• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Mario World Hits 2 Million Installs and Passes $100K Spent Within 72 Hours of Launch

Mista

Banned
Dr-Mario-World-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

Nintendo’s newly released mobile title, Dr. Mario World, has been picking up some steam since its global launch on July 9th. According to new data from Sensor Tower, the game has already hit the 2 million installations milestone and has made more than $100,000. All within the first 72 hours of its release.

Here’s a graph sizing up the downloads and revenue between Dr. Mario World and Nintendo’s other mobile games:
nintendo-mobile.jpg

While at first glance it looks to be doing poorly compared to the company’s other titles, it’s actually making healthy revenue. According to Sensor Tower’s analysis, its monetization is more comparable to other titles in the broader puzzle game genre. This includes the latest release from Candy Crush Saga maker King, Candy Crush Friends Saga.

In comparison to Candy Crush, Dr. Mario World is holding its own, generating about 73 percent of Friends Saga’s $137,000 first-three-day gross revenue in the same markets. Compare this to King’s finely-tuned monetization model which has been perfected across four titles and nearly seven years.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Remember when Nintendo fanboys swore up and down that Nintendo would never sell out and make smartphone games?

Then when they started making smartphone games, many of us remained hopeful that they’d at least make higher quality and more ethical games than the typical whale-driven garbage?

Ahh how naive we were.

MagnesG

Banned
Remember when Nintendo fanboys swore up and down that Nintendo would never sell out and make smartphone games?

Then when they started making smartphone games, many of us remained hopeful that they’d at least make higher quality and more ethical games than the typical whale-driven garbage?

Ahh how naive we were.
They did. Only the market's not budging.

It's a full-on mobile game, full with the sleazy, constant prompts to spend more money that investors so desperately wanted.

Don't you think Nintendo doesn't like to make money? I'm sure Nintendo came up with the idea to make free to play mobile games with microstransactions and not the investors.

Vawn

Banned
Don't you think Nintendo doesn't like to make money? I'm sure Nintendo came up with the idea to make free to play mobile games with microstransactions and not the investors.

Of course, but Nintendo tried a reasonable approach that their investors hated - a complete game, free of microtransactions for $9.99.

The mobile gaming market proved the investors right. The mobile market is at a point where the only way to make a good profit is to exploit whales, children, etc or use any other tactic to make a really bad deal appear great.

Of course, but Nintendo tried a reasonable approach that their investors hated - a complete game, free of microtransactions for $9.99.

The mobile gaming market proved the investors right. The mobile market is at a point where the only way to make a good profit is to exploit whales, children, etc or use any other tactic to make a really bad deal appear great.
Maybe you're right, we'll never know who's idea it was to include microtransactions.
But the main goal of almost every company is to make as much money they can, they don't care if a small portion of their customers don't like the way they do it.

Grinchy

Banned
I already hit a point in it where if every pill isn't placed perfectly, I'd need to pay money for some upgrade to beat the level.

petran79

Banned
Most efficient and cheapest way to finish the game at later stages would be buying 1 hour endless hearts for 30 diamonds and brute force every stage. After stage 25 things become difficult and if you include the timed challenges even more so. Have no clue how many stages they have. If it is 100 stages, then 1500 diamonds are mandatory, at 74 Euro
Because if you make one wrong move in timed events or when capsules are limited, you have to restart anyway.

I find the Super Mario Run sales a bullshit excuse by Nintendo, but anyway....Uninstalled Dr Mario and will only keep Super Mario Run.

jadedm17

Ahh how naive we were.

Indeed, i never believed that. Nintendo still keeps quality over the rest but at the end of the day we all follow the money. They are a business, not our friends, and the Switch lineup has been aces.... i see no harm here.

joe_zazen

Ahh how naive we were.

Lol, yeah. Some even think the mobile profits are used only to fund regular console games and dedicated hardware, like they are a nonprofit console gaming charity or something.

Top Bottom