• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age 4 is at least 3 years away.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://venturebeat.com/2018/12/04/dragon-age-4-2021/

BioWare chief Casey Hudson really wants to make a new Dragon Age role-playing game, so BioWare is doing exactly that. Sure, the studio continues to focus on Anthem. That cooperative online sci-fi shooter is due out February 22, and it has an alpha test starting this week, December 8. But Hudson wants to make sure you know that his team hasn’t forgotten about its roots — even if it may take until 2021 for you to return to them.

That led Hudson to post the following on the official BioWare blog, which he writes himself:

“If you’ve been following these blogs, or myself and Mark Darrah on Twitter, you know we’re also working on some secret Dragon Age stuff. Dragon Age is an incredibly important franchise in our studio, and we’re excited to continue its legacy. Look for more on this in the coming month (though I won’t tell you where to look …).”​

EA declined to comment on the details of this story.

Kreydo

I don't think a single RPG player is looking forward another Dragon Age or any EA game.
They demonstrated 4 times in a row with DA:2, DA:Inq, ME3 and ME:A they have absolutely not the talent or even the will to deliver something good.

Anyway Anthem will be the last nail in Bioware coffin.

Last edited:

royox

What a cockblock. I love the saga and the lore, was expecting the next game at least for 2020 T.T

I don't think a single RPG player is looking forward another Dragon Age or any EA game.
They demonstrated 4 times in a row with DA:2, DA:Inq, ME3 and ME:A they have absolutely not the talent or even the will to deliver something good.

I am. I liked all those games except DA2 and ME3's last 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Dada55000

"We had to start over because the game we were making for 3 years was cancelled and rebooted in 2017 and almost everyone is currently working on Anthem."

Not that I mind, whatever they were making was probably just DAI2.0, and that game was shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Wonder what GaaS abomination will come out at the end this project.

nowhat

What a cockblock. I love the saga and the lore, was expecting the next game at least for 2020 T.T
It's quite odd given that apparently it has been in development for quite some time - there have been some interesting hires too: https://www.pcgamer.com/former-sunless-sea-writer-confirms-that-a-new-dragon-age-is-in-the-works/

But I guess Anthem is where all of Bioware's focus is at the moment. Although I have pretty close to zero interest in that game, I hope it sells decent numbers, because I don't think there will be a next Dragon Age ever if it doesn't.

Kreydo

Subjective, I thought the last Dragon Age was pretty solid. Really had a nice Suikoden vibe to it.
Please no, subjectivity has a limit. A game is a product with code and mechanics, it's not abstract art... It's about intrinsic feature that MAKE a RPG, and if they are poorly executed then your game can't be concidered as a great RPG.(but OF course you can like/love it.)
It have nothing to do with taste and colors.

The Suikoden vibe with the casttle management in DA:I is dull and it's more Suikoden nostalgia than anything else.

Last edited:
DA-2.jpg

I have nothing but fond memories of Inquisition, afterall it won 2014 GOTY. The industry needs more than one competent fantasy setting RPG, so I'll be happy when the series returns in three years.

VertigoOA

Banned
I’m looking forward to anthem way more. I didn’t like inquisition one bit.

Also much prefer bioware games in the sci fi setting. The combat is less janky that way.

Also inquisition drove me nuts with how hard it tried to be a fender bender dating simulation. Fuck off and let me play the game. I do want to revisit it and finish it, I was in the like the last part of the campaign. But Witcher really shows the difference in quality — in every way from narrative to gameplay to everything.

I’m actually glad that by consequence of anthem being a online geared game that it removes the romance stuff. The gimmick was cool a few years ago but now I feel like that’s what people want most from these games...

Pallas

Please no, subjectivity has a limit. A game is a product with code and mechanics, it's not abstract art... It's about intrinsic feature that MAKE a RPG, and if they are poorly executed then your game can't be concidered as a great RPG.(but OF course you can like/love it.)
It have nothing to do with taste and colors.

The Suikoden vibe with the casttle management in DA:I is dull and it's more Suikoden nostalgia than anything else.

Not just the castle management but the political drama as well. We can agree to disagree about this though.

Kreydo

Not just the castle management but the political drama as well. We can agree to disagree about this though.
I have to admit i was way too bored by the 2 button combat, the fetch quest and subpar maps/world building for being interested by the 'politic' or supposed plot in the game.
Still i remember a fun quest/mission during a carnival.

The last Dragon Age game was loaded with fetch quests which ruined it for me. Not sure why its so hard to implement meaningful side quests these days.
It's not hard, TW3 did it perfectly, DA:I was just extremly lazy and the point was to cater to the low standard EA have for their base customers.

Last edited:
So sad to see the state that Bioware and Bethesda are in (at least in terms of creating RPGs) right now. I really hope they get their mojo back.

Kreydo

The Witcher, of course.
He was talking about triple A only? and anyway The Witcher III isn't even a great RPG, it's surely an incredible game but the RPG element fell short.
I don't think good RPG ever been AAA lol, Divinity Original Sin II must be the closest one.

Last edited:
DA-2.jpg

I have nothing but fond memories of Inquisition, afterall it won 2014 GOTY. The industry needs more than one competent fantasy setting RPG, so I'll be happy when the series returns in three years.

Same for me. I adored Inquisition. Trespasser is one of the best DLCs I have ever played.

Witcher 3 is the better game, but Inquisition is awesome. I care about Dragon Age a lot. I'd love a total Remake of 1, 2 and Inquisition in the same engine leading up to DA4.

xviper

i played DA:I for like an hour and dropped it due to the awful gameplay, if they are planning on a sequel they better make an enjoyable non-crappy gameplay

Kadayi

Banned
With that time frame they're probably talking post CP2077 release then. That could go against them in terms of comparison perception. Though obviously genre and group dynamics will be different. Still it does suggest that they'll be looking to take their time with it, so we should be in for something that hopefully goes beyond the traditional Bioware formula.

GermanZepp

The first DA was very good i liked a lot. DAI was pretty but filled with to many dull things to do and little cool stuff for example kill dragons.

Ar¢tos

So it's more wishful thinking than a confirmation.
I still think EA is going to take Bioware to a farm up north to visit cousins Maxis and Bullfrog right after Anthem releases.

royox

DA-2.jpg

My major problems with DA:I for me are the whole SJW pandering the game constantly pukes at your face and not being able to bang Harding.

Also the "final" boss was totally a "literally who?" for me as I hated DA2 and never got the DLCs. Inquisition DLC btw were amazing, I LOVE everything involving Dwarven in this universe and the last one set up the next game and hyped me to the sun.

Fbh

Good.
For better or worse they definitely have their A team working on Anthem. If we get another Dragon Age I want them to try and make it as good as possible and if Andromeda is any sign, then giving it to the inexperienced B team isn't the way

Last edited:

nowhat

Also the "final" boss was totally a "literally who?" for me as I hated DA2 and never got the DLCs. Inquisition DLC btw were amazing, I LOVE everything involving Dwarven in this universe and the last one set up the next game and hyped me to the sun.
Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction as well, as someone who didn't get any of the DA2 DLC. But ultimately... was he really the antagonist? Or just a pawn for that other guy - not to spoil anything, but that after credits scene/Trespasser - you know who I'm talking about.

Trespasser was fantastic and plot-wise the series is in a very good position for a decent sequel. Whether Bioware manages to pull it off (and whether EA lets them) remains to be seen.

Pallas

My major problems with DA:I for me are the whole SJW pandering the game constantly pukes at your face and not being able to bang Harding.

The final boss, which one? Vanilla DA:I or Trespasser dlc?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Anthem is going to kill the company anyway, so no worries, this bastardized version of BioWare is not long for the world.

If it’s that far off, why even show it now? I have no idea why developers do that. FF7 Remake, I’m looking at you mostly.

I must be the only one who thought Mass Effect 3 was good.

Dada55000

I must be the only one who thought Mass Effect 3 was good.
Lots of people like it. The TPS gameplay is fine. It's fun. But the narrative is garbage. The writing, the dialogue. Even under a moderate amount of scrutiny, it falls apart. But then the people that like the game turn around and say "no u, game is one of the greatest ever, only the ending suck". That's why people keep shitting on it, it exists in bizarro world where all the legitimate, cripling, fundamental issues people bring up about the story and storytelling, are ignored. It's like if 50 Shades of Gray or Twilight was constantly proclaimed as great literacy.

Top that of with the game the bad eavesdrop sidequests and whatnot, mechanical and design issues that exist due to the game being rushed, and you get why people complain.

Lots of people like it. The TPS gameplay is fine. It's fun. But the narrative is garbage. The writing, the dialogue. Even under a moderate amount of scrutiny, it falls apart. But then the people that like the game turn around and say "no u, game is one of the greatest ever, only the ending suck". That's why people keep shitting on it, it exists in bizarro world where all the legitimate, cripling, fundamental issues people bring up about the story and storytelling, are ignored. It's like if 50 Shades of Gray or Twilight was constantly proclaimed as great literacy.

Top that of with the game the bad eavesdrop sidequests and whatnot, mechanical and design issues that exist due to the game being rushed, and you get why people complain.

Fair points. Despite all of that, I still enjoyed it though. I liked Andromeda as well, but mass effect 3 was at least better than that.

Bkdk

BioWare is struggling to survive right now. Also single player open world rpg is the hardest type of game to make, its gonna get even harder when next gen arrives. Don’t think BioWare has what it takes anymore for dragon age 4, unless they decide to go back to Dragon age origins’ top down focus, that might be possible.

Arachnid

BioWare is struggling to survive right now. Also single player open world rpg is the hardest type of game to make, its gonna get even harder when next gen arrives. Don’t think BioWare has what it takes anymore for dragon age 4, unless they decide to go back to Dragon age origins’ top down focus, that might be possible.
Honestly, after the reception to Anthem and Andromeda (and Inquisition to a much lesser degree), I'm hoping they're taking this time to really reevaluate their game development process. I don't want them to die off. BioWare has disappointed the hell out of me these past few years, but they earned enough good will from Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom