• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 seemingly getting a Horde mode, possibly custom game modes

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It will probably be a little while before it's officially announced given we're just seeing the first signs.

Given the scripting format, it's also not impossible that they're planning on opening up user maps a la Warcraft 3, but in the event this is just their internal tools structure, I'm putting some extra maybes on that one.

CyborgMatt said:
Unreleased Custom Gamemodes

We now have our first references to custom gamemode support, the scripting looks similar to that used in the tutorial maps.

Holdout Gamemode

The first custom gamemode in the files is referred to as “Holdout”, which will be played on it’s own custom map.

The gamemode appears to be a Horde style holdout mode where you fight against waves of enemies. There is currently a total of 10 rounds, 9 of which are against couriers (please don’t hurt Shagbark). The last round (10th) refers to a unit that currently isn’t in the game ”npc_dota_creature_slithereen”.

For those interested you can see the full gamemode script below:
Source: http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2013/07/dota-2-26th-july/

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'd like that.

I played a match this morning after not playing for several months. While it was still fun I did find myself wishing for a different setting and not just the same ol same ol I already sunk 130 hours into. I know I know that's quite low amount of hours for DOTA 2 though..

Wow, this would get me to play DOTA2 over LoL (which all I is ARAM anyway).

I'd imagine it would play a lot like the Dawn Of War 2 Last Stand mode.

sixghost

It's great news that they are starting to flesh out the custom map tools, but a horde mode is probably the least interesting thing you could make with them. I can't wait for the editor to be released to the public though.

Kade

It'll be funny if someone makes a successful gamemode within Dota 2 that becomes as popular.

Valve's check writing department is on standby.

Sothpaw

It'll be funny if someone makes a successful gamemode within Dota 2 that becomes as popular.

Valve's check writing department is on standby.

The cycle would continue. Except Gabe is smarter than anyone at Blizzard and Valve would own that mode asap. Just like you mentioned.

Randdalf

It certainly won't be as easy to make maps as it was in WC3, I wouldn't expect a bespoke editor from Valve any time soon.

I was always upset that I didn't play more Enfo's back in the day. If they can do something similar for Dota 2 I might get back in.

Combine this scripting with the eventual release of a full fledge Dota 2 SDK and we will be able to make some really nice gamemodes.

I like Dota 2 but I can't normally spend the amount of time to play a match, so if these custom maps/modes or whatever don't take as long to finish I'll definitely play it some more.

The day that Dota 2 gets a full fledged map editor will be great.

WC3 is still unmatched in that regarded, so many hours wasted playing everything but frozen throne multiplayer.

Unless we go back to 2006, Hammer isn't going to provoke feelings of a bespoke editor in anyone. :p

It's not easy, but it's certainly not hard. You can get what you want out of it with some time.

Granted compared to the portal 2 map editor it's crazy, archaic, and terrible.

Mupod

I remember playing a WC3 custom map that was literally this. It was pretty fun as a nice break from TD and DOTA all day.

They need to make it like Last Stand in DoW2.

Last stand kicks ass! Although at some point it just degenerated into me doing all the work with my invulnerable tyranid while my teammates wandered around like headless chickens.

Top Bottom