• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen PS4/XB1 |OT| They're master ports all, you can't go wrong

HenryEen

Banned
Yeah, as you progress through the story, various sidequests become unavailable/are automatically cancelled. A few run all the way through the game (an early one for a merchant is an example), but for the most part, the main story is in steps/stages.

The only real things you can miss from what I remember are a merchant, who you need to do two sidequests for to unlock as a permanent merchant, and a whole area of the game (not a big area mind you, but it's a cool one). A lot of the character development stuff happens in sidequests though, so you should try to do as many as possible.

Thank you ! Will definitely keep an eye for any missable content !

kubus

I use this guide to keep track of cut-off points for missable side quests. It's relatively spoiler-free and easy to look up what quests will be gone forever if you proceed with the next story mission.

I just wish I used it sooner. Already missed around 3 quests in Cassardis before I remembered this game was really annoying with missable quests :(

Thank you ! Will definitely keep an eye for any missable content !

The Quests page on the Dragon's Dogma wiki clearly details when sidequests are available and locked, but I'm on mobile, and the mobile version of it isn't as clear.

It spoils quest names, and how many there are, but that's it.

An update on my pawn since what's on the first page is outdated:

PSN ID: humbleboy13
Pawn name: Arys
Pawn level: 81
Pawn vocation: Ranger
Additional details: Challenger/ Scather; (I still haven't progressed the story enough in order to unlock a neutralizing elixir so she has Scather instead of mitigator) If you're going to add me, please tell me your GAF name.

Take her out on your adventures and get me some beastiary knowledge and lots of RC.

d9b

Banned
I use this guide to keep track of cut-off points for missable side quests. It's relatively spoiler-free and easy to look up what quests will be gone forever if you proceed with the next story mission.

I just wish I used it sooner. Already missed around 3 quests in Cassardis before I remembered this game was really annoying with missable quests :(

I'll need this link for NG+
Thanks!

The Quests page on the Dragon's Dogma wiki clearly details when sidequests are available and locked, but I'm on mobile, and the mobile version of it isn't as clear.

It spoils quest names, and how many there are, but that's it.

Set view as desktop in browser menu, it actually better on mobile than the mobile view.

SkylineRKR

This game is too awesome. I'm supposed to pick up Shadow of War and TEW2. But I put those on hold. I don't want to quit this game yet.

Loved the Griffin mission. The bandits were the hardest enemies in the game for me so far, I booted out and did some other missions first. Leveled up twice, kicked a Strider out for another Ranger besides myself, came back and steamrolled them. The golem and boss in this mission were jokes, sadly, though its my favourite boss fight yet. Did it at night and it looked awesome.

Now temporarily using Fighter, to get to Rank 5.

Out of the 4 Vocations I used so far, I think Ranger is my fave actually. Constantly thinking of a current-gen DD2 being a possible GOTG.

This game is too awesome. I'm supposed to pick up Shadow of War and TEW2. But I put those on hold. I don't want to quit this game yet.

Loved the Griffin mission. The bandits were the hardest enemies in the game for me so far, I booted out and did some other missions first. Leveled up twice, kicked a Strider out for another Ranger besides myself, came back and steamrolled them. The golem and boss in this mission were jokes, sadly, though its my favourite boss fight yet. Did it at night and it looked awesome.

Out of the 4 Vocations I used so far, I think Ranger is my fave actually. Constantly thinking of a current-gen DD2 being a possible GOTG.

That was hilarious as a Mystic Knight. From what I read, you're supposed to
head over to Bluemoon Tower to continue the fight
, but I just absolutely destroyed it with a fire buffed Great Cannon.

Seems like the Fun is just starting,
Wait until you get post game then Bitter black island.

Hybrid classes will become available to you soon I'm guessing,
magic archers and Assasins will really amp the fun.

don't forget that at night time other creatures come out that don't normally hang out in day time.

as for myself I went straight to Bitter black island, I haven't even killed the hydra yet.

It's been a blast, game feels completely new and looks awesome (especially bitter black island)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know if there is a way to get to gran soren
before the hydra fight?

I was able to glitch through the wall by the right side of the main gate,
but I have not been able to do so through the main gate.

any tips let me know.

Seems like the Fun is just starting,
Wait until you get post game then Bitter black island.

Hybrid classes will become available to you soon I'm guessing,
magic archers and Assasins will really amp the fun.

don't forget that at night time other creatures come out that don't normally hang out in day time.

as for myself I went straight to Bitter black island, I haven't even killed the hydra yet.

It's been a blast, game feels completely new and looks awesome (especially bitter black island)
I know you're over leveled right now. I still haven't even started the mission to fight the dragon and I'm level 81 because of BBI.

edukate

Incase any fellow gaffers are seeking a support mage:

PSN ID: LuckyDoobage
Pawn name: Aya
Pawn level: 48
Pawn vocation: Mage
Additional details: healer/ enchanter

How does the inventory system work? Like if I need a item to combine or w/e will it take items stored in my inventory from the inn? Or do I have to carry everything around? I’m still working on getting sinew and was trying to lighten my current load.

How do you manage your inventory?

Pawn update since it's been a while and my last post is several pages ago. I don't have a picture handy, but I have her tastefully clothed, decked out in mostly alchemical clothing. Also has barbed nails, not the common baleful ones but the kind that have 100+ knockdown/stagger. Hope she serves you well!

PSN ID: Optimus_Prime
Pawn name: Elsa
Pawn level: 39
Pawn vocation: Strider
Additional details: Elsa will eventually be a sorcerer, but she's a strider for now. When you add me, please do mention Gaf or Dragon's Dogma. Thanks!
Offense: Strength - Primary 319 (Scalding Razors), Secondary 368 (Pleached Limbs) Defense: 365, Magick 347
Skills: Primary - Hundred Kisses, Skull Splitter, Shearing Wind; Secondary - Fivefold Flurry, Downpour Volley, Fracture Dart
Augments: Sinew, Bastion, Eminence, Arm-Strength, Dexterity, Awareness
Inclination: Utilitarian, Scather, Challenger

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Pawn update since it's been a while and my last post is several pages ago. I don't have a picture handy, but I have her tastefully clothed, decked out in mostly alchemical clothing. Also has barbed nails, not the common baleful ones but the kind that have 100+ knockdown/stagger. Hope she serves you well!

PSN ID: Optimus_Prime
Pawn name: Elsa
Pawn level: 39
Pawn vocation: Strider
Additional details: Elsa will eventually be a sorcerer, but she's a strider for now. When you add me, please do mention Gaf or Dragon's Dogma. Thanks!
Offense: Strength - Primary 319 (Scalding Razors), Secondary 368 (Pleached Limbs) Defense: 365, Magick 347
Skills: Primary - Hundred Kisses, Skull Splitter, Shearing Wind; Secondary - Fivefold Flurry, Downpour Volley, Fracture Dart
Augments: Sinew, Bastion, Eminence, Arm-Strength, Dexterity, Awareness
Inclination: Utilitarian, Scather, Challenger

I've been using her, hehe.

Kensuke

I've updated my pawn a lot as well.

PSN ID: Wretched_Walrus
Pawn Name: Abby
Pawn Level: 66-70
Pawn Vocation: Sorcerer
Addition details: Decked out in BB1 lvl. 1 gear now. Used to be a strider, so she has very decent health, defense and stamina. The change in class seems to bring me a lot less RC now, could use some hires. Utalitarian, Challenger.

Based on the way this runs on PC, how likely is the XBX version to be native 4K (or CB at least)?

Tempted to wait for the X version after seeing 4K screenshots in the PC thread. But sometimes those shots aren’t possible at a steady 30 FPS.

Abylim

Just got wrecked by Daimon second form as a sorcerer

Went MA and destroyed him. Holy shit. I have been struggling with this play through as a MA and Sorc, just nkt really enjoying it. But the MA has some ridiculous abilities. Ninefold bolt just melts shit. If they are Magick resistant just pop some demons periapts and who gives a shit

I think I’m gunna head over to hard mode now. My BBI level 3 weps keep turning into shit. Changed my vocation thinking I’ll give my fighter some gear, and it turned into Magick knight shit and warrior shit. Bah.

Feels good though. Daimon awaken down.

Just got wrecked by Daimon second form as a sorcerer

Went MA and destroyed him. Holy shit. I have been struggling with this play through as a MA and Sorc, just nkt really enjoying it. But the MA has some ridiculous abilities. Ninefold bolt just melts shit. If they are Magick resistant just pop some demons periapts and who gives a shit

I think I’m gunna head over to hard mode now. My BBI level 3 weps keep turning into shit. Changed my vocation thinking I’ll give my fighter some gear, and it turned into Magick knight shit and warrior shit. Bah.

Feels good though. Daimon awaken down.
Oh shit, throw some BBI level 3 weapons my way.

Brakke

Banned
Had a lame experience with this game today. I hadn't played in a week or so with traveling and then Stardew Valley hitting Switch. Fired it up today with the mission to go below the capitol to the Everfall or whatever. "Fought" an Ogre. He was fighting with my main squire up against a ledge, no idea what exactly happened but both ended up falling over the ledge before I really did any damage to the Ogre.

So I didn't really get to fight the Ogre. And then my Squire was downed like three turns of this huge spiral stair down, screaming about how she can't move. Ends up expiring before I can finally get down to the bottom to revive her, then I'm attacking by some unbeatable tentacles and just have to run straight back up the stair mindlessly to escape. Back at the top, I have no idea what my next main quest is, almost all my quests are "kill X of Y monster".

I was excited to see what was up with this Everfall, but the encounter ended up being a wet fart, and now I'm totally clueless on where to go next. Whatever momentum I tried to build up today just fizzled out.

people

Back at the top, I have no idea what my next main quest is, almost all my quests are "kill X of Y monster".

When you arrived back at the surface, didn't you get a cutscene
with a messenger
?
On the Pause Menu screen you can press Square to get an idea about your main quest.

d9b

Banned
Had a lame experience with this game today. I hadn't played in a week or so with traveling and then Stardew Valley hitting Switch. Fired it up today with the mission to go below the capitol to the Everfall or whatever. "Fought" an Ogre. He was fighting with my main squire up against a ledge, no idea what exactly happened but both ended up falling over the ledge before I really did any damage to the Ogre.

So I didn't really get to fight the Ogre. And then my Squire was downed like three turns of this huge spiral stair down, screaming about how she can't move. Ends up expiring before I can finally get down to the bottom to revive her, then I'm attacking by some unbeatable tentacles and just have to run straight back up the stair mindlessly to escape. Back at the top, I have no idea what my next main quest is, almost all my quests are "kill X of Y monster".

I was excited to see what was up with this Everfall, but the encounter ended up being a wet fart, and now I'm totally clueless on where to go next. Whatever momentum I tried to build up today just fizzled out.

Did you talk to Ser Maximilian?
(He's in the noble quarter)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The game can be very stupid in terms of its quests.

Like for example, the Cypher quest, when you are expected to find someone not marked by the game running around in Gran Soren whose existence the game does not even clue you in. That shit was terrible.

Or the ludicrousness of
the young queen saying that she loves you only after one meeting
, LOL. Or how you can just reenter the castle even
after being thrown into jail for allegedly seducing the queen and escaping from it, and none of the characters inside, not even the king himself, would react
, lol.

Hulohot

Neo Member
If anyone is looking for a healing buffing and curing pawn, I have a rather well reviewed mage to rent.

She is immortal, as she uses the staff that she can use to revive herself. Very useful for any early/under levelled Bitterblack Isle visitors like myself.

Anyone who wants to recruit my pawn:

PSN ID- Glastriel
Platform: Ps4
Class: Mage
Level: 50 ish
Name: Athena
Specialization- cannot die, healing, buffs, curing. Dragon forged cape!

She's great so far, almost instantly revive herself when she is downed, so she is very reliable!

OTIX

The ogre is quite difficult at this point in the game and luring it into charging off the ledge is the recommended strategy. Don't worry about your pawn missing out on xp, if they fall behind the Arisen in levels their xp gain will be greatly boosted to catch up. This quest is just a quick look at the Everfall, an area that will be very important later on. The main quest will continue as soon as you exit the pawns guild. You can go back into the Everfall if you'd like to continue exploring, the eyes will not be back anytime soon.

d9b

Banned
Wolves hunt in packs, people ! IN PACKS!!!!
j31YJ.jpg

WITHE1982

Anyone know if there is a way to get to gran soren
before the hydra fight?

I know I've done it just after the hydra fight (without activating the head delivery quest) by taking a left from Cassardis, past Aernst Castle and north to Ancient Quarry South entrance. Go through (quarry shortcut) and you'll come out of the North entrance, just a little West of Gran Soren

Full map below so maybe a bit spoilerish for new comers...

http://dl.gamesradar.com/guides/Gransys Map.jpg

theDeeDubs

The first time around I was mainly a Magic Archer and Mystic Knight. This time around I've gone back and forth between Strider and Assassin. Had a blast with these two vocation.

Speaking of pawns, I've had no luck this time around with mine. I've been leveling up him as a warrior at these levels and no one seems to rent them out. When I played at original release, he was mainly a mage, and I was drowning in rc. I assume most people play melee/dps for their main and pawn like they do in MMOs. Mage and Sorc are probably the most rented out. I don't even look at how pawns look when I'm renting them. I usually grab a mage and strider/sorc and search and summon based on their skill sets. You can usually tell who knows what they're doing by what skills they have loaded on their pawns.

Audioboxer

Man the end game grind for armour and rings is brutal lol. I'm loving how BBI pushes up the insanity after it's first run through. Bitterblack isle level 3 packages are balls though.

I have 3 pieces of the tier 1 armour for my sorcerer pawn but can't get the cape or legs to drop. Keep getting dupes. I don't even want to try the grind for the tier 2 pieces, haven't had 1 drop lol.

Rings are shit. I have one I need for my main character, but I must have about 20+ dupes or not needed rings in pursuit of the second one I need.

RNG, you bitch.

Shengar

Explosive Rivet/Volley works like a charm.
So physical only vocations are fucked huh?

Glad I'm just changed mine to sorcerer again today so Cursed Dragon shouldn't take forever to take anymore more.
So is there a quick way to level? Because I'm like 59 and past the second big Boss of BBI and things are starting to get a little too real for me. Doesn't really help that I have outdated gear too but I haven't found anything useful yet.
Are you using high level pawns from your friendlist? Because if you do, they significantly reduce your received experience point. If not, then BBI isn't for under level 90 characters anyway speaking from my own experience. Anyway here's tips for quick level gain:

1. Always hired pawns that at least equal to your level. Since Pawns usefulness determined by their inclination, and skills, lower level Pawns with the right setup can be preferable to bring even when you outlevel them by 20 (especially for ranged class Pawns since they can avoid damage much better). Lower level Pawns grants you bonus experience gain, which mean faster leveling. So if you happened to hire a very useful pawn, you shouldn't worry on replacing them soon since you are actually rewarded indirectly by keeping them around longer.

2. (Post game spoiler)
Fight in The Everfall. Seriously, people are too often skipped them (me included) in favor of BBI because the latter offered better loot. While it's true, BBI is designed to be tackled after you have done with The Everfall. It provides you with vast arrays of bosses which includes drake, wyrm, and archydras that gives tons of experience point when you kill them. The fact that Everfall lies inside Gransys makes it a none hassle to farm them for experience by resetting the world spawn via sleeping for 3 days. Plus, The Everfall will gives you fucktons of Wakestone which becomes your primary source of income whether you are in Normal or Hardmode.

3. Make sure you have Blessed Flower from Quina's questline and had it copied at least once by The Scrivener. The Weal effect essentially makesyou gain the twice exp from a single enemy. At level below 70 or so, killing the Drake at Devilfire Groves and some cyclops should enough to gain you a level. If you don't have it because you missed the quest, then tough luck and I suggest you to start with NG+ anyway. Veteran's Periapt have the same Weal effect, and while you can buy it infinitely from Fournival, it only lasted for a measly 5 minutes. Its short duration makes you need multiple Veteran's Periapt for every farming run, which is expensive in the long run because each costed for 25k gold. Meanwhile you can reset Blessed Flower by resting for 3 days as long as it's not wilted yet.

I kinda learned the hard way with BBI because I thought my overleveled pawn could carry me through it and level me up at the same time. It only makes the game unfun because either your enemy died instantly when your overleved hired pawn AI works, or extremely grueling when they doesn't since you can barely do any damage. To makes thing worse they cut your exp by significant amount which mean overall slower level gain. So in the end I dismiss my overlevel Pawns, hire new ones that closer to my level, go back to post-game dungeons, and I have fun ever since.
High Brontide is such a boss. High Fulmination is also pretty, but generally High Brontide is my go-to Lightning skill.

Fulmination is a joke. Makes me wonder why they even bother making it into the game in such state considering that:

-Have high initial cast time that renders you immobile
-Only hurts enemy in small area of your vicinity.
-Channeling and does not grants you with extra stagger resistance

All of that makes Fulmination near useless because most of the time enemy will get up before you can finish your first incantation and most of them can knock you off the ground, cancelling the spell altogether. Bolide have ultra high cast time and renders you immobile, but if you managed to pulled it, all of your effort wouldn't go because afterward it's fire and forget. Glicel is the same but even better because it had faster initial cast time. Fulmination isn't practical and useless when Levin and Brontide can do thunder damage work with relative ease and more risk free.

Audioboxer

So physical only vocations are fucked huh?

Glad I'm just changed mine to sorcerer again today so Cursed Dragon shouldn't take forever to take anymore more.

Are you using high level pawns from your friendlist? Because if you do, they significantly reduce your received experience point. If not, then BBI isn't for under level 90 characters anyway speaking from my own experience. Anyway here's tips for quick level gain:

1. Always hired pawns that at least equal to your level. Since Pawns usefulness determined by their inclination, and skills, lower level Pawns with the right setup can be preferable to bring even when you outlevel them by 20 (especially for ranged class Pawns since they can avoid damage much better). Lower level Pawns grants you bonus experience gain, which mean faster leveling. So if you happened to hire a very useful pawn, you shouldn't worry on replacing them soon since you are actually rewarded indirectly by keeping them around longer.

2. (Post game spoiler)
Fight in The Everfall. Seriously, people are too often skipped them (me included) in favor of BBI because the latter offered better loot. While it's true, BBI is designed to be tackled after you have done with The Everfall. It provides you with vast arrays of bosses which includes drake, wyrm, and archydras that gives tons of experience point when you kill them. The fact that Everfall lies inside Gransys makes it a none hassle to farm them for experience by resetting the world spawn via sleeping for 3 days. Plus, The Everfall will gives you fucktons of Wakestone which becomes your primary source of income whether you are in Normal or Hardmode.

3. Make sure you have Blessed Flower from Quina's questline and had it copied at least once by The Scrivener. The Weal effect essentially makesyou gain the twice exp from a single enemy. At level below 70 or so, killing the Drake at Devilfire Groves and some cyclops should enough to gain you a level. If you don't have it because you missed the quest, then tough luck and I suggest you to start with NG+ anyway. Veteran's Periapt have the same Weal effect, and while you can buy it infinitely from Fournival, it only lasted for a measly 5 minutes. Its short duration makes you need multiple Veteran's Periapt for every farming run, which is expensive in the long run because each costed for 25k gold. Meanwhile you can reset Blessed Flower by resting for 3 days as long as it's not wilted yet.

I kinda learned the hard way with BBI because I thought my overleveled pawn could carry me through it and level me up at the same time. It only makes the game unfun because either your enemy died instantly when your overleved hired pawn AI works, or extremely grueling when they doesn't since you can barely do any damage. To makes thing worse they cut your exp by significant amount which mean overall slower level gain. So in the end I dismiss my overlevel Pawns, hire new ones that closer to my level, go back to post-game dungeons, and I have fun ever since.

Fulmination is a joke. Makes me wonder why they even bother making it into the game in such state considering that:

-Have high initial cast time that renders you immobile
-Only hurts enemy in small area of your vicinity.
-Channeling and does not grants you with extra stagger resistance

All of that makes Fulmination near useless because most of the time enemy will get up before you can finish your first incantation and most of them can knock you off the ground, cancelling the spell altogether. Bolide have ultra high cast time and renders you immobile, but if you managed to pulled it, all of your effort wouldn't go because afterward it's fire and forget. Glicel is the same but even better because it had faster initial cast time. Fulmination isn't practical and useless when Levin and Brontide can do thunder damage work with relative ease and more risk free.

High fulmination can be good if you have two sorcerers that cast it at once. A lot of the end game BBI groups favour 2 sorcerers for spell dual casting.

Maelstrom can be a PITA due to blacking out the screen but if you get a double cast of it, it can bloody wreck things. Even bosses.

Ferr986

I switched to Magick Archer recently. There's no going back... Love it ❤️

I always try to switch to it because it's the best class for BBI but I can't. It annoys me that a lot of bow skills has to be loaded like a spell...

Kensuke

Anyone willing to trade unpurified BBI lvl. 2 weapons between each other? I have two that aren't useful to me. Dying to get the Helmbarte daggers. :/

PSN: Wretched_Walrus

Shengar

High fulmination can be good if you have two sorcerers that cast it at once. A lot of the end game BBI groups favour 2 sorcerers for spell dual casting.

Maelstrom can be a PITA due to blacking out the screen but if you get a double cast of it, it can bloody wreck things. Even bosses.

Oh my god, really forget about the dual casting thing. Yes, if Fulmination cast time can be reduced beyond what Wyrm's Ring and Articulacy, it can be of use.

Anyway, another place for farming in BBI beside the post game main dungeon: Rotunda of Dread. Pros: you don't need to rest for 3 days to reset enemy spawn nor the annoying get-into-the-dungeon; Cons: it doesn't give you fucktons of Wakestone for easy bucks.

SkylineRKR

The game can be very stupid in terms of its quests.

Like for example, the Cypher quest, when you are expected to find someone not marked by the game running around in Gran Soren whose existence the game does not even clue you in. That shit was terrible.

Or the ludicrousness of
the young queen saying that she loves you only after one meeting
, LOL. Or how you can just reenter the castle even
after being thrown into jail for allegedly seducing the queen and escaping from it, and none of the characters inside, not even the king himself, would react
, lol.

That quest was incredibly dumb. I got thrown into jail again some time later and had to pay a bribe. But no one acted weird before that.

I don't get why people do this. I want my pawns to assist me, not kill everything leaving me nothing to do.

Audioboxer

Oh my god, really forget about the dual casting thing. Yes, if Fulmination cast time can be reduced beyond what Wyrm's Ring and Articulacy, it can be of use.

Anyway, another place for farming in BBI beside the post game main dungeon: Rotunda of the Dread. Pros: you don't need to rest for 3 days to reset enemy spawn nor the annoying get-into-the-dungeon; Cons: it doesn't give you fucktons of Wakestone for easy bucks.

Any bosses needed killed to get access to rotunda? I can't remember. I'm still only level 67 so upgraded BBI on normal for me is still a bit of a challenge. Mostly doing chest runs for gear and armor to try and get it upgraded.

Top Bottom