• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition – 30 Minutes Of Gameplay Footage Leaked

StUnNeR H2K

This on 360?

If so it will be interesting to see it on next gen. Also pre-Alpha footage, so I would expect some changes to a lot of what we see (visually).

Loved DAO, was okay with DA2, but hopefully things shift a bit back towards the DAO style.

They really seem to have taken their time with this one after the half-baked rush job that was DA2, and everything I've seen looks very sweet. Here's hoping the franchise bounces back in style. DA:O remains a modern classic.

RayMaker

Banned
Looks nice for alpha.

but how are you meant to know that you can burn the boats and in doing so will effect the game?

Also the outcomes from the choices you make seem uncertain, I would like a more clear idea on what the outcome will be in certain choices.

AnnTiPa

I'm assuming someone forgot to tell the artists they don't have to worry about RAM anymore while texturing characters and that it'll be taking care of. Plenty of time so I'm not too worried.

Other than, I like what I'm seeing.

Durante

Really? Care to name some? I don't think Witcher 3 counts. Is it isometric?
Wasteland 2
Divinity: Original Sin
Shadowrun Returns (Berlin campaign)
Project Eternity
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Dead State
Age of Decadence

Seriously, so many (for the standards of the genre) isometric RPGs.

Sotha_Sil

Looks nice for alpha.

but how are you meant to know that you can burn the boats and in doing so will effect the game?

Also the outcomes from the choices you make seem uncertain, I would like a more clear idea on what the outcome will be in certain choices.

They seem to be pushing more of a player responsibility angle in this game. Burning the boats is a totally optional thing for you to do; if you thought about trying it, that's great, and if you didn't, oh well. Personally, I love this approach.

Static Jak

Dragon Age 2 I'd agree with you there, but how in the world could you think Origins on PC was designed for a controller and not mouse/keyboard?
I don't. DA:O was way better with kb/m. DA2 was built far more with controller in mind with kb/m being secondary.
DA3 looks like it's even more focused on controller support as far as I can see for now.

Respawn

Banned
I am very impressed by what I'm seeing so far. The extra details like walking through mud or up a hill. THat cave fight oh my. Saved vid to watch later since Im at work.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
looks good enough to me. And combat seems like DAO proper, which I massively preferred to the insipid clickfest that was DA2

sublimit

Banned
Soo beautiful...can't wait to explore this world.This will be my first DA!
One question though do we get to make our own character or is he a predetermined one?

BeesEight

Graphically it looks better. Everything else looks worse... well I suppose it doesn't look worse than Dragon Age 2. It just doesn't look like an improvement. I'll do the same I did for 2 and wait to hear from my friends experiences though I'll probably continue to pass on this bland series.

My first thought was that it was eerily similar to Skyrim but I think people's mention of Fable is closer to the mark. I wish Bioware all the best, but it's clear their games are no longer meant for me.

Graphically it looks better. Everything else looks worse... well I suppose it doesn't look worse than Dragon Age 2. It just doesn't look like an improvement. I do the same I did for 2 and wait to hear from my friends experiences though I'll probably continue to pass on this bland series.

My first thought was that it was eerily similar to Skyrim but I think people's mention of Fable is closer to the mark. I wish Bioware all the best, but it's clear their games are no longer meant for me.

Worse than what? It actually has beautiful color! Something DA:O and DA2 did not have. They were really bland. And as far as combat goes it looks solid.

Durante

Worse than what? It actually has beautiful color! Something DA:O and DA2 did not have. They were really bland. And as far as combat goes it looks solid.
DAO was pretty colorful.
daorigins-2010-05-14-1drce.jpg
daorigins-2010-05-14-7grhf.jpg

BeesEight

I thought Origins looked fine for its time. The combat is definitely worse than Origins but I liked that game for its party based tactical gameplay. The pseudo-action, pseudo-strategy, I feel, does neither well and just makes a half baked hybrid mess.

Personally, if BioWare wanted to go full action RPG, then I think they would be better off dropping semblances of pause and play and party management and just go for the Dark Souls/Witcher gameplay they seem to want to ape. Then again, they'd have to lose their coveted "party relationships" so I guess it puts them in a difficult spot.

Anyway, it's not like I'm pressed for options. As others have said, there's a bunch of party based rpgs in the works right now and I'm rather spoiled for choice. Which makes waiting on or even passing on DA:Inquisition an easy pill to swallow.

dreamfall

Alright just finished watching those 30 minutes!
Quick thoughts:

I think the switch to tactical view was more a sigh of relief than anything for the franchise- but it definitely was unique in the way it was implemented. I got some major DA1 vibes, pausing, tactically setting up the AOE and then switching to jump back into combat.

Having the ability to customize the armor/weaponry of your party members harkens back to the first title, and is definitely a good thing. Feeling more involved in those you choose to take on your adventures is always a good thing.

The wandering in and about larger areas, off a path is definitely a relief too. More choice in how to navigate larger spaces for combat and exploration seem to be implemented, and the variety in the places seen in the video is apparent. Some neat cloud swirling going on!

The animations (alpha, I KNOW!) are a bit horrendous though. The walking animation looks stilted or something- but the character does adapt and balance on different hillsides of terrain. The combat does seem more free-flow in this regard; the combat roll is appreciated, but the weapon swings from the sword look a bit janky. I love the Mage attacks- full force rock/fire assault looked so neat! The dragon encounter was also a nice way to end the footage- the dragon looked pretty terrifying. I wonder how the scenarios work though, it almost felt like the party stumbled on an encounter and then were put into a combat arena? I could be misinterpreting this.

The Crestwood attack just looked strange- while choosing not to engage, watching enemies robotically attack the fence looked so weird. I think the combat is attempting to strike a better balance between the DA2 action oriented focus and the tactical part battle of DA1, and it looks somewhat successful. The pacing of the boss fight felt quick, and switching to employ different strategies to attack the beast looked smooth enough.

I think the character dialogue choices need a better looking wheel! Also, the use of the fire-bombs, and the grenade arc-esque placement felt out of place. I wanted to see if the boats would catch fire and sink!

Random thoughts- just taking it in. I loved DA1, and the universe they created. Even hearing about Ferelden, and seeing Orlais on the map made me happy. DA2 was a different animal- and there was a lot of bitter resentment on my part regarding shit mountain. Here's hoping this turns out for the best.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I really hate when developers do this. I would have played the shit out of ME1 on PC, but it doesn't feel natural at all with kb/m. Same with Bioshock 2 before the recent patch. I can never understand why some developers don't put controller support in their PC versions when they already have it all laid out for them in the console versions.

After a whole bunch of begging by a whole bunch of people, Bioware has finally decided to include controller support in Inquisition. So fucking thrilled! Hopefully they do the same with Mass Effect 4 for the PC.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/371/index/17354537

eot

Banned
I'm skeptical they understand how to have interesting choices (hint: it's not random overt NPC barks about the choice you made 20 minutes ago). Also, the world of DA is dreadful I wish they'd just start fresh.

As of right now it looks like it's worth a buy at least, though it doesn't seem like it'll be the game of the year. Especially with Witcher 3, Destiny and others in the same year.

I don't recall much from DAO and DAII since it's been a while since i played them, but were the armors always so bulky looking? Also it seems like the body models and weaponry went more towards Fable in its art style.

We also see a glimpse of "Oblivion gates", I don't mind this aspect if it doesn't ruin the atmosphere like Oblivion Gates did in TES, by making it all red skied and cloudy and shit.

To be honest the action isn't what attracts me to these games, it's the characters and all the mountain of dialogue. I didn't see any of that. The followers look pretty generic though, at least that female warrior one.

Vorundor

Looks pretty sweet but if you look at the ground on 1:40 - 1:50, the rocks don't seem to be geometry. Seems like they are just painted to look 3D but not real geometry.

Either way, this game looks amazing. :)

Assuming things get polished up, and considering this is pre-alpha one would think they will, this is shaping up really nicely. The combat still feels more DA2 then DAO to me but it's cleans up nicely. Hopefully the story is up to snuff.

Dysun

Very impressed with how far off it likely is to be in that shape already. Looks like they are making up for Shit Mountain

Top Bottom