• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM's new patch removes Denuvo

nubbe

The pricing I've heard for Denuvo is:

Lump sum model:
  • AAA title (bigger 500k units on PC): 100.000 EUR
  • AA title (smaller 500k units on PC): 50.000 EUR
  • Indie title (less than 100k units on PC): 10.000 EUR
Or

Per unit pricing:
  • 2.500 EUR setup fee.
  • 0,15 EUR per unit reported monthly based on Steam owners.
It almost sounds cheaper to get pirated

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yep, best scenario, have it on if it increases your sales, then remove it down the line for modding and preservation purposes.
There is no definitive data that Denuvo increased the sales of DOOM. The major Denuvo releases this year do not track at dramatically different rates than titles with limited or no DRM, and even when DOOM was cracked that did not negatively impact its marketplace performance.

tesqui

Awesome! Hopefully that fixes the random crashes that Denuvo apparently caused. At least that's what some speed runners were saying a couple months ago.

OmegaX06

We should be able to test the performance impact of Denuvo now. There were tons of rumors that it caused degraded performance.

Elixist

awesome news, good shit Bethesda. this is how it should be for every Denuvo, protect your early sales and then be pro consumer and remove that shit.

epmode

Not always necessary. Look at what Long War did to XCOM Enemy Unknown.

The Long War is like a hex edit. The best, most complex hex edit ever, but still. The few new assets are color swaps or other minor tweaks.

I don't mean to discount the developers, they worked miracles within those crazy restrictions. I just think a game like Doom needs a more open framework for good mods.

commissar

Huh.

Considering the Doom beta ran well on Linux (no denuvo) and the Doom release (denuvo) couldn't run at all, this might mean Doom can now be played on Linux :]

hohoXD123

Makes sense, no reason to keep paying them for DRM on a game which is already cracked. Assuming it wasn't just a lump sum they gave.

There is no definitive data that Denuvo increased the sales of DOOM. The major Denuvo releases this year do not track at dramatically different rates than titles with limited or no DRM, and even when DOOM was cracked that did not negatively impact its marketplace performance.

Huh? How do we know this?

see5harp

The game was $20 a week ago. They probably know that if you don't for that price, you wouldn't have ever bought in the first place.

Eusis

The game was $20 a week ago. They probably know that if you don't for that price, you wouldn't have ever bought in the first place.
Oh, some would buy in droves at $10 or $5. But yeah, at that point they might've even pirated it then bought anyway for the sake of posterity.

Vash63

Awesome, I wonder if it works in Linux now. The multiplayer tests worked great in Linux but Denuvo caused the final version to crash.

Ploid 3.0

If Denuvo effect performance, even a little, I hope Dragon Age Inquisition patch it out too. I run it fine but I also watch twitch, netflix, and youtube with gaf tabs open which sometimes could cause performance wars.

Can anyone explain why everyone is so happy for its removal? Played and finished Doom don't see what difference it would make.
Personally, I appreciate that this will make it a lot easier to play in ten or fifteen years if Denuvo isn't around anymore to authenticate it.

synce

My gut tells me that Denuvo causes publishers to lose more sales than they gain from "impatient pirates" (which I doubt is a thing). If 100k people pirate your game, that's 100k more people that will be talking about it. Apart from that there's people like me who refuse to buy digital content that can't be cracked, i.e. content you don't own, so yeah, good move removing Denuvo, even if it's kind of a backhanded way of doing it with the game being cracked already.

Delicieuxz

Neo Member
That's cool. Would be even cooler if it went legit DRM-free and came to GOG.

An FYI: Steam is capable of being just as DRM-free as GoG, but the choice rests with whoever uploads their game to Steam. Many developers and publishers actually do make their Steam games DRM-free - like InXile, Obsidian, and many others.

Here's a partial list of DRM-free games on Steam:
http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

When a Steam game is DRM-free, there are only the same protection measures involved in getting the game downloaded as there are with GoG:

- A user account and password is required to log in to the service to access the initial download
- The platform's proprietary installer must be downloaded and run to complete the installation of games (Steam's client is a universal installer, whereas GoG's requires the installer to be downloaded for each separate game)

Once a DRM-free game is installed, there are no restrictions on how the game is accessed:

- Neither Steam or GoGlaxy is needed to be running
- No online-connectivity is required for non MP content
- A game can directly be launched from its installation folder exe
- If there are no essential registry dependencies, the installation can be archived, and moved to any machine, and still run from its exe in the game folder without any DRM checks

The real difference that I see is that GoG has DRM-free as a policy, whereas Steam has DRM-free as a developer / publisher option.

I'd be much happier about Dunuvo if publishers were more transparent about a guaranteed removal date. I'm willing to accept it at launch if it stops zero day piracy.
"Don't worry about buying it right away, you can just pirate it 67 days after release!"

The whole point of not saying anything is so nobody knows when or if it will ever happen. Might force the hand at an extra sale or two.

Tagyhag

Yep, that's why I said "If". I'm on the DRM-doesn't-increase-sales camp.

I see this becoming a trend. The whole point of it is to keep the game from being cracked in the initial launch window. After that it doesn't matter to them as much.

Yep, and Doom got cracked anyway. Once the Denuvo is broken for a game the point is kinda moot, so no real reason to keep it around.

I bought it Black Friday weekend for like, a little over $15, downloaded it but haven't played it yet, that big patch though looks like it was just MP junk. Denuvo if removed is cool though, as said really no point in keeping it since it was cracked, shame more developers/publishers (I know Playdead did) don't follow suit after the game is either cracked or it's been some time and sales fall off.

I don't expect a major boost in performance or number of mods, but it's nice to see Denuvo's servers nit being relevant. Hope more devs follow this.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The interesting thing here is that we'll finally get some actual comparisons between With/Withoud Denuvo when it comes to performance.

Granted, I doubt the demo had Denuvo in place anyway so maybe the comparison is already there? I dunno, nothing that pointed at it being a resource hog to begin with

Akronis

The Long War is like a hex edit. The best, most complex hex edit ever, but still. The few new assets are color swaps or other minor tweaks.

I don't mean to discount the developers, they worked miracles within those crazy restrictions. I just think a game like Doom needs a more open framework for good mods.

I know what you're saying. I'd love an official SDK for Doom. If they could replicate the WAD madness from the originals, I'd cry tears of joy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'd be fine with denuvo if every game removed it after 6 months, let it stop the pirates on release but don't make the consumer suffer long term.

This. I think Konami is still using it with Metal Gear Solid and Square-Enidos is with Just Cause 3.

AU Tiger

Does this mean I can finally resurrect my old Beavis and Butthead Quake models me and my college roommate used to use??

bandb_full.jpg

Check this page out. Still have pages like this from back in the day bookmarked haahah

http://www.oocities.org/shirleydprest/

I see this becoming a trend. The whole point of it is to keep the game from being cracked in the initial launch window. After that it doesn't matter to them as much.
That's the right way to do it.

No problems whatsoever with this supporting this kind of DRM policy.

sn0man

I'd be fine with denuvo if every game removed it after 6 months, let it stop the pirates on release but don't make the consumer suffer long term.

I'd be much happier about Dunuvo if publishers were more transparent about a guaranteed removal date. I'm willing to accept it at launch if it stops zero day piracy.

I actually really think that could work going forward but I also think I would personally wait the requisite 6 months to purchase single player games to communicate directly with my wallet to publishers that I'm not impatient and I will not stand for DRM.

Adnor

Banned
This is great, I hope more developers decide to take out Denuvo after a few months when it has done it's job, better for modding and preservation.

Top Bottom