• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 Key begging and IceFrog Worship

I would love a key. My friends and I have been playing DotA/HoN/LoL for years now. It's like a weekend ritual for us. The improvements in Dota 2 look awesome, too.

Check out my post count in the LoL thread.

That alone should raise me above the rest of the crowd. I played 1000+ games in the last 10 months alone.

KEY PLZ

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
FlightOfHeaven said:

That alone should raise me above the rest of the crowd. I played 1000+ games in the last 10 months alone.

KEY PLZ
The fact that you play LoL should move you far down the list.

ksan

rac said:
I think it would make more sense to go to the LoL and HoN threads and see who the top posters are there and give them the codes. Since they are the most vocal about playing action-rts games and who have probably paid the most when playing those types of game.
As a DotA player I greatly disagree, I think it's a much worse idea, firstly it obviously leaves out people like my and secondly this has been done before and worked many times.

rac

Banned
ksan said:
As a DotA player I greatly disagree, I think it's a much worse idea, firstly it obviously leaves out people like my and secondly this has been done before and worked many times.
If a gaffer gets a key they can do what they want with it but if I was a community manager of a game I would rather go to the threads of your competition to try and warm them up to dota 2. Rather than giving them away in a thread where anyone can pop in and beg for a key. Sure you may miss out on some dota players but if you go to the HoN or LoL threads your guaranteed to reach your target audience.

Ikuu

The fact that this thread has so many people after keys shows that they don't need to target specific threads, the majority of HoN players will be wanting to try Dota2 anyway.

If they wanted to target HoN players they would give keys to pro HoN players that stream, not give them to a bunch of 1800s on GAF.

Ikuu

Einherjar said:
These keys are selling for like $200+ on ebay, why would anyone give one out to a random person for free? lol.
I too believe everything I see online.

ksan

rac said:
If a gaffer gets a key they can do what they want with it but if I was a community manager of a game I would rather go to the threads of your competition to try and warm them up to dota 2. Rather than giving them away in a thread where anyone can pop in and beg for a key. Sure you may miss out on some dota players but if you go to the HoN or LoL threads your guaranteed to reach your target audience.
lol.

rac

Banned
Ikuu said:
The fact that this thread has so many people after keys shows that they don't need to target specific threads, the majority of HoN players will be wanting to try Dota2 anyway.
So they should give the keys away to people that have no idea how to play dota? The only people with the beta right now are probably diehard dota fans, so lets give more codes to random forum goers so that they can get beat so badly they never want to play the game again.

Ikuu

rac said:
So they should give the keys away to people that have no idea how to play dota? The only people with the beta right now are probably diehard dota fans, so lets give more codes to random forum goers so that they can get beat so badly they never want to play the game again.
Plenty of people are getting keys that are new to Dota, and that number is only going to grow. They need more input that just that from pro players.

Recon

Banned
rac said:

They are definitely not giving keys to just diehard dota fans.

rac said:
Not exactly, I have seen quite a few people who are in beta who are new to the game, I think valve is trying to reach everyone even in this closed beta, they do not just want to limit it to pros.

rac

Banned
Ikuu said:
Plenty of people are getting keys that are new to Dota, and that number is only going to grow. They need more input that just that from pro players.
I'm pretty sure most
all?
of the players from HoN and LoL gaf are far from pro, but they still have enough familiarity to say if there are bugs or balance issues. At this point it makes no sense to give codes to people that have never played dota, hon or lol. Okay said my piece time for me to leave
before I get banned

rac said:
I think it would make more sense to go to the LoL and HoN threads and see who the top posters are there and give them the codes. Since they are the most vocal about playing action-rts games and who have probably paid the most when playing those types of game.

FlightOfHeaven said:
KEY PLZ

AHEM

Ikuu

Why would you get banned? Don't tell me you're getting worked up over this?

Valve aren't looking at everyone that is getting invited and vetting them to see if they're good enough to be allowed into the beta, at this point the beta is moving from being the very small scale private affair to a much larger test, the fact that they're giving away keys to different sites and even getting them to people who email IceFrog.

Artanisix

Give codes to whoever is interested in the game, IMO. Even new players. They need to be exposed to the glory that is Dota, as well!

Go ahead and put me down too. I entered into a few contests for betakeys, and I recently wrote a poem to IceFrog. If on the offchance I happen to get more than one betakey, I'll definitely be looking at this thread to give my spare ones away.

Recon

Banned
Ive played close to 1000+ games of HoN in the last 6 months. Im averaging around 3 games a night during school days, and 7 games a night during the weekends recently. All in preparation for Dota2. Thats gonna stop soon tho, gotta finish my album, then its 24/7 dota2 hopefully.

Top Bottom