• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde ripped off Rygar music

MiguelItUp

Holy crap, lmao. I didn't make the connection, but that would explain why I thought it sounded familiar. I think I saw a playthrough with Angry Video Game nerd or something eons ago where he played Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and I thought the music sounded familiar. While I remember playing that game as a child at one point, I also played Rygar a LOT.

bronk

Banned
Holy crap, lmao. I didn't make the connection, but that would explain why I thought it sounded familiar. I think I saw a playthrough with Angry Video Game nerd or something eons ago where he played Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and I thought the music sounded familiar. While I remember playing that game as a child at one point, I also played Rygar a LOT.
Me too! I love Rygar.

Reactions: TLZ
It is? Well I guess I just found a composer being lazy lol. He probably played the game first and he's like "I'm not wasting time with new music on this trash."

Yeah probably quick and dirty work on that one. Though both games were released by different companies, so he was pulling a fast one in more ways than one. ;)

Also as far as other examples, the main guitar theme from Stage 1 of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is suspiciously similar to the truck stage from Bad Dudes:

Last edited:

bronk

Banned
Yeah probably quick and dirty work on that one. Though both games were released by different companies, so he was pulling a fast one in more ways than one. ;)

Also as far as other examples, the main guitar theme from Stage 1 of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is suspiciously similar to the truck stage from Bad Dudes:

Whoa! That's a good find. Someone who loves video game music....i love this kind of stuff.

bronk

Banned
I found another similar tune in a small part. Wonder if its the same composer as well? Is it obvious i'm forever listening to retro music?

Trojan Nes

Cabal Nes

It's such a small part but I got stoked it popped into my head haha
Also both games are fantastic.

I found another similar tune in a small part. Wonder if its the same composer as well? Is it obvious i'm forever listening to retro music?

Trojan Nes

Cabal Nes

It's such a small part but I got stoked it popped into my head haha
Also both games are fantastic.

Rygar and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde on the NES were both composed by Michiharu Hasuya. Rygar came first, so I would imagine that Michiharu did the music for that game first, then just recycled some of his music for Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

David Wise did the soundtrack for Cabal. Trojan is composed by Ayako Mori, who is also known for doing the Ghosts 'N Goblins and 1942 soundtracks at Capcom.

bronk

Banned
Rygar and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde on the NES were both composed by Michiharu Hasuya. Rygar came first, so I would imagine that Michiharu did the music for that game first, then just recycled some of his music for Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

David Wise did the soundtrack for Cabal. Trojan is composed by Ayako Mori, who is also known for doing the Ghosts 'N Goblins and 1942 soundtracks at Capcom.
Thank you for the info. I didnt know David Wise did Cabal i love him.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Motoi Sakuraba did this with two of his tracks. The first handful of seconds of his track The Beguiling Mirages from Infinite Undiscovery and dammit I forget what other track it was, it was from another game he composed. I think Graces f, Abyss, or Vesperia maybe? I'll think of it eventually. Anyway he reused the same exact tune. Frankly, I can't blame him, the dude is way overworked.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Motoi Sakuraba did this with two of his tracks. The first handful of seconds of his track The Beguiling Mirages from Infinite Undiscovery and dammit I forget what other track it was, it was from another game he composed. I think Graces f, Abyss, or Vesperia maybe? I'll think of it eventually. Anyway he reused the same exact tune. Frankly, I can't blame him, the dude is way overworked.

Ok, I remembered the other track if anyone cares to listen

It's about at the 51 second mark of the Baten Kaitos House of Cards track

and the first seconds of The Beguiling Mirages from Infinite Undiscovery

Same exact tune reused. It lasts for about 15-20 seconds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom