• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age 4 Development Team Is “Making Progress”

Mista

Banned
dragon-age-4-768x432.jpg

Recently, executive producer Mark Darrah took to Twitter to share some brief new details.

Following reiterating the obvious – that the game is in development – Darrah noted that BioWare is working on the game remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, before adding that development under work-from-home requirements has been “harder”. Nonetheless, Darrah said that the development team is “making progress” on the upcoming RPG.

Madflavor

Bioware should do everyone a favor. Instead of shooting themselves repeatedly in the kneecaps, the dick, and the gut, just shoot yourself in the head now and get it over with. Enough with the slow death, your company fucking sucks, and all your talent has left you. Your buildings are only occupied by hacks who think they're rock stars, and a bunch of interns.

I never forgave them for Mass effect 3, and how they handled the backlash. Fuck Casey Hudson, Mac Walters, and Mike Gamble. You took what was far and away the most interesting new Sci-Fi IP we've had in years, an IP that had so much promise and potential to grow, and you took a giant hot shit all over it. Then make us wait five years for a sequel that was somehow way more embarrassing.

This used to be a company that pushed the envelope for storytelling and RPGs. Now they chase after what's popular, but by the time they release the game, not only does it come off as pale imitation, but also outdated.

Larian Studios are the successors to to Old Bioware as far as I'm concerned. BioWare has hit rock bottom so hard they're pretty much irrelevant. So many game studios have been killing it these past few years and pushing the envelope, that whenever I hear news about BioWare, I'm reminded that they still exist.

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
For a lot of people I imagine it goes like this,

Andromeda > Anthem > 3 strikes & you're out.

So, take your time with this one Bioware. Come back strong.

Edit: Or like Madflavor Madflavor said, if you're gonna die just fuckin die already!:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited by a moderator:

Andodalf

Banned
Inquisition was a great game, and ended up being one of the better Western RPGs of the generation. High hopes that BioWare turns their last few outing around here. Crazy that Inquisition actually launched cross gen, and we won’t see this game until we’ll into next gen.

TwistedSyn

I have no hope for Bioware anymore. I had a feel once the Doctor's left that shit would go south. I guess my gut feeling was correct.

Fuck EA.

-Arcadia-

Banned
"We are making progress" might be the most non-committal reassurance of successful game development I've ever read.

Not even good progress. But they're definitely doing things.

Joking aside, if they put the ideology aside, have learned from the failings of their development processes/exec interference (this one is a bit more difficult, given its on EA) and want to deliver a genuinely great game, my best to them.

levyjl1988

Banned
I would love to play as the Warden again in the new Dragon Age game after he/she has been through, it would be good to step in the shoes of someone quite familiar. I'm not talking about the Champion of Kirkwall nor the Inquisitor, both protagonists suck compared to the Warden of Fereldan.

drganon

Not getting my hopes up. Only the first game was decent. 2 and inquisition were crap and the way bioware has gone downhill overall since Me3, I have little to no confidence this game will be good. That's assuming it ever comes out at all.

Andodalf

Banned
I would love to play as the Warden again in the new Dragon Age game after he/she has been through, it would be good to step in the shoes of someone quite familiar. I'm not talking about the Champion of Kirkwall nor the Inquisitor, both protagonists suck compared to the Warden of Fereldan.

Would be tough to do with some endings

Madflavor

Not getting my hopes up. Only the first game was decent. 2 and inquisition were crap and the way bioware has gone downhill overall since Me3, I have little to no confidence this game will be good. That's assuming it ever comes out at all.

I mean I wouldn't say decent. Dragon Age Origins is one of the better Western RPGs ever made. The story was your standard high fantasy tale about a hero destroying an ancient evil, but the characters and the world building is what really made the story great. The first hour of the game is completely different depending on what background you pick, and there are so many different paths and variations to the story and the ending depending on how you played it. It was great.

It's why Dragon Age II was so fucking jarring. The whole time I was playing that game I kept waiting to leave Kirkwall and begin my journey.

Andodalf

Banned
I mean I wouldn't say decent. Dragon Age Origins is one of the better Western RPGs ever made. The story was your standard high fantasy tale about a hero destroying an ancient evil, but the characters and the world building is what really made the story great. The first hour of the game is completely different depending on what background you pick, and there are so many different paths and variations to the story and the ending depending on how you played it. It was great.

It's why Dragon Age II was so fucking jarring. The whole time I was playing that game I kept waiting to leave Kirkwall and begin my journey.

The problem with DA2 is that it isn’t a real DA2. They wanted to make Inquisition the whole time but EA demanded another game, so they made an action oriented spinoff and then EA made them title it DA2 which just confused the hell out of fans.

Pejo

Anyone expecting ANYTHING good from Bioware in modern days is lying to themselves. The modern employees have already been hammering on the "press S to spit" button of Bioware's desecrated corpse for years. Fuck that company.

Madflavor

The problem with DA2 is that it isn’t a real DA2. They wanted to make Inquisition the whole time but EA demanded another game, so they made an action oriented spinoff and then EA made them title it DA2 which just confused the hell out of fans.

Oh yeah I know the behind the scenes story with DA2.

I liked Inquisition but it definitely was inferior to Origins. The filler didn't nearly bother me as much as the lack of main story missions. There was no grand final battle either where all the choices and armies you built come together for an epic confrontation with the enemy. The villain just shows up on you doorstep and you kick his ass. The second half feels rushed.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Oh yeah I know the behind the scenes story with DA2.

I liked Inquisition but it definitely was inferior to Origins. The filler didn't nearly bother me as much as the lack of main story missions. There was no grand final battle either where all the choices and armies you built come together for an epic confrontation with the enemy. The villain just shows up on you doorstep and you kick his ass. The second half feels rushed.

I feel like the core narrative wasn’t as strong, and didn’t feel as consequential, but for me the DLC made up for it. I also really like how “Big” Inquisition felt, mostly becuse of it not just being in Ferelden, and the Qunari and Imperium having larger roles than the first game

Madflavor

I feel like the core narrative wasn’t as strong, and didn’t feel as consequential, but for me the DLC made up for it. I also really like how “Big” Inquisition felt, mostly becuse of it not just being in Ferelden, and the Qunari and Imperium having larger roles than the first game

Agreed on the DLC, and yeah I loved how big the game was too, even if a lot of the exploration was fairly simple. The game got a lot of unnecessary flack once The Witcher 3 came out. I love The Witcher 3, but Inquisition is a good game on its own right. I think a lot of people are realizing that now.

Daymos

You guys have too much raw emotion over these types of situations. I feel like you rant and hate companies, but then with the correct hype and advertising you'll cave and excitedly buy it anyways, but then if there's some big flaw that the 'internet' finds you'll burn the game and rant like a madman all over again. There's SO MANY games out there now, no reason to put so much weight on just a few titles.

I plan to just chill out and if dragon age 4 scores better than a 7 or so I'll buy it when it's like $20. No reason to think much about it for a few years yet. Even if everyone else hates it, it might be one of my favorite games.. or it might just suck. Either way I'm not giving EA 60 bucks (or more).

Skifi28

So you're telling me a game in development is....in development? And here I thought they were on a 6 month vacation. That news sure hyped me up.

Andodalf

Banned
Why its taken them 6 years to make a dragon age sequel is beyond me. Maybe even ten if this comes out in 2024

Cus BioWare is a mess and kept moving teams to other games, so much that original plans and work for the game had to be scrapped, possibly multiple times. Insane levels of Mis management lol

Hudo

Does that mean we'll get another montage of short in-progress game footage with interviews and the like this year? Since Andrew Wilson took over as CEO, EA has done quite a lot of that.

supernova8

Banned
dragon-age-4-768x432.jpg

Recently, executive producer Mark Darrah took to Twitter to share some brief new details.

Following reiterating the obvious – that the game is in development – Darrah noted that BioWare is working on the game remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, before adding that development under work-from-home requirements has been “harder”. Nonetheless, Darrah said that the development team is “making progress” on the upcoming RPG.

They should've had almost a year to adjust to working from home. If you cannot adjust to working from by now maybe you never will.

JayK47

Very capable hands? Good one. I will be surprised if I ever enjoy another Bioware game again. I just do not think they can pull it off anymore. Anthem was just so bland and boring and after what I am seeing with Mass Effect Legendary Edition, it is clear to me that any talent that was there has left.

Madflavor

Game is probably under very poor management. I'm sure direction and vision has been changed multiple times, and if I had to guess they've entered the phase where they acknowledge the deadline and are pushing forward with what they got. Game will be the third mediocre/bad Bioware game in a row, and Mass Effect 5 will probably be their last hurrah that decides the future of the studio.

Over a decade ago these guys were pumping out quality games every couple years.

Top Bottom