• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Tsunamo

Shame about V-Jump. Even though there was nothing new they do a good job of hyping me even more (relaying the same information we got at E3)

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Has anyone mentioned Hell as a stage or Snake Way? Dragon Ball Z has great scenery at times and a lot of places would make for some iconic and incredibly visual battlegrounds. I'd even say having a stage where players are fighting either along Shenron or Super Shenron moving through time and space.

My Roster
1. Goku
2. Vegeta
3. Teen Gohan
4. Piccolo
5. Tien + Chiaotzu (as an assist)
6. Krillin
7. Yamcha + Puar (as an assist)
8. Master Roshi + Launch
9. Future Trunks
10. Android 17
11. Android 18
12. Frieza
13. Cell
14. Buu
15. Broly
16. Cooler
17. Janemba
18. Garlic Jr.
19. Chichi + Goten (assist)
20. Hit
21. Beerus
22. Whis
23. Bulma with wacky ass gadgets + Kid Trunks (assist)
24. Farmer with Shotgun

Arenas
1. Snake Way
2. Hell (Frieza's stage)
3. ToP top arena
4. Super Shenron
5. Namek
6. World Martial Arts Tournament
7. Inside gravity capsule
8. Janemba's stage
9. Dr. Gero's Lab
10. Outside Kame House
11. Room of Spirit and Time/Hyperbolic Time Chamber
12. King Kai's planet with King Kai, Bubbles and Gregory all running away and hiding from the action

c8f2d028133a61addc5200cf48214574.gif

Dat one inch punch tho. Bruce would be proud.

DrDogg

I'm working on an interview with the director of the game. Obviously some questions she won't be able to answer, but if you guys have some questions I can potentially add them to the interview.

Sending off the questions in a few hours, so I'll check back a few times before then.

I'm working on an interview with the director of the game. Obviously some questions she won't be able to answer, but if you guys have some questions I can potentially add them to the interview.

Sending off the questions in a few hours, so I'll check back a few times before then.
Will we be able to choose the assist moves in the full game?

Fandangox

I wonder if they were to add someone like Mr. Satan or Roshi, who can't "teleport" would they have a different mechanic to make up for it? I guess she would not be able to answer that, since it would be about characters I guess.

What was has been the biggest roadblock in developing the game? i.e Presentation/Graphics, the mechanics, certain characters, the content, etc?

NeonZ

I wonder if they were to add someone like Mr. Satan or Roshi, who can't "teleport" would they have a different mechanic to make up for it? I guess she would not be able to answer that, since it would be about characters I guess.

Roshi can "teleport" though. They were leaving after-images and moving faster than the eye can see since the 21st Budokai.

Alienous

I'd probably ask, seeing as how they're trying to chase a competetive audience, if they made any efforts to maximize the female representation in the roster.

Though it could just illicit a "we're not talking about the roster as of now" answer.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

-Will there be characters offered as DLC if they don't make the initial cut?
-Will any characters from Super be included or is this purely a DBZ affair?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Will fusions be in the game, and if so, will they be a transformation mechanic, or individual characters?

Will we be able to choose the assist supers ourselves in the final version of the game? In the gameplay videos, many assist supers missed (e.g. Gohan's kamehameha that he shoots up at a 45 degree angle).

Does Bandai Namco or Arcsys have any plans to support the esports community? Will they host any official tournaments like Capcom Cup?

How long does it take to design and create one character for the game?

Do they plan to release new characters as DLC after the release? How often? At what price?

Are unblockable setups and infinite combos part of the gameplay?

What is more important for this game's development philosophy? Including a character that is not well known but has an interesting design and fighting style or including a character that is popular with fans, but is very similar in style to existing characters in the game.

What kind of netcode will they use for online play? Are they paying attention to the complaints many fans have about the online play for other fighting games out there?

Will the story mode play out the same as the existing DBZ canon, or will it be an original story?

Does the team get any input from Akira Toriyama?

Will characters be able to choose a different assist, or will they always only have one type?

When will the beta release? How can we sign up? When will we get more information about it?

TreIII

- In the characters we've seen thus far, we can pick out references to moves that characters had in the past games in the Butoden series (re: Goku's spinning aerial kick special, Cell's slide kick move, Vegeta's rising knee, etc.). Would this at all mean we can consider Fighterz to be a Butoden game, as well, or perhaps an evolution?

- The stage destruction transition that we have seen in the E3 demo was very nice to see. Is it at all possible that we may even see other types of transitions that move the fight to an entirely different area to continue combat?

- We've seen different palette choices for the characters already. Is color edit for outfits a possibility?

Are dbgt characters included in the main product? Dlc?

- They have the complete roster in their minds or are open to hearing what the fans want?

Please ask him about Goku Black lol.

Slaythe

Gonna hope you can send this to represent our boys.

"The classic 2D fighters based off Dragon Ball shared similar rosters over the years, yet some characters never had the chance to make it in, despite interesting fighting styles, like Android 17 or Yamcha, is there any chance for such characters to be part of Dragon Ball FighterZ ?"

She won't be able to answer "yes" or "no" but she has given insightful answers for other characters so it's worth asking.

Village

Veggie has a thing like that in xenoverse ,he just teleports to you and punches the soul out of you. Only SSGSS veggie has it.

Characters from movies.

What's the stage situation looking like

I'll mirror what Village said, ask about the stages.

Village

If everything is up for grabs

Id love, penguin village, the under ground red ribbon bunker from budokai 3 or the red ribbon snow base, the weird universal collapse where jinimba is and the hub from xenoverse as stages you can fight on.

Will characters who aren't as "over the top powerful" such as Yamcha, Videl, or Supreme Kai have a chance of being playable?

Slaythe

Will characters who aren't as "over the top powerful" such as Yamcha, Videl, or Supreme Kai have a chance of being playable?

She already said they aren't trying to only add the strongest characters and that the balance won't be affected by canon, but the characters will have faithful representation. (maybe lower damage but unique techniques etc...)

HardRojo

I hope they include the RoF outfits for Goku and Vegeta.

Give this man a fucking medal! He knows quality when he sees it.
This Goku outfit was too damn good. Wish they would go back to it.
Make it two medals for two people with great taste!
I expect the inevitable SS Blue versions to have those outfits. If not, we riot.
Make it three actually. We have some fine people in this thread.

Galang

Banned

Now that we have more strong canon females in the series, will we have more options in the game to play as women? And do you think we will have more opportunities to be reflected more in future games?

Mugy

How did this game became real? Like it was NamcoBandai who approached ArcSys?

is the team taking references from previous dbz games? (Super DBZ to be specific)

I'd probably ask, seeing as how they're trying to chase a competetive audience, if they made any efforts to maximize the female representation in the roster.

Though it could just illicit a "we're not talking about the roster as of now" answer.

Or "With DBZ being a sausage fest, we'll try the best we can with female representation."

Hector_JHJ

Neo Member

Where the characters playable at the E3 demo completely done in terms of development, or will there move-sets be expanded before the release day.

Will a battle damaged feature like the one use in Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator and Rev 2, be implemented in this game.

If you haven't sent it yet, I would like to echo asking if they are currently listening to what characters fans want. That way we can turn up the intensity we are asking for our favorites.

DrDogg

Thanks for the questions guys. I've got everyone up to this point. I can't send in all of the questions as there is a limit to the number, but I'll try to get as many as I can.

Not sure what the turnaround time will be, but I'll post up when the interview is live.

Trickster

Since a small roster seems likely, I tried to cut mine down to 20, hopefully it won't be smaller than that.

In no particular order other than the first 6 being the known ones -
1 Goku
2 Vegeta
3 Teen Gohan
4 Fat Buu
5 Cell
6 Frieza
7 Piccolo
8 Tenshinhan
9 Krillin
10 Broly
11 Janemba
12 Mr Satan
13 Android 18
14 Mercenary Tao
15 Recoome
16 Future trunks
17 Gotenks
18 Dabura
19 Vegito
20 Great Saiyaman

In an ideal world I'd also want these characters -
Master Roshi
Videl
Super Buu
Captain Ginyu
Burter
Jeice
Guldo
Nappa
Gogeta

Not interested in these, but I suspect that they will probably make it in because they do have some mechanics that could translate well, and because it would make Super fans happy -
Beerus
Hit
Black Goku
Merged Zamasu

I would love it if they gave the option of using fusion characters for more power/faster super buildup as an option, in exchange for just having the one health bar and less assist options, could even give them more HP

It would feel like old school Capcom Vs SNK2 again with the ratio system!

Thanks for the questions guys. I've got everyone up to this point. I can't send in all of the questions as there is a limit to the number, but I'll try to get as many as I can.

Not sure what the turnaround time will be, but I'll post up when the interview is live.

It's appreciated, dude.

A fusion mechanic would be cool as hell.

I feel like there is a middle ground between GG/SF/MvC and Tenkaichi/Xenoverse that this game should hit, with gameplay mechanics that distinctly come from the license, as opposed to Arc's history or the MvC2/3 influence*, so when playing it you can say "This is DBZ!" for more than the aesthetics.

Fusions and Beam Struggles would be good mechanics for that.

*Of course, being a MvC style game might be enough for "DBZ-ness", as those games were always more DBZ games than superhero games anyway.

Top Bottom