• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Fusions |OT| HA!!

Zero-ELEC

Banned
6iZhzdj.png

Title: Dragon Ball Fusions
Developer: Ganbarion (Jump Ultimate Stars, Pandora's Tower)
Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment
System: Nintendo 3DS
Genre: "Collect & Power Up RPG"
Release: 4 August 2016 (JP) / 22 November 2016 (US) / 29 November 2016 (CA) / 13 December 2016 (MX) / 28 February 2017 (EU) / February 2017 (AU)

FATURES:
  • Create your own character from different species from the franchise, including Namekian, Saiyan, Earthling and more.
  • Turn-based, action RPG with positioning-based mechanics reminiscent of marbles and rock-paper-scissors systems.
  • An Original Story featuring some of your favourite Dragon Ball characters! (And Yamcha)
  • Fly through the sky of an amalgamated Dragon Ball world and collect hundreds of characters!
  • FUSE YOUR CHARACTERS to create unique combinations!
  • Use arbitrary fusions (Street-pass) to fuse any two characters. Over 146000 possible fusions!
  • Bra is playable!
  • Includes content from Dragon Ball Super!
  • Local multiplayer, and eventually online multiplayer!
  • Future support! Online multiplayer and trading, new characters and fusions (including some from Super)! Update will come early 2017.

mnvfUrf.png

In the far future, two youths gather the Dragon Balls. Their wish? "To hold the greatest martial arts contest ever!" The eternal dragon grants their wish, and bends space and time to bring together the greatest fighters of all times!

uuLCYoI.png

Alongside your favourite Dragon Ball characters (and Yamcha) you'll find many original characters which you can collect! Defeat certain opponents with a zenkai attack during battle to recruit them into your party! Gotta catch 'em all!™

29dnIOl.png

gKRIRq8.png

There are many types of fusions in Dragon Ball Fusions, but the star of the game are the EX Fusions! Using special rings designed by Capsule Corp, anyone can fuse, regardless of power levels! Just head into your ship and fuse whomever is compatible.

Potara fusions (earrings) are technically available in-game, although the results of these are simply characters as far as the game is concerned. To use Metamoran dance fusions you have to do so in battle.

Ultra fusion was created (by the Ginyu Force?!) to allow 5 people to fuse into one supremely powerful being. Fill your Ultra Gauge in battle and initiate a fusion of your entire party, and everyone caught in the range of your fusion is free game... for as long as the fusion lasts. Ultra fusions are dependant of the race and gender of the one who initiates the dance, so see if you can see all 9 variations.

Additional, arbitrary fusions (KF) allow you to fuse any two character through StreetPass. Only one can be had at a time, but this allows over 146000 possible fusions in total!

5zYCS18.png

Dragon Ball Fusions is a turn-based RPG, with small action elements. You have a party of five which you populate with characters recruited throughout the game. (Default party is your character, Goten, Trunks, Pan and Kid Goku). Each character is one of three types (Power, Technique, Speed) which affect the character stats, interactions and ki attacks.

Positioning is key! The arena is a wide place, and you can attack from any side! Attack a character where they don't guard to knock them back! You can even chain these knock-backs and send them crashing into their friends, causing a marble-like chain, damaging multiple enemies. Hit them into your own characters to bounce the enemies between them for extra damage. If you manage to send them flying out of the arena and ring them out, they'll receive even more damage! Position teammates next to your character when performing melee attacks for support. Be aware of AoE (area of effect) attacks and your position to your advantage!

Turn order is determined by the line at the bottom of the top screen, which shows portraits of the characters in the battle moving toward the right. When a portrait reaches the right, it's that character's turn! However, just because a character is closer to the end of the line doesn't mean they'll go first. A faster character may catch up and even surpass a slower one! Turn order also is affected by the special moves used and damage received. Ring-out an opponent to send them to the back of the line!

Ultra fusions and zenkai attacks allow you to enter an action minigame where you can beat up your opponent and obtain Ki Orbs needed to use Special Attacks. Fill the Ultra Gauge to unleash on your enemies! Watch out if you use a zenkai attack, though, as the enemy can counter you and escape.

325BXIw.png

Famitsu: 8, 8, 8, 9 [33]
Combining the various Dragon Ball characters and being able to see fusion forms is very interesting. Even though it feels like battles take a bit long at times, team fights are strategic and fun, with things like partners’ follow-up attacks, paying attention to ring out position, and using hand-to-hand fighting and energy blasts properly. The speedy action element is also well done with a “full force attack”, which you can use when scouting partners.

Gameblog.fr - Romain Mahut: 8 (French)
Dragon Ball Fusions est une vraie surprise. S'il était possible de s'attendre à un petit jeu qui misait tout sur les fusions inédites qu'il met en scène, il est en fait question d'un très bon jeu qui gardera l'attention des fans de Dragon Ball, y-compris ceux qui ne parlent pas japonais, pendant de très longues heures.

Attack of the Fanboy - Dean James: 3½★ - "Liked It"
Many Dragon Ball games from over the years have been criticized for playing it too safe, but Dragon Ball Fusions definitely tries something very new, even if it doesn’t all work to perfection.

Slant Magazine - Jed Pressgrove: 4★
Even when the outcome of the battle is predictable, how you execute the annihilation, along with the ensuing visual punctuation, can make Dragon Ball Fusions some of the best kinetic art you'll see in a turn-based RPG.

Destructoid - Peter Glagowski: 6 - "All Right"
If you’re a dedicated follower of Akira Toriyama’s work, then you’ll find a lot to enjoy with this title. It takes some risks and offers a complete compendium of characters from each installment of the anime. It also puts an emphasis on creativity with the fusion system, but lacks focus.

High-Def Digest - Tyler Treese: 4★
'Dragon Ball Fusions' delivers a fresh take on one of the most heavily adapted franchises. Not only is the role-playing game unique in that it tells an all-new story, it has a fantastic battle system that has plenty of depth hidden under an easy-to-learn exterior. This is a must-own 3DS title for fans of 'Dragon Ball,' and a good RPG that doesn't have to rely upon nostalgia as a core selling point.

More reviews to be added as they come

wuBCaue.png

Q: What's up with those release dates? o_O
A: I wish I knew! The release dates are a granulated mess. The US version was available since the 16th of November, even though the release date was the 22nd after being pushed forward from December. There's no real convincing reason why the game is coming out for most of Europe until 2017. Note, also, that the dates here come from online retailers so brick and mortar shops may release early, hopefully?

Q: How's the character creation?
A: Fairly in-depth as far as appearance goes: You can choose from 5 races, 4 of which have two genders, with Namekians being agender. The race even changes certain attributes. You can change your height, hairstyle and colour, voice, skin colour, face, and the colour of your clothes. You can also wear different costumes as you progress through the game. It's not exactly as in depth as Xenoverse 2 but it's more than serviceable.

Q: Is this dubbed?
A: Nope! However, this is not a bad thing! The game itself has very little spoken dialogue, and that's mostly exclamations when text boxes pop-up. You're not missing anything by not having voice over in other languages.

9HqXQ2K.jpg

~Announce Trailer trailer~
~First 85 minutes~
~GameXplain First Look Livestream~ (Warning: 3 hours long)

This is my first OT and I kinda did it on short notice. If I made a mistake or messed something up, feel free to correct me! OP's is being updated, so if you have a video or screenshots or reviews you want up here, feel free to inform me! Have fun!

May or may not display correctly on (mobile) dark theme.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
What's the verdict on Fusions? I really have no clue if it's an actual good game or not

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I want to get this and play it now, but Im in Aus and all 3DS's are region locked yeah?
Yep, region locked.

Tempted to buy a 3DS just to play this game.
Don't buy a 3DS just for this game. Buy a 3DS for all of the great games out for it!

What's the verdict on Fusions? I really have no clue if it's an actual good game or not
I've literally never heard a negative impression. Do you like Dragon Ball? Do you like light-RPGs/'jRPG's? Do you like (weirdly enough) Grandia? If you answered yes to any of those then you'll probably like this game.

Savitar

Heard nothing but good things about this, hell it seems to be much more fondly admired than Xeno 2.

Certainly looking forward to it, but us Canucks seem to be a bit behind on the release date.

Dragoshi1

Was gonna impulse buy, but I literally haven't heard any impressions from the usual outlets yet, so I'm hesitating(Plus have Pokemon Sun to play).

There's japanese impressions, but anything from the english version of the game?

Wow, checked out the trailer and the game looks amazing! Had not heard about it until this OT. Will definitely get it when it comes out.

NeonZ

I haven't gotten far yet, but I'm enjoying the game. The one thing that might annoy some people is that the custom characters have a rather limited selection of skills (which varies depending on the race), because the game seems to want to push the player towards fusing their avatar with other characters in order to get a more varied moveset (The avatar can use Ex Fusion with any other character in the game).

The two more common types of fusion (those being Potara and Metamoran dance fusions) are available technically, although the results of these are simply characters as far as the game is concerned.

Actually, a small correction - the dance fusions also are an unique mechanic here. You do face them as standard enemies, but, for the player, they're performed during battle and can't be used as standalone characters at all. Only the Potara fusions (so, pretty much only Kaioshin's fusion with Kibito and Vegetto) are standalone characters.

Also, they localized "Maxi Fusions" as "Ultra Fusions".

L Thammy

Actually, a small correction - the dance fusions also are an unique mechanic here. You do face them as standard enemies, but, for the player, they're performed during battle and can't be used as standalone characters at all. Only the Potara fusions (so, pretty much only Kaioshin's fusion with Kibito and Vegetto) are standalone characters.

Shouldn't Vegetto be a temporary fusion as well?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I sold my 3ds XL a year or two ago. Felt I did everything I wanted with that system....

Now though.. This game. I want this game, and that Disney land game...

Might get that damned 99 buckaroo thing..

Edit: when does it come out.. Best price on it?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Does the English version actually have online multiplayer? Japan's getting it with a patch but if the release of the last 3DS DB game is anything to go by (Extreme Butoden), they're releasing the English version without the patch and it'll take another 6+ months for them to roll it out.

DarkKyo

I'm waiting to get this game since I have Pokemon and soon XV to play through, but damn does this look awesome.

NeonZ

How's the character creation in this? Is there any?

Somehow, there aren't any videos showing it off. Anyway, you choose between 5 races (Earthling, Saiyan, Namekian, Alien or Offworlder). The first three are obvious enough, although Saiyans here do have tails, unlike in Xenoverse. They're worn as belts or hang out based on the outfit they're wearing

Alien references all other random alien races that worked for Freeza, with the actual creation options having some hair styles similar to the other races in the game and then hairless foreheads resembling some of the aliens who were part of Freeza's forces, like Ginyu and Burter.

Offworlders cover Kaioshins/Shinjins and Buus in a single race. The default outfit is Kaioshin based, but they have hair options that replace actual hair with Buu antennas and even Kid Buu's and Fat Buu's faces as options (No fat Majins can be created though). Demons like Dabura and Towa are also considered Off Worlders, but there aren't any creations pieces specific for demon characters in the initial creation.

Each race has an exclusive set of skills that basically has no overlap with the other races - like the humans start with Kamehameha, while Saiyans go with Galick Gun. You unlock more skill options while leveling up but they're still mostly exclusive with no overlapping. And after unlocking the ability to use them, you still need to get the skills by defeating enemies in battle while throwing them out of the arena, or allies using them. In order to expand your skills options beyond the basic racial options, you'll need to use Ex Fusions with your avatar.

After getting to Satan City, you get a clothing store, with the other initial outfits for the races you didn't chose. After any character from Dragonball joins your party, you also unlock their outfit in the store too - they're split in two pieces, top and pants, and you can choose the color of each one out of a palette of 20 or so color options - unlike in Xenoverse, you can choose the colors of the outfits of the main cast too, not only the original ones. This includes things like Freeza's or the Saibaimen's bio armor too. There are also some outfits based on npcs, like Bulma's sister's dress, or just random outfits worn by the cast elsewhere but not in the game, like Gohan's track suit from RoF. You can also change the outfits of the Ex Fusions of your avatar.

Does the English version actually have online multiplayer? Japan's getting it with a patch but if the release of the last 3DS DB game is anything to go by (Extreme Butoden), they're releasing the English version without the patch and it'll take another 6+ months for them to roll it out.
Yep, no patches. We're starting with the base game.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Added a FAQ to the OP!

Hey OP. Stop perpetuating the myth that Yamcha isn't the best DB character.

Wolf Fang Fist best attack.
oh_yamcha____by_letriforce-d4kflgy.jpg

The European fact sheet has online listed, so I added it. Gonna add a note for patches.

Caim

How's the character creation in this? Is there any?

Yeah when you start the game you pick a race and you get to choose gender and change the color of your starting clothes.

As you progress through the game and recruit other characters you unlock more costumes.

EDIT: Beaten!

NeonZ

Alright, thanks.

I also heard they removed the QR feature from the English version, is that true?

No QR codes either.

https://www.bandainamcoent.com/news/dragon-ball-fusion-now-available

This press release says we'll get all updates, from online battling and trading to new characters at once in a single update in early 2017.

A free DRAGON BALL Fusions downloadable update will be released in early 2017 that will implement online battles, an online special moves trading function, new characters, new fusion possibilities, and more. Additional details pertaining to the free update, including its release timing, will be shared at a later date.

I guess it's somehow cheaper for them?

Strings

Best Dragon Ball game since Budokai 3 for me.

Surprised by how much I'm digging the combat and how funny the script can get (Captain Ginyu being a total bro, etc). It looks absolutely stupid for a 3DS game too.

By no means perfect (the right type of energy failing to spawn for a gate can be super annoying), but really, really fun.

Added a FAQ to the OP!

oh_yamcha____by_letriforce-d4kflgy.jpg

The European fact sheet has online listed, so I added it. Gonna add a note for patches.

Oh come on bro, If you're going to troll Yamcha, you could do better than that.

Like this:

800px-Yamcha_found_dead.jpg

Or this:

enhanced-3005-1430344024-37.jpg

But at the end of the day he still hit this:

latest

Miletius

Hmm, this looks really promising. Didn't even realize this was coming out. Maybe I'll try to snag a copy for travel during the winter break.

Revven

I got this for free via someone on Twitter, haven't had the chance to play it (really deep into Pokemon right now) but I've heard nothing but good things about this game so I'm excited to play it when I do get the time. The whole fusions aspect of it is what makes me the most excited about it.

B00TE

Still going through Pokemon, but I started this up and couldn't put it down for a while. Didn't know about that update thing, that seems kinda odd. Whatever works though, hope it's out sooner as opposed to later.

Don't have it ordered yet, since Black Friday sale is coming soon and I might get it cheaper
also because I might (key word being might) win the raffle above
but I'm looking forward to get my hands on this game.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
This by far is one of the best Dragon Ball games out there. Really impressive how much work was put into the title and flying around the area maps is fantastic.

Top Bottom