• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT15| anime only please

Fuchsdh

So I am watching Day9 learns DOTA and I am actually learning some things in the first episode. Which is good, but also feels kinda bad considering what I have played of the game before.

I think Day9's focus as a gamer is on fundamentals, which pretty much everybody wants to skip past.

Twookie

PLD has removed his c9 from his bio and banner > PLD out of C9?

apparently EE is spamming support on his smurf?

charm_crazy.gif

Hylian7

Cross posting this from the TI thread:

TI7 this year, as usual, was excellent and I plan on going again next year. I've been to TI5, 6, and 7 now. Next year I will likely only make it to the finals, since I have a honeymoon earlier that year (I get married next April).

I say this every year: If you're a Dota fan, you owe it to yourself to go at least once if you can, even if it's for finals. It's always amazing to be around this community in person to watch some games, and talk Dota in general.

Unfortunately I couldn't be in the arena for opening ceremony, as stupid Ticketmaster put my Midweek tickets in Will Call, so I waited in the thousand year line for that. I did manage to get in by the second game of the first series though. Once again, the production value was very high, although admittedly in some areas it dropped slightly.

The gift bags were a little lower in quality this year. The Midweek and Finals bags were actually different this year, and it was nice that the Midweek was white so I didn't have yet another black bag. The finals was black. They had okay stuff in them, although the usual water bottle was only in Midweek for some reason. They put in microplushies from previous years for some reason, but there was a Dotakin in the finals bag.

Secret shop was also light this year, but this likely has something to do with the WeLoveFine debacle. They had that Tinker shirt I wanted the first time the Secret Shop went up, and it went away after Valve gave WLF the boot. I picked up the Lina Figma and QoP Nendo, a few microplushies, a few Dotakins. I got the Invoker and Io fidget spinners, and also a free blanket like the ones they were selling on the lawn last year, so that was neat. It was also weird they didn't do emoticharms this year, but I did do a couple of microplushie trades this week.

On day 1, when I was in the Will Call line, there was a guy and his girlfriend in front of me that were from China. The guy could speak English, so when the first game started, I pulled out my phone and watched it on Twitch and he watched it with me. We talked about some things different in China vs other countries in Dota. They have different names for heroes and items than we do, but newer stuff (stuff created Dota 2 and later) kept it's official name. Alchemist was GA (Goblin Alchemist), Gyro was "Plane", Tusk was a word that basically means "Dweller by the sea", Slark is "Little Fish", Slardar is "Big Fish", Naga is "little Naga", Medusa is "Med" or "Big Naga". They have some terms that are universal all around the world, such as BKB still being BKB, and as far as I know in every country it's BKB. It was a really interesting conversation though, especially to get a Chinese perspective on the game.

The games were of pretty high quality this year. The grand final I enjoyed, and was still better than TI4. I don't think it was better than TI5 or TI6. There were many highlights throughout the week. The 104 minute game between Liquid and VP was intense as all hell to watch in the arena. Seeing Liquid go to playing kind of sloppy to what they were by the end of the week: confidently beating Newbee was amazing. Earlier in the week I was kind of worried for Liquid. I had come in wanting EG to win, but after they were out quickly I was cheering for Liquid. While the Grand Final seemed kind of one sided, Liquid played really well and were fun to watch there. Game 2 and 3 were interesting in the GF. The first series against LFY that day, it was cool seeing the NP rat strat emerge, then it seemed like Liquid realized they were onto something and kept doing it the rest of the day, and obviously it paid off.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I liked the filler content like Kaci and Slacks (yeah, I actually like Slacks). It's still honestly truly amazing to me though how Kaci came in in TI3 knowing next to nothing about Dota, and while she still doesn't actively play (Slacks trying to teach her was funny), she knows a lot more and is a well respected on the scene. Also congrats to her on the pregnancy! I thought what was really good, and something they brought back from last year, was segments like Not Playing Dota and The International Archives. The International Archives that was most interesting to me was the "Dota Evolution" one. This one discussed the circustances of TI1, how the players and organizations found about it two weeks before, and many thought it wasn't legit. They were worried about trying an updated version of Dota since it wasn't what they were used to. Seeing the reaction on the players' faces when Gabe told them that Gem does not reveal wards, and was a bug was priceless. I love seeing stuff like that, and when they showed clips of the game from the TI1 era, you can see how far the game has come since then. Jack's Corner was also excellent, and was the "Weatherman Purge" of this year. I'm also glad Weatherman Purge was back.

Friday night was a real highlight, as on Wednesday night Machine said there would be an announcement on Thursday, and there wasn't. On Friday we saw the orchestra set on the floor and knew that would be involved somehow. The first surprise that day though was the 1v1 of Dendi vs the bot by OpenAI. First off, I was excited to see Dendi, as this was the first TI without him playing on a team, and was definitely a weird feeling. He was bursting with his personality when he came out doing his boxing routine, and seeing him play against the bot was awesome. That bot was incredibly smart at playing 1v1 mid, and I'm excited to see OpenAI get it to play 5v5 next year. After the end of that day, I went over to the Red Bull LAN area to go try playing against the bot. I went over there with DrKirby. They give you two tries to beat it (meaning two games, each time you lose if you die twice or lose your tower). The first try for me was awful, I was not used to how the mouse felt and my hotkeys were fucked up. I tried to hit Alt+W to use my Salve and was like "wtf why isn't it working?" and saw it was bound to X. I died twice quickly due to it being super aggressive with Razes and me running around like a bumbling idiot. Before the next attempt I fixed my controls and made it more manageable. It wasn't perfect, but it was doable. I tried to play it conventionally, it got a perfect creep block and just went past creep wave to trade hits with me, and did it so efficiently, even with a creep hitting him, then went back to getting CS under his tower. He was still incredibly aggressive with Razes, canceling them when he knew he would whiff them. DrKirby actually beat it, and he did an unconventional strategy. I think he's already explained it here, but bottom line it involved a creep skip. Also the rules were you had to pick SF, no bottle, no runes, no neutrals, no soul ring.

That night at the end the megaton dropped. There were rumors of two new heroes, one being Sylph, which based on the trailer, was all but confirmed to be correct. I really didn't think there would be two new heroes. It was really neat having the orchestra into the reveal of the pangolin hero, and then the surprise of the second one. Definitely looking forward to the Dueling Fates update, and seeing if these crazy rumors about Talents are true.

The obligatory hats paragraph for Shira: I didn't get anything particularly special out of the two chests that came with the figurines, but I did get two of the First Blood chests (randomly given to people in the arena when a First Blood happens). I sold the first one on market for $115 ($100 profit for me), and the second one I took the gamble and opened. I got the Spectre item, which was going for much higher than the others or the chest itself. I put that on market for $215 and will make $186 on that when it sells.
misc-rng.gif

It was great to see GAF people again, we didn't get to do any kind of meetup (we really shoudl have just done it Friday instead of trying to scramble to do it yesterday). However we did all sit together. I hope to see you all next year.

For a picture this year, Sheever tweeted yesterday that her and ODPixel would be by the Jugg statue after the first game of the first series. I went out and met with them, and got a picture with them. They're both really nice and genuine in person.

Overall TI was a great trip and I plan on being there for the finals next year. I'm waiting in the airport right now, with plenty of time to kill so I'm about to play some Dota.

Xater

I have now spent hours watching those Day9 videos. Purge is a really good teacher. Wish I could get a coach like that. Must be nice to have those connections. lol

J2d

Are there a lot of euros playing on gaf? I've been playing this overwhelmingly solo for 3k hours but maybe now is the time to play with someone else..

J2d

Doesn't seem that high? I was reminiscing my Starcraft days but honestly some of them actually tried to compete (destiny)

PPD coming back to EG would not be a surprise.

RTZ leaving wouldn't either....

Please I just want good EG back.

I mean, EG did win like 3 tournaments and place Top 3 at 2 Major's with their current lineup. They just fell apart at TI. I think they should try swapping Zai and Cr1t's entire roles. Or have someone else draft--from seeing them all on the analyst desk I feel like they all have the knowledge to do drafting decently well, but Zai strikes me as the kind of guy that could outsmart his opponents with drafts.

J2d

PPD coming back to EG would not be a surprise.
It would to me, I don't follow other esports but how do you manage EG as a whole and play dota full time? He would have to step down and that would confuse me, like why quit dota in the first place?

shira

I don't think that's listed in terms of farm priority. There's no way you move Universe away from offlane.

Zai was more than competent on offlane, for Secret. The only advantage Universe has is on Faceless Void. Zai's darkseer and enigma are pretty nifty

Fuchsdh

Well, I can hope that AI they showed off at TI gets to a point where they can replace the sadsack bots currently in the game. Playing on unfair and I don't even have to do anything, just farmed Luna mid and then jungle for 30 minutes.

Qvoth

eg would be dumb as hell to let sumail go, they should do everything they can to hold him, like navi with dendi
unless sumail really is enjoying playing with DA BOISH and can't stand anyone else, i don't see him leaving

Top Bottom