• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter project by Double Fine [ended, $3.3 Million funded]

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Confirmed: The Double Fine Adventure will be DRM free on PC, Mac, and Linux! Also available on iOS and Android!

Double Fine Adventure! // Update #5 - The Final Countdown (link to Ustream)

Double Fine Adventure! // Update #2 - Reward tiers updated

Double Fine Adventure! // Update #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TFKwplDBmgg

- Voice acting in English
- EFIGS supported
Subtitles in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish
- Closed Beta for backers only via Steam
- DRM free version option to backers on release

--------------------------------------------

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

Welcome to the Adventure

The world of video game design is a mysterious one. What really happens behind the closed doors of a development studio is often unknown, unappreciated, or misunderstood. And the bigger the studio, the more tightly shut its door tends to be. With this project, we're taking that door off its hinges and inviting you into the world of Double Fine Productions, the first major studio to fully finance their next game with a Kickstarter campaign and develop it in the public eye.

Founded in 2000 by industry veteran Tim Schafer (Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango), the San Francisco-based company has established itself as a unique creative force with critically-acclaimed titles such as Pyschonauts, Brutal Legend, Costume Quest, Stacking, Iron Brigade, Once Upon a Monster, and Double Fine Happy Action Theater. This year, you'll be given a front-row seat as they revisit Tim's design roots and create a brand-new, downloadable "Point-and-Click" graphic adventure game for the modern age.

Why Kickstarter?

Big games cost big money. Even something as "simple" as an Xbox LIVE Arcade title can cost upwards of two or three million dollars. For disc-based games, it can be over ten times that amount. To finance the production, promotion, and distribution of these massive undertakings, companies like Double Fine have to rely on external sources like publishers, investment firms, or loans. And while they fulfill an important role in the process, their involvement also comes with significant strings attached that can pull the game in the wrong directions or even cancel its production altogether. Thankfully, viable alternatives have emerged and gained momentum in recent years.

Crowd-sourced fundraising sites like Kickstarter have been an incredible boon to the independent development community. They democratize the process by allowing consumers to support the games they want to see developed and give the developers the freedom to experiment, take risks, and design without anyone else compromising their vision. It's the kind of creative luxury that most major, established studios simply can't afford. At least, not until now.

Keeping the scale of the project this small accomplishes two things. First and foremost, Double Fine gets to make the game they want to make, promote it in whatever manner they deem appropriate, and release the finished product on their own terms. Secondly, since they’re only accountable to themselves, there’s an unprecedented opportunity to show the public what game development of this caliber looks like from the inside. Not the sanitized commercials-posing-as-interviews that marketing teams only value for their ability to boost sales, but an honest, in-depth insight into a modern art form that will both entertain and educate gamers and non-gamers alike.

About the Project
Over a six-to-eight month period, a small team under Tim Schafer's supervision will develop Double Fine's next game, a classic point-and-click adventure utilizing modern touch technology. Where it goes from there will unfold in real time for all the backers to see.

2 Player Productions will be documenting the creative process and releasing monthly video updates exclusively to the Kickstarter backers. This documentary series will strive to make the viewer as much a part of the process as possible by showing a game grow from start to finish, with all the passion, humor, and heartbreak that happens along the way. Double Fine is committed to total transparency with this project, ensuring it is one of the most honest depictions of game development ever conceived.

There will be a private online community set up for the backers to discuss the project with the devs and submit their thoughts and feelings about the game's content and direction, sometimes even voting on decisions when the dev team can't decide. Backers will also have access to help test the game once a beta is available. Once the game is finished, backers will receive the completed version in the available format of their choice.

For fans of adventure games, this is a chance to prove that there is still a large demand out there for a unique medium that inspired so many of us.

Rewards
This whole experience is being offered for the flat backer contribution of $15. We believe that beyond the reward of receiving the finished game, the ability to be a participant in the project makes this a unique opportunity.

For anyone who wants to contribute above and beyond the call, we have a selection of premium rewards ranging from a download of the full documentary series in splendid 1080p HD video with bonus footage, to unique posters, original concept art, and even a mini painting of yourself done by the game's artist!

For those of you who want to be really special, check out www.doublefine.com for details on super premium high level rewards!

Closing
For anyone interested in the inner workings of the game industry, either professionally or as a fan, this project will be a landmark in exploring the art of development. For people that just love great games, this is an opportunity to help bring one to fruition.

FAQ

Q: What happens if you go over the goal?

A: The extra money will be put back into the game and documentary. This could result in anything from increased VO and music budgets to additional release platforms for the game.

Q: When can I expect the game to be finished?

A: We’re aiming to finish in October of 2012, but making games is hard and we’ll give the project as much time as needed to ensure the it meets our standards.

Q: How will I get the game?

A: Steam codes will be delivered to all backers.

Q: How do I get access to the beta?

A: On Steam. Isn’t Steam the best?!

Q: Where can I watch the series?

A: The series will be released through Kickstater project updates. Kickstarter updates appear here on the project page and are also mailed out to the email you used when joining Kickstarter. Make sure you use a reliable email address and check your spam settings so you don't miss any updates!

Q: When will you ship the posters?

A: This will happen a few months after the project starts.

Q: Where do I join the discussion community?

A: The discussion community is in the process of being set up and will be available shortly after the project is successfully funded. Everyone will be informed via the Kickstarter project page and email when the community is ready.

Q: Will there be a Mac, or iOS version?

A: We would love to do both of those things! They are at the top of the list for things to do if we raise more funds than we are asking for.

------------------
(reward tier recent updates are italicized)

Pledge $15 or more
The finished game in all of its awesome glory DRM free on PC, Mac, and Linux, or via Steam for PC and Mac, exclusive access to the Beta on Steam, access to the video series, and access the private discussion community.
Estimated Delivery: Oct 2012

Pledge $30 or more
HD download of the documentary series with extras, Digital game soundtrack, Digital documentary soundtrack, and all previous reward tiers.

Pledge $60 or more
PDF version of the Double Fine Adventure Book (filled with 100+ full color pages of concept art, original photos, developer bios, excerpts from the game’s script, deep dark secrets, and more!), and all previous reward tiers!

Estimated Delivery: May 2013

Pledge $100 or more
Special edition box containing both the game disc and a DVD or Blu-Ray of the documentary. Original "Double Fine Adventure" poster (suitable for framing) exclusive to the campaign, special thanks in the game’s credits, and all previous reward tiers. (These items will be shipped for free in the US. Please add an additional $10 to your pledge for international shipping)
Estimated Delivery: Aug 2012

Pledge $250 or more
"Double Fine Adventure" Poster autographed by Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert, and the rest of the design team, and all previous reward tiers. (Note: if you would like to receive an art book and keep your signed poster reward, you may change your pledge to $500, but keep your $250 reward selection)
Estimated Delivery: Aug 2012

Pledge $500 or more
Hardcover Double Fine Adventure Book (filled with 100+ full color pages of concept art, original photos, developer bios, excerpts from the game’s script, deep dark secrets, and more!), and all previous reward tiers with the exception of the signed poster.

Estimated Delivery: May 2013

Pledge $1,000 or more
Mini portrait of YOU, painted by the game's artist, and all previous reward tiers.
Estimated Delivery: Sep 2012

Pledge $5,000 or more
Larger original painting of art used in the final game, and all previous reward tiers.

Pledge $10,000 or more
Lunch with Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert, a tour of the Double Fine offices, and all previous reward tiers. THERE ARE MORE REWARDS but we can't post them here because they're too big! For premium rewards past a $10,000 pledge, see www.doublefine.com
Estimated Delivery: Jul 2012

You see, some pledges are so premium, they break the Kickstarter system. They’re just that good. So we have to post them here. These are the Premium Rewards. The Glengary Rewards. These Rewards are for Closers.

If you want to make a premium pledge, just mail kickstarter at doublefine.com. I put the at in there to totally fool the spam bots. I hope it didn’t fool you.

Anyway:

Pledge $15,000 or more:
Dinner with Tim Schafer and key members of the dev team.

Pledge $20,000 or more:
Dinner and BOWLING with Tim Schafer and key members of the dev team.

Pledge $30,000 or more:
Picture of Ron Gilbert smiling.

Pledge $35,000 or more:
Undoctored picture of Ron Gilbert smiling.

Pledge $50,000 or more:
Become an actual character in the game.

Pledge $150,000 or more:
Tim Schafer (that’s me) will give last four remaining Triangle Boxed Day of the Tentacles, in original shrink-wrap.” (Limit of 1) (Holy crap, what am I thinking? I only have four of those!)

That’s all there is to it! Think it will work? I hope so, because I would rather work directly for the fans than for anyone else. If the Double Fine Kickstarter Adventure is a success, it could open the doors for all sorts of new funding possibilities, and all kinds of new games that could never happen in the old system. So basically I’m just talking about changing the entire world forever for the better. And getting a game out of it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Good luck, hope it'll be a success for them.

Would support them if they were making Psychonauts 2 or Psychonauts HD.

Maddog

ATmdp.jpg

You had me at Double Fine.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm slightly confused by:

"...using modern touch technology..."

in conjunction with

"Q: How will I get the game? A: Steam codes will be delivered to all backers."

The first comment seems to imply the game is being made for touch interfaces, but unless I'm mad, the posting seems to state the game is only guaranteed for Windows computers via Steam.

eznark

Banned

in conjunction with

The first comment seems to imply the game is being made for touch interfaces, but unless I'm mad, the posting seems to state the game is only guaranteed for Windows computers via Steam.

I'm touching my mouse and keyboard right now.

I'd rather they take the Minecraft approach. Minecraft had something really solid to the game when it was picking up steam.

Project Zomboid was just a test build that you could pay to access. I will not be burned again!

inky

You are missing these OP:

You see, some pledges are so premium, they break the Kickstarter system. They’re just that good. So we have to post them here. These are the Premium Rewards. The Glengary Rewards. These Rewards are for Closers.

If you want to make a premium pledge, just mail kickstarter at doublefine.com. I put the at in there to totally fool the spam bots. I hope it didn’t fool you.

Anyway:

Pledge $15,000 or more:
Dinner with Tim Schafer and key members of the dev team.

Pledge $20,000 or more:
Dinner and BOWLING with Tim Schafer and key members of the dev team.

Pledge $30,000 or more:
Picture of Ron Gilbert smiling.

Pledge $35,000 or more:
Undoctored picture of Ron Gilbert smiling.

Pledge $50,000 or more:
Become an actual character in the game.

Pledge $150,000 or more:
Tim Schafer (that’s me) will give last four remaining Triangle Boxed Day of the Tentacles, in original shrink-wrap.” (Limit of 1) (Holy crap, what am I thinking? I only have four of those!)

That’s all there is to it! Think it will work? I hope so, because I would rather work directly for the fans than for anyone else. If the Double Fine Kickstarter Adventure is a success, it could open the doors for all sorts of new funding possibilities, and all kinds of new games that could never happen in the old system. So basically I’m just talking about changing the entire world forever for the better. And getting a game out of it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Refreshing the page and watching the number go up is fun.

Mistle

Wow, I was just thinking about Tim Schafer and how I'd love another classic adventure game from him/his team. Awesome.

ShutEye

Can Doublefine start a second campaign to buy the Grim Fandango rights from Lucas?
I'll buy into that for at least as much.

wrowa

in conjunction with

It's a point and click adventure. They are probably aiming for a PC/iOS/Android release.

Oh God yes I will so donate to this. That recent adventure gaming thread reminded me there are SO many classic point and clicks I've yet to play.

But a Double Fine point and click with Tim at the helm? I could die a happy man. Be still my beating heart.

in conjunction with

Windows 8 is being made for touch interfaces in mind.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The video is also hilarious if people missed it.

V_Ben

Banned
The video is also hilarious if people missed it.

Oh my god yes. I love Schafer's humour so much. Even the descriptions on the web site are incredible.

Edit: Holy shit, they're already at $12,000. This is gonna work :D

Radogol

in conjunction with

It's going to be a classic adventure with a modern touch, thanks to the use of newfangled technology. That's how I read it. The iOS version indeed seems to be not guaranteed, going by the FAQ.

Top Bottom