• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age Spell combos: grease + fireball = grease fire. TOOLSET confirmed.

Camera and pacing looks good. I liked how the transition from behind your main character could go to isometric with the gameplay paused. More third-person and active if you want, but still the classic bird's eye and paused for when you want to set up tactics.

clutha

Neo Member
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
The only negative thing I can say about this game now is that it's 4 characters instead of 6. But even then that's not really that bad, as 4 chars are much better than the 3 characters (or 2 in fucking jade empire and NWN) parties of past games. And that's really the only minor bad thing I have to say about this game. It's looking really good and it'll make me get a new computer.

I think they should have shown that 3 minute preview instead of the trailer, badass stuff.

4 > 6

Soroc

EviLore said:
dragonageoface.jpg

Wow look at all the blood on the dude to the right. I hope thats reflective throughout the whole game. I love little details like that and I hope its right up in the gameplay and not just for show in the cutscene. You just know you been through some shit when you see blood all over your character :D

fallout

hiryu said:
One of the quickest turnarounds I've ever seen on GAF. Dragon Age went from get this LOTR crap away from me to pure bliss over night.
Wasn't a turn-around. It was a natural reaction to the announcements.

"Origins" name tag -- Confused reaction.
Trailers are released -- Negative reaction.
Screenshot released -- Positive reaction.
Gameplay video released -- Positive reaction.

I don't think anyone really wrote off the game after the trailers, but they certainly became disinterested, heh. And you could have changed that order of announcements around, and individually, those reactions would have been similar.

6 > 4 both in math and in games
Math, unless in cases of very large values of 4, yes. Games? Not necessarily. Less characters may mean that you have a more intimate experience. It gives them the ability to flesh them out a bit more.

Although, has it actually been confirmed that there'll only be 4 characters?

6 > 4 both in math and in games

assuming that the encounter difficultly is equal (big assumption), the smaller the party the more skills and abilities each party member can have. This can lead to a higher degree of customization and less micromanagement with little real tradeoff in terms of the number of interesting decisions made in combat.

of course, if you just have a small party size , leave customization and abilities sparse and/or weak, and then have smaller encounters then yeah 6>4. Doesn't sound like Bioware is going that route with DA though, given their repeated emphasis on larger scale combat encounters.

Decado

Looks OK. Enemies could use model damage (particularly bosses...that looked kinda dumb).

Toolset is a major addition! Last I heard they weren't going to do it...would be nice to see what the community can do w/o the restrictions of D&D.

Gattsu25

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
GAFhate is a fickle beast.
We reacted directly to what we were shown. Show the public something generic and they'll assume your product is generic. Show the public something of substance, that harkens back to some of the best RPGs ever made, and the public just might raise their expectations.

Let's say I promised to give you some money to show you how much of a nice person I am. I tell you to come around tomorrow and you do. I then tell you, "I told you to come here tonight so that I could tell you to come back around in two days for the money." In two days time, you come back around and I give you a brown-encrusted dime and, when you turn around to leave, I shove at you to move you along. You come to the conclusion that I'm a bit of an asshole. A week later, I knock on your door and tell you I'm sorry and then hand you $200 in clean bills. Your view of me is raised at my turnaround and you suspect that maybe I just had a rough week, before, and I might actually not be too much of a jerk.

Let me make this simpler for you: If you promise to show off something and show off crap, people will expect crap. If you then show off bliss, peoples' expectations will rise. If you want people to not judge before they experience first hand, then you really shouldn't promise anything, announce anything, or show anything off because the very act of doing any of those begins to set expectations directly related to what has been promised, announced, and shown.

If you think this is unfair, are surprised that expectations can be raised when the quality of demonstrations improve over previous demonstrations, or do not understand any of this...then you're a hopeless moron.

fallout said:
Although, has it actually been confirmed that there'll only be 4 characters?

Yeah one of the devs on the bioware boards said parties would be the PC and 3 supporting characters.

The only reason I slightly don't care for the 4 person parties is that i'll miss the 6 person parties of the baldur's gate games and all the different combinations you could have. The party interactions in BG2 was a huge part of the experience for me.

But I'm sure that bioware has balanced this out for 4 person parties so there's no real problem with it, just a minor quibble.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
The pace and clarity of the combat looks excellent. Unlike NWN2 (which could get too chaotic if you didn't pause frequently), Dragon Age looks quite manageable. And yeah, the kill animations are a cool touch.

I could even hear some GRRMishness in the few bits of dialogue available. It was well-written, at any rate.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that this is once again my most-anticipated game.

Can anyone confirm that this stuff will be in DAO?

A TON of hours worth of solid fun(50ish)? Interesting party characters with fun banters and conversations and input/reactions about quests and events? TONS of interesting and varied side quests? Dungeons to explore and loot? Well told main story and side quest stories that suck you in? Memorable/funny/interesting NPC's and villians? Tactical combat with a pause and select your actions feel? None of this twitch based see it n click it to death boring stuff. Good lvl up system maybe including the DAO version of Feat/Perks? Option to just let the main story take a back seat for a time while I go around doing some epic side questing?

Anyone else want that?

Vaporak

theredfoxisquick said:

A TON of hours worth of solid fun(50ish)? Interesting party characters with fun banters and conversations and input/reactions about quests and events? TONS of interesting and varied side quests? Dungeons to explore and loot? Well told main story and side quest stories that suck you in? Memorable/funny/interesting NPC's and villians? Tactical combat with a pause and select your actions feel? None of this twitch based see it n click it to death boring stuff. Good lvl up system maybe including the DAO version of Feat/Perks? Option to just let the main story take a back seat for a time while I go around doing some epic side questing?

Anyone else want that?

Want? Sure. But I don't think we'll be getting all that. I don't expect the game to be BG2WTF big, but the origin stories should help replayability quiet a bit. Also, Bioware hasn't demonstrated that they can come up with good RPG mechanics themselves; so I wouldn't expect anything to exemplary on that end.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Soroc said:
Wow look at all the blood on the dude to the right. I hope thats reflective throughout the whole game. I love little details like that and I hope its right up in the gameplay and not just for show in the cutscene. You just know you been through some shit when you see blood all over your character :D

yeah, they said that blood and stuff stay on your characters after battles. i dont know for how long or when it goes away though.

Vaporak said:
Want? Sure. But I don't think we'll be getting all that. I don't expect the game to be BG2WTF big, but the origin stories should help replayability quiet a bit. Also, Bioware hasn't demonstrated that they can come up with good RPG mechanics themselves; so I wouldn't expect anything to exemplary on that end.

I'm seriously hoping that this will be the next BG, but I guess it most likely will not be from what people are saying. Why do you think they are not using the Forgotten Realms and DnD mechanics?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
theredfoxisquick said:

Anyone else want that?
Based on the developer/lead writer comments during the last few years, and my own predictions based on the gameplay trailer, you'll get all of that stuff except the hour count.

Ventrue

theredfoxisquick said:
I'm seriously hoping that this will be the next BG, but I guess it most likely will not be from what people are saying. Why do you think they are not using the Forgotten Realms and DnD mechanics?

Because they don't have the license for that?

Durante

6 party members = 15 potential banter / character interaction pairings
4 party members = 6 potential banter / character interaction pairings

Obviously, 6 character parties are more than twice as good as 4 character parties.

Twig

Banned
Durante said:

Obviously, 6 character parties are more than twice as good as 4 character parties.
I think you win.

Chairman Yang said:
Based on the developer/lead writer comments during the last few years, and my own predictions based on the gameplay trailer, you'll get all of that stuff except the hour count.

How long do you think it will be?

Durante said:

Indeed, NWN2 showed the limitations of 4 character parties. It's too bad Bioware is doing the same thing.

Oh, and to not be disappointed, I wouldn't expect much over 30 hours for playtime in Dragon Age...

A Black Falcon said:
Indeed, NWN2 showed the limitations of 4 character parties. It's too bad Bioware is doing the same thing.

Oh, and to not be disappointed, I wouldn't expect much over 30 hours for playtime in Dragon Age...

I'd expect its length to be similar to Mass Effect's, but with less pointless wandering around empty repetitive planets. Hopefully better sidequests too.

Durante said:

I think that having a 6 man team is better for character interactions and combat. I've been noticing a general decline in western RPG's for the past while. Basically ever since Fallout, Dues Ex, BG2 things have been going down hill. I'm hoping DAO brings the quality back up. Even KOTOR was a step down from BG2.

Oh and this game better be longer then Mass Effect!

Vaporak

theredfoxisquick said:
I think that having a 6 man team is better for character interactions and combat. I've been noticing a general decline in western RPG's for the past while. Basically ever since Fallout, Dues Ex, BG2 things have been going down hill. I'm hoping DAO brings the quality back up. Even KOTOR was a step down from BG2.

Oh and this game better be longer then Mass Effect!

I don't care if it's longer or not, I just want it to be better. I'd prefer no filler and shorter play times to artificially padding the hour count just so that fanboys can brag about their hours/dollars ratio. Longer != Better.

Spoit

On the other hand, at least a 4 person party won't be as restrictive as in D20 since they've said that they're cutting down the types of classes to the basic archetypes. EG in the video the mage is both casting damaging spells as well as healing.

I'm just thinking about BG2. That game was long and the side quests were not crap. Longer can actually mean better if its solid fun. Why stop a good thing? I'm obviously not saying add crap to the game.

BeeDog

theredfoxisquick said:
I'm just thinking about BG2. That game was long and the side quests were not crap. Longer can actually mean better if its solid fun. Why stop a good thing? I'm obviously not saying add crap to the game.

Because production costs have shot through the roof, mainly because the focus on art and graphics make it harder to create more content (evil spiral here).

Anth

Mass Effect was about 25 hours for one playthrough, so I'd expect about 30 hours for Dragon Age, maybe slightly more. The question is just whether the quests will be more similar to Mass Effect's generic filler, or more like older Bioware RPGs.

But if the game turns out as good as it looks right now, it should be easy to complete two or three playthroughs. At 50 or 80 hours in total you would still be far, far ahead of most games we get these days.

Top Bottom