• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dove partners with Unreal Engine and others to launch 'Real Virtual Beauty', to reflect real-world diversity in video games.

Raonak

Banned
At the very least this ad campaign is working, in that it's causing discussion about a dove product in a video game forum lol.

I always wonder if these companies do this on purpose because they know getting people outraged is just free advertising.

levyjl1988

Banned
No, I wouldn't want to buy video games with ugly characters in them. Video games are an escape for a reason like movies.
It reminded me of this one scene where there are women too attractive for the jobs they work in.

Tams

Legit don't get the snarky pushback in here: this initiative takes ZERO development efforts away from publishers, offers - for any developer or creative interested - a course on potential blind spots they might have surrounding issues of diversity in game design which can only make someone a STRONGER developer, all accompanied by a visual campaign to give more visibility to gamers (or actors, no idea who these people are) who don't meet the traditional image of "lady gamer" and what is the response:

. . .yeah. Totally no need for this initiative at all.

Because it's promoting being fat as good.

And let's be honest, the chat majority of people don't want to look at ugly people, nor see being disabled as a good thing (don't @ me for that, I'm not railing against disabled people).

Hell, you there are probably more not not so attractive, and disabled people who use games to be something they aren't than those who want accurate depictions.

TheGrat1

Dal1rOg.jpg
My god, the absolute fucking savagery...
j43FEw.gif

UnNamed

Banned
Meanwhile, male videogame characters are all bald, muscular and angry.

Even male characters lack of diversity, but nobody cares.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Because it's promoting being fat as good.

No it isn't. It is promoting people being comfortable in their skin by allowing them to express who they are in virtual form. There are fat people. There are always going to be fat people. You can encourage them to be healthier AND let them feel represented in gaming if they choose to say "Fuck that, give me all the cookies."

And let's be honest, the chat majority of people don't want to look at ugly people, nor see being disabled as a good thing (don't @ me for that, I'm not railing against disabled people).

Oh give me a break. If this is the lens you view good game design through then 100% this kind of saccharine campaign is needed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
At the very least this ad campaign is working, in that it's causing discussion about a dove product in a video game forum lol.
None of us are running out to buy their products, however.

The whole point behind marketing, well, it's supposed to be anyways. Not preached to with false virtue.

Tams

No it isn't. It is promoting people being comfortable in their skin by allowing them to express who they are in virtual form. There are fat people. There are always going to be fat people. You can encourage them to be healthier AND let them feel represented in gaming if they choose to say "Fuck that, give me all the cookies."

Oh give me a break. If this is the lens you view good game design through then 100% this kind of saccharine campaign is needed.
lol, it's a marketing campaign, social warrior.

Frankly this is a massive and misdirected overcorrection. It's true that very ugly, very disabled, and various other minorities have been ignored and invisible for so long, but even grouping them into one sweeping category of "diversity" is insulting and patronizing. Why should black people be grouped in with disabled people? What do disabled people have to do with obese people? What do obese people have to do with mentally challenged? And so on. Diversity is so much more than meets the eye. Look around you. That people at work. At school. Do you know their life story? Do you think you know everything about them, just because they look average and well adjusted? This "special people first" thinking is the kind of harmful perspective that leads to people getting ostracized in the first place. Boxing people into reductive checkboxes. If these companies truly want the extreme minorities to have equal footing with everyone else, they should be celebrated alongside of them, not apart from them, exclusively because of their problems, differences, or shortcomings. Honestly, people shouldn't even be categorized like this. Abbreviated into marketing statistics. People are worth celebrating individually, when they' achieved something, not because they're part of some arbitrary group they did nothing to be a part of (or choose to be born into). Everyone who's lived a full life has a story, should be celebrated because of their achievements, not just because they have some debilitating problem.

It's understandable that companies do this for attention, but it's sad that so many have bought into it. Don't be anything less than who you are in totality. Don't let the thing that others use to define you become the only thing by which you define yourself. Gay, black, disabled, female... if you're any of those things I'm sure that has shaped your life in a big way vs the thing you're not... but it doesn't have to be all you are. You could, in fact, be any of all of those things and share a lot of the same interests as anyone else who isn't. Or have interesting stories that don't revolve around any of that. Freedom has become a diminished value because we have forgotten that people could in fact be, not defined by severely limiting traits that they don't even have control over.

GymWolf

But for some reason it makes everyone want t buy their games.

Todd Howard knows how to hypnotize games through the TV lol. Explains Fallout 76's turnaround.
The only good aspect is the fact that you if you leave a fork in a place, it's gonna be there after 20 hours.

Neat feature but it is not worth the shitty engine performance\look for me.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Frankly this is a massive and misdirected overcorrection. It's true that very ugly, very disabled, and various other minorities have been ignored and invisible for so long, but even grouping them into one sweeping category of "diversity" is insulting and patronizing. Why should black people be grouped in with disabled people? What do disabled people have to do with obese people? What do obese people have to do with mentally challenged?

Where are you getting ANY of this? This is such a spectacularly dishonest read of this campaign. In case you were actually interested, here is the actual description of the campaign. What about any of that reads like what you've quoted?

lol, it's a marketing campaign, social warrior.

Oh heavens, it is?!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
But they're all white... Well there's a latina woman... But they have balls to show diversity these days without a black woman. And I hope for them there are trans and lesbians among them.

The one with the locs is an albino African American.

Top Bottom