• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Neo Cortex voice actor implies Crash Bandicoot return?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
activision at e3;

'we heard your pleas, so we're happy to announce the return of crash bandicoot!'

SNURB

That's not how publishing works. Microsoft published Mass Effect, then those rights moved to EA after the purchase of Bioware.

Nope.

Sony owns the PUBLISHING RIGHTS to the PS1 games. Universal OWNED the IP and the GAMES THEMSELVES and the interactive division absorbed into Activision who now OWNS THE IP AND GAMES.

That's not how publishing works. Microsoft published Mass Effect, then those rights moved to EA after the purchase of Bioware.

Sorry, bud, but Sony has the publishing rights to Crash 1, 2, 3, TR and Bash. Trust me or not, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to Crash Bandicoot.

HMD

Crash is happening, that was pretty much guaranteed the moment Shawn Layden came out with that t-shirt. They're just trolling, and the FFVII remaster reveal proves that they love doing that.

Fj0823

activision at e3;

'we heard your pleas, so we're happy to announce the return of crash bandicoot!'

crash_skylander_by_acearchdragon-d6pu2o6.png

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
He explicitedly said its not Crash Bandicoot. I feel like those who wants him to return, are having selective reading.

Considering Mark Cerny had a big part in the original games, yeah probably.

Mark Cerny isnt technically a Sony employee. He is a one man independent company (Cerny Games) that Sony works a lot with.

I dont see why Activsion couldn't ask him to oversee a Crash reboot. He could always say no.

But Cerny is probbaly the only big name from the PS1 games that is still designing games. Plenty of people who worked on those games are still working but most of the actual leads got rich or retired or left the industry to go teach or something.

filly

Perhaps he was called into re-record.

I have a theory. However no one will able to talk about right now, even when it gets to Monday I don't see how.

Alienous

So Adam Boyes tweeted that Activision still owns Crash
https://twitter.com/amboyes/status/729198412592078848

Maybe that will change on Monday? :D

If Sony are lending out one of their biggest studios (Sucker Punch) to make an Activision game (Spider-Man) they have to have gotten something in return.

... wait, I'm just now realizing Sony own the Spider-Man movie IP, so Sony making a game makes sense.

Maybe Spider-Man is a sign. Maybe Crash is coming back to Sony like Spider-Man went to Marvel. Not a full rights release, but a partial one.

MrBadger

Oh yeh, he can just say '' Sony is making a new Crash.'' Unless he wants to breach the NDA, yeh sure.

If he was voicing Cortex, he wouldn't drop a subtle hint about voicing a "doctor" and then immediately shut down Crash fans. He'd probably just stay silent or something.

Also does this Crash embargo thing have a credible source?

farisr

How do we know this?
Because people who don't have an embargo have leaked the related information already. The information is there already in the "the case for the return of crash bandicoot" thread. I won't spoil the actual thing though (you can go looking for it in that thread if you want, it's in spoiler tags in OP), I'd have preferred not to have known. But yeah, it seems that there has been an embargo put on that info, and other circumstances surrounding it would have you believe that the embargo was put there for a reason and could lead to more info regarding a Crash comeback or an announcement very soon.

At the very least when people naturally come across it, it's probably going to bring another wave of Crash coming back discussions.

SNURB

"Activision owns the IP" isn't a valid response anymore. Sony consistently has worked with 3rd party publishers and developers to release highly demanded PS3, PSVita and PS4 content. Asking Activision directly is nearly impossible since the company has no fan interaction. They have a handful of 'community managers' but nothing of the manner that Sony has.

Liamc723

Because people who don't have an embargo have leaked the related information already. The information is there already in the "the case for the return of crash bandicoot" thread. I won't spoil the actual thing though (you can go looking for it in that thread if you want, it's in spoiler tags in OP), I'd have preferred not to have known. But yeah, it seems that there has been an embargo put on that info, and other circumstances surrounding it would have you believe that the embargo was put there for a reason and could lead to more info regarding a Crash comeback or an announcement very soon.

At the very least when people naturally come across it, it's probably going to bring another wave of Crash coming back discussions.

Oh I know exactly what you mean then.

It feels like people are over hyping it though, because the way people are talking about it is like it's an actual announcement when it's not.

It's not like Sony are going to come out tomorrow and say we now own the Crash license.

It's a very cool easter egg, but I don't think in any way it's going to lead to an announcement before the Sony E3 conference.

So Adam Boyes tweeted that Activision still owns Crash
https://twitter.com/amboyes/status/729198412592078848

Maybe that will change on Monday? :D

Spoilers on Unreleased PS Exclusive releasing soon, READ AT OWN RISK:
Yeah, this is total bunk.

A: Activision was required to be credited in an art book featuring Crash Bandicoot, but NOT Uncharted 4? Which features TWO playable Crash gameplay segments, the Crash Bandicoot boxart and LOGO, and a Wumpa Fruit?

B: Bruce Straley candidly said this segment was planned last year, but said it was cut because it was "impossible" to put in due to rights and ownership by Activision. Now the game has Crash not just in one place, but SEVERAL? If the Acti ownership was what was making it "IMPOSSIBLE"... what are we to assume now that it's IN the game??

Yeah, who spews that bullshit anyway? Nintendo diehards?

I don't think it's a case of "Fanboyism" in any direction. It's just an odd quirk of having such a large base of opinions. No matter how large the majority opinion, in a place this size, you'll have dissenters.

I'm actually really facinated by the revisionist ''Crash was never good'' sentiment I have been seeing lately.

Yeah, I've noticed that. How long has that been a thing for? And then there's also the good ol' reliable "Who even cares about Crash anymore?" line that gets touted a lot.

How about you take a look at those PSN charts sometime you grubby little naysayer, that'll answer your question!

Yeah, who spews that bullshit anyway? Nintendo diehards?

Not even them neccessarily. When the official PSBlog held the best PS1 games poll and 2 of the 4 winners were Crash games people in places were really salty. Not just cause they thought that some other games were better but apparently because Crash was trash.

I especially find this to be wrong because one thing I remember about Crash is that it was hot shit with more casual crowd, way more than any other game that generation (perhaps minus some sports titles). And if there is one thing I know about casual gamers it's that they won't come near anything that plays clunky.

SNURB

Spoilers on Unreleased PS Exclusive releasing soon, READ AT OWN RISK:
Yeah, this is total bunk.

A: Activision was required to be credited in an art book featuring Crash Bandicoot, but NOT Uncharted 4? Which features TWO playable Crash gameplay segments, the Crash Bandicoot boxart and LOGO, and a Wumpa Fruit?

B: Bruce Straley candidly said this segment was planned last year, but said it was cut because it was "impossible" to put in due to rights and ownership by Activision. Now the game has Crash not just in one place, but SEVERAL? If the Acti ownership was what was making it "IMPOSSIBLE"... what are we to assume now that it's IN the game??
Maybe Boyes wasn't aware of the credits?

It would make sense in a way. He is in charge of the Third Party Division and there's dozens of divisions at Sony Interactive but this would be the work of First Party since Uncharted is a Sony IP, correct?

I'm actually really facinated by the revisionist ''Crash was never good'' sentiment I have been seeing lately.

This happens with a lot of cherished stuff from the 90s, honestly.

"Rare's games with Nintendo were never good, guys!"
"The original Sonic The Hedgehog games were never good, guys!"

I hope this is created with the same love and care and expertise as a game like Super Mario 3D World is.

I fking love that game, and I love my WiiU.

I always found it sorta funny that 3D Mario has increasingly become more akin to old Crash games rather than embracing the Mario 64 heritage (and even more funny is that ND did the exact opposite with Jak 1 and went toward the more open 64 formula).

I consider Mario Galaxy to be a spiritual successor of sorts to classic Crash games with more linear 3D platforming and 2D sections with gimmick stages. And I'm more than happy with that, I always prefered Crash over 64 and I think Mario Galaxy 1+2 are probably the best 3D platformers ever made because of the direction it took (still love M64 to death doe).

SNURB

Not even them neccessarily. When the official PSBlog held the best PS1 games poll and 2 of the 4 winners were Crash games people in places were really salty. Not just cause they thought that some other games were better but apparently because Crash was trash.

I especially find this to be wrong because one thing I remember about Crash is that it was hot shit with more casual crowd, way more than any other game that generation (perhaps minus some sports titles). And if there is one thing I know about casual gamers it's that they won't come near anything that plays clunky.

Oh yeah, I do remember that happened. People were extremely salty about the poll results but does it matter? MGS and FF7 made the list anyway and they were the creme de la creme.

It was just a simple fan survey, really. Also, due in part that the European PlayStation FB page showed that cake with Crash for their 20th anniversary around the same time must've got people riled up and wanted to see Crash come back.

Megatron

Maybe Spider-Man is a sign. Maybe Crash is coming back to Sony like Spider-Man went to Marvel. Not a full rights release, but a partial one.

The problem is Spiderman is a much bigger draw than crash is. If marvel makes a moon knight movie instead of a spiderman movie, that won't do nearly as well. But if Sony makes a sly/jack/ratchet game that will do roughly as well as a crash game, so why split the profits with activision?

Top Bottom