• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Neo Cortex voice actor implies Crash Bandicoot return?

So Adam Boyes tweeted that Activision still owns Crash
https://twitter.com/amboyes/status/729198412592078848

Maybe that will change on Monday? :D

I hope this puts that dream to bed.

I dont know why people think its so unrealistic at Activison wouldn't be OK with ND punting a little Crash in U4. Its free publicity for their brand before they attempt to revive it with a new game.

It's more likely Boyes is straight-up lying.

If something was going to be announced next week or "soon" like E3 he would just ignore twitter questions about it.

Dont be naive. Dude is just keeping peoples expectations in check. A new Crash game may be coming and Sony might play a part in its revival but it seems the IP rights are staying put.

I hope this puts that dream to bed.

I dont know why people think its so unrealistic at Activison wouldn't be OK with ND punting a little Crash in U4. Its free publicity for their brand before they attempt to revive it with a new game.

Activision will never make a new Crash game

70pt font, all caps, Impact

The problem is Spiderman is a much bigger draw than crash is. If marvel makes a moon knight movie instead of a spiderman movie, that won't do nearly as well. But if Sony makes a sly/jack/ratchet game that will do roughly as well as a crash game, so why split the profits with activision?

Someone mentioned that Sony would not have to give Activison a single penny so long as the game they make is not related to the movies. That's the only reason why I think sucker punch will make a Spider-Man game, Sony would only need to answer to Disney and not sure if people have noticed, but they good business buddies lately.

Of course it's horrible for me to think SP would waste their talent on a Spider-Man game so here's hoping they're not making any shit like that, infamous next would be just dandy.

Activision will never make a new Crash game

70pt font, all caps, Impact

List of more likely ways a new Crash game will be announced from most to least likely.

1: Activision and some part of the Skylanders machine announced a new Crash game with Sony co marketing.

2: Sony licences the IP similar to the old Universal x PlayStaiton 1 deal and Sony developers and publishes a game but Activision still owns the IP.

3: Half Life 3 is announced at E3

4: Sony gets ownership of the Crash Bandicoot IP and announces a game.

Big successful publishers simply dont sell IP. Activision has nothing to lose by sitting on it for a while and hoping a good idea comes along in the future.

You shouldn't pay attention to such answers. They've mislead the gaming community before.

Dude has also made a point in the past to get out in front of hype trains and get peoples expectations in check before big events.

I remember before the first PSX he was trying to keep peoples expectations in check on twitter and I think he did the same on GAF when everyone was tossing around giant E3 level wish lists

Adam Boyes is not David Jaffe. Dude probably isnt going to lie to keep a surprise. He would probably just ignore the questions.

pHand

I feel like if they were going to the trouble of reviving Crash they'd pay the big bucks to get Clancy Brown back. Lex Lang is awesome, though. His Zhuge Liang is boss.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i think the main point many are avoiding as to why we still belive crash is getting something, even if acti owns the rights, is the fact they arent mentioned in the credits. which is something they would legally have to do otherwise activision could royally sue sony big time.

the fact this whole easter egg was mentioned in n interview and said it needed to be removed, and is still in place, means some deal is in place, but again their would need to be activision mentioned in credits

salromano

Well yeah. You can just look at TESS for example to figure that out.
There could be a deal that they give ownership of it to Sony at some specified date though.

That's what I was thinking.

Edit: To elaborate, as you mention, the trademark database still shows that Acti owns it, and unless Sony wanted a surprise to be outright confirmed, it wouldn't really make sense for them to transfer the trademark until after something new is announced, otherwise it'll just be spoiled. Plus, I see a lot of titles not just from Sony, but from other pubs, not get trademarked until after they're announced anyway, so I don't see why the same isn't possible with a transfer of rights.

To get my point across further, Microsoft announced it acquired Gears of War from Epic Games on January 27, 2014. According to the EU trademark database, there wasn't a transfer of ownership until February 20.

N.Domixis

Banned
Just let Crash rest in peace.

Bring back spyro instead

Spyro would be cool if it went back to IG, but this franchise is never teased like crash. I can't even remember one tease, where as for crash its all over. Marketing, conferences, twitter, Shawn.

I don't know if IG would want to do Spyro anymore anyway. Also it's not nearly as fan requested as Crash, so there's probably much less incentive for them to try to reacquire the rights for it.

Spyro would be cool if it went back to IG, but this franchise is never teased like crash. I can't even remember one tease, where as for crash its all over. Marketing, conferences, twitter, Shawn.

Spyro turned into Skylanders. They're not giving it up ever. Meanwhile Crash has been entirely worthless ever since... Wrath of Cortex, I guess.

I don't get why Crash has been doing NOTHING for the last so many years. Not even showing his face in anything
apart from UC4

I mean what the hell activision? At least they coulld've sold the rights not just sit on them.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I don't get why Crash has been doing NOTHING for the last so many years. Not even showing his face in anything
apart from UC4

I mean what the hell activision? At least they coulld've sold the rights not just sit on them.

I dunno how much you've been following the video game industry, but colorful mascot platformers haven't really been a thing for over a decade by this point (outside of Nintendo), and haven't sold well for even longer than that.

The kids growing up these days want games in which you shoot guns at dudes or games starting characters that are made up a handful of large cubes.

I dunno how much you've been following the video game industry, but colorful mascot platformers haven't really been a thing for over a decade by this point (outside of Nintendo), and haven't sold well for even longer than that.

The kids growing up these days want games in which you shoot guns at dudes or games starting characters that are made up a handful of large cubes.

I'd say Ratchet and Clank is an example of why that first paragraph is bunk, but then you'd just use the fact that there are guns in it to say it isn't.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'd say Ratchet and Clank is an example of why that first paragraph is bunk, but then you'd just use the fact that there are guns in it to say it isn't.

Okay, so Ratchet and Clank, there's one.

What other examples of mascot platformers are there on the Playstation 4 and Xbox One? Even the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 were pretty barren, especially the closer you get to the end of their respective lifespans.

Edit Skylanders, the Lego titles, and Disney Infinity come to mind, though two of these are based off of already existing popular franchises and Skylanders used toys to sell their games.

Edit 2: Colorful mascot platformers are actually mobile game's forte these days, so you should be asking Activision why they haven't rebooted Crash Bandicoot into a series of iOS and Android titles.

R&C aren't really platformers anymore, but the reason for that ain't "there are guns", it's more like "there isn't much but guns". The gameplay is comparable to an old-school shooter or a really weird shmup, and presence of jump button doesn't change much here.

That said, here's the thing. I don't remember majority of kids wanting mascot games. My friends played these when given, sure, but what the majority specifically wanted when choice was available was the "adult", gore-filled stuff. There is no change here. The change is probably that parents care less, or something like that.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Klonoa is a Konami IP, isn't?

Nope, Namco. (Well, I guess Namco Bandai now.)

Klonoa even has Pac-Man on his hat!

Klonoa.png

SNURB

Agreed.

The recent Ratchet game has loads of platforming, particularly in the Gaspar level. Don't know why people don't classify it as one because of the shooting aspects. Even Ted Price mentioned that cartoony platformer games are still popular back at PSX.

Agreed.

The recent Ratchet game has loads of platforming, particularly in the Gaspar level. Don't know why people don't classify it as one because of the shooting aspects. Even Ted Price mentioned that cartoony platformer games are still popular back at PSX.

I don't because the majority of what you do isn't platforming, it's shooting.

Gaspar is all about collecting, that's not platforming.

It's definitely a hybrid, but I don't get why it's so widely put in the same category as other platformers.

oni-link

I'm actually really facinated by the revisionist ''Crash was never good'' sentiment I have been seeing lately.

Yeah I first played Crash 2 and 3 late last year, and they're the only Crash games I've played (I had an N64 that gen) and I thought both were fantastic games that held up really well

Ivan 3414

Spyro's stuck in Skylanders and is pretty much dead.

That's a weird definition of "dead".

Being "stuck" in one of the best selling video game franchises of all time...I think a lot of video game characters would like to be "dead" as well

SNURB

That's a weird definition of "dead".

Being "stuck" in one of the best selling video game franchises of all time...I think a lot of video game characters would like to be "dead" as well

What I meant as a standalone franchise as it originally was is considered dead.

Top Bottom