose to download it I would prefer to download only the campaign unless I choose to also download multiplayer. If I have the cartridge I would expect everything to be on it.

Jubenhimer

To be honest, with all these tricks developers are using to get around the cartridge limitations, the Switch may as well be a digital only system for most people. Which I'm sure many wouldn't have a problem with as long as they have a big enough SD Card.

Wamb0wneD

FUCK YES. I don't give a single damn about the multiplayer. Hopefully I can seperate the two digitally as well so I won't have to get the cartridge. (Even though the Box art looks really neat...)

Edit: Just read it...Then I'll have to go with cartridge I guess... Damn...

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I would have loved this option on the PS4 as I never want to touch the multiplayer again and the game takes up so much space.

Oneself

Doom has such a ridiculous amount of memory for multiplayer/map maker that it should be handled that way on all consoles.

That's a great way to do it. The praise I've heard that makes me want to play it has all been campaign centric so I may never even get around to trying multi

Yay for optional multiplayer.
Boo because this won't do jack shit to alter the price of the game.

How would they price that though? $30 for the game, $20 for multiplayer? I've not played it yet so I don't know which side has more "value" - do we even know how much Switch's version will be?

Mixed feelings on this. It should ALL be on the cartridge. Nintendo needs to lower the prices of these things. Make it break even. Stop trying to double dip on profits.

DOOM 2016 but portable and with an optional multiplayer installment? Did... did the Switch just get the definitive version of DOOM?

How would they price that though? $30 for the game, $20 for multiplayer? I've not played it yet so I don't know which side has more "value" - do we even know how much Switch's version will be?

I just think it's funny they're going to be selling a cart with only the single-player on it but people will still be paying for the multi-player portion they don't want anyways.

So, for the record, is SnapMap considered part of MP? I know it's its own thing in the other versions but does it need to be downloaded via the MP update in the Switch version?

I know people weren't a fan of the MP but just think. Last gen we complained about day one patches. Now we've moved up to downloading day one "half of games"

Multiplayer was pretty meh
Kinda fun for like a few games but after that it was meh
Pretty smart choice

But if I could buy a doom multiplayer code for like $5 I'd do it

Should be an optional download on all platforms.

Why? This isn't optional for digital users either on switch and discs on ps4/xb1 have enough space to keep the whole thing?

I can support it being an optional install even from the disc bur forcing everyone to go digital even when they buy physical is bs.

Top Bottom