• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DQ's Hori, "once the smartphone boom settles, home consoles will be the focus again"

fader

This just reads like a guy wishing for things to go back to the way they were. That never happens. People move on, things live and die.

Tripon

DQ11 on PS4 exclusive would seem like such a risk. Square Enix been trying to get the 3ds audience ready for years with the port/remake of DQ7 and remakes of Dragon Quest Monsters 1/2. Among other DQ related games. I can't see a new numbered DQ game being on PS4 with just Dragon Quest Heroes being its own lead in.

VR will save the day.
Summer lesson will only be the beginning.
Also: there is always a place for a VR helmet even in the smallest japanese appartment.

Kandinsky

Now you know why Nintendo refuses to bring Dragon Quest over anymore (SE wont). Sony has the franchise on their pocket and I'm happy about it, now just let me enjoy some of them classics on my Vita plzthx.

Pachinko

That number isn't too far I think, 500K out of maybe 15 - 20 million gamers in japan ?

When there was closer to 30 million gamers over there that number was probably still only 2-3 million. Thing is though, marketing to 2-3 million people is still going to give you more sales then just the 500K will. At any given time I think it's safe to say maybe 10% of that audience will buy just about any game. So that would seem to gel with the 40-50K units sold of most games on something like the PSvita.

Anyway, the whole cellphone thing isn't going anywhere, it seems like Hori is talking more specifically about perhaps the cellphone users that play games wanting a bigger gaming experience and hopefully that translates into buying game consoles again. Then it might be worth supporting them with software more regularly.

Reading between the lines there, it wouldn't be altogether too surprising to have Dragon Quest 11 be a cellphone game that possibly also comes out on 3DS. Or vice versa.

If a phone had a video-out or stream to TV feature and a joypad input (bluetooth?), wouldn't that be a console killer?

They're getting more and more powerful every year, who really wants to buy several separate expensive devices that have inbuilt obsolescence if you could just buy one?

If a phone had a video-out or stream to TV feature and a joypad input (bluetooth?), wouldn't that be a console killer?

They're getting more and more powerful every year, who really wants to buy several separate expensive devices that have inbuilt obsolescence if you could just buy one?

I'd ask why you'd want a phone in that picture. Seems a solution in search of a problem. With the TV as a dumb client, the stream could come from any source.

Halabane

This is not about gaming. Its about your working life. Most of you won't retire till you are close to 70. Your work hours are increasing, not decreasing, because there will be fewer working age people in the coming decades.

Best opportunity to play games will be during breaks, while commuting or waiting for some appointment. Most of you will have a very mobile work career. What is happening in Japan is happening everywhere. Once the tether is broken you expect people to go back to going home and sitting in front of console? Soon that will seem archaic. Much like walkmans, type writers, BW tv and dials on phones. How many don't even have a wired house phone but only use a cell phone? Really mobile is a fad? Movie theaters thought TVs where a fad too. And TV thought the internet and video streaming was fad.

For some games sure, COD for example, big screen is the best way to play but games like DQ? Easily played on a handheld. Frankly its a better experience. 100+ hours in front of TV grinding stuff? No. DQ10 on 3ds in japan is huge. They had to stop selling it cause they could not support the system load. I wish the latency wasn't so bad where I live that I could play it.

FPS and the like will probably live more on PC than consoles. Consoles in the living room will match Microsoft and Comcast vision of media. There will be a gaming part of it. But it will be more social in nature and probably casual. There are just way more people who want that in long the run. Easier to get money from them too. Bundle it with your cable bill. The numbers just aren't there for a return to kids playing in front of the tv for hours. There are fewer kids and more older adults. Older adults don't want intense large commitment games on their TV every night. Short burst of things to do with the family is going to be their entertainment. Imagine on-line live jeopardy and wheel of fortune.

Someone brought up VR. It will have its niche and it goes with playing at a desk with your PC. Do I see a phone that could support a VR device that lets you play COD VR?...yup...it already exists in beta from from Samsung and others. However, seriously sad if it ends up a family sitting in a room together all with VR headsets. Its about as non-social a device as there can be. But for those who are truly trying to escape from their existence in this world it will be a godsend I guess. Watching those lost in their cell phones with their heads down today...even while on a date...it does make sense. Thinking if that continues there will be even less kids in the future. :)

Enjoy the good times now console lovers. The end is in sight. Part of that is because MS screwed up...the company with money that could have supported a future of consoles build the device fewer of you want to buy while the company slowing executing a going out of business plan built the one you are buying.

KiTA

Lol @ GTA being the " Next popular thing".

I don't know, we have Shadow of Mordor (among others) over here out recently, and just got Fantasy Life, both being somewhat open worldish -- which I think might have been what he was talking about.

Or, to think about it another way, since Level 5 is the team that did the programming for DQIX and presumably will be doing the programming for DQXI... Well, consider Level 5's Fantasy Life, only with DQIX's combat engine and a bigger world / more dungeons...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dedicated handhelds are far more likely to die first (vs. home consoles). But I would think everything would just end up on smartphones.

Mr Swine

Banned
So when are the 3-4 million DQ userbase going t move to the PS4? Seems like a big risk abandoning the 3DS and going PS4 exclusive

FluxWaveZ

Enjoy the good times now console lovers. The end is in sight. Part of that is because MS screwed up...the company with money that could have supported a future of consoles build the device fewer of you want to buy while the company slowing executing a going out of business plan built the one you are buying.

Sure... whatever you say, dude.

What is this even supposed to mean?

This just reads like a guy wishing for things to go back to the way they were. That never happens. People move on, things live and die.
Creative destruction requires that home consoles die or adapt. Same applies to smartphones though. They too will either die or be replaced by something more relevant down the line.

This is not about gaming. Its about your working life. Most of you won't retire till you are close to 70. Your work hours are increasing, not decreasing, because there will be fewer working age people in the coming decades.

Best opportunity to play games will be during breaks, while commuting or waiting for some appointment. Most of you will have a very mobile work career. What is happening in Japan is happening everywhere. Once the tether is broken you expect people to go back to going home and sitting in front of console? Soon that will seem archaic. Much like walkmans, type writers, BW tv and dials on phones. How many don't even have a wired house phone but only use a cell phone? Really mobile is a fad? Movie theaters thought TVs where a fad too. And TV thought the internet and video streaming was fad.

For some games sure, COD for example, big screen is the best way to play but games like DQ? Easily played on a handheld. Frankly its a better experience. 100+ hours in front of TV grinding stuff? No. DQ10 on 3ds in japan is huge. They had to stop selling it cause they could not support the system load. I wish the latency wasn't so bad where I live that I could play it.

FPS and the like will probably live more on PC than consoles. Consoles in the living room will match Microsoft and Comcast vision of media. There will be a gaming part of it. But it will be more social in nature and probably casual. There are just way more people who want that in long the run. Easier to get money from them too. Bundle it with your cable bill. The numbers just aren't there for a return to kids playing in front of the tv for hours. There are fewer kids and more older adults. Older adults don't want intense large commitment games on their TV every night. Short burst of things to do with the family is going to be their entertainment. Imagine on-line live jeopardy and wheel of fortune.

Someone brought up VR. It will have its niche and it goes with playing at a desk with your PC. Do I see a phone that could support a VR device that lets you play COD VR?...yup...it already exists in beta from from Samsung and others. However, seriously sad if it ends up a family sitting in a room together all with VR headsets. Its about as non-social a device as there can be. But for those who are truly trying to escape from their existence in this world it will be a godsend I guess. Watching those lost in their cell phones with their heads down today...even while on a date...it does make sense. Thinking if that continues there will be even less kids in the future. :)

post-33537-Jim-Carrey-Truman-Show-gif-wha-cIrC.gif

I personally think people misinterpret the whole Mobile gaming division. I don't even view the mobile gaming world as being parallel with the console / handheld gaming division.

Mainly because, the Handheld system is built from the ground up to mimic as best as possible a console gaming experience. The Vita for example, was the best version of that. It had the same button layout, dual analog, touchscreen, etc. It could mimic the console experience perfectly while still providing those quick handheld game experiences.

In the mobile world, I really think it is popular only because everyone has one in their pocket anyway. So when they are at work, or on a train or bus, they just whip out their phone and touch the screen for 10-20 minutes. Its why games like Puzzles and Dragons are so popular. Very fast gameplay and everything is saved to your spot. Would a regular console / handheld gamer actually forego all handheld / console gaming to just game on a phone though? Hell no. We know what experiences we like on our consoles and handhelds and it is something not often duplicated on a phone.

This is why it always confuses me when a company like Capcom takes a popular console brand and moves it over to the mobile brand exclusively. You are going to be sending that game out to a completely different userbase, some of whom may not know anything about the history of your product. You are basically guessing that mobile gamers = console gamers in a move like that. And that may not necessarily be the case. And will those console gamers even want to use their phone to play a console game like Breath of Fire? Don't know that either.

I think the console industry and handheld industry are here to say because it is a completely different form of entertainment compared to the mobile scene. Mobile will stick around because the games that are popular there are perfectly suited to the type of thing you would be doing on a phone. Quick 2-10 bursts of gaming that is as fast as pulling out your phone and opening the app. But when you are ready for a more dedicated handheld experience, you are generally on a bus for awhile or on a train or plane or at home unable to use the TV. And when you console game, you want to sit down in front of your TV or PC monitor and get immersed in the experience.

Mobile gaming is here to stay, but I do think the numbers may be inflated a bit currently as it is the " new thing ". Just how much will they fall? We'll find out within the next few years I think.

Kyoufu

So when are the 3-4 million DQ userbase going t move to the PS4? Seems like a big risk abandoning the 3DS and going PS4 exclusive

Combined install base of PS3 & PS4 should be at least 14 million by the time a hypothetical DQXI is released (2017?) for PS3/PS4 in Japan. That's enough, don't you think?

Before DQXI's release there'll be FFXV, MGSV, KH3 and others to push PS4's install base. This is not including the wave of cross-gen games coming in 2015 beginning with DQ Heroes which will move systems before the game is even released thanks to the Metal Slime edition in December.

So I don't think it's a major financial risk by going PS3/PS4 instead of 3DS. Square-Enix does seem committed to pushing the PS4 in Japan, beginning with DQ Heroes, then Type-0 HD + FFXV demo before FFXV itself before Christmas 2015.

Do I think 3DS would be the better business decision? Sure, but if Horii desires to create a game for the big screen then more power to him.

Delio

Combined install base of PS3 & PS4 should be at least 14 million by the time a hypothetical DQXI is released (2017?) for PS3/PS4 in Japan. That's enough, don't you think?

Before DQXI's release there'll be FFXV, MGSV, KH3 and others to push PS4's install base. This is not including the wave of cross-gen games coming in 2015 beginning with DQ Heroes which will move systems before the game is even released thanks to the Metal Slime edition in December.

So I don't think it's a major financial risk by going PS3/PS4 instead of 3DS. Square-Enix does seem committed to pushing the PS4 in Japan, beginning with DQ Heroes, then Type-0 HD + FFXV demo before FFXV itself before Christmas 2015.

Do I think 3DS would be the better business decision? Sure, but if Horii desires to create a game for the big screen then more power to him.

Would they really still be making PS3 games in 2017 if this is dropping then? Wouldnt they just be pushing for PS4 exclusive?

Oregano

To reach DQIX levels more than one in three people would have to buy the game new, that's before you take into account that the vast majority of PS4 owners will own a PS3 as well and that people probanly won't be buying PS3 games at that point.

I don't see how losing potentially half your customers(assuming it would sell at least 2 million copies) on a product that is more expensive to produce would be anything other than a financial risk.

If it's what Horii wants to make then awesome and it will likely be an amazing game but I think it's not realistic to expect it to be the success its predecessors were and honestly I think it could weaken the franchise in the long run.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I really hope he's right. As much as I like portable games, home consoles are just such a more enjoyable experience for me.

Sandfox

I disagree with his statements and he's probably just saying it because he wants the next DQ game to do well.

I don't get why people think DQXI won't sell well if it's on PS4. DQ would sell well no matter what system it's on (except maybe Xbox) and if people were to see DQXI along with FFXV and other games like Bloodborne and Persona, it'd be very hard to say no even if PS4 isn't selling well now.

The PS4's install base is going to hold this game back and games like FF and Persona aren't going to help change that either.

Would they really still be making PS3 games in 2017 if this is dropping then? Wouldnt they just be pushing for PS4 exclusive?

The PS3 probably won't even be on shelves anymore by the time this game comes out.

It's naive to think that in 2016 or 2017 100% of PS3 userbase will still be active.

Dedicated handhelds are far more likely to die first (vs. home consoles). But I would think everything would just end up on smartphones.
In the end end there will be a subscription and you can play the stuff you want on whatever screen you have, server processed, a little like ps now, but biggerbetterfaster. working on phone, tv, pc, vr helmet whatever. problem for my imagination will not so much be that you need one service, bandwith or server power (this will come), but you need one unified input device.
so maybe you have the google xbox service, the samsung playstation service and apple steam to chose from, have your fancy branded and registered controller with you and connect it to whatever screen in front of you is able to access the internet.

Aeana

It's weird that people are just assuming it'll be exclusive to anything. Especially after Yu Miyake said that exclusivity for Dragon Quest games would be difficult going forward.

system11

I think he's wrong.

Home consoles will never return on Japan. The use of portable consoles (and now smartphones) fit better with the modern lifestyle. Specially now that portable and smartphones are powerful enought to fit all videogame genres and experiences (even sandbox games) without problems.

On tiny screens with awful controls, sure.

I think he's right - my hands cramp up inside of 15 minutes trying to play handhelds, there's no comfortable way to play them for extended periods. I've never understoodwhy Japan likes them so much. They're small, but it's like settling for a Fiat when you could have a Ferrari. The experiences are not equal.

I wish Sony had put a video out and pad in on the Vita. I'm not willing to suffer the discomfort to play the games released on there that I was interested in though.

fader

I personally think people misinterpret the whole Mobile gaming division. I don't even view the mobile gaming world as being parallel with the console / handheld gaming division.

Mainly because, the Handheld system is built from the ground up to mimic as best as possible a console gaming experience. The Vita for example, was the best version of that. It had the same button layout, dual analog, touchscreen, etc. It could mimic the console experience perfectly while still providing those quick handheld game experiences.

In the mobile world, I really think it is popular only because everyone has one in their pocket anyway. So when they are at work, or on a train or bus, they just whip out their phone and touch the screen for 10-20 minutes. Its why games like Puzzles and Dragons are so popular. Very fast gameplay and everything is saved to your spot. Would a regular console / handheld gamer actually forego all handheld / console gaming to just game on a phone though? Hell no. We know what experiences we like on our consoles and handhelds and it is something not often duplicated on a phone.

This is why it always confuses me when a company like Capcom takes a popular console brand and moves it over to the mobile brand exclusively. You are going to be sending that game out to a completely different userbase, some of whom may not know anything about the history of your product. You are basically guessing that mobile gamers = console gamers in a move like that. And that may not necessarily be the case. And will those console gamers even want to use their phone to play a console game like Breath of Fire? Don't know that either.

I think the console industry and handheld industry are here to say because it is a completely different form of entertainment compared to the mobile scene. Mobile will stick around because the games that are popular there are perfectly suited to the type of thing you would be doing on a phone. Quick 2-10 bursts of gaming that is as fast as pulling out your phone and opening the app. But when you are ready for a more dedicated handheld experience, you are generally on a bus for awhile or on a train or plane or at home unable to use the TV. And when you console game, you want to sit down in front of your TV or PC monitor and get immersed in the experience.

Mobile gaming is here to stay, but I do think the numbers may be inflated a bit currently as it is the " new thing ". Just how much will they fall? We'll find out within the next few years I think.

thats-good.gif

rpmurphy

My old Android phone had a mini HDMI port and support for BlueTooth device input, which was good for emulators. It isn't anything new and no one cared. Would anyone care now? I don't know.

Game Guru

Walkmans, typewriters, Black & White TVs and wired phones were or are being replaced because MP3 players, PCs, Color TVs, and cellphones were able to replicate the functions of those devices as good as or better than those devices themselves. Despite TV not being a fad, TV did not completely replace movies. What aspects of movies that television replaced was the newsreel, cartoons, and serials... Formats which television did better because instead of having to go to the theater every Saturday to watch the news, animated cartoons, and a single episode of a series, people could do it every day in the comfort of their own home. Despite what you might think, a successful mobile game is a lot different from a successful console game. Successful console games, at least retail games, are big budget experiences which costs $60 and require a somewhat more complex physical controller. Mobile games are low budget experiences which are Free To Play and rely entirely on a touchscreen. Comparatively, I can listen to the same types of music on either a Walkman or an MP3 Player. I can type out the same documents on either a typewriter or a computer. I can watch the same programs on either a B&W or Color TV. I can receive the same calls on wired phones or cellphones. However, I can't play the same big budget $60 experience that requires a controller that consoles have on a device that sees its success from low budget F2P experiences and uses only a touchscreen by default without compromising what makes a mobile device useful... Its mobility.

I think he's wrong.

Home consoles will never return on Japan. The use of portable consoles (and now smartphones) fit better with the modern lifestyle. Specially now that portable and smartphones are powerful enought to fit all videogame genres and experiences (even sandbox games) without problems.

Glad I don't live there. Also, you exaggerate on "all experiences".

Top Bottom