• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine: Broken Age (KS) released in two parts via Steam Early Access Jan/May '14

Considering the original goal on KS, I wonder what would have happened had they just reached that amount?

I don't think this game will ever meet anyone's expectations if it ever does come out.

have they even announced platform(s) yet for this thing?

part of the reason i seldom pitch in for kickstarters is that they can be extremely vague about what they are going to do. i'd be pissed if i pledged to a game not specifying a platform, only for it to achieve it's goal and then say "surprise! iOS only!". fuck that.

that said, i hope they make this first half of the game as meaty as possible for those backers.

What the fuck would have happened if they barely broke 400k?

They initially planned to have a smaller game with only a small segment of double fine working on it. It blew up and it become a core game which half of double fine needed to work on.

Overly ambitious due to the money I suppose.

That's what happens when the guy writing the checks is designing the game. You won't have a producer that can manage the schedule/budget. What's he gonna do? Tell Tim no?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Considering the original goal on KS, I wonder what would have happened had they just reached that amount?

I don't think this game will ever meet anyone's expectations if it ever does come out.

There is the side effect that they also may have targeted a bigger game since they had more funds.

Kickstarter can work; I'm quite happy with the way Leisure Suit Larry turned out.

Thorakai

Lets just hope the remaining Kickstarter projects don't continue to follow Double Fine's example! Hopefully backers can still get a great, full game by the end of all this.

It's not a disaster, but disappointing, certainly. This is one of Kickstarter's big poster children, and it isn't doing great. Ouya ain't lookin' so hot, either.

Go Oculus Rift!

A++

Hey, don't forget Wasteland 2! Please let that turn out as great as I'm hoping!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm amazed at how people are fine with this. The kickstarter crowd is only getting half a game for the money they pledged. To make matters worse, Double Fine gets to charge money for the unfinished game to people who didn't pledge, and hoping to get enough money to finish the game.

Between this, Braff, and the Pebble watch issue I hope people start to realize that Kickstarter is a terrible service.

Kickstarter isn't a terrible service. You just have to know what you're going into when you pledge. It's not a donation, but there aren't any guarantees, either. The documentary has shown that Double Fine is working hard on the game.

While this bit of business is concerning, I think it's disingenuous to say that backers will only be getting half a game for the money they pledged. That makes it sound like there was a game already when the Kickstarter went up. It didn't exist and the scope of it changed dramatically when the pledges got so high.

I'm fine with this if the end product ends up being something good. I pledged to get a cool adventure game, and this doesn't guarantee that I won't. Unlike those who try to imply that Kickstarter is shady, I actually knew what I was getting into when I pledged my money. I'm still going to wait and see how the project progresses.

SerRodrik

Cutting a game in half? Hilarious. You pledge for a price and expect a full game.

And you'll get a full game. Kickstarter backers are getting the second half for free, as are people who buy in for Early Access. He's not literally splitting it into two games.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
834% funded and they are running out of money.

With Massive Chalice getting less than half of that amount of money you have to wonder about that project.

Randdalf

I'm amazed at how people are fine with this. The kickstarter crowd is only getting half a game for the money they pledged. To make matters worse, Double Fine gets to charge money for the unfinished game to people who didn't pledge, and hoping to get enough money to finish the game.

Between this, Braff, and the Pebble watch issue I hope people start to realize that Kickstarter is a terrible service.

No they're not, they're getting half the game earlier, and according to Chris Remo in the other thread, it's more like 2/3 instead of one half.

Frodo

Would be kinda of bummed if I had backed this, I guess...

Still... as long as they manage to finish the game and the 2nd part is indeed free... Sounds like an acceptable solution.

J-Rod

I'm worried they still won't be able to get the additional funding they need. Are there enough people out there wanting to prepay on steam to generate another kicksarter level amount of funds?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn... some of you people are being purposefully ignorant just to express some outrage or something. Really annoying to read.

834% funded and they are running out of money.

With Massive Chalice getting less than half of that amount of money you have to wonder about that project.

The game they had in mind at $400k was a very different game than what they began planning after the Kickstarter ended with well over $3 million. Is it that hard to understand?

Massive Chalice may end up in a similar situation, but I'm sure they'll begin their design based on the amount they received.

Kifimbo

I would be OK with this if they asked for $2.5 million, got $3 million and eventually realized they needed more. It happens. But since they initially asked about 400K, it's clear the project got way bigger when they got $3 million. They lost control. Even their Humble Bundle wasn't enough.

Nokterian

And you'll get a full game. Kickstarter backers are getting the second half for free, as are people who buy in for Early Access. He's not literally splitting it into two games.

Still not promising what was said when you pledged it. No but making a episode 1 and 2 is just what i said hilarious.

SparkTR

part of the reason i seldom pitch in for kickstarters is that they can be extremely vague about what they are going to do. i'd be pissed if i pledged to a game not specifying a platform, only for it to achieve it's goal and then say "surprise! iOS only!". fuck that.

that said, i hope they make this first half of the game as meaty as possible for those backers.

The game is going on Steam Early Access.

Cutting a game in half? Hilarious. You pledge for a price and expect a full game.

They are getting a full game, just in two chunks. Like TellTale's episodic model (The Walking Dead).

p2535748

I backed this, and while it's certainly disappointing to see the delay, I don't see how you can call this a scam.

As a backer, I traded money for a couple of promises:
  • The documentary
  • Beta access to the game
  • The game

I'm still getting all of these things. The fact that they're selling it on early access doesn't affect me at all.

I think a lot of people are reading this as the backers only get half a game. That's not true. Backers get the whole game.

Sera O

Banned
Why are people under the impression that they are only delivering half a game? It's more like rather than make everyone wait a year or whatever, they are doing it in two installments. People can play it earlier if they want, and they can also generate some revenue. People who pay for the game will get it all, the biggest thing is it's taking longer. Obviously not great, but it's not some insane bait and switch job like some people are making it out to be.

DirtRiver

I wish Double Fine would move out of San Francisco, the price of having offices and staff there must be ludicrous.

Also, people saying Tim doesn't know how to or care to keep a budget are way overreacting. Double Fine wasn't expecting the project to turn into a full blown game and as the vision of what the game will be evolved, so did the financial requirements. It's hard to make a game, and near impossible to predict how development will go.

Randdalf

I take it the majority of the people in this thread aren't a fan of adventure games. Too much reading.

There's also the fact they don't get to watch the documentary episodes which go over this in much more detail (such as the fact they've already made around $2m from selling their other games which contributes to the game's budget).

Why are people under the impression that they are only delivering half a game? It's more like rather than make everyone wait a year or whatever, they are doing it in two installments. People can play it earlier if they want, and they can also generate some revenue. People who pay for the game will get it all, the biggest thing is it's taking longer. Obviously not great, but it's not some insane bait and switch job like some people are making it out to be.

People are reading the thread title, "cut the game in half" rather than "cutting the game in two"

You're soooo witty!

Yeah well...you fight like a dairy farmer!

Having read all that, there's no way in hell they're releasing the second part by April-May 2014. It doesn't make any sense.

The original timeline had them finishing the first part by July 2014, but after some cuts they can finish that half by January. I don't see how they can finish the other half by May, but good luck to them.

Dawg

Remember when people called Activision shit when they talked about Schafer not doing his work on time etc?

Activision was right.

Nokterian

The game is going on Steam Early Access.

They are getting a full game, just in two chunks. Like TellTale's episodic model (The Walking Dead).

The Walking Dead was made that way as intended like all Telltale games are. This is not telltale we are talking about. Sure you get the full game as a update but it is still not promised what you have pledged for.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm confused. So it's now two acts and the first half of the first act is going up on Steam Early Access in January?

8byte

Banned
What a joke.

More proof that mismanagement and poor planning are bigger enemies to the industry than used sales or piracy. Fucking pathetic.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
What's everyone having a problem with again? Every backer is still going to get the full game, they are just polishing up the first half so they can sell the full package on steam. From what I'm reading, everyone who buys the first half gets the second half for free in an update later. Basically, we get to play the game early and they get money from the sales of the game to make the second half.

So how is this shady again?
His note testifies of poor planning and being overly ambitious, which isn't so fine if you are on a limited budget. It means he can't control a significant part in game development and he should either work on that or at least hire someone who can control him on that (and if that's the case already, that person should be fired). Most serious companies have someone that manages the money anyway

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The Walking Dead was made that way as intended like all Telltale games are. This is not telltale we are talking about. Sure you get the full game as a update but it is still not promised what you have pledged for.

Did they say they won't be delivering the rest of the game? Backers can very well ignore the early access business and just wait for the final product to be completed. The deal has not been changed at all for backers.

Ceebs

I am looking at it like the Telltale games. You pay for all of them, but you do not get the full thing right away.

I am still happy I backed this project, I will get both parts for my money and get to play something sooner. Also the game is even bigger than expected. Other than the wait between parts I am not seeing a downside.

PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android as of now.

Early access for a story driven adventure game doesn't sound very enticing . Look at Steam Early Access games like Kerbal Space Program and Prison Architect for example. Sandbox building games with little to no story.It will be like Bioshock Infinite or The Last Of Us giving you a beta that includes half of the game. Why pay to play, what is extensively a beta of a type of game that doesn't benefit from said practice and might even take away from the final product's enjoyment. I will most likely purchased Broken Age, but Early Access is not the way to experience this type of product.

xptoxyz

I backed this, and while it's certainly disappointing to see the delay, I don't see how you can call this a scam.

As a backer, I traded money for a couple of promises:
  • The documentary
  • Beta access to the game
  • The game

I'm still getting all of these things. The fact that they're selling it on early access doesn't affect me at all.

I think a lot of people are reading this as the backers only get half a game. That's not true. Backers get the whole game.

The way the title is worded and lack of explanation in the OP other than the post from Schafer makes for easy errors on part of some posters, we all now a lot of people read nothing else than the title.

Top Bottom