• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drag queens banned from Pride event 'because they may offend transgender people'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sagroth

My spouse is genderfluid(AFAB), and she's never expressed any problems or had any trouble getting along with the(admittedly not all that many) drag queens we know.

kaye

Banned
I have had little experience with drag performers and certainly don't know any; but I utterly WILL NOT step all over the rights and freedoms of others to gain my little piece of illusory equality. That's evil.

I'm a little ignorant when it comes to drag. Is it simply a clothing/style choice, or is it a physiological/biological state? (I'm asking unrelated to the news.)

LGBT+ Drag is a form of non-cis normative gender expression (the physical manifestation/performance/presentation of one's internal gender identity, usually heavily influenced by social constructs) often mixed with creative/artistic expression.
Trans people/cis people (not trans)/ genderqueer people/etc. can engage in queer drag and contribute to it's culture but the majority of kings and queens tend to be cis identified (not trans) gender-nonconforming LGB women and men.
I'm not really sure how crossdressing (which drag is just a fancier form of) might relate to someone's biology, but we do have an OT for drag and crossdressing if you want some questions answered.

Crossdressing And Drag OT

Xe4

Banned
I don't really follow the LGBT... community much. Therefore I don't know whether Drag shows do insult TG people. If they do, that's messed up, and that has to stop. But if you are a transgender person (or whomever), and you think it's not ok for cisgender males to dress up in a dress, because you think it offends you, then you need to get over yorself. A person who both was born a male and identifies as a male has just as much of a right to wear whatever he wants as a woman or a transgender person. People saying that it's ok to think that way because drag preformances, and crossdressing "isn't an identity" really need to reevalute themselves and thier views on others. Treating LGBT... people with respect has never been about them having an identity. It's always been about showing respect towards who they are and what they want to do in life (as long as it isn't to intentionally cause harm to others). That's my opinnion anyways.

I don't crossdress, if that matters. It just always struck me as a stupid doubble standard, that a girl could wear a dress, but a guy never could...

i still dont get why the experiences of erin are a FACT,i doub she was on every pride event to testify that drags are evil against trans or viceversa,ist just a personal experiencie dont extrapolate to the entire drag pride parades all over the world

I'm forcing myself to think of them as extreme situations, but even taken as unique events they are really something else.

That said... i'm not so optimistic about their rarity.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Good to see it revoked. Goddamn ridiculous to ban people from an event that should be about showing who you truly are.

This all inclusive, non offensive bullshit is going too far.

Being offended is maybe the worst argument to ban something.

If something doesn't attack or insult you then you have to learn to deal with it.

mr2xxx

Banned
Good thing they changed their minds. I'd understand if drag was like blackface in which its purpose was to mock a certain group but drag queens never came off like that.

Carcetti

Being offended is maybe the worst argument to ban something.

If something doesn't attack or insult you then you have to learn to deal with it.

Well, why read before commenting.

The original decision was made because many trans members of Free Pride have had negative experiences with drag acts veering towards racism, misogyny and transphobia; the lack of contact with the drag community contributed.

Still, it turned out well. The problems got aired out into the spotlight and the final call seems to make sense.

Well, why read before commenting.

Still, it turned out well. The problems got aired out into the spotlight and the final call seems to make sense.

You are free to read the original statement.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/07/20/pride-event-bans-drag-queens-in-case-they-are-offensive/

“The decision was taken by transgender individuals who were uncomfortable with having drag performances at the event. It was felt that it would make some of those who were transgender or questioning their gender uncomfortable.”

It continued: “It was felt by the group within the Trans/Non Binary Caucus that some drag performance, particularly cis drag, hinges on the social view of gender and making it into a joke, however transgender individuals do not feel as though their gender identity is a joke.

“This can particularly difficult for those who are not out and still present as the gender they were assigned at birth. While it was discussed whether we could have trans drag acts perform, it was agreed that as it would not be appropriate to ask any prospective drag acts whether or not they identified as trans.

“It was therefore decided that having no drag acts perform would be the best option as it would mean no-one would feel pressured to out themselves.”

They were banned because they were drags, if they would have banned them because they acted against the spirit of the Free Pride movement then they would even have an argument. But this is just a you are not welcomed message.

I'm still confused what the actual issue here was.

They didn't actually ban anyone to begin with, right? They just decided to not have any drag acts perform because they kept getting acts that had really non-inclusive humor at the expense of others?

They were banned because they were drags, if they would have banned them because they acted against the spirit of the Free Pride movement then they would even have an argument. But this is just a you are not welcomed message.

But it does, to their perspective (or did, to be more correct). They make it clear that providing a safe place for their attendees is one of the pillars of Free Pride, and their argument is that the presence of drag acts would erode the safety from antagonism that they are promoting.

But it does, to their perspective (or did, to be more correct). They make it clear that providing a safe place for their attendees is one of the pillars of Free Pride, and their argument is that the presence of drag acts would erode the safety from antagonism that they are promoting.

Well, looking at the fact that they did a 180 turn about that topic just show that the ban was more about some people feeling uncomfortable (which should not be enough to ban drags from the event) about something than there was a real threat against the spirit of the movement.

Well, looking at the fact that they did a 180 turn about that topic just show that the ban was more about some people feeling uncomfortable (which should not be enough to ban drags from the event) about something than there was a real threat against the spirit of the movement.

I wouldn't consider experiences with racism and transphobia simple discomfort, but eh.

McLovin

Pretty fucked up considering how people use to be offended at trans and gay people. If just being uncomfortable justified discrimination we would live in a messed up world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom