• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
really hoping they don't ignore original dragon ball with fighters

kid goku and tao pai pai are all I ask for!

Both would be super cool (pole moveset + tao THE GOD).

Launch would be nice too but that has like no chance in hell of happening.

TDLink

The game has Z in the title, so I wouldn't be surprised if they limited it to characters specifically from DBZ (probably including DBZ films as well).

There's plenty to choose from even with that limitation.

daman824

I feel like the chance of GT characters is extremely low.
Yeah, that's why I said uub would make me buy the game day one.

Honestly, I would love to see baby vegeta in the game as well. I feel like both he and uub are popular enough dragonball characters to at least earn dlc spots in the game.

Uub especially should be popular enough to be dlc. As both he and Pan will probably be in super at some point

Anth0ny

The game has Z in the title, so I wouldn't be surprised if they limited it to characters specifically from DBZ (probably including DBZ films as well).

There's no way this game won't have Super characters.

movie characters getting in over DB characters would suuuuuuuuuuuuck. who even IS there besides Broly and Janemba?

They basically confirmed that different eras are going to be in the game.

Most likely Z and Super only though.

Trace

Banned

movie characters getting in over DB characters would suuuuuuuuuuuuck. who even IS there besides Broly and Janemba?

Assuming we're talking relevant antagonists:

Turles
Garlic Jr
Lord Slug
Cooler/Mecha Cooler
Super Android 13
Broly
Bojack
Janemba

would all be possibilities. Turles is boring as shit so he's an easy cut, Garlic Jr is neat but would never put him in a top 20-30, Lord Slug giant form doesn't work for the game, Cooler is basically Frieza, and Bojack has the same issues as Garlic Jr. So yea, you basically end up with Android 13, Broly and Janemba as possible movie includes.

Spman2099

tv special ain't a movie!

but seriously if cooler or bojack get in over mutha fuckin tao pai pai (or zamasu/goku black) imma be pissed!

At least Bojack has a cool design. I will take that over Evil Goku any day of the week. Though, a better pick would be the Bojack's female henchman. This game is going to need to work to not be a sausage fest...

JackelZXA

In some ways I'd say Tien is more of a DB character than a Z one because his entire character arc and story takes place in and completes over the coarse of the last 3 arcs of DB. In Z (even in saiyan arc) he's kind of already done as a character. Toriyama has a habit of finishing ideas quickly and not doing anything else with that character concept and just having them show up to barbecues for the rest of time. Super seems like it's doing a few interesting things with Tien, but yeah like...most of the characters from Pilaf arc to Baba arc aren't really much of fighters.

Most of the actual fighting comes from Tien, Piccolo, and Junior arcs, and most of those characters are just "The Z Warriors". Super has a ton of potential though. Even in just the arcs before Universe Survival Arc there's probably 10 good solid picks (and forms)

I kind of hope most of the SSJ stuff ends up being forms. It'd be really cool to have goku just be 5 characters in one. I can see Vegeto being unique, though.

TDLink

In addition to Broly and Janemba, you also have Bardock, Cooler, Future Gohan, Lord Slug, Tapion, Android 13, and Beerus...who is quite popular now.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some people too because there's a shitload of movies each with a ton of characters.

LotusHD

Banned
tv special ain't a movie!

but seriously if cooler or bojack get in over mutha fuckin tao pai pai (or zamasu/goku black) imma be pissed!

The only movie character I see getting in is Broly tbh

In addition to Broly and Janemba, you also have Bardock, Cooler, Future Gohan, Lord Slug, Tapion, Android 13, and Beerus...who is quite popular now.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some people too because there's a shitload of movies each with a ton of characters.

No one considers Beerus to be a movie character at this point lol

TDLink

They basically confirmed that different eras are going to be in the game.

Most likely Z and Super only though.

Different eras as in the different shows? Or Just different time periods? Because Frieza arc, Cell arc, and Buu arc are all technically different "Eras" where the characters are different ages.

I'd be okay with only having one version of each character. For example, Cell arc Future Trunks would negate our need to also have a "Kid Trunks" from the Buu arc.

No one considers Beerus to be a movie character at this point lol

Okay. He still originated in a DBZ film, not DB Super. If they wanted to take a hard stance (and I'm not saying they will, but it's possible) on only "Z" characters, then he'd still qualify that way.

LotusHD

Banned
Well yea, if the Golden Frieza transformation made it in, I fully expect to see SSB and Beerus if they were for whatever reason only focusing on those two movies.

Different eras as in the different shows? Or Just different time periods? Because Frieza arc, Cell arc, and Buu arc are all technically different "Eras" where the characters are different ages.

I'd be okay with only having one version of each character. For example, Cell arc Future Trunks would negate our need to also have a "Kid Trunks" from the Buu arc.

Okay. He still originated in a DBZ film, not DB Super. If they wanted to take a hard stance (and I'm not saying they will, but it's possible) on only "Z" characters, then he'd still qualify that way.

You classify characters on where they are, not where they started.

They said that they what to cater to a broad audience coming from different generations so I'm pretty sure it's different shows.

TDLink

Good, I hope it is. I hope they include all of the characters from all of the shows. It's just that assuming the roster won't be that large, then there really will be a lot of "obvious" choices not there.

Village

How do you feel about fusions being done VIA sacrifice of two characters you pick , making a stronger character?

Or would you rather fusion characters be separates.

JackelZXA

In their other DBZ game:
  1. Goku (Super Saiyan) (Super Saiyan God) (Super Saiyan Blue)
  2. Krillin
  3. Teen Gohan (Super Saiyan 2)
  4. Adult Gohan (Super Saiyan) (Ultimate Gohan)
  5. Piccolo
  6. Raditz
  7. Nappa
  8. Vegeta (Super Saiyan)
  9. Captain Ginyu
  10. Frieza (Final Form)
  11. Future Trunks (Super Saiyan)
  12. Android 18
  13. Cell (Perfect Form)
  14. Majin Buu
  15. Kid Buu
  16. Gotenks (Super Saiyan)
  17. Beerus
  18. Bardock
  19. Broly (Legendary Super Saiyan)

19 characters excluding alternate forms. This roster plus a few additions from Super seems like what we'll get. Golden Freeza is already confirmed, so Blue Vegeta is probably a shoe in. We might get Rage Trunks as well. Goku Black (With Zamasu Fusion and Super Saiyan Rose as alternate forms) and Hit would be good additions.

Android 17 would be good too but until now he's only been in Cell arc. Tien and Yamcha could be good. Android 16 might be good. Dabura could be unique. Roshi might be good but he can't fly so they'd have to make him fight differently to work in an anime hyper fighter with air combos and shit like that. Dunno about Tagoma, Sashimi, Frost, or Cabba. Jaco wouldn't work....I bet we don't get much more than the playables in the last game. Doubt we get more than 24. 30 would be wishing for a lot too (Guessing they'll use a multiple of 6 based on the character select layout)

Ginyu being in would be great because of his body switch. (It'd be cool if he had supers that were just calling in other ginyu force members to use a special attack)

LotusHD

Banned
How do you feel about fusions being done VIA sacrifice of two characters you pick , making a stronger character?

Eh, it'd be a lame handicap imo, the damage increase they'd have to give you to justify it probably wouldn't be fun for others either, I dunno.

I would prefer them to be separate characters, at least for stuff like Vegito, Gogeta and Gotenks. (So basically all of the fusions lol) Alternatively, if say a character like Zamasu made it in, his transformation could be to form Fused Zamasu.

Trickster

Well yea, if the Golden Frieza transformation made it in, I fully expect to see SSB and Beerus if they were for whatever reason only focusing on those two movies.

Assuming that they actually go for interesting character over fanservice, which they kinda hinted at. There should be no reason whatsoever to put in SSB version of Vegeta and Goku. They are litterally just blue versions of SSJ. The only special thing that I've seen them do so far is goku's kaioken.

Karsha

Damn the Turles hate, he is the only one destroying a spirit ball with his bare hands and gives Goku a legendary beating, the scene with him having Goku under his feet and blasting him with Ki is a movie classic, even the final duel "western movie" style.

Beside he'd be a easy character to make and could have interesting mechanics like eat the fruit of might to power up moves etc, he could be the Order Sol of this game imho.

The only boring movie character is Bojack, at least for me. I don't know his motivations, he barely says any words and gets beaten in 2 moves by Gohan. Still his transformation in the movie is kinda unique, he gets powered up while beating Vegeta lol.

Baleoce

Assuming that they actually go for interesting character over fanservice, which they kinda hinted at. There should be no reason whatsoever to put in SSB version of Vegeta and Goku. They are litterally just blue versions of SSJ. The only special thing that I've seen them do so far is goku's kaioken.

Anything that SSB does really could be fulfilled with max meter usage tbh, and even then that'd be a bit dull. As a form it doesn't offer much in the way of visual individuality. Then again they could also decide to take some license (or discuss with Toei) over new things that the blue form could potentially do in the context of a game like this.

JackelZXA

They can throw in some mechanic or tweak how they control, like how Ryu has Akuma and Ken forms in MvC1.

Alienous

They'll be easy characters to make and the modern faces of Dragon Ball.

They're going in.

Puruzi

Banned

I'd want them to be their own characters, which will definitely happen because I'm pretty sure Gotenks is gonna be playable and I don't think both Goten and Kid Trunks are gonna be in.

Sephiros

Neo Member
Talking about arenas, Snake way could work. After getting destroyed Fighters would be down on hell with those cute ghosts around the plaza, with bloody ponds and everything else. They could also include those orcs that help Goku while he’s there.

Another place that looks cool is Freeza’s base. Those recovery pods, Round ships and Ginyu...

TreIII

One thing I do wonder is how music will be handled. WilL certain vs. pairings trump the default background track of a level, in the case of a "Goku v. Vegeta", "Goku v. Freeza" and the like?

It's a hallmark of most Arc fighters, so I'm hoping they have similar, here.

HardRojo

Separates for sure. No need to lock fully fleshed characters behind a "mechanic" if we can have them as actual characters in a game that will likely launch with an average-sized roster.

Spman2099

I only have two characters that I think are important.

Yamcha
Tenshinhan

I need at least one of these characters to make it. Beyond them, any Dragon Ball characters would be welcome. However, if those two make it in, I will happily throw Piccolo onto my team and call it a day. If neither make it in, I will probably hold off on buying the game unless a bunch of other cool Dragon Ball characters make it (as playing a fighting game is hard if you don't have a character you like).

c8f2d028133a61addc5200cf48214574.gif

MKAllDay

I actually like the idea from a balance/unique mechanic standpoint; however, that would force team comps (Goten+Trunks)(Goku+Vegeta) which I think is suboptimal when creative teambuilding is a very fun part of a 3v3 fighter.

Anth0ny

interesting idea but would probably be pretty hard to balance.

separate characters is fine.

Top Bottom