• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Dragon IV |OT| The masters of the art of Ssetsuken return!

Coda

dd4-ttl-en.png

is returning to PS4 and Steam on January 30th, 2017 to celebrate the series' 30th anniversary.

y7AU27X.png

New English Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJM21W2ACPU

Double Dragon IV is a return to the series' NES roots and is a direct sequel to Double Dragon II: The Revenge on the NES.

ttl-en.png

whatis-ss-jp.jpg

Double Dragon began in 1987 as an arcade game, and is credited as the series that established the side-scrolling beat 'em up genre. The game features Billy and Jimmy Lee, both masters of the Sōsetsuken martial art. In addition to kicks and punches, the two also use special moves and enemy weapons to take down foes in a captivating fashion as they progress through the game's stages. It is a game renowned for its satisfying difficulty balance and fun cooperative mode. In 2017, the Double Dragon series celebrates its 30th birthday!

Double Dragon IV is the next chapter in the Double Dragon series, made in celebration of the original game's 30th anniversary. It preserves the original game's charm and adds many new features, such as new modes and characters! The wealth of features gives the game a replay value that will keep you coming back for more! Fan favorite characters from the past may also make an appearance! With its variety of new features, you won't want to miss Double Dragon IV!

timeline-ttl-en.png

timeline-dd-img.jpg

Double Dragon
The kidnapping of Marian leads to a battle with the violent gang, the Black Warriors.

timeline-dd3-img.jpg

Double Dragon III: The Rosetta Stone
Following a request from a fortune teller named Hiruko, the brothers head out a globe-spanning journey in pursuit of the Rosetta Stones.

timeline-dd2-img.jpg

Double Dragon 2: The Revenge
The brothers take on a mysterious gang as a way to take vengeance for the murder of Marian, their friend and girlfriend.

timeline-dd4-img.png

Double Dragon IV
The story continues...

ttl-en.png

story-ttl-en.png

story-ss01.jpg
story-ss02.jpg

It is a continuation of the story in Double Dragon II: The Revenge, and features all new enemies! Defeat the on-rushing attackers, and try to clear all the stages!
The game can also be played with a friend!
(When first playing the game, Billy and Jimmy are the only selectable characters, but finishing all stages unlocks Tower Mode. Play this mode to unlock enemy characters for use in Story Mode.)

duel-ttl-en.png

duel-ss01.jpg
duel-ss02.jpg

Progress in Story Mode to unlock extra characters for use in this mode!
In this mode even enemy characters are selectable! They possess different skills to those seen in Story Mode, so try playing as all sorts of characters!

tower-ttl-en.png

tower-ss01.jpg
tower-ss02.jpg

tower-txt-en.png

There are no continues! How far up the tower can you make it?
New playable characters useable in all modes will unlock depending on the number of enemies you manage to defeat.

tower-secret-en.png

share-ttl-en.png

share-txt-en.png

Share Play is a feature that lets you play Double Dragon 4 with a friend even if they don't own the game!
Press the SHARE Button on the DUALSHOCK™4 wireless controller and send a game invitation to a friend to enjoy the game together or get help on a stage you can't clear.
- To use Share Play to play with another person, both parties must be PlayStation Plus members.
- When using Share Play, there is a one hour time limit for each play session. When an hour has passed, the visiting player's play session will automatically end.

ttl-en.png

operation-ps4-en.png
operation-steam.png

operation-ps4-list-en.png
operation-steam-list-en.png

moves-ttl-en.png

cDSeLJM.png

vCfpRs4.png

r5zhL32.png

hgAbHZD.png

p37hKNd.png

eA6GQxY.png

Mf9ncKF.png

fBJElax.png

KTTIK5v.png

ttl-en.png

NZVkCEr.png

L1poom7.png

FF7pLHG.png

MiYRPxq.png

RNzteoL.png

knvjN1H.png

phhEsIV.png

u4EmIzO.png

zUsUHVz.png

MABze2r.png

1oBf7Dd.png

nKPJyh8.png

raEMLik.png

OeP2o9E.png

p4zLx0I.png

gbimqpY.png

ttl-en.png

b3NWsb2.png

eS1wMvm.png

AZnA75D.png

7zUk2Mj.png

ivnbvQX.png

AmyS

Since this is a direct sequel to the NES version of Double Dragon II The Revenge, I thought everyone who hasn't already seen my post in the other DDIV thread,
might enjoy reading EGM's coverage of NES DDII from 1989 and early 1990.

zIdediS.jpg

FNBVmfd.jpg

WLkVKFp.jpg

J2ODmVD.jpg

Box shots:

OmegaDL50

Official Japanese website says this is 800 Yen, so I guess that might mean it'll be $10 on Steam and PSN, unless they jack the price up to $15 which might be a stretch for a NES / Retro inspired sequel.

didn't know this was out so soon. can't wait for impressions. i hope we'll get a physical version down the line if this turns out to be good.

MutFox

Banned
I recently found the poster that came with DD2 on the NES...
Looks like:

0NmGNAw.jpg

I want a clean print of that of just the artwork and title, nothing else... :/

eastx

So glad Double Dragon is coming back!

But thread-wise, the giant images on the first page are overkill.

JaseMath

Curious to see in-depth impressions. I loved DD as a kid, but for whatever reason, have next to zero interest in this. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, though!

dcx4610

Can't wait. I probably beat DD2 more times than any game. It's still satisfying to this day.

I just went through and beat both the arcade and NES versions of 1-3 to lead up to this one. I'll be getting it on PC but I hope it also gets a Switch port. It's only fitting.

OmegaDL50

I really can't see this being a bad game. They have the original staff members of the NES Double Dragon games involved in it's development.

With Kishimoto and Yamane involved the gameplay and audio should be solid, and with Ogata doing the artwork, there really isn't any reason for Double Dragon 4 to not be a solid follow up to the NES games, with all of the key people involved doing their same job as they did years ago in the original games.

Dumb question. Isn't there already a dd4 (and 5 for that matter)? Can't say I'm up on the stories of them (5 was a fighting game irrc so not even sure there was a story) ,but is this basically ignoring them?

dcx4610

Dumb question. Isn't there already a dd4 (and 5 for that matter)? Can't say I'm up on the stories of them (5 was a fighting game irrc so not even sure there was a story) ,but is this basically ignoring them?

There was never an official 4. People called the SNES game 4 but it was never titled that. There was a Double Dragon V when the license got sold to another company but it was based off the cartoon and they just slapped 5 on it since there were 4 Double Dragon games before it.

This is the official 4.

OmegaDL50

There was never an official 4. People called the SNES game 4 but it was never titled that. There was a Double Dragon V when the license got sold to another company but it was based off the cartoon and they just slapped 5 on it since there were 4 Double Dragon games before it.

This is the official 4.

This is correct, in fact even the Japanese version of Super Double Dragon was called "Return of Double Dragon" no denotation to being the fourth game in the title.

Actually with the new timeline, I never even knew that Double Dragon III took place after the first game, with DD2: The Revenge being the follow up.

dcx4610

This is correct, in fact even the Japanese version of Super Double Dragon was called "Return of Double Dragon" no denotation to being the fourth game in the title.

Actually with the new timeline, I never even knew that Double Dragon III took place after the first game, with DD2: The Revenge being the follow up.

I kinda think they retconned that as an excuse to use DD2 graphics and moves. I don't know that for a fact but it doesn't really make sense otherwise.

OmegaDL50

Man, I remember DD3 being unreasonably difficult. You only had ONE fucking life!

Yeah it was an issue that each character you recruited had their own individual health meter.

Double Dragon II interestingly enough had an exploit to make the game very easy.

In 2 Player B mode which enabled Friendly Fire, if Player 1 killed Player 2, player 1 would gain an extra life, and player 2 killing player 1, gains player 2 an extra life.

You could effectively make it so you'd always have full lives during the play through if you let the other player to finish you off when your health was low to effectively trade lives back and forth.

This also works in a player 1 run on Supreme Master difficulty, in that you just kill player 2 over and over to steal all of his lives to have 7 lives to beat the game on the hardest difficulty.

Coda

I like how that character artist apologizes in his interview for the stage backgrounds stating that it was the hardest part of the project for him. I don't think they look amazingly great so far but I can understand the sentiment that he had a hard task he wasn't used to making. Counting down the hours to play!

Glorious OT and day fucking one!

Also, someone have a high res link to the DD2 poster?
I still wanna make a poster of that and throw it on the family gameroom wall (^_____^)

TreIII

Great OT.

And definitely can't wait to dig into this one. ASW scooping up the Kunio-kun and Double Dragon licenses, along with a number of the original devs, is one of the best things they've done in recent years, as far as I'm concerned!

Haha never seen pics of game til today. Looks like it leapt straight outta the past. Not sure if I'm interested since I never enjoyed the series too much but this is some admirable pixel art. Love the look.

Nice EGM scans posted. I still remember them well, especially that moving platform machine thing from DD2.

dcx4610

Man, I remember DD3 being unreasonably difficult. You only had ONE fucking life!

It's actually pretty easy until the last boss. You actually get 3 lives (one per character you unlock and 4 with Jimmy) I think AVGN unfairly painted a bad picture about the game. It's definitely the worst of the 3 but that's because it's different.

The idea is you get weapons and you are supposed to use those on the bosses. Fight to the boss, activate your weapon and beat them without even getting hit. When you unlock Chin (who AVGN says sucks), he may be slow but the wrecks every enemy with just a few punches. Fight the boss, use his weapon and you never get hit. The Ninja does kind of suck because he's so weak but he comes in handy on the last boss.

DD3 isn't great but I like it for what it is. The last boss is ridiculous though. You better make sure you have all 3-4 characters at full life once you get to her.

Blindy

Wow. It's only going to be 6.99. Great price.
I assume that is for PS Plus owners?

I mean I think I need to bite on this game for 7 bucks in all honesty.

Where do you see that if you don't mind me asking? Searched the PS Store, did not see it up.

Coda

Where do you see that if you don't mind me asking? Searched the PS Store, did not see it up.

I wonder if it's on the Japanese store yet. Gonna play this like all day tomorrow!

dcx4610

From their Twitter. 6.99 on PSN and Steam.

Top Bottom