• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age Spell combos: grease + fireball = grease fire. TOOLSET confirmed.

Ventrue

Looks like friendly spells will damage your party members.

Also looks like you get 4 characters plus a dog? There are only 4 portraits including the dog, but there are 5 characters on the screen/map.

In fact...huh, hold on a sec.

Wallach

So yeah, I just stumbled back into this thread after watching the trailer when it premiered...

Hell yes!! Finally a return to form!

Come to Wallach.

Sadly from the setting information, the story seems to be cookie cutter D&D style fantasy. Oh no here come the darkspawn and their ancient Dark Lord, send the Grey Wardens to stop them!

Woakes

I wonder if you can opt to play in top down mode out of combat, the over the shoulder views aren't doing anything for me. I get a slightly uncomfortable NWN vibe from those over the shoulder shots.

Ventrue

gallery_zoomer_exc_4.jpg
ok0q6u.jpg

Maybe?

EDIT: An alternate explanation is that five is something else and that the dog is a 'free' character. But the dog has one of the four portraits when there are clearly 4 human characters, one of whom is left out. The fellow in the middle might be a summonable, I suppose.

EDIT: Here again, six characters. They might not be all in your party, I guess.

gallery_zoomer_1.jpg

But even the guy being lifted up appears to be a party member, he is seen in these two as well:

gallery_zoomer_exc_3.jpg

gallery_zoomer_exc_2.jpg

Is there evidence here for six characters instead of four, or am I crazy?

Chichikov

gketter said:
so the game has different camera views?

i wonder if its player preference of the game shifts around on its own
IIRC it has a behind the shoulder exploration camera and an isometric tactical combat camera.

Also, screens look hot.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Judging by the screenshots, I imagine character numbers will be like NWN2. That is, the engine will be able to handle virtually any reasonable number of characters (they'll just slot in another portrait for each one), but the single-player campaign will limit you to 4-6 or so (plus summoned creatures/NPCs on top of that).

Munin

Well it looks good, but the character portraits look some kind of psycho The Movies/Oblivion bastard children from hell.

ToxicAdam

I'm really starting to warm back up for this game. Even the "shortness" of it seems like a great idea, if the origins aspect makes the game replayable. One of the things I disliked about the NWN games was that there was never a reason to replay the campaigns once you finished them (especially when you consider the length of the game).

I'm also very interested to see how they handle the loot in this game since it doesn't have to follow D&D convention.

syllogism

Those lovely spell icons, again, might as well be straight from bg2

edit: ahahah from dragon age forums: "Why so little color in this game?( 1, 2, 3 )"

WHY SO GRITTY

Eiolon

syllogism said:
Those lovely spell icons, again, might as well be straight from bg2

edit: ahahah from dragon age forums: "Why so little color in this game?( 1, 2, 3 )"

WHY SO GRITTY

Because they saw the reaction to Diablo 3's palette and wanted to make sure all basis were covered.

Minsc

Gold Member
Outdoor shots look nice, but I really was expecting more uniqueness, and only one or two shots come remotely close to delivering on the grittiness. So much for something different, like how some of the towns out of morrowind really had their own look. How about some inventory and stat/character building screens Bioware?

syllogism

Minsc said:
Outdoor shots look nice, but I really was expecting more uniqueness, and only one or two shots come remotely close to delivering on the grittiness. So much for something different, like how some of the towns out of morrowind really had their own look. How about some inventory and stat/character building screens Bioware?
Remotely close on delivering the grittiness? Which is what exactly? Every screenshot in black and white?

Minsc

Gold Member
syllogism said:
Remotely close on delivering the grittiness? Which is what exactly? Every screenshot in black and white?

They kept eluding to how dark and gritty it would be didn't they (or am I making that up)? Brings images of blood, gore and all sorts of creepy nastiness to the mind. Which I don't see in the screens, except slightly with the dead bodies near the chairs and the dog.

syllogism

Minsc said:
They kept eluding to how dark and gritty it would be didn't they (or am I making that up)? Brings images of blood, gore and all sorts of creepy nastiness to the mind. Which I don't see in the screens, except slightly with the dead bodies near the chairs and the dog.
The world/story is probably relatively gritty. They are probably aiming for realistic "grittiness" (say, like SOIF), I'm afraid the denizens of the world of Dragon Age will not bathe in blood or anything like that. Some people seem to have a rather odd conception of the word grit.

Gattsu25

Banned
Minsc said:
They said the world was gritty and harsh (with references to George R. R. Martin...so expect good guys to die, usurpers to rise, and the blood of innocents to be shed), not the visual aesthetic.

butsomuch

IGN E3 first look preview

As an old school Baldur's Gate fan, I'll get the key parts of what I saw, first. Dragon Age can be played two ways. For most of the demonstration, it had a Mass Effect or Knights of the Old Republic style of camera, where you watch from third-person as your character runs around the level. Conversations happen in Mass Effect style, with cinematic angles and cuts. However, the game features what is called a pause-and-play feature for combat, which lets you pause the game at any time and give orders to your squad. You can also pull the camera back to top-down point of view similar to that of Baldur's Gate. Zeschuk told us that you could play the game entirely from that angle, as well...

The combat system looks like a close-up Baldur's Gate style of combat, as you can pause the game at any time, give orders, and then unpause the game and watch the action unfold. What's important is using tactics. In this case, a shield bash to stun an opponent and then toggling assault, which orders up four rapid sword strikes. Magic effects the environment, so the heroes rushed into a trap with the floor covered in grease and the enemy lit it with fire. The elf magic user used a blizzard spell to extinguish the blaze. It's important to use teamwork and coordinate attacks, so you'll use pause-and-play quite a bit, just like in Baldur's Gate.

Zzoram

Hopefully by "console entries" they mean Dragon Age: Dark Alliance, not some port that ends up hurting the PC version due to UI considerations.

Zzoram said:
Hopefully by "console entries" they mean Dragon Age: Dark Alliance, not some port that ends up hurting the PC version due to UI considerations.

Based on the IGN preview it sounds like the console version will be a port of Dragon Age Origins. Which makes since if its coming from bioware. They don't have that many development teams to make a separate Dragon Age game. But it also says that the game was developed just for the PC, so if any any version is compromised it'll be the console version.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:

From Chris Priestly Community Communications Coordinator on the Dragon Age forums:

Much of this is being made of Greg's comments, but it really hasn't change anything. Dragon Age: Origins is for the PC. It is possible we may make a console version of a Dragon Age game sometime in the future.

Dragon Age: Origins is still being made for the PC. If a console version gets made some time later down the road after that, it doesn't change the PC version of Dragon Age: Origins.

Durante

I missed the live video, hope there's a recording somewhere. Please post a link if you find one!

(Oh, and great news on the PC front, but I was already quite convinced by the UI in the screenshot)

I wish that when a thread title gets updated with new info, the mod would make a note of where that new info lies. Or for the OP to update the OP accordingly.

Still, PC only. Thought it would be, but got somewhat confused over the mention of "consoles later" in the stickied e3 thread.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Livewire segment was way too short, and the user question Chobot asked was horrible. Basically, "why does anyone give a shit about old ass PC RPGs!"

Highlights:

-Dr. Greg NeoGAF shoutout. <3

-Various bits of gameplay footage, spell combos shown (grease + fireball = grease fire, blizzard puts it out)

-Boss monster grabbed and held one of the party members.

-Gamespot host: "PC only?" Dr. Greg: "Yep."

-Dr. Greg talked about the design philosophy, how they wanted to go back to their Baldur's Gate roots with the overhead option while still offering the KotOR-style zoomed in combat with AI control of other party members optionally. Both combat modes were shown and played out pretty seamlessly.

Soroc

I saw the footage and am so happy I was able to. I'm loving how you can switch perspectives and the boss at the top of the tower kicked ass. Good little demonstration and it will hold me over for now until we can get a nice complete walkthrough :D

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Durante said:
So, since you can manually switch the camera, it's actually exactly the same as NWN2?

Well, hypothetically, yeah, but while NWN2's interface updates have improved it a lot its strategic mode doesn't work nearly as well as the infinity engine titles. This looks like it fully realizes the up-close tactical and rts-style strategic modes.

Soroc

He said he has been reading "gaming-age" and I think specifically was referring to the "Playing Baldur's Gate 2 while waiting for Dragon Age" thread. Basically just saying unlike their other games this one will be coming quick. Even though its been in development for like 5 years :lol :lol

I haven't heard someone refer to GAF as gaming age in a long ass time :D

Soroc said:
He said he has been reading "gaming-age" and I think specifically was referring to the "Playing Baldur's Gate 2 while waiting for Dragon Age" thread. Basically just saying unlike their other games this one will be coming quick. Even though its been in development for like 5 years :lol :lol

That's cool. And I think one of the doctors is GAF member.

Durante

EviLore said:
Well, hypothetically, yeah, but while NWN2's interface updates have improved it a lot its strategic mode doesn't work nearly as well as the infinity engine titles. This looks like it fully realizes the up-close tactical and rts-style strategic modes.
I thought NWN2's UI worked really well with the MotB updates. But if you say this looks even better then I certainly won't complain!

Soroc said:
Well, it's better than "The NeoGAF".

Top Bottom