• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT5| Zenophobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erigu

I'd say calling him lazy on this is disingenuous. He made a purposeful decision to have one supreme kai for each universe to reduce the number of characters and gives each universe a more identifiable set of characters knowing what was the case back in Z.
Let's say that wasn't forgetfulness, but a conscious decision (which, considering Toriyama's track record, seems quite charitable to me... just three years ago or so, he was saying there were three Kaiōshin at any given time, two active and one inactive, which contradicted the Majin Boo arc and has been contradicted by Dragon Ball Super since (plus, see the translator's note... the contradictions don't end there))...
It would still be a poor decision, as you could achieve the exact same result without contradicting what's been established during the Majin Boo arc by simply calling all those new Kaiōshin "Daikaiōshin".

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Toriyama didn't forget since he reread the manga when he wrote Battle of Gods. also, Shin was treated as a newbie in Z and Old Kai called him inexperience. Thousands of years means nothing to beings who live millions of years.

Regarding Shin, the kaioshin are gods, and presumably live for millions of years, if not forever

Who knows how long it takes to become a good kaioshin lol

Although we do know Shin has been around since "time immemorial" so really no excuses I guess

Late bump but in terms of Kaioushins ... isn't he a newbie? Even the old Kai in the sword made him look like a newbie back in DBZ.

Shin didn't know who Beerus was even though Beerus had only been sleeping for 30 some odd years.

So no, I'm not talking "newbie" in a relative sense where he's a thousand year old teenager, we're talking like Super wrote him as becoming Supreme Kai during Beerus's sleep. Even King Kai knew who Beerus was and Shin didn't.

Slaythe

Japanese fans are on another level, not even I can keep up.

c9e507b9f4764bcabacb9b4ebb0bfe51.jpg

Only villian I'd want to come back is Dabra. He's got a rich backstory and is bad fucking ass. Most underutilized character in the series. Dude should have had his own saga so we can explore the Demon Realm and their hierarchy of the Gods.

Speaking of Dabura, ever notice that his design shows up in different works of Toriyama?

022-1.png

Slaythe

To be fair, Toriyama is able to come up with an infinite amount to creativity... in one given world.

Yet he doesn't give a fuck if he is re-using existing designs for other games/books etc...

It's kinda funny.

Slaythe

wsj1986-49_mrho.jpg

This isn't Yamcha.

But yeah he keeps doing this. He can go on forever in Dragon Ball and keep coming up with clever designs, yet the second he can start over he's gonna go back to his classics.

I like it, even though it gives an impression that his art is limited (which isn't true at all of course).

NeonZ

That was pretty much standard for many Japanese artists back in the 70s and 80s, like Leiji Matsumoto (Yamato, Harlock), Go Nagai (Mazinger, Devilman) and Kurumada (Ring ni Kakero, Saint Seiya). Reusing designs for different series didn't seem to be an issue back then.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Episode 84 sounds great:
Krillin and 18 are the next two Goku and the others seek out to participate in the tournament. Gohan challenges Krillin to a fight to test his skills.

Slaythe

Awesome ! Are we at 83 or 82...? I forgot.

Also, while I do have quite a few of those figures, I don't have the money to buy the same ones more than once !!!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
wsj1986-49_mrho.jpg

This isn't Yamcha.

But yeah he keeps doing this. He can go on forever in Dragon Ball and keep coming up with clever designs, yet the second he can start over he's gonna go back to his classics.

I like it, even though it gives an impression that his art is limited (which isn't true at all of course).
The kanji reads "Mr. Failure"

HardRojo

I know GoDs are not supposed to fight among themselves but I'd love to watch a tag team battle between SSB Vegito with Beerus and Jiren with Vermouth (Bermod I guess is the official name now).

It bugs me that Goku/Trunks/Vegeta, hell, probably even post chamber Piccolo didn't fuck Cell up when he puked 18.

Btw I guess Cell is capable of regenerating the bodies of those inside him since Vegeta and Goku both destroy a lot of him.

Episode 84 sounds great:
Krillin and 18 are the next two Goku and the others seek out to participate in the tournament. Gohan challenges Krillin to a fight to test his skills.
Sounds good. Excited to see the new ED next week.
Glad Gohan is part of the recruiting effort
Also lol at people being upset about the preview saying Krillin is already retired from martial arts when the two parter about him had him say he wasn't going to become a martial artist, he was just going to get stronger for his daughter.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Also lol at people being upset about the preview saying Krillin is already retired from martial arts when the two parter about him had him say he wasn't going to become a martial artist, he was just going to get stronger for his daughter.
Gohan back with such an active role pleases me greatly. The only thing that would make this even better is some father/son training. Such an underutilized dynamic in Super after Z had some great moments.

NeonZ

Huh? No, he outright said hat he was becoming a martial artist again for his daughter (see the scene where he flies back to the Kame House together with Goku).

It bugs me that Goku/Trunks/Vegeta, hell, probably even post chamber Piccolo didn't fuck Cell up when he puked 18.

Btw I guess Cell is capable of regenerating the bodies of those inside him since Vegeta and Goku both destroy a lot of him.

Wasn't it that Cell regenerated himself based on the last known good configuration (when he had both of them inside him... god that sounds dirty)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom