• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

I got a Barnes&Noble giftcard so I treated myself to the first two DBZ Vizbig volumes to hold me over until the game comes out, I've never read the DBZ manga before, just original DB.

If it's true, 24 is quite a few more characters than I expected, although if SSB Goku & Vegeta count as two of em I could see it. That's still plenty of room for almost all of the major characters.

Skeeter49

I hope we get Roshi, he's one character who has exploded with popularity, who hasn't been in many games, to my knowledge.

What was the last DB game Roshi was in as a playable character?

Slaythe

I don't mind blue Goku and Vegeta as long as they play different. It's like EX Iori and Kyo

Telling you right now they'll have the exact same normals, but the specials and supers might change.

I hope we get Roshi, he's one character who has exploded with popularity, who hasn't been in many games, to my knowledge.

Uuh probably tenkaichi 3 ?

Slaythe

Can't in all honesty defend that.

I mean, it's not like they are stealing spots, they're very low effort / work. They're more like bonuses I guess.

If there's 22 chars with them, that means it was gonna be 20 without them. Not 22 with two other unique characters.

BossRush

I mean, it's not like they are stealing spots, they're very low effort / work. They're more like bonuses I guess.

If there's 22 chars with them, that means it was gonna be 20 without them. Not 22 with two other unique characters.

Yeah, I mean it does save time and effort while still bolstering the roster. I just wish at least SOME of the normals were slightly different. Or they had different properties.

I'm just worried people won't take it well, because I'm sure they won't.

Slaythe

Yeah, I mean it does save time and effort while still bolstering the roster. I just wish at least SOME of the normals were slightly different. Or they had different properties.

I'm just worried people won't take it well, because I'm sure they won't.

To be fair they fight the exact same way in both forms, so they don't warrant new normals.

Having new specials that allow for different combos etc... as well as new costume, super and cutscenes, will be enough to content most people.

It also opens up the door for future characters to receive similar updates (new costume supers etc..) with their performance in Super. Mainly Trunks and 17. It wouldn't take them as long to make them, and many people would buy those since they're popular.

NEO0MJ

Since most DB fighting games feature flying characters it's not a surprise he didn't make many appearances. Strange that he still can't do it in the show though, especially since he was given a power boost.
BT3 had him desperately swim in the air though, that was hilarious.

Uraizen

Banned
I see Beerus as the final boss too. Either him or Golden Freeza. Maybe Beerus will be a secret boss that you have to beat in order to unlock, who knows.

I hope I don't have to unlock anybody. Let me pick a team, go into the hyperbolic time chamber, and then have a blast with MP.

Skeeter49

Since most DB fighting games feature flying characters it's not a surprise he didn't make many appearances. Strange that he still can't do it in the show though, especially since he was given a power boost.
Flight technique was taught by his rival school. That's the reason the show sticks to it.

I feel like there are ways to do it similar to how they bypass no flight with Satan.
Now I need to look that up with Roshi in BT3.

The fact Roshi flew around while riding on the back of baby Gamera isn't used enough.
1Bu2RfL.png

NEO0MJ

Flight technique was taught by his rival school. That's the reason the show sticks to it.

I feel like there are ways to do it similar to how they bypass no flight with Satan.

Yeah but since flying was trivialized in Z and just about everyone in the multiverse can pull it off I feel that's not a good excuse anymore.
Oh, I got it! Have Roshi fly around Iron Man style by using small Kamehameha bursts to jet around.

SaltyPete

Neo Member
Ok, some confirmations.

There will be two (at least) more Goku and Vegeta. (edit : meant one of each)

And at least one more Gohan.

Trunks is called "Trunks".

Goku is called "Goku SS" and Vegeta "Vegeta SS".

Gohan is called "Gohan Y" (aka Gohan young, to differentiate him from the older Gohan).

And probably another Majin Buu. (fat buu is called majinBoo-z)

Could just be future proofing it in case of DLC but its not like a second Gohan and Buu were risky guesses anyway

Spman2099

So from the official site it looks like there will be 24 characters.

http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/

I am totally ok with that at launch.

24 is a healthy roster for a new fighting game, and an okay roster for a team based fighting game.

Now we just need to see how they use those remaining fifteen slots. There is enough room for them to launch with an amazing roster, but past Dragon Ball Z games have shown us how to squander spots with repeat characters...

Slaythe

24 is a healthy roster for a new fighting game, and an okay roster for a team based fighting game.

Now we just need to see how they use those remaining fifteen slots. There is enough room for them to launch with an amazing roster, but past Dragon Ball Z games have shown us how to squander spots with repeat characters...

What I wonder is if that includes DLC or not.

But also dude, Yamcha voice actor had said he had a crazy recording session for Yamcha.

Virtually nothing related to Yamcha happened in months (and won't happen for months since we're in the middle of an arc he isn't a part of), so there's a good chance he might make it in FZ.

It also lines up with Chuck Huber (supposedly) confirming he had recorded his lines for FZ as of July 30.

Let's hope my man.

Spman2099

What I wonder is if that includes DLC or not.

But also dude, Yamcha voice actor had said he had a crazy recording session for Yamcha.

Virtually nothing related to Yamcha happened in months (and won't happen for months since we're in the middle of an arc he isn't a part of), so there's a good chance he might make it in FZ.

It also lines up with Chuck Huber (supposedly) confirming he had recorded his lines for FZ as of July 30.

Let's hope my man.

I know... but now I am starting to believe, and that scares me.

It seems like there is reason to believe that both 17 and Yamcha are going to make it... Seems a little too convenient, doesn't it Slaythe? They are just trying to break us down.

Slaythe

It seems like there is reason to believe that both 17 and Yamcha are going to make it... Seems a little too convenient, doesn't it Slaythe? They are just trying to break us down.

Also, he would have the great Battle of Gods design and not the shitty Z one. o/

latest

Well, 17 is currently getting about 5000 times more popular by kicking ass in Dragon Ball Super.

He's getting a lot of push in Heroes too.

VyR93QcQ.jpg:large

And virtually nothing has happened for Yamcha, whose voice actor put a lot of effort into recording sessions. The Chuck Huber rumor is unconfirmed, but it would also match with the timing of what the JP voice actor said for Yamcha.

There won't be a special or other games so... I want to believe.

I just noticed, both of them are team #longHair lmao.

Spman2099

Also, he would have the great Battle of Gods design and not the shitty Z one. o/

latest

Well, 17 is currently getting about 5000 times more popular by kicking ass in Dragon Ball Super.

And virtually nothing has happened for Yamcha, whose voice actor put a lot of effort into recording sessions. The Chuck Huber rumor is unconfirmed, but it would also match with the timing of what the JP voice actor said for Yamcha.

There won't be a special or other games so... I want to believe.

You are true blue, Slaythe. When this game drops I am going to add 17 as my third in your honor.

@MUWANdo

Banned

I don't think Yamcha's necessarily a long shot, even for a 16-character roster. Look at it this way:

there are 9 characters so far (Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Krillin, Piccolo, Trunks, Frieza, Cell, Buu)

add the remaining tournament participants (17, 18, Roshi, Tien)

that'd leave 3 slots and, presuming they stick to Z and the two Super movies, there aren't a ton of options to choose from and I could totally see Yamcha making the cut.

Alecs27

Neo Member
Ok, some confirmations.

Gohan is called "Gohan Y" (aka Gohan young, to differentiate him from the older Gohan).

Where did you see the "SS" in the Vegeta and Goku characters? I'm just curious.
Btw if there is another Goku (&Vegeta) I prefer them to be in their Saiyan saga incarnation.

Slaythe

Where did you see the "SS" in the Vegeta and Goku characters? I'm just curious.
Btw if there is another Goku (&Vegeta) I prefer them to be in their Saiyan saga incarnation.

That's how they are called in the CSS.

And saiyan saga isn't happening with Golden Frieza in and Blue Goku having access to Kaioken.

AZUMIKE

Ok, some confirmations.

Sources??

Slaythe

http://i.imgur.com/9QAMzkP.gifv

Regardless of how useful the move is, it was used in almost every Z arc and is pretty iconic for DBZ.
Seeing it in FigtherZ would bring back those Budokai 3 scenes.

It's not about how useful it is, it's because it's not Goku's power, he has to beg from everybody else.

Not only that but it's lame, he has to wait forever to create one. The game also has shorter cutscenes than Budokai and I don't want to see a sped up version of Genkidama.

So heh, I won't miss it.

Also, out of 100 episodes, he hasn't used it once in Super. The Genkidama is basically Goku admitting he's not strong enough.

Skab

It's not about how useful it is, it's because it's not Goku's power, he has to beg from everybody else.

Not only that but it's lame, he has to wait forever to create one. The game also has shorter cutscenes than Budokai and I don't want to see a sped up version of Genkidama.

So heh, I won't miss it.

Also, out of 100 episodes, he hasn't used it once in Super. The Genkidama is basically Goku admitting he's not strong enough.

They could just do it how Hyper DBZ does it.

He had it in Super DBZ and it was fine.

He probably won't have it in this game though since he only fights in Super Saiyan. And that's fine too. (Unless it's like SSJ3 Kamehameha and he powers down for it)

I think Genkidama would have pretty cool potential applications in a tag game. It'd be cool to have him just charging it as a DHC or something while fighting with another character and having it combo

Also, out of 100 episodes, he hasn't used it once in Super.

Oh god this can't be our barometer for quality now

Also can't wait for Universe fight arc to end with Goku doing Universe wide genki dama after this. Or if all the universes unite against the dude destroying them, multiverse wide Genkidama

So heh, I won't miss it.

If you want a speed up version of it Hyper DBZ did a fast version of it, and it still looks pretty good.

In super Goku never used the Genkidama but Trunks did because it is a popular move.

For FighterZ it doesn't matter for story reason why to include something, Broly could in this game despite the fact he's a pretty lame character and it's fine because he's a popular character.

If you want a speed up version of it Hyper DBZ did a fast version of it, and it still looks pretty good.

In super Goku never used the Genkidama but Trunks did because it is a popular move.

For FighterZ it doesn't matter for story reason why to include something, Broly could in this game despite the fact he's a pretty lame character and it's fine because he's a popular character.

If Broly and Genkidama are a package deal then I'm fine leaving out Genkidama

Alienous

Broly is far from a 'lame' character for a fighting game. He represents the 'grappler' archetype.

There are many characters that would be poor choices for a Dragon Ball Z fighting game, such as Caulifla, but Broly isn't one of them.

Broly is far from a 'lame' character for a fighting game. He represents the 'grappler' archetype.

There are many characters that would be poor choices for a Dragon Ball Z fighting game, such as Caulifla, but Broly isn't one of them.

You can't be saying shit like that in this neighborhood b

I agree with you but like, this ain't the crowd for it

I'm also not sure Broly represents a grappler archetype. I'm not sure he's ever been that in any previous DBZ games. He could be taken that direction I suppose but I don't really think it's as set in stone for the characters as people suggest it is. I mean I'm not even sure a grappler character has a place in a game like this.

Slaythe

I don't know, every move so far is pretty faithful to what they are. And suddenly "k guys let's completely alter Genkidama" ? Unless you want it as a charging mechanic, which I think is pretty boring.

I mean he's lame in a story sense, which proves my point. Story shouldn't matter for a character or move in a fighting game. Broly would be made interesting by arcsystems, regardless of how lame broly is story wise.

I mean we already have that with Piccolo and Makankosappo so charging moves aren't really hard to conceptualize for this game. They make sense for DHC

I mean he's lame in a story sense, which proves my point. Story shouldn't matter for a character or move in a fighting game. Broly would be made interesting by arcsystems, regardless of how lame broly is story wise.

My boys at arc are mad talented, but they aren't miracle workers

Alienous

Ah, I read that twice as well. Sorry, my reading comprehension was off.

Yeah, I agree with you - story isn't going to be much of a restriction for ArcSystems.

I don't know, every move so far is pretty faithful to what they are. And suddenly "k guys let's completely alter Genkidama" ? Unless you want it as a charging mechanic, which I think is pretty boring.

I was arguing for having base form Goku in FigtherZ to include moves like the Kaioken and Genkidama, you pointed out that Goku went Kaioken with SSB so I feel like not having that move would be disappointing considering how popular and iconic that move is.

My boys at arc are mad talented, but they aren't miracle workers

Considering how well they made this game look they can do anything as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom