• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doug Lombardi did not leave Valve. Stop hyperventilating and go read a book.

clip

Lombardi is a name I associate with Valve since I begun playing their games, this is really unexpected

He's traditionally been the public face of the company when discussing their games, back when Valve took a more traditional approach to marketing and PR.

SteveWD40

Might not be all that dramatic, maybe he got bored?

I don't see Valve getting bought (they don't need the capital and are privately owned) but maybe they are looking into a merger with a strategic partner (hardware prehaps?) that meant the staff leaving were obsolete and didn't fancy another role.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
These records are updated frequently but I do not know if Doug Lombardi has ever been on the following. Regardless, these are the current head honchos at Valve:

valvehzfch.png

Source: http://www.sos.wa.gov/corps/search_detail.aspx?ubi=602290773

Yeah, this current situation is worrying. While Valve isn't obligated in any way to respond to this, it would be nice to know what has triggered these resignations and whatnot. If we aren't going to know more about this in the coming days perhaps they'll share more information come GDC in March.

uhhhhhhh. WTF is going on with Valve. They haven't released a monumental game since Half-Life 2... my fear is they are now totally focused on Steam, and don't give two shits about the Half-Life community.

Moertel

He's traditionally been the public face of the company when discussing their games, back when Valve took a more traditional approach to marketing and PR.

Also known as back when they actually had marketing and PR.

If Lombardi's gone, I'm pretty sure Valve is exiting the development of new games. I mean, CS GO was already outsourced in large parts and almost all of their games are based on fan made mods anyway (except Half-Life, obviously).

They have Dota, they have Team Fortress and maybe that's enough for them. Pretty sure those games are way more profitable than i.e. Portal 2.

Hanmik

lots of mirosoft titles appear on steam database.. valve people leaving (fired.?).. does this mean a marriage between Valve and Microsoft..?

Are people actually freaking out over Lombardi? If his job has no influence over game development, and his departure just signals a shift in relationships between himself and others at Valve, shouldn't we just leave it at that?

What's with the over reaction??

Well this is interesting. I never met him in person but he seemed like a good dude. When HL2 came out my younger brother sent Doug an Email saying that he thought HL2 was great and it rocked. Doug actually wrote back to him and made my brothers day. I always admired Valve for being that customer friendly.

jaxpunk

Are people actually freaking out over Lombardi? If his job has no influence over game development, and his departure just signals a shift in relationships between himself and others at Valve, shouldn't we just leave it at that?

Have you seen the majority of the threads lately? EVERYTHING is a over reaction!

Sloane

Banned

He's been there almost since the beginning and he's been the public face of the company next to Gaben?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Make no mistake, the overreactions are about Half-Life, Steambox and Valve going under as a company. NOT at how significant Lombardi's possible departure is.

He has been a major figure at Valve and was right there with Gabe since the beginning of Steam when Viviendi was still trying to pull the strings. I highly doubt he was fired, he likely left of his own volition.

His departure along with all the others marks a significant shift in the personality, talent and driving force at Valve.

I've said it before and I'll continue to say it until April 26; Valve is working with Microsoft on Durango. They will be the main digital distributor for games on 720. Of course it's pure speculation based solely on my own intuition, but Valve is definitely shifting directions.

I don't want to be alarmist and I don't want to overreact but when you have so much invested in a companies service, it's hard not to get a little worried when you hear about major shake ups like we've heard about recently at Valve without an obvious cause to point to.

StuBurns

Banned

It's true that his departure is more like the White House press secretary leaving, which no one would care about, but it's following a bunch of other departures.

WinFonda

Can't help but feel company morale is insanely low. They don't have the same drive for developing games anymore. Just about everything they work on is in development hell / limbo. Maybe they have set a standard that is too high for themselves internally. Valve/Steam needs less worship as a digital platform and more tough love criticism as a games developer.

mattp

dont worry guys, everyone is leaving to start a 2nd dev studio so valve can just be a services company and focus on steam

Top Bottom