• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artanisix

100 hours of Sniper?

YOU MY FRIEND HAVE EARNED A GOLD SNIPER STICKER

Do not feel shame for you are playing the greatest carry hero ever to grace our lifetimes.

Forkball

Played Zeus and Nature's Prophet tonight. Zeus is pretty fun, but I had no idea how to play Nature's Prophet. I got that you could do the tree trap and then turn those trees into ents... but I just really never got what I was supposed to do with him.

Neki

Played Zeus and Nature's Prophet tonight. Zeus is pretty fun, but I had no idea how to play Nature's Prophet. I got that you could do the tree trap and then turn those trees into ents... but I just really never got what I was supposed to do with him.

nature's prophet is a pve character, that's how you play him.

cdyhybrid

I usually played him as a pusher that can also gank very well. I got a lot of damage items and attack speed. TP around, Sprout to trap them, kill with your badass DPS, etc. Then use treants to push.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
For Nature Prophet, his trees are mainly for killing jungle creeps, and tanking towers. When he is not jungling, a good thing to do is to use your global teleport and help gank.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Upset against freefarm Ursa and 200 specs npnp.

Match 9241299 for lessons on how to turtle from real pros.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I was looking through the old HoN thread and I came across some stuff that some of you guys might find entertaining, just to get a feel for where we came from.

Tomat ending a popular streamer's career. You can see now-Dota2 player Trixi in that match, and the rest of MSI is in the process of coming over, I think.

Sanjay's artwork in iSketch under his infamous handle MrS. (nsfw)

ul5gC.png

Typical IH salt with now-streamer Swiftlame v Anbokr (LAMARCUS)

Sanjay creeps on now-Riot, former S2, MsPudding.

HoNGAF improving on existing memes. (Sanjay and Kagete's old av's, respectively)

More coming in the future maybe, this probably won't be that funny for a lot of you guys, but if you know some of these players you might appreciate it.

I haven't been keeping up with this really, but is there any word on Mac invites? I got the invite to run the tool that one time a few months ago and I ran it on OS X rather than my Bootcamped Windows.

I figure it will be on Mac by the time of release as Valve has done with all titles in the past couple years (it still runs on Source), but is there any info on if (or when) there will be OS X invites sent out?

I'm interested as I played a little DotA Allstars back in the day, but not too heavily, and LoL, HoN and other copycats never really appealed for various reasons.

Swag

Having just played a game with SK Kittens, and SK Daisy, I can assure you, that they are sponsored purely cause of their genitalia.

NP is one of the most versatile and powerful heroes in the game. You have a global teleport, you can jungle easily, you can push lanes and be a total pain in the ass, you can gank like nobody's business and if necessary, you can also carry. Usually you want to get support/utility style items though (Mekansm, Force Staff etc.) Also, unless you want to carry, don't buy Aghanim's. You steal everyone else's farm with it. He has basically no real skill ceiling which is slightly daunting but makes him very useful to your team if you're good with him.

Phandy

Amazing HoNGAF pics

This what I miss from HoN, and DOTA just doesnt seem to generate it.
Some how, in some way, DOTA just doesn't seem as fun. You dont get all this insane banter and the game doesnt nearly generate as many 'big plays'.
The core game is better (apart from the speed maybe), but it just somehow just doesnt seem to create as much action. And when people play it, people act differently too.

:(
Still love dota though, I wont be remembering S2 heroes fondly any time soon. Fuck you Ra.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
This what I miss from HoN, and DOTA just doesnt seem to generate it.
Some how, in some way, DOTA just doesn't seem as fun. You dont get all this insane banter and the game doesnt nearly generate as many 'big plays'.
The core game is better (apart from the speed maybe), but it just somehow just doesnt seem to create as much action. And when people play it, people act differently too.

:(
Still love dota though, I wont be remembering S2 heroes fondly any time soon. Fuck you Ra.

I think all of that is nonsense really. The only thing stopping this sort of stuff happening in Dota is the fact that we don't IH with the same people as often.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I believe I have come up with the best dumb idea. Jungling Necrolyte. It doesn't work that well on Dire, but it works great on Radiant. Haven't tried it in a real game since it is dumb and I would likely be yelled at, but I have been doing some practice games, and I am normally on par throughout the game. The downside is that I am not too sure how well I could help gank, but it would open up an extra solo lane. I believe the best I gotten so far is to level 6 by 6.5 minutes (average is about 8 minutes), and level 10 by 15 minutes. I was able to get 4000 gold and kill 78 jungle creeps at 16 minutes in the best run so far.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What's up with this game? I suck and don't have a clue as to which hero is good with what but it's still..fun. Just the excitement of landing the final hits on creeps and enemy heroes, it feels incredibly rewarding.

Phandy

I think all of that is nonsense really. The only thing stopping this sort of stuff happening in Dota is the fact that we don't IH with the same people as often.

Yeah maybe you're right.
I do think though, that the faster pace of HoN and some of the heroes, definitely makes the game a little less actiony or something. I felt like in many more games of HoN, i saw something that made me go WOW. Those 'big plays', stuff you would put on youtube.

We should try to get some straight HoNGAF IHs going.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What's up with this game? I suck and don't have a clue as to which hero is good with what but it's still..fun. Just the excitement of landing the final hits on creeps and enemy heroes, it feels incredibly rewarding.

All the heroes are good, it is just what hero is the best in a certain situation.

Lich seems to be the easiest hero to play as, he also has the highest win rate for any hero in the game, at 59%.

Also, Antimage is 50.3%, and the lowest win rate is Alchemist at 39.7%, and Pudge is played 34% of all games.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/rk6xm/there_are_currently_481053_players_in_the_beta/

Yeah maybe you're right.
I do think though, that the faster pace of HoN and some of the heroes, definitely makes the game a little less actiony or something. I felt like in many more games of HoN, i saw something that made me go WOW. Those 'big plays', stuff you would put on youtube.

We should try to get some straight HoNGAF IHs going.

The big plays for HoN in my uneducated opinion are just more flashy. There are huge plays done in dota, they just don't look as amazing at a glance.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
After digging though the console commands, I made a few key bindings I think people would find useful, buttons to goto the spot runes spawn.

bind "F7" "dota_camera_setpos -2289.928711 1329.770508 966.072754"
bind "F8" "dota_camera_setpos 3006.255859 -3018.999512 966.072876"

You can use the console command dota_camera_getpos to get the position the camera is at, if you want to make binds for other spots.

mrbagdt

After digging though the console commands, I made a few key bindings I think people would find useful, buttons to goto the spot runes spawn.

You can use the console command dota_camera_getpos to get the position the camera is at, if you want to make binds for other spots.

thats cool, i believe some players must do this because i'll see the camera switch to those spots while they are streaming without moving the mouse to the minimap. they then must hit another button to switch back to their previous view / hero.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think I have found the mother of all console commands, the command to display information related to the hero performance!

dota_hero_standings_debug

Turn developer mode on (developer 1), and feast your eyes on numbers.

My numbers (Takes up a shit ton of space)

http://pastebin.com/58XLVewP

Not sure of which heroes the id numbers correspond too, but I am sure someone else has a list.

It seems 2 bars really is average. For example, my storm spirit is exactly at 2 bars, and my hero performance is 0.49677497.

On the other hand, my SK is a bit below 3 bars, and my hero performance is 0.7243796. So 3 bars is likely the top 25%.

For someone who has 4 or 5 bars, what do they correspond to? Top 10%/Top 1%?

SamVimes

This should be my full-bars Morphling:
hero_id: 10
wins: 4
losses: 4
hero_performance: 1.2659291
hero_variance: 2.0352254
account_id: 63534417

Detox

I get this for my full 5 bar lich

account_id: 46292385
hero_id: 31
wins: 35
losses: 29
hero_performance: 1.3251575
hero_variance: 1.0980196

Risible

Whoa, cool. Does anyone else have any other cool bindings for the noobs like me?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
hey guys, I'm new to this dota-thing and played some rounds with the sniper. Any sugestions on with items might be a good choice when playing him?

Well, I would say don't play Sniper to start. But assuming you do, grab and boot of agility, a tango, a health pot, a circlet, and an iron branch.

My base line for most characters is 200-300 in regen items, 1 non-stat/non-regen item at best (Stout shiled, Quelling blade, ring of protection, Animal Courier, Wards, none of which would be great starting items on sniper), and the rest on stat items.

Sanjay

hey guys, I'm new to this dota-thing and played some rounds with the sniper. Any sugestions on which items might be a good choice when playing him?

Get stats and skill 3 only, once you get your ulti keep spamming it to push them out of the lane by getting Mana Boots, then change that into a Bloodstone, so when you keep dying you will re-spawn faster back into the game.

Later on then you want to make a Eye of Skadi so they can never escape you. The goal of this build is to frustrate your opponent and hopefully make them quit before they realize that sniper is any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom