• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 Key begging and IceFrog Worship

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Play at your own peril right now. Until the beta is more widely distributed, you're going to be playing with a pool primarily composed pros. From what I've seen on streams, leavers are also plaguing the beta right now, so don't jump into the game and expect to be happy.

rac

Banned
Ikuu said:
Why would you get banned? Don't tell me you're getting worked up over this?

Valve aren't looking at everyone that is getting invited and vetting them to see if they're good enough to be allowed into the beta, at this point the beta is moving from being the very small scale private affair to a much larger test, the fact that they're giving away keys to different sites and even getting them to people who email IceFrog.
No I'm not getting worked up. Just that guy :loling at me I thought you guys were.

I would assume it would be a smart idea to get matchmaking into the game before letting in people that aren't familiar with the game. That way they will eventually start playing people on they're level.

Its great if a gaffer wants to show some community spirit and hand out keys, but in my opinion it would be a lot smarter on a business standpoint to give it out to the more vocal members of the community so they can then get others on board. Rather than giving it to some person who entered a thread and went can I have a key. Who will then just play it, never post about it and won't ever report a bug or a balance issue.

MRORANGE

please?

rrxKB.jpg

Please add me.

Mind you, I just build a new PC specifically for Dota 2, BF3 and Skyrim. Welcome me to the Master Race with open arms brethren!

And by open arms, I mean a beta key.

RukusProvider said:
Please add me.

Mind you, I just build a new PC specifically for Dota 2, BF3 and Skyrim. Welcome me to the Master Race with open arms brethren!

And by open arms, I mean a beta key.
I have 4 year old hardware and Dota 2 runs great.

Spookie

Someone feeling brave enough to email Gabe then? I imagine the regular posters in the other DoTA2 thread have emailed both Gabe and Icefrog enough. :E

Recon

Banned
Spookie said:
Someone feeling brave enough to email Gabe then? I imagine the regular posters in the other DoTA2 thread have emailed both Gabe and Icefrog enough. :E

I have written a Haiku and a story to Icefrog. On multiple email accounts, with the Haiku changing and story varied.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Procarbine said:
Play at your own peril right now. Until the beta is more widely distributed, you're going to be playing with a pool primarily composed pros. From what I've seen on streams, leavers are also plaguing the beta right now, so don't jump into the game and expect to be happy.
That's what I'm finding funny about this. Looking at LOL and HON GAF, that list is already bigger than both. So there is a lot of, "Well its free and I want in" people, with no real experience and like their other beta tests. Play it for a few hours and never return. They'll just get caught back up into whatever hype game is coming out next be it Gears, Batman, or Uncharted. It works decent enough for most betas, but this is a bit different.

They are going to get absolutely crushed. I see people mention 100 hours into a single title is a lot, but 100 hours into a DOTA game is just casual time to many of the players in it currently. You'll be playing with nearly all the major professionals, large communities of DOTA players, and developers who at least had the keys for weeks.

Please add me to the list too!

I agree with Flight, the people who have dedicated a lot of time to the MOBA genre (Action RTS RPG ONLINE or whatever it's called now), should be given priority! I think I'm near the top in the LoL thread.

finalboss2 said:
I'll give 5 free copies of Defy Gravity (i'm one of the devs) to anyone that can get me a beta invite

Honesty, should try to send an email to someone at Valve. They've been sending out keys to developers who are on Steam supposedly.

thestopsign said:
Please add me to the list too!

I agree with Flight, the people who have dedicated a lot of time to the MOBA genre (Action RTS RPG ONLINE or whatever it's called now), should be given priority! I think I'm near the top in the LoL thread.

Yes, you are:

Top Bottom