• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age Spell combos: grease + fireball = grease fire. TOOLSET confirmed.

Ledsen

godhandiscen said:
Is there a way to see the footage now?

Just put on the live stream on livewire.ign.com and rewind the bar until about 9.45, it will start in a couple of minutes. ign lets you rewind the live stream to any previous point.

edit: So lots of people seem to be confused. YOU CAN STILL WATCH THE FOOTAGE!

Durante

Ledsen said:
Just put on the live stream on livewire.ign.com and rewind the bar until about 9.45, it will start in a couple of minutes. ign lets you rewind the live stream to any previous point.

You, dear sir, are my new personal hero.

Sullen

Does it take a long time to load or something? I scrolled back to 9:45, and now it's at 9:47 and it still just says "Live Wire" on the screen and nothing else.

Durante

Lonesome_Raod said:
Awesome news this is coming to consoles. Not that I doubted it. To think I was actually going to look into a pc capable of playing it.
Er... did you watch the show? Sounds more like Dragon Age: Dark Alliance if anything.

Quazar

Lonesome_Raod said:
Awesome news this is coming to consoles. Not that I doubted it. To think I was actually going to look into a pc capable of playing it.

Fail

Ledsen said:

WIN

Ledsen

Sullen said:
Does it take a long time to load or something? I scrolled back to 9:45, and now it's at 9:47 and it still just says "Live Wire" on the screen and nothing else.

Yeah it starts at 9:48-49 or something. It shows whatever was showing at the time, and there's like a 10-15 minutes break between each segment so you see that text a lot.

Minsc

Gold Member
Vaporak said:
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dragon-age/890644p1.html

Gamespy interview confirms Dragon Age toolset. :D

Awesome news on the tool set. A quick glance from the above link:

It's also an "M" [for mature] game, it's a hard "M" game where the writing and the combat, and all those things together create a very impactful experience. It's almost like the opposite of whimsical fantasy.

This is more like it. Please don't put out LotR teaser crap again Bioware!

Durante

Vaporak said:
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dragon-age/890644p1.html

Gamespy interview confirms Dragon Age toolset. :D
So we've gone from "A Song of Ice and Fire" comparisons to "300" comparisons. Great. (Yes, I realize the context is different)

But now, if we come up some new awesome characters, like a new Minsc or a new Boo, and we want to do a squeezable doll, we can do that. And I think that's a very exciting and empowering position to do that.
I've never bought a "squeezable doll" in my life but I'd buy a Boo doll.

bran

LOTR.... is that you?

If Jen Tsao from 1up is correct, this is singleplayer only?
WTF Bioware? Maybe you can learn a thing or two from Dennis?

COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP

Durante

Did anyone actually play Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 in multiplayer? I guess it could be great, but I always felt it was just too long, story/character driven and individual an experience for that to work.

But the real gist is that, the experience we're trying to create, with the tools and the downloadables... obviously there are downloadables elsewhere, but nowhere are downloadables as free and easy as the PC, nowhere is it easier to share what's created than the PC. All these things just make a lot of sense. It just seemed to fit there.
Good to hear.

Ledsen

Durante said:
Did anyone actually play Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 in multiplayer? I guess it could be great, but I always felt it was just too long, story/character driven and individual an experience for that to work.

Good to hear.

My friends played it through like 3 times in multiplayer :/ ...also 2-3 times by themselves :lol

hiryu

One of the quickest turnarounds I've ever seen on GAF. Dragon Age went from get this LOTR crap away from me to pure bliss over night.

EviLore said:
That's how I feel.

I felt that way about BG2. The Icewind Dale games were far more suited to multiplayer than either BG game was, since they had a fixed cast of player generated characters and very little time spent in story "hub" areas.

Regarding the toolset-they always intended to have it for Dragon Age, from my understanding. What is going to be interesting is to see how easy to use they make it. The huge difference between the amount of usermade content for NWN1 and NWN2 was almost entirely due to the more complex toolset that the latter game shipped with.

ToxicAdam

hiryu said:
One of the quickest turnarounds I've ever seen on GAF. Dragon Age went from get this LOTR crap away from me to pure bliss over night.

I think most people said they would wait to see gameplay until they completely trashed the game, but the decision to show that trailer made you question their decision making abilities on other aspects of the game.

Durante

Draft said:
Toolset is huge. Probably worth buying the game over. Depends on how robust it is.
It's certainly nice to have, but I'd be more excited about it if there wasn't already a very competent and exhaustive toolset for a very similar type of game available.

Minsc

Gold Member
Quazar said:
Nice video. Any word on how long game might be?

Not sure, other than shorter than BG2. I think 40-50 with side quests is a fair guess, perhaps 15-20 without them.

I know it's been mentioned before, but it is amazing to think one can beat BG2 in under 48 minutes without cheating. Certainly changes the scale of things :lol

Durante said:
It's certainly nice to have, but I'd be more excited about it if there wasn't already a very competent and exhaustive toolset for a very similar type of game available.

NWN2's toolset is somewhat unweidly for the common person to use. NWN1's is better in this regard but that game is pretty well out of date at this point.

We could definitely use another toolset aimed at the single-person/small team.

Xapati

Draft said:
Toolset is huge. Probably worth buying the game over. Depends on how robust it is.

Yeah, definately changes a lot about how I feel about the game. The campaign in Neverwinter Nights was shit, but the toolset more then made up for it.

Durante

Fragamemnon said:
NWN2's toolset is somewhat unweidly for the common person to use. NWN1's is better in this regard but that game is pretty well out of date at this point.

We could definitely use another toolset aimed at the single-person/small team.
Hmm, my gut feeling on that issue is that someone who has what it takes to make a good mod will also overcome the hurdle of learning a slightly more complex toolset (that also allows creating a lot more sophisticated content). The latter is still much easier than the former. It pains me to say it, but if NWN2 truly has less worthwhile user-made content than 1 that is probably because of the relative popularity of the games more than anything.

No one would claim that the TES4 Toolkit is easy to use, yet the amount of mods is staggering.

The community was really, really not happy with the state of the NWN2 editor when it was released by Obsidian. It had a far rougher UI and the movement away from tiles really caused a lot of people to either stick with the NWN1 editor and not migrate to the NWN2 stuff.

Doytch

Fragamemnon said:
The community was really, really not happy with the state of the NWN2 editor when it was released by Obsidian. It had a far rougher UI and the movement away from tiles really caused a lot of people to either stick with the NWN1 editor and not migrate to the NWN2 stuff.

I guess tiles are friendlier, but I thought the NWN2 one was bringing things into this generation. I never worked much with the NWN1 editor, but it seemed like you could do a lot more with the new one.

Oh, and your avatar makes me angry. I killed the bitch the first chance I got. And I was playing a good char. :lol

I really liked the character's design in Mask of the Betrayer. The stoic idealist design perfectly complemented the voice acting, I thought it was a compelling character.

So this isn't an MMO?

Never was, bioware's mmo is out their Austin team. The EA acquistion is probably helpful for that product since Bioware can pretty much keep it under wraps until Mythic finally gets Warhammer out the door.

Doytch

Fragamemnon said:
I really liked the character's design in Mask of the Betrayer. The stoic idealist design perfectly complemented the voice acting, I thought it was a compelling character.

I just didn't like her attitude. Maybe that's a testament to the design itself, that I just didn't leave her sitting in the Veil.

Doytch said:
Oh, and your avatar makes me angry. I killed the bitch the first chance I got. And I was playing a good char. :lol
You are an evil man, the Dove's a great character amd I usually hate full-on idealistic characters.

Durante

Fragamemnon said:
Maybe, but -- and you may call me a graphics whore for that -- in my opinion the move away from tiles was simply necessary to create less repetitve and more immersive and realistic environments.

Fragamemnon said:
I agree. I loved her and I wanted to help her. And so I choose the one path (chaotic good) that got a really shitty ending in MotB :(

bathala said:
i'm a console player, but i think Dragon Age's camera system should have been Diablo III's camera.

Diablo's camera is designed with a specific centering anchor-the player character-in mind. I don't think it would work to well in a game like this.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
butsomuch said:

Great to see a proper HD direct feed of this reel.

Heh @ this, though:

dragonageoface.jpg

The only negative thing I can say about this game now is that it's 4 characters instead of 6. But even then that's not really that bad, as 4 chars are much better than the 3 characters (or 2 in fucking jade empire and NWN) parties of past games. And that's really the only minor bad thing I have to say about this game. It's looking really good and it'll make me get a new computer.

I think they should have shown that 3 minute preview instead of the trailer, badass stuff.

Top Bottom