• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen PS4/XB1 |OT| They're master ports all, you can't go wrong

OrbOutrider

Neo Member
I never finished the game when I played it on my PC. I wanna get it for my PS4 but I might stop again. Is it just me or does it feel a bit repetitive. Any tips?

SkylineRKR

I had a hard time at the beginning, because I only ran with my own Pawn and never geared up. I thought it would eventually get some in new areas but I forgot about the shop (the only shop I could find was at the starting village). Completed lost and found and some others on standard gear and it was tedious. Kind of leveled up quickly though.

I noticed I had 50k in the bank so I fully decked out both of us and hired some on level pawns. Its far easier now, at least wolfpacks aren't as annoying anymore. I really should look into the fast travel as well.

Game is fucking amazing. idk what the best Strider skills are right now (I'm level 15 or so). I like the tripwire and knockdown shot. Can't find much use for cloudburst.

Kuosi

I never finished the game when I played it on my PC. I wanna get it for my PS4 but I might stop again. Is it just me or does it feel a bit repetitive. Any tips?

If you didn't like the PC version then you most likely wont like the PS4 one either as that one is the same at best

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Lol it's not like I don't understand why but out of 12 Gaffers in my Rift pawn list, only 2 are fighters, hahaha.

Too bad because I do need fighters pawn... Ah well.

Also, just an info, I won't (and any of you shouldn't too) touch a pawn with a Guardian inclination in either primary or secondary (well, secondary maybe but last resort only). Too bad many pawns are still Guardian infested too, just like back then in the PS3 version, hahah.

Audioboxer

Lol it's not like I don't understand why but out of 12 Gaffers in my Rift pawn list, only 2 are fighters, hahaha.

Also, just an info, I won't (and any of you shouldn't too) touch a pawn with a Guardian inclination in either primary or secondary (well, secondary maybe but last resort only). Too bad many pawns are still Guardian infested too, just like back then in the PS3 version, hahah.

Meh, a mage/sorcerer and strider/assassin is best. No need for tanks :p Just nuke everything.

Lux R7

I personally like the guardian inclination for my fighter pawn. But i also have a fighter arisen so it's probably the only good use of that inclination to just combat in concert.
However yeah, for ranged pawns it can be a big problem.

But sometimes I like having a pawn with me who stands and smells the flowers during intense combat. :(

I've not recreated her yet, but my Main Pawn on PS3 was a Sorcerer with Utilitarian/Scather, so she'd basically rush the strongest opponent with spells, and spell sync well with other Utilitarian pawns I hired.

Audioboxer

I try not to but I always come back to Strider/Ranger gameplay :/

It's the best. I'm playing assassin just now but with daggers. Sword is boring. Just levelling assassin for more strength, but I miss one or two strider skills.

Sorcerers skills are visually awesome. Might be fun to play as one, but a little slower. Don't know if I could stick levelling to 200 as a mage/sorcerer, for the end result.

I try not to but I always come back to Strider/Ranger gameplay :/

Don't feel bad, I end up doing the same cause the versatility can't be matched. That and nothing beats that climbing speed when you mount a beast...

-SIGH- I'm going To end up buying this again aren't I?

WITHE1982

Just unlocked the ranger dodge and double jump. Now the game feels much, much better.

Can't believe they're not unlocked from the start.

people

Hoq dp you change class/vocation? Can you chabge your pawn's class?

Talk to Inn-keeper (or the NPC in DLC area), select "Change Vocation", L1/R1 to switch between you and Pawn. You will need Discipline Point (dcp) to unlock vocations and skills/augments.

Ferr986

It's the best. I'm playing assassin just now but with daggers. Sword is boring. Just levelling assassin for more strength, but I miss one or two strider skills.

Sorcerers skills are visually awesome. Might be fun to play as one, but a little slower. Don't know if I could stick levelling to 200 as a mage/sorcerer, for the end result.

Yeah I love how I have both melee and ranger attacks. Also I love Strider aesthetics too, fits so good with this world.

Don't feel bad, I end up doing the same cause the versatility can't be matched. That and nothing beats that climbing speed when you mount a beast...

-SIGH- I'm going To end up buying this again aren't I?

That's what I told to myself, and here I am, with Dragons Dogma on 360, PC and now PS4 lol

Nameless

Running around BBI way too early, found a key to a locked treasure room and all hell broke loose inside. Managed to grab a very nice robe and rift crystal from the chests and flee with my main pawn. Rook somehow made it out too but The Hound(a very good re-creation, btw) wasn't so lucky. He took on the Shadow Knight or whatever the fuck that was and I had no choice but to leave him to die.

Well done Clegane. What a sacrifice

Ferr986

Btw, I really recommend to newcomers to not abuse warp, atleast at first. Having night time fall while exploring is so damn fun (and dangerous) and it's something that you'll miss once you're high enough level that nothing is a treat anymore.

kubus

I always leave messages for rented pawns when I release them, but I've yet to see a message left for my pawn. When are you supposed to see those? I assume when you get the notification that someone used your pawn and you collect gifts / see how your pawn was rated. In that case, I guess everyone is too lazy to leave a message because I've yet to see any lol.

People can be pretty ruthless too... Someone used my pawn for a long time but left a 3 star rating, pulling down my average rating :(.

Ferr986

Are you playing offline? If not, what's your pawn mame si I can take it out.

Ah yeah forgot to add my pawn to DDGaf

PSN ID: FerrSV
PS4
Pawn name: Bianca
Pawn level: 20
Pawn vocation: Mage
Additional details: For now its mostly support, healing and buff.

Don't expect much because I'm still deciding what vocation to focus for my pawn.

Ah yeah forgot to add my pawn to DDGaf

PSN ID: FerrSV
PS4
Pawn name: Bianca
Pawn level: 20
Pawn vocation: Mage
Additional details: For now its mostly support, healing and buff.

Don't expect much because I'm still deciding what vocation to focus for my pawn.
BloodborneGAF pawns get an insta-rent from me.

I always leave messages for rented pawns when I release them, but I've yet to see a message left for my pawn. When are you supposed to see those? I assume when you get the notification that someone used your pawn and you collect gifts / see how your pawn was rated. In that case, I guess everyone is too lazy to leave a message because I've yet to see any lol.

People can be pretty ruthless too... Someone used my pawn for a long time but left a 3 star rating, pulling down my average rating :(.

I just rate GAF pawns 5 stars.

Even the ones in that abomination queens dress.

Ferr986

BloodborneGAF pawns get an insta-rent from me.

tumblr_nlx8defwuB1syqz7zo1_500.gif

sublimit

Banned
Could someone please remind me how can i know if i choose a real person's Pawn or one of those that the developers have made?

To those of you who really love the game, what stands out for you? I'm genuinely curious because I'm about 15 hours in and I'm not really seeing it. Perhaps the game is a slow burner and it gets better later?

A bit of context, back on the PS3, I only played until you got your heart ripped out by the dragon at the starting village, so I barely touched the game. Then life happened and 5 years later, I'm playing the PS4 port now. In those 5 years, I kept seeing a lot of Gaffers hyping this game up, so the PS4 port was like a dream come true, finally a chance to experience a great game.

But 15 hours in, I wouldn't say it's a bad game, but it's been pretty average so far. Understandably the graphics is dated, given that it's a last gen game, so I wouldn't discount the game for that. But even the storytelling and world-building are quite dated and minimalist; the last two games I played were Horizon and Witcher 3, so DD:DA can't even compare. The quests are very MMO-like, kill X number of enemies, collect X number of items, nothing memorable so far, and that applies to the characters and pawns as well.

However, combat is quite fun. I'm playing as a Strider/Assassin, with a Mage/Sorcerer as my main pawn. Climbing on a cyclops/ogre and taking it down is fun. I'm hoping there will be more big enemies, I came across a dragon but didn't fight it as I couldn't do any damage. Story-wise, I'm doing the missions before meeting the Duke.

Again, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here. I genuinely would like to know what makes the game great for you. General consensus is the game is good, so I'm guessing maybe I haven't got to the good bits yet, or maybe I'm "playing it wrong"?

Could someone please remind me how can i know if i choose a real person's Pawn or one of those that the developers have made?
When you are in the Rift, keep cycling through the L1/R1 taps, you can see their Online ID.

sublimit

Banned
To those of you who really love the game, what stands out for you? I'm genuinely curious because I'm about 15 hours in and I'm not really seeing it. Perhaps the game is a slow burner and it gets better later?

A bit of context, back on the PS3, I only played until you got your heart ripped out by the dragon at the starting village, so I barely touched the game. Then life happened and 5 years later, I'm playing the PS4 port now. In those 5 years, I kept seeing a lot of Gaffers hyping this game up, so the PS4 port was like a dream come true, finally a chance to experience a great game.

But 15 hours in, I wouldn't say it's a bad game, but it's been pretty average so far. Understandably the graphics is dated, given that it's a last gen game, so I wouldn't discount the game for that. But even the storytelling and world-building are quite dated and minimalist; the last two games I played were Horizon and Witcher 3, so DD:DA can't even compare. The quests are very MMO-like, kill X number of enemies, collect X number of items, nothing memorable so far, and that applies to the characters and pawns as well.

However, combat is quite fun. I'm playing as a Strider/Assassin, with a Mage/Sorcerer as my main pawn. Climbing on a cyclops/ogre and taking it down is fun. I'm hoping there will be more big enemies, I came across a dragon but didn't fight it as I couldn't do any damage. Story-wise, I'm doing the missions before meeting the Duke.

Again, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here. I genuinely would like to know what makes the game great for you. General consensus is the game is good, so I'm guessing maybe I haven't got to the good bits yet, or maybe I'm "playing it wrong"?

For me first and foremost is the combat and how much depth there was to it.All the classes had some unique traits in combat that really felt satisfying.I'm a melee-always kinda guy but this was the first time i enjoyed and had so much fun with a sorcerer/mage.

Another thing was the feeling of being on a quest with your companions that very few games managed to perfect it as good as DD did.The world felt dangerous and you had to plan well before you went out from your base (at least early in the game and
post-game/BBI

The Pawn system was also a brilliant and very unique idea that i hope if they ever make a sequel they try to built upon it and improve it.

The game definitely has a fair amount of faults and a lot of room for improvements in a potential sequel but man,the things it does right easily outweight all of its flaws for me.

When you are in the Rift, keep cycling through the L1/R1 taps, you can see their Online ID.

I checked that but the suppossed "users" of the "fake" pawns also have online IDs.It's just that you can't see their profiles (games,friends etc) but that may be because they have made their profiles private.
I'm sure there was a better way to find out back in the PS3 version...

Ferr986

Combat, mostly. If you only fought Cyclops you basically didn't fight the big baddies yet. It's the only open world game with such fun and smooth combat (Horizon comes close on bow gameplay but still doesn't have the melee of this game).

I also like that the world is harsh, especially night, being totally pitch black (almost no dev have the guts to make pitch black nights) with lots of dangers. And the DLC just elevates the combat.

If you play DD for the story, quests and characters then yeah, the game is lacking in that regard IMO. It's just that gameplay is so good, especially compared to the other open world RPGs.

Nameless

Mage at Level 20 and still only at rank 6. Should I go ahead and switch to Sorcerer or stick it out for the rank 9 augments(or come back to Mage and get them later)?

I see a lot of people do mage until 10 and Sorcerer from then on out.

If anyone wants to get more discipline points you can get the ring of perseverance from Bitterblack Isle at the start of the game.

Feels so good to get back into this game. I got about 3/4 through on 360 a few years ago but never finished.

PSN ID: leadmonkey123
PS4
Pawn name: Cassandra
Pawn level: 8
Pawn vocation: Fighter
Additional details: Scather/Mitigator

Raxious

really tempting to get the game on PS4, really enjoyed the PS3 version but never finished it.

I remember back in the day Assassin used to be pretty OP. That still the case? Love to be able to do melee, but also capable of using a bow when i feel like it.

Zeta Oni

really tempting to get the game on PS4, really enjoyed the PS3 version but never finished it.

I remember back in the day Assassin used to be pretty OP. That still the case? Love to be able to do melee, but also capable of using a bow when i feel like it.

It's still arguably the best vocation in the game, even post DA nerf.

Just not flat out broken like it was previously.

TheBlack12elve

Neo Member
kMlaCUjFxj62uMhP2

XBL Gamertag TheBlack12elve
Platform XB1
Pawn Name Lyn-Silva
Pawn Level 23(as of this post)
Pawn Vocation Mage
Additional details: Support/Healer

Currently equipped with only one attack spell- High Brontide

High Anodyne
Halidom
Elemental buffs- all
Ethereal buffs- none
Equanimity
Beatitude
Perpetuation

Raising points to add party defense buff shortly.

Dunkelgrau

Guys, I'm currently giving this game a second try (first one was on my PS3), but I didn't understand it again after all those years.

I currently have a mage, Level 16 and three pawns with the same level.

There is this first big enemy in "Lure of the Abyss", right? That one which likes girls a lot. I mainly use "Fire Affinity" and that kind of stuff, but I have no real chance here.

On the other hand, I took all the quest from the boards and most of the areas in which I have to go are enemies which are to hard for me, too. So I do not have a clue how to level up for "Lure of the Abyss".

Ferr986

Assassin has very good augments for certain aspects (going alone, going at night time) that make him deadly.

For me, while on regular gameplay with pawns and normal times I like Strider better, but just because I enjoy some of his skills better. Ranger IMO is the best/easier against bosses thanks to Tenfold Flurry with Periats and explosive arrows (for farming BBI DLC).

At the end it all comes of what you want to do, like Magick Archer not being that good in open world but open in BBI corridors. The balance is very good in this game, especially when you use a pawn to take up on your weakness.

]blacky[;251254970 said:
Guys, I'm currently giving this game a second try (first one was on my PS3), but I didn't understand it again after all those years.

I currently have a mage, Level 16 and three pawns with the same level.

There is this first big enemy in "Lure of the Abyss", right? That one which likes girls a lot. I mainly use "Fire Affinity" and that kind of stuff, but I have no real chance here.

On the other hand, I took all the quest from the boards and most of the areas in which I have to go are enemies which are to hard for me, too. So I do not have a clue how to level up for "Lure of the Abyss".

The Ogre there is a pretty high level monster and it's optional, you can use the different paths to avoid him. He may fall off to his death too while fighting him. But yeah expect him to take a lot of time if you want to kill him. Aim for his head.

sublimit

Banned
Does anyone knows how to set the item hot keys?

In game options menu the control type A for example says it's L1 + R1 + d-pad but that doesn't work.I tried other control types and they don't work either. Am i doing something wrong?

Meneses

Does anyone knows how to set the item hot keys?

In game options menu the control type A for example says it's L1 + R1 + d-pad but that doesn't work.I tried other control types and they don't work either. Am i doing something wrong?

To set them, go into your items, click Confirm on the one you want and you should see the Triangle button saying "assign to hotkey".

After that's done, then you can use the L1+R1+direction to use it.

Zeta Oni

So how would you rank the vocations?

Well they all have their advantages in certain areas. The game encourages you to try them all out eventually.

But with that said, in my opinion:

Amazing:
Ranger
Magick Archer
Assassin

Great:
Strider
Sorcerer

Good:
Fighter
Mystic Knight

eh:
Mage

Bad:
Warrior (limited to 3 skills, slow, most powerful moves take much more planning, has no range, best stat growth is in an area you should need less and less as you improve at the game, etc.) Is also my favorite vocation btw.

Talk to Inn-keeper (or the NPC in DLC area), select "Change Vocation", L1/R1 to switch between you and Pawn. You will need Discipline Point (dcp) to unlock vocations and skills/augments.

Does this unlock after a certain point in the story. The inn keeper at the starting town doesn't have this option.

Another question. What is core skill? What's the difference to say, weapon skill or augmentation? How do you get secret augments?

Staf

Hmm, really thinking of switching to Magic archer. I'm lvl 15 Strider. It's probably bad planning but screw min/maxing, i'm playing what's fun.

Zeta Oni

Does this unlock after a certain point in the story. The inn keeper at the starting town doesn't have this option.

Another question. What is core skill? What's the difference to say, weapon skill or augmentation? How do you get secret augments?

Yes, you can change once you get to the city of Gran Soren.

Core skills are skills that add new and vocation specific moves, such as adding new combo strings, altering the way you jump, etc.

Augmentations are passive skills that start off vocation specific, but once unlocked, can be used by any vocation.

Secret augments are randomly unlocked in Bitterblack Isle, the games DLC area, by picking up certain cursed treasures and having the curse removed.

Top Bottom