• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Dragon Neon 80% off on Steam - buy it

I bought this game today, before I even saw this thread. The art style looks nice and I saw some sexy female enemies in there too somewhere :D
I used to love playing Double Dragon I and II (or was it III?) on the Gameboy years ago. They were great games.

This is a game that seems kind of... not good, for the first level or so.

Then City Streets 2 kicks in and you're feeling it.

Then you learn to Gleam.

Then you level up and git gud.

Buy this game and try. Try to like it. Don't just dismiss it based on the first level. You need to play it differently than most brawlers, learn the systems. It's a great game.

This is a game that seems kind of... not good, for the first level or so.

Then City Streets 2 kicks in and you're feeling it.

Then you learn to Gleam.

Then you level up and git gud.

Buy this game and try. Try to like it. Don't just dismiss it based on the first level. You need to play it differently than most brawlers, learn the systems. It's a great game.

Absolutely this. It really does have a learning curve, and you HAVE to get good at Gleam. But I eventually fell in love with it.

It's just a shame they didn't add those female Player Characters they show in the included production sketches.

A bit of a letdown, personally. Doesn't touch the greatness of Nes Double Dragon II or the Snes one. But the soundtrack is great.

codhand

this game is great. unfortunately the online coop is buggy and glitchy as fuck. but the level of challenge is really well crafted here, definitely play coop even though it may crash here and there

nubbe

dEOJRXu.png

I love Double Dragon. Double Dragon Advance is one of my favorite games. The main thing that's preventing me from buying this is the whole Neon makeover. The art, character models and animation look kinda shit to me. Double Dragon to me always felt like The Warriors X Trouble in Little China with a hint of Fist of the Northstar. Not sure why they had to take this route instead of making it look more faithful to the original game art and covers.
Plus the gameplay looks a bit sluggish.

Korigama

Love this game and its over-the-top '80s presentation (picked up the PS3 version way back when it was $.99 during a flash sale). The most fun I've had with the series since Double Dragon II on the NES.

Forkball

Ctrl F Mango Tango

Yes...

This game is also pretty difficult. Maybe I just haven't played a game like it in a long time though.

At that price the game is definitely worth a buy. The soundtrack is pretty killer, and yes, Mango Tango is fucking AWESOME. Definitely had to search for that song right after I finished the level it was featured in.

jeemer

A game reeking of toxic masculinity and the objective is literally save a scantily clad damsel in distress? No thanks

I too am going to purchase this based on your post. By my count that's 10 copies total sold thanks to you, congrats!

My friends had mixed feelings on how this turned out but I get the impression more because it deviates from what the original Double Dragon games were rather than anything to do with its quality. Plus it's two bucks so whateves, I'm in.

A game reeking of toxic masculinity and the objective is literally save a scantily clad damsel in distress? No thanks
was there an online controversy over this at the time it came out or something

I have to say, quoting the "toxic masculinity" poster (which is obviously bait, just look at the wording) to state that their review "sold" you on it is a little bit silly!

My wife commented on the dominatrix enemies when I was playing this, not in any real negative way but as a kind of "for goodness' sake" humorous remark. It's just in keeping with the the original games, it's very tongue in cheek stuff. WayForward have a thing for putting bouncy titty ladies in their games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Considered it, but just assumed it was an awkward looking 3D update.

If you guys say it's good, I'll grab it later.

NEO0MJ

I too am going to purchase this based on your post. By my count that's 10 copies total sold thanks to you, congrats!

I thin this was the posters plan all along. Praising a game is fine, but making a fuss about it because it offends you is better.

I'm wondering if you play many video games? Your statement, "A game..." implies that there are not many games where you are a dude who must defeat other dudes to accomplish some goal for the betterment of someones life.

I award you 2/10 troll points.

I don't know what people see in Super Double Dragon.

That game is brutally unfun IMO.

Double Dragon Advance on the other hand, now that's a great entry.
DD: Neon is good too, just different.

Korigama

I don't know what people see in Super Double Dragon.

That game is brutally unfun IMO.
Personally, I don't care much for Super Double Dragon either. Some might consider Neon too ostentatious for their liking, but I consider the style and scenarios of Super entirely too understated not only by DD standards, but for beat'em-ups in general.

night13x

Everyone Mango Tango all Night!

My biggest piece of advice is to learn roll dodge / crit and get awesome at it. Once you do, the unfair difficulty of double dragon (aka very hard) becomes a freakin blast.

Also learning the absorb tape + spin kick tape lvled to 50 = you are doing it right.

Regiruler

Everyone Mango Tango all Night!

My biggest piece of advice is to learn roll dodge / crit and get awesome at it. Once you do, the unfair difficulty of double dragon (aka very hard) becomes a freakin blast.

Also learning the absorb tape + spin kick tape lvled to 50 = you are doing it right.
Don't cheese it like that. Just makes the game horribly unfun.

Top Bottom